Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Fretboard Cycling Club - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Fretboard Cycling Club

What's Hot

Comments

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 8909
    vanlooy1 said:
    Well, if we’re showing our bikes off……

Summer ^^^^^^

Autumn/spring/occasionally winter ^^^^^
    Love that Mercian. I might get one some day…
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • JayceeJaycee Frets: 263
    Good to see you guys getting out.

I have a Garnin 130 on my road bike, and a igpsport on my gravel which I use in the winter.  The cold weather drains the battery in the Garmin so quickly, the igpsport has a claimed battery life of 40 hours, i have got  at least 20 hours out of it over a 2 week period. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • MellishMellish Frets: 945
    I had a Pinarello. It had a Campag groupset but I really can't remember which.

It came from Gibbons Cycles in Spalding. That was where I'd go for all my cycle bits and bobs, even though my home town of Grantham had Don Ray Cycles. 

You'd find me out in all weather's. In winter on an old but reliable bike with fixed wheel. 
    Often I'd be riding along with clubmates, often 15-20 of us.

The good old days. 

• CrankyCranky Frets: 2109
    edited April 2023
    Cranky is jelly.  I want a new bike now.

What’s the fastest you all have done on a bicycle?  I got up to around 100k/hour once (on a road bike), it was pretty terrifying, I was actually kinda riding the brakes going downhill.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1128
    I've hit 52mph on the road bike, but I'm more concerned that the speed didn't concern me, than the fact I was going that fast :/
    Mellish said:
    I had a Pinarello. It had a Campag groupset but I really can't remember which.

It came from Gibbons Cycles in Spalding. That was where I'd go for all my cycle bits and bobs, even though my home town of Grantham had Don Ray Cycles. 

You'd find me out in all weather's. In winter on an old but reliable bike with fixed wheel. 
    Often I'd be riding along with clubmates, often 15-20 of us.

The good old days. 

I’ve had two Pinarellos, steel winter frames with mudguards and Campagnolo Veloce groupsets. I wrote the first one off when I rode into a submerged pothole and ended up with 20 stitches in my face. The replacement rusted through from the inside of the chainstays. I have an aluminium De Rosa now for the winter and a rather old Colnago C50 for the summer, which I’ve been planning to replace for a while but can’t decide what to get. I also have a steel Colnago Master which I bought way back in 1999 and gets taken out on nice days when I know we’re not heading for some serious climbs (39x25 lowest gear.)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Cranky said:

What’s the fastest you all have done on a bicycle?  I got up to around 100k/hour once (on a road bike), it was pretty terrifying, I was actually kinda riding the brakes going downhill.
    Hitting 50mph used to be the thing. My first club had a route which included “The 49er”, so called because nobody had got over 49mph on it. I did hit 50mph a couple of times later when I was fearless and in my twenties, glad I got that out of my system!

Sometimes Carlton Kirby (Eurosport) will ask his co-commentator Sean Kelly about his fastest descent in the Alps during the Tour de France and Sean will modestly admit to hitting 124 km/h.
    @thermionic ; did you find the Pinarello's a bit twitchy? They're very responsive.

:) 
    Cranky said:

Hitting 50mph used to be the thing. My first club had a route which included “The 49er”, so called because nobody had got over 49mph on it. I did hit 50mph a couple of times later when I was fearless and in my twenties, glad I got that out of my system!

Sometimes Carlton Kirby (Eurosport) will ask his co-commentator Sean Kelly about his fastest descent in the Alps during the Tour de France and Sean will modestly admit to hitting 124 km/h.
    All I could think about was how I probably didn’t mount the front wheel properly.  Skis, bikes, whatever, I don’t like going too fast.
  • vanlooy1vanlooy1 Frets: 451
    vanlooy1 said:
    Well, if we’re showing our bikes off……

Summer ^^^^^^

Autumn/spring/occasionally winter ^^^^^
    Love that Mercian. I might get one some day…
    Thanks, it’s a pro lugless, custom built a few years ago now, just as quick as my carbon bike!
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1916
    Cranky said:

Yesterday’s 40mph was a new high for me. Not something I pursued, just something I noticed. 

Though oddly Strava shows my high on the same ride as 44.4mph even though the Wahoo shows 40.0 and it’s the Wahoo that writes the workout to Strava. Odd. 

I have noticed some oddities in the integration between Wahoo/Strava/Apple Fitness as since I got the GPS my phone is writing ‘steps’ to Apple Health when I’m on a bike ride which is really weird/annoying as I have to go in and delete them after for the time period I was riding. Never happened before I had the GPS and I’ve turned off permission for the Wahoo app to write to Health, but they still appear. 
    BRISTOL86 said:
    Cranky said:

Yesterday’s 40mph was a new high for me. Not something I pursued, just something I noticed. 

Though oddly Strava shows my high on the same ride as 44.4mph even though the Wahoo shows 40.0 and it’s the Wahoo that writes the workout to Strava. Odd. 

I have noticed some oddities in the integration between Wahoo/Strava/Apple Fitness as since I got the GPS my phone is writing ‘steps’ to Apple Health when I’m on a bike ride which is really weird/annoying as I have to go in and delete them after for the time period I was riding. Never happened before I had the GPS and I’ve turned off permission for the Wahoo app to write to Health, but they still appear. 
    As in literal steps?  Running 40 mph? Lol.

That is annoying.

I don’t have anything like that for tracking.  I used to have a device zip tied to my road bike for a while that used a magnet/sensor on the rear wheel to track speed, kWh, etc.  I only got up to 60 mph because of a long hill (I live in mountains at around 5k feet).  Nowadays the Peloton is my road bike and then I MTB if I wanna have actual fun, but I’m always a chicken about speed, jumps and stuff.
    Mellish said:
    @thermionic ; did you find the Pinarello's a bit twitchy? They're very responsive.

I thought it was great, had a longish top tube like the Colnagos I’ve had (suits my body shape, short legs for my height so I like to be stretched out). It didn’t have any toeclip overlap, even with mudguards - which is often a problem with small (51cm centre-centre) frames.
    @thermionic ; tell you who else can make a great frameset: Raleigh. I never owned one but I tried 'em. Their 753 could compete with any others around at the time. 

Cranky said:
    BRISTOL86 said:
    Cranky said:

As in literal steps?  Running 40 mph? Lol.

That is annoying.

I don’t have anything like that for tracking.  I used to have a device zip tied to my road bike for a while that used a magnet/sensor on the rear wheel to track speed, kWh, etc.  I only got up to 60 mph because of a long hill (I live in mountains at around 5k feet).  Nowadays the Peloton is my road bike and then I MTB if I wanna have actual fun, but I’m always a chicken about speed, jumps and stuff.
    Yeah the phone is writing steps to my overall step count even though I’m recording a cycle on my watch. The phone and watch are linked so in my head, there should be no steps recorded during the time that the cycling workout is active. 

The Apple Fitness app tells you the source of the recorded steps so you can differentiate between steps being written by the watch or the phone, and these phantom steps are definitely coming from the phone. Quite why it’s doing it I’m not sure, but it’s really annoying having to delete them out manually every time I go out on the bike!

I made a false equivalency in assuming it was because of the Wahoo - the reason the two are linked is because since I got the Wahoo, I started taking my phone with me on a bike ride, whereas before I would be using my old phone mounted to the bike.
    Got out for my first ride of the season, was going to share a couple pics but I have no way of doing so.  Image URLs don’t show and I don’t have an option to upload an image in either the mobile or desktop version of the site.
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3819
    m_c said:

That seat looks hella high for a mountain bike? 
    I'm 6'4" so every seat looks high when up!

Just meant it almost looks dangerous. 
    The saddle is usually right down out of the way as you're standing up most of the time. 
  • m_c said:

The saddle is usually right down out of the way as you're standing up most of the time. 
    The bike has a dropper post for that. I’m just getting to know the dropper post on my new mtb.. I’d not heard of them till recently… a great invention. 
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3819
    m_c said:

The bike has a dropper post for that. I’m just getting to know the dropper post on my new mtb.. I’d not heard of them till recently… a great invention. 

