Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Fretboard Cycling Club - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Fretboard Cycling Club

What's Hot

Comments

• MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 2863
    edited June 2023
    I feel like I've turned a corner the last two rides, where my fitness is now up to a point where I can really enjoy myself and it's not a torturous slog, Thursday night's mountain bike ride involved a lot of climbing at the start but I handled it ok and it was pure enjoyment. The same route two months ago was a killer! Last night was a 57km ride to Pwllheli along the coast, so no big climbs. I didn't push it and was comfortable for the whole ride. In fact I had loads of energy left, even breaking a PB for a mile long sprint segment that I set eight years ago, that was near the end of the ride. Really looking forward to the 50km sportive in two weeks time. 

Don't want to get too emotional here but I've really fallen for cycling this year and it's played a huge part in sorting myself out after a mid forties crisis last year. It's so fulfilling and I'm feeling as fit as I've ever done. Loving it. 

Here's a photo from the mtb ride, a real wow moment at the end of a big climb that made it all worth it.

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • JayceeJaycee Frets: 263
    @MagicPigDetective Glad it's getting easier and you are enjoying it.

There are a few Bike shops in Cardiff,  the larger ones being Tredz on Penarth road, Don Skene Newport Road, fairly easy to park, and Evans Cycles Dumfries Place in the middle of town just under a multi storey car park
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • MellishMellish Frets: 945
    @MagicPigDetective ; I can't speak for others, but I'll tell you how it was for me.

I'd get home after a ride, often a hilly 25, and I'd try to relax but I couldn't, and I knew I had to go out again.

Now I'm not suggesting YOU do that but cycling can get very addictive. 

:) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1128
    Not much biking for me this weekend as I was working in Fort William, but stopped off for a spin around Glen Coe on the way home today. It didn't seem too warm when I set off, but the sun came out on the first climb, and it quickly got a bit warmer :-/

I did get a nice pic overlooking Loch Leven

image.png 1.7M
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 8909
    Jaycee said:

There are a few Bike shops in Cardiff,  the larger ones being Tredz on Penarth road, Don Skene Newport Road, fairly easy to park, and Evans Cycles Dumfries Place in the middle of town just under a multi storey car park
    I’ve been faithful to Cyclopedia in all the years I’ve lived in Cardiif - I was in there about a month ago and they had quite a few nice Basso road bikes in stock. The others mentioned above are all good.
    Jaycee said:

I’ve been faithful to Cyclopedia in all the years I’ve lived in Cardiif - I was in there about a month ago and they had quite a few nice Basso road bikes in stock. The others mentioned above are all good.

They (Cyclopedia) have a good reputation,, having not been for years didn't know what thier stock was like, good to know 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Yes I do believe I'm hooked @Mellish ;

Thanks for the shop advice @jaycee and @thermionic ;

If I can ask yet another question.... what are your views on the relaxed, endurance v race geometry difference?

My Giant Defy (2015, Tiagra, Aluminium) is quite relaxed, more an endurance bike. It's the only road bike I've had, it feels comfortable, though I suspect it's a little large for me. I'm not someone who's racing and sprinting, though I want to get my average speed up, I also want to build my endurance and go for longer rides. At the moment, I don't spend that much time on the drop bars, though I'm trying to increase that. The roads around here are quite rough so I would like to improve comfort. 

I'm thinking of upgrading to something like a Giant Defy Advanced 1 or 2, which is an endurance bike (compared to the racier TCR). Carbon frame, comes with tubeless 32mm tyres.. I think it would suit my needs over a bike with a more racing geometry? Would a 'racing' bike really be that more uncomfortable? 

As for group set, is it worth paying 2-300 extra for the Ultegra over a 105? 

Any wisdom would be appreciated!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3144
    To generalise (as there will always be exceptions) a  full on "racing" bike will be more rigid and have a more aggressive position, stiffer frame, lower bar position etc. so won't be as comfortable for long rides but will be more responsive compared to a "tourer" which will be relaxed. 

What sort of riding to you want to do? Apologies if I've missed it upthread. If it were me I'd go for an endurance style bike - in comfort terms there's a lot to be said for wide tyres 
  • vanlooy1vanlooy1 Frets: 451
    Never ridden the Defy but I do own a TCR and it’s pretty lively but perfectly comfortable over long distances. Easy to tweak saddle position and stem length/height to make comfortable.
    It’s a fast bike, I really like it.
    Depends what you’re priority is I guess, I’m used to racing geometry so I would tend to gravitate towards that.
    I don’t think there’s any functional difference between 105 and Ultegra, Ultegra is just a bit lighter.
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 2863
    edited June 2023
    I want to ride say 50-100km (or more!) rides in this area, which usually includes a lot of climbing. Long term goal is to be able to ride mountain passes like Llanberis pass etc. No racing etc. Speed is great but not the priority.

I'm leaning towards an endurance bike. Hopefully will get a chance to view a few bikes later this week, including Defy and TCR's. 
    @drofluf ; yep, shorter wheelbase, livelier ride. You'll "feel" the road. Can numb your ulnar nerve but cork bar tape or double if you want.
    I liked 42/52 front with 10-17 on the back.

• vanlooy1vanlooy1 Frets: 451
    I want to ride say 50-100km (or more!) rides in this area, which usually includes a lot of climbing. Long term goal is to be able to ride mountain passes like Llanberis pass etc. No racing etc. Speed is great but not the priority.

