Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Fretboard Cycling Club - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Fretboard Cycling Club

What's Hot

Comments

• MellishMellish Frets: 945
    @punchesjudy ; if it's Peterbrough City Hospital, they'll look after you mate. I'm with them. They operated on me last week when other NHS hospitals said it was too risky. Improved me by 80%.

:)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 493
    Anyone else watching Tour De France Unchained on Netflix?  Only watched the first episode but pretty good so far. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • bobblehat said:
    Anyone else watching Tour De France Unchained on Netflix?  Only watched the first episode but pretty good so far. 
    Yes also watched the first episode, enjoyed it, good insights.
  • PjonPjon Frets: 203
    bobblehat said:
    I'm about half-way though the series and am finding it irritating and interesting in equal measure. Often, the commentary doesn't match with what's happening on screen. (Commentary: 'He's making a break for the finish line!'. Me: 'No, that's an intermediate sprint, you idiot.') The voice overs are very distracting, so I shall find a way to turn them off, and it's a pity that they don't explain the race a bit better, but then it's not really aimed at me, someone who's watched pro-cycling for decades. It's better than not having cycling on TV!
    Jaycee said:
    Mellish said:
    @Jaycee ; I'm not quite understanding - a '"big difference" in a good or bad way?

I assume in a good way. 

Good way, I have an allergy to anything over 5%  =) one of the hills was 12-15% in places :#
    To get home tonight (or any night) I have to climb the hill I live on which averages 8% roughly, with the steepest parts at over 20%. I ride a lot but never get any lighter - maybe it's because I drink so much to wipe the memory of the climbing from my mind! :D 

To give an idea, there is an official cycle path the other side of the hill which climbs 192ft in 0.44 mile, which is average 8% gradient according to Strava. Also, to give an idea of what the professionals do, Mont Ventoux is an average of 7.4% for 21.3km! I think Ventoux is still the biggest climb I've ever ridden.
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3144
    Any interest in a Fretboard cycling club on Strava? VC Fretboard has a nice ring to it :)

@Pjon if you want to be lighter, try a heartrate monitor (available at any good cycle shop.

They have a weight loss zone you use on rides. 

edited June 2023
    Mellish said:
    @Pjon if you want to be lighter, try a heartrate monitor (available at any good cycle shop.

They have a weight loss zone you use on rides. 

Thanks Mellish, that was tongue in cheek really. I'm a bit heavier than I should be, but not far off. Indeed, I was confused for a 70kg racing snake yesterday despite being just over 80! D 
    @Pjon no worries, just that it's there if needed.

What you do is go for a morning ride (no breakfast, take no carbs with you) and force your body to use stored fat as an energy source. The monitor is simply a tool that keeps you in the fat-burning zone by emitting beeps if you go above or below. Ideally you'd choose an easy loop to do this.

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7708
    drofluf said:
    Any interest in a Fretboard cycling club on Strava? VC Fretboard has a nice ring to it :)

I'd be in, it's always interesting to see where people ride and associated stats.
  • vanlooy1vanlooy1 Frets: 451
    drofluf said:

I'd be in, it's always interesting to see where people ride and associated stats.
    Me too!
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1128
    drofluf said:

Not very far and not very fast just now!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3144
    drofluf said:

Ok, you should be able to find it here. https://www.strava.com/clubs/1147955
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 8909
    In!
    In!
    Joined (Matt Phillips).
  • punchesjudypunchesjudy Frets: 926
    Joined. Not that I’ll biking proper atm. 
  • benecolbenecol Frets: 394
    In, and straight to the top of the chart (rather flamboyantly).
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 2863
    edited June 2023
    Joined… (Geraint).

Superb mtb ride tonight discovering new local trails…. such a beautiful evening.

• m_cm_c Frets: 1128
    I'm the mystery one who joined.

Just had a quick spin tonight, as I was late away from work, and had to get a couple things done once I got home.
    Trails were the loosest I've seen them in quite a while :)
  • In as well (Bruce), fair warning though I'm old and slow so be expecting any KOM's on my page! :D

littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • JayceeJaycee Frets: 263
    edited June 2023
    Pjon said:
    Jaycee said:
    Mellish said:
    @Jaycee ; I'm not quite understanding - a '"big difference" in a good or bad way?

I assume in a good way. 

Good way, I have an allergy to anything over 5%  one of the hills was 12-15% in places
    To get home tonight (or any night) I have to climb the hill I live on which averages 8% roughly, with the steepest parts at over 20%. I ride a lot but never get any lighter - maybe it's because I drink so much to wipe the memory of the climbing from my mind! D 

To give an idea, there is an official cycle path the other side of the hill which climbs 192ft in 0.44 mile, which is average 8% gradient according to Strava. Also, to give an idea of what the professionals do, Mont Ventoux is an average of 7.4% for 21.3km! I think Ventoux is still the biggest climb I've ever ridden.

I have a hill 50 metres from the house probably 200 metres long avg 10%, I used to dread going up it  but no problem now.

I would love to do one of the Alp climbs, 

drofluf said:
    drofluf said:

Ok, you should be able to find it here. https://www.strava.com/clubs/1147955

Just joined .....  J C

• bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 493
    Pjon said:
    bobblehat said:
    I'm about half-way though the series and am finding it irritating and interesting in equal measure. Often, the commentary doesn't match with what's happening on screen. (Commentary: 'He's making a break for the finish line!'. Me: 'No, that's an intermediate sprint, you idiot.') The voice overs are very distracting, so I shall find a way to turn them off, and it's a pity that they don't explain the race a bit better, but then it's not really aimed at me, someone who's watched pro-cycling for decades. It's better than not having cycling on TV!
    I get what your saying about the voice overs and commentary. The original audio is in French and they haven't done a great job with the English version. Can be a bit jarring at times. Its also likely that our ears are tuned to the likes of Ned Boulting and Rob Hatch etc. 
  • JayceeJaycee Frets: 263
    bobblehat said:
    Its also likely that our ears are tuned to the likes of Ned Boulting and Rob Hatch etc. 

Who talk too much, gets annoying, Paul Sherwen and  Phil Ligget had it just right
    Joined. You will all get sick of my daily commute! :D 
    bobblehat said:
    Pjon said:
    bobblehat said:
    I get what your saying about the voice overs and commentary. The original audio is in French and they haven't done a great job with the English version. Can be a bit jarring at times. Its also likely that our ears are tuned to the likes of Ned Boulting and Rob Hatch etc. 
    We put it on the original French with English subtitles last night - much better.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7708
    edited June 2023
    Super sad to hear the news that swiss rider Gino Mader has died during the TdS following a high speed crash on the descent of the Albula pass, where he fell off the mountain.

I used to live in Davos and know that pass really well. It's a hell of a descent. The speeds these guys go on these roads is astonishing and I honestly don't know how they do it the riders are so brave.

Really sad day for cycling.
  • AndyDAndyD Frets: 2
    Super sad to hear the news that swiss rider Gino Mader has died during the TdS following a high speed crash on the descent of the Albula pass, where he fell off the mountain.
    Very sad news - RIP Gino
    Yes, RIP Gino. 

Thanks for what you gave to pro cyclimg. 

Shocking news, heartbreaking.
  • Awful news.

Moving awkwardly to another subject.. I'm looking for a new bike (cycle2work so has to be new) and the stock for smaller frames is very limited. I like the look of the Canyon Endurace CF 7 but there's a wait until May 2024! 

I’ll be in Cardiff this week, might have a look in Bristol’s Giant and Ribble stores. Any other good bike shops in that area?