Ah right cool, just looked a bit concerning. 
  • Cranky said:
    Got out for my first ride of the season, was going to share a couple pics but I have no way of doing so.  Image URLs don’t show and I don’t have an option to upload an image in either the mobile or desktop version of the site.
    Paste the image Url into the drop down above the text box, (a rectangle with a folded corner), and press SPACE.
    That should work. It'd be good to see your pics. 
    Cranky said:
    Paste the image Url into the drop down above the text box, (a rectangle with a folded corner), and press SPACE.
    What if I just wanna upload a pic from my phone?
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 2863
    edited April 2023
    Cranky said:
    Cranky said:
    What if I just wanna upload a pic from my phone?
    You can't do that. You have to load the image up on a site such as Imgur first

How to post pics, Imgur - Help & Feedback Discussions on theFretBoard

Edit: Actually you can if you subscribe 

NEW - SUBSCRIPTIONS! Get image uploads and no ads! - Help & Feedback Discussions on theFretBoard
    edited April 2023

Guess I figured out the pics.

This is a typical ride for me.  Starts in the high desert and moves up into sub-alpine and, if you’re up for it, proper alpine riding.  This particular ride is all that’s available here until more snow melts, sometime in June, where more options and better alpine trails will open up.  Elevation ranges from about 4500 to 7000 ft, but these pics are probably up to around 5500-6000 ft.  The switchbacks can be hairpin and pretty technical with boulders, loose rock and pinecones (which will throw you off the bike if you’re not ready for it).

The other side of that big snowy mountain is Lake Tahoe.  (Fun fact: “tahoe” is the native Washoe word for “lake”.)

I’m a lucky guy, as this is basically my back yard.  Maybe 10 minutes to the trail head.
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 4790
    edited April 2023
    Cranky said:

Guess I figured out the pics.

This is a typical ride for me.  Starts in the high desert and moves up into sub-alpine and, if you’re up for it, proper alpine riding.  This particular ride is all that’s available here until more snow melts, sometime in June, where more options and better alpine trails will open up.  Elevation ranges from about 4500 to 7000 ft, but these pics are probably up to around 5500-6000 ft.  The switchbacks can be hairpin and pretty technical with boulders, loose rock and pinecones (which will throw you off the bike if you’re not ready for it).

The other side of that big snowy mountain is Lake Tahoe.  (Fun fact: “tahoe” is the native Washoe word for “lake”.)

I’m a lucky guy, as this is basically my back yard.  Maybe 10 minutes to the trail head.
    Definitely winning "pics from today's ride" on tFB for this week for sure. Lovely terrain there mate :)

littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • Wow @Cranky ... WOW! Stunning landscape and trails. Were there others about or did you have the place to yourself? 
  • JayceeJaycee Frets: 263
    Nice backyard @Cranky, I live right on the edge of town so five minutes and I am in the country lanes, I think I would swap them for your s though
    Wow, amazing pics and scenery! I’ve had Lake Tahoe on my bucket list for a long time! 
    Every road out of my village started d with a climb, so I'd warm up on a turbo before going out.

In those days we lived in the Vale of Belvoir. Harby Bank was a climb I enjoyed. If I had an hour to spare, that's where you'd find me. 

I just loved to climb. Do I miss it? You betcha!

• PjonPjon Frets: 203
    Cranky said:

Not the fastest, but the most memorable high speed...

I did the Etape de Tour in 2000, finishing on top of Mont Ventoux. The bottom of the mountain was a nice Provencale summer's day, the top was about 2 degrees when I got there, and snowing shortly after with a horrendous wind. Our transport was all parked at the bottom on the far side, about 23km away, and we were riding in summer racing kit - lycra shorts, jerseys, with maybe a lightweight windproof. 

Problem 1 : I'd lost a contact lens on a previous mountain descent earlier in the day.

Problem 2 : the freezing temperatures combined with fingerless mitts and high speeds meant that fingers froze into one position on the bars/brakes or just became so slow to react that led to

Problem 3 : riders crashing everywhere, which led to 

Problem 4 : ambulances and medics charging the wrong way up a fast, supposedly closed descent with frozen riders descending at speed, which led back to problem 3.

I hit over 90kph on the straights, mainly with one eye closed and feathering the brakes as much as I could for fear of not being able to get my frozen fingers back on them if I released fully.

It was warm and not snowing at the bottom, and lots of wine was drunk that night. I also rode past Greg Lemond and Alain Prost early in the day which means that for over 20 years I've told anyone who'll listen that I beat them both in a race. (Lying by omission and all that. :D

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    ^^ sounds miserable.  If that was me it probably would have been the last ride I did for some time.