I'm leaning towards an endurance bike. Hopefully will get a chance to view a few bikes later this week, including Defy and TCR's. 
    The stock wheels on these aren’t great, you may (or may not) want to budget for an upgrade.
  • I've got a Cinelli Pressure (definitely a "race" bike) and Cannondale Synapse (endurance). The Cinelli is a bit quicker but the Synapse is way more comfortable on long days, more relaxed geometry, 32mm tyres (room for 35's), 34x34 lowest gear so hills aren't "that" much of a problem.

Whilst a 100km ride on the Cinelli is do-able, I'd always take the 'Dale out for those. Race bikes are basically designed, obviously, for racing.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    Mellish said:
    @drofluf ; yep, shorter wheelbase, livelier ride. You'll "feel" the road. Can numb your ulnar nerve but cork bar tape or double if you want.
    I liked 42/52 front with 10-17 on the back.

Those ratios would destroy me. I have a new groupset next to me which I’m waiting for the LBS to fit; it’s 42 front and 11/40 at the back
    edited June 2023
    @drofluf 10-17 on the back is the sort of close ratio TT thing, not always 10-17 but that one tooth jump is what you want..you know, a one-tooth drop down, say, won't affect your cadence in a way that going from 12-14 may.

Hope that makes sense  
    @Mellish totally get the logic. Undestand close ratios especially for TT, my riding is gentmanly club runs and I need the low ratios to winch me up the hills :) think I’d be doing more walking than riding with 42:17!
    Thing is to enjoy it @drofluf. If you achieve that, you're getting it right.

Mellish said:
    Thing is to enjoy it @drofluf. If you achieve that, you're getting it right.

Couldn’t agree more!
  • jimmydjimmyd Frets: 53
    Yes I do believe I'm hooked @Mellish ;

Thanks for the shop advice @jaycee and @thermionic ;

If I can ask yet another question.... what are your views on the relaxed, endurance v race geometry difference?

My Giant Defy (2015, Tiagra, Aluminium) is quite relaxed, more an endurance bike. It's the only road bike I've had, it feels comfortable, though I suspect it's a little large for me. I'm not someone who's racing and sprinting, though I want to get my average speed up, I also want to build my endurance and go for longer rides. At the moment, I don't spend that much time on the drop bars, though I'm trying to increase that. The roads around here are quite rough so I would like to improve comfort. 

I'm thinking of upgrading to something like a Giant Defy Advanced 1 or 2, which is an endurance bike (compared to the racier TCR). Carbon frame, comes with tubeless 32mm tyres.. I think it would suit my needs over a bike with a more racing geometry? Would a 'racing' bike really be that more uncomfortable? 

As for group set, is it worth paying 2-300 extra for the Ultegra over a 105? 

Any wisdom would be appreciated!

I would definitely go with 105 and spend the difference on upgrading the wheels it comes with. 

I built up a winter / tourer Kinesis 4s with 10 speed Tiagra and it's great. I've also got a BMC Team machine with SRAM Red so know what having a fancy groupset feels like and I reckon you'd be great with 105...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited June 2023

I like the Defy and the TCR,  having said that, I have a Propel advanced 1 (came up at the right time and price) which I find comfortable, just try a few out and see what feels right.

I would have preferred a Defy or TCR purely for the way they look.

What @jimmyd said about wheel upgrading makes a lot of sense. It's revolving weight, and you want that to be as low as you can afford. 

Mellish said:
    What @jimmyd said about wheel upgrading makes a lot of sense. It's revolving weight, and you want that to be as low as you can afford. 

I put 105 on my Giant SCR and I have Ultegra on the Propel not a huge difference if any on how they perform, but the wheels in the picture I got from China carbon Super Team 50mm made a big improvement, smoother more comfortable and actually accelerated when I got out of the saddle, done over 3000 miles on them gone over some nasty potholes and all thats been needed was a slight turn of the spoke nipple.
    @Jaycee I never bought ready-made wheels. Not that I thought they weren't good enough cos many clearly were and still are, but I liked to choose rim, spokes and hub separately - a custom wheel, if you like.

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 8909
    My main bike is a race bike from about 15 years ago and I don’t know much about modern geometry to be honest. Before I buy my next bike I will need to pay for a fitting so I can understand what modern sizing is all about!

I agree that you’re better off putting more money towards some lighter wheels. I haven’t ridden Shimano since the late 90s but I don’t think you’ll be disappointed by 105. I have Veloce on my winter bike which is probably equivalent to something a bit below 105, and that works flawlessly.
    My current drivetrains, Sora and Tiagra, are both more than 5 years old and are fine. The Sora is more clunky but still shifts fine. So I think you’ll be fine with any of the modern Shimano kit. Haven’t used SRAM or Campagnolo so can’t speak for them
  • NikcNikc Frets: 613
    105 is a great groupset its what I run on my Supersix no need to go further up the food chain. 
  • NightswanNightswan Frets: 1142
    This is a bike I built myself a few years back....was a pretty big check list to make sure I had everything I needed but I managed to do it and ordered all the stuff within 3 days. Kuota Kuraro. Sram S60 wheels. Full Ultegra Group Set, Look Pedals, Deda Bars and Stem. Those wheels are a proper bugger to ride with on windy days...lol!!

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    @Nightswan ; well done mate - proper aero rims there!

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7708
    Oh my word, took part in a "fun" club race yesterday. 13.6 km 600hm... quite a few of the kids from the race team took part, youngest was 11.

Cycled my heart out, got PBs... came dead last by a considerable distance!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    @Teetonetal ; no shame in that mate. 

If you enjoyed taking part, it's job done. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter