Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Fretboard Cycling Club - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Fretboard Cycling Club

What's Hot

Comments

• CrankyCranky Frets: 2109
    Wow @Cranky ... WOW! Stunning landscape and trails. Were there others about or did you have the place to yourself? 
    There were a couple others.  Weekends and lunch hour can get a little busy, but by midsummer it naturally thins out as the other trail options (plenty of intersections to “try again” or choose another route) open up.

@BRISTOL86 Tahoe Rim Trail is pretty fantastic if you’re not afraid of heights.  Flume Trail from Spooner Lake up to Marlette Lake let’s you look down at Tahoe (dense pine forest all around). But really there’s no shortage of organized trails and open spaces if you draw a circle around Reno, Auburn, Placerville, Tahoe.  There’s more outside that circle, but pretty much anywhere within that circle you will be eating, sleeping and lodging well when the ride’s done.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7708
    @Cranky love those pics, looks like damn fine mountain bike country!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited April 2023
    @Cranky love those pics, looks like damn fine mountain bike country!
    Well, we’ve had these mountains for a while now.  We just needed the bikes.

It really is a beautiful place.  From Tahoe out to redwood country and Big Sur, there’s no shortage of protected open spaces.

Another beautiful area for hiking and biking in real mountains is the red rock country of southern Utah up into Colorado. 

(Yes, I’m very much partial to the western US.)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1916
    Longest ride in the books today! Home to Bradford on Avon and back. 

It was actually 2.5 miles longer than the GPS recorded, because 2.5 miles was done through the ‘Two Tunnels Greenway’ which includes what is apparently the longest cycle tunnel in the UK at 1.03 miles. Surreal experience - pitch black for a mile but classical music being piped in to the speakers every 300 yards or so! Quite bizarre!

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1499
    Started my new work commute and loving it.

https://flic.kr/p/2i4fNXJ
    edited April 2023
    Did my longest ever ride today. 139km taking parts of lago maggiore and lake lugano. Crossed the swiss Italian boarder 3 times too!

Really beautiful place to ride a bike, if you ever get the chance. 

Route and photos here: https://strava.app.link/Sje3T5Zu3yb

Question to those of you that regularly do long rides, tomorrow, should I just rest, or do a very easy ride?
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1128
    It depends. I usually plan for a day off, then go for an easier ride, however see how you feel.
    Sometimes a gentle spin helps, but other times it just seems to  prolong suffering.

I've found that hydration and nutrition are a bigger concern after tough days.
    edited April 2023
    Did my longest ever ride today. 139km taking parts of lago maggiore and lake lugano. Crossed the swiss Italian boarder 3 times too!

Question to those of you that regularly do long rides, tomorrow, should I just rest, or do a very easy ride?
    Ok you’re just taking the piss out of me now lol 

Sounds stunning! Can’t see any pics on your Strava post though. 
    BRISTOL86 said:

That's a shame, it's a really beautiful part of Switzerland, maybe photos are private?

This is only the 2nd time I've done more than 33 miles :smile: the last was nearly 10 years ago, but this year I am feeling quite fit, I'm a bit lighter than normal and my family is away, so it felt like a good time to try for a big one.

How the pros do such rides in a couple of hours, day after day is a beyond me!!!

Loving the pics from your ride, when I first started cycling I did quite a bit in Surrey, its a very pretty county with some nice routes.  Not sure I like the sound of the tunnel though - very surreal :)

m_c said:
    It depends. I usually plan for a day off, then go for an easier ride, however see how you feel.
    Sometimes a gentle spin helps, but other times it just seems to  prolong suffering.

I'm feeling ok today, just a little "heavy" so I think a short 20 min spin might help shift some lactic acid.

I definitely feel dehydrated though.

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 3144

I did my first club ride in ages on Saturday so feel I have valid advice :)

My "recovery" yesterday was mainly spent lying around complaining about how much everything hurt and groaning every time I moved.

Maybe this will work for you too?
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • MellishMellish Frets: 945
    It's interesting to see ride info, your gear and how you go about recovery.

I competed in TTs, Hill Climb events. I'd fuel up the day before and have a banana minutes before my ride.
    On "rest" day I'd still be out but only spinning.

Bikes were often lighter back then. Does that surprise you? Back then brake calipers weighed nothing but today you have built-in gear shifts too. Not a bad thing but it increases weight.

:) 
  • JayceeJaycee Frets: 263
    edited April 2023
    Is that Bath The pic with your bike in? @BRISTOL86 ;
    BRISTOL86 said:

That's a shame, it's a really beautiful part of Switzerland, maybe photos are private?

This is only the 2nd time I've done more than 33 miles :smile: the last was nearly 10 years ago, but this year I am feeling quite fit, I'm a bit lighter than normal and my family is away, so it felt like a good time to try for a big one.

How the pros do such rides in a couple of hours, day after day is a beyond me!!!

Loving the pics from your ride, when I first started cycling I did quite a bit in Surrey, its a very pretty county with some nice routes.  Not sure I like the sound of the tunnel though - very surreal :)

m_c said:

I'm feeling ok today, just a little "heavy" so I think a short 20 min spin might help shift some lactic acid.

I definitely feel dehydrated though.

Ah yes that would make sense about the photos being private! 

Yes I'm with you on that! I'm very generally active and fit, but my word I'm feeling every mile of those 35 today, and that's hardly a long ride by even enthusiast standards!

The tunnel was just utterly bizarre! It was lit, but so dimly that you literally couldn't see in front of your face other than what my light was illuminating. I came upon runners who I saw only at the very last minute even with a very bright bike light shining in front of me! And then to pass a speaker every so often playing classical music - just very bizarre!

Here are some google photos of it and some info

(It was nothing like this brightly lit!)

Two Tunnels Greenway

Two Tunnels Greenway - Wikipedia
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 2863
    edited April 2023
    I've been doing 2-3 rides per week for a month and I'm slowly getting stronger, the climbs I failed on last month I can now do, and I'm trying to attack them more and get out of my seat more. The cadence meter is making a big difference, trying to keep to a steady 80-90 ish is definitely helping me find the right gear and to keep a good, consistent pace. That feeling of progression as you get fitter is fantastic. Not used the heart monitor yet. 

I've now signed up for the 46 mile Anglesey Tour de Mon Sportive so need to start building up the distance from the regular 17 milers I've been doing, plus fit a few mtb rides in. 

Here's the Tour de Mon small route
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 8909
    edited April 2023
    Good luck with the Tour de Môn. As I grew up right in the middle of the island I couldn’t resist the chance of riding around the entire island in one day! First one was nice, second one it rained all day due to a freak weather formation from Spain.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited April 2023
    @BRISTOL86 that building your bike is leaning at - is that the cafe stop?  

@MagicPigDetective ; you'll be OK doing around 50 miles. Someone said above that if you can do 17 you can do that, and he's right. There's nothing about it that should make you nervous. Just pace yourself and you'll be fine  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Good luck with the Tour de Môn. As I grew up right in the middle of the island I couldn’t resist the chance of riding around the entire island in one day! First one was nice, second one it rained all day due to a freak weather formation from Spain.
    Diolch Rhys. Yes I'm praying for good weather as the scenery is stunning of course... hopefully not too much of the Môn winds! I've also signed up to the On Yer Bike sportive, 50km from Llangefni 

https://www.angleseycyclinggroup.co.uk/onyerbike2023?fbclid=IwAR1VCt1g_CQ4spDUTd811abU2kGOfSDcgKv1ZNlk0Zx5yW82XQadpPVJIhw

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2775
    Picked a great day to get back into riding mtb! Nothing crazy, did a loop of the red and blue trails at Woburn then went over to the bike park for a few runs of the transfer line. My fitness is shocking on the bike now, I'm absolutely shattered! Glad I didn't go to Cannock like I'd planned as I think I would have passed out on the big fire road climb :) Had a great time though, I haven't lost too much of my descending ability luckily. Fully converted to SPDs now, so much more confidence on a hardtail with no worrying about if my feet are planted. 

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    @TTBZ sounds like fun. Cannock was where I fell in love with mtb.

I've gone the other way and moved from spd to flats.. I have more confidence knowing I can kick the bike away when it all goes wrong!
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2775
    I had a few sketchy moments on some of the tighter rooty switchback climbing sections, managed to get my foot out just in time :) I think if I get another FS I'll probably go back to flats, it's just on a hardtail it feels like they're getting bounced about all the time. 
  • Went my furthest ever distance today, 27 miles, got quite high up into the mountains, spectacular scenery but bloody rough roads! It was hard work, I'm trying to take in more carbs on my rides. Very tired tonight!

Haven't been on my mountain bike for a couple of weeks, might go to Coed y Brenin on Monday.

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 4790
    edited April 2023
    Great work @MagicPigDetective, well on the way for that Tour de Mon

If anyone's interested in what insanity looks like, this guy is nearing the end of a Zwift V-Everesting. 500+ Km, 8848m elavation, over 17 hours on an indoor trainer!!!

littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • NikcNikc Frets: 613
    My youngest is doing Devon Coast to Coast mid May (over two days) with his school. So being a good Dad I've taken him and one of his mates out for the odd training ride. 

Turns out I'm a bad parent both had to skip school on Friday after joining me on a 'Light' training spin - just plain worn out =)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Went my furthest ever distance today, 27 miles, got quite high up into the mountains, spectacular scenery but bloody rough roads! It was hard work, I'm trying to take in more carbs on my rides. Very tired tonight!

Haven't been on my mountain bike for a couple of weeks, might go to Coed y Brenin on Monday.

This is beautiful.  I would ride a lot more if I lived somewhere like this.  Those clouds and the greenery are so inviting.

I have great MTB terrain, but it’s exceedingly hot from about 10am on from May-Sept and I’m pathologically incapable of morning exercise.
    edited April 2023
    @MagicPigDetective ; during the ride, little and often for both food and water.
    Banana, Mars, energy drink are all good and water. 
    If you go all weak when out (the bonk), something sweet will get you home if there's a shop handy. 

There WAS a guy (can't recall his name) who would eat 17 Mars bars before each Tour de France stage. Don't try that!

• vanlooy1vanlooy1 Frets: 451
    Mellish said:
    @MagicPigDetective ; during the ride, little and often for both food and water.
    Banana, Mars, energy drink are all good and water. 
    If you go all weak when out (the bonk), something sweet will get you home if there's a shop handy. 

There WAS a guy (can't recall his name) who would eat 17 Mars bars before each Tour de France stage. Don't try that!

Sean Yates was the Mars muncher
    Thankfully as much as I love a Mars bar (and most chocolate :/ ), if I eat chocolate before/during a ride it gives me indigestion, so at least I eat sensibly before/during rides.

One tip is if you crave food after riding and the following day or two, it's likely because you've not had enough protein.
    As for my riding, I managed to hit the Strava climbing challenge again this month, finishing it off with a rather incident prone ride on Wednesday evening, as event support season has kicked off with two days work this weekend, and I thought I better check the big bouncy bike still works before taking it on holiday next week.

Crashed three times.
    First time was a gentle lean/bar digger onto a scree slope.
    Second was a high side over the bars after clipping a tree, which gave me enough time to consider how much the landing/stopping might hurt. Thankfully after the world stopped spinning, only a few scrapes and a touch of concussion were gained.
    And then to complete the hattrick, went down another steep trail, slid a bit, went over the bars, and landed in a tangled heap on top the berm. I did remain tangled for a short period while I considered the evening's choices.

However since I can't ride this weekend, and the weather was dry and almost warm after work yesterday, the road bike got it's first outside spin of the year. Only did 27km, but it highlighted how much fitness I've lost, so I want to work back up to doing a monthly 100km, as that seems to be my happy spot for maximising mountain bike fitness.
  • NikcNikc Frets: 613
    Anyone interested in a decent Gravel Ride this might be of interest 

https://www.addventuregrs.com/  

Organised by a Club mate of mine we are also running an Open TT around Thruxton Race Circuit the evening before ;)
    edited May 2023
    @Surfguy13 is sadly having to sell his road bike.
    It's an absolute steal! Head over to "Misc£" to take a look.