Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Fretboard Cycling Club - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Fretboard Cycling Club

What's Hot

Comments

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 3144
    Oh my word, took part in a "fun" club race yesterday. 13.6 km 600hm... quite a few of the kids from the race team took part, youngest was 11.

Cycled my heart out, got PBs... came dead last by a considerable distance!

Kudos for entering, it's amazing how fast the speedy guys in my club are; and that's just the Saturday morning ride.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 8909
    Went out for a (poorly attended) club ride last night, and our usual meeting place is Maindy cycling track. There is a series of small (25 minutes to 1 hour) races there over the summer. On the way home I decided to pop by to watch some of the racing. I arrived to see a couple of ambulances by the start line… It was a pretty nasty crash apparently and the racing was stopped for the evening. I understand at least one rider was on his way to hospital but I haven’t heard anything today. I rode home feeling glad that I’m too old and slow to race bikes any more.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • PjonPjon Frets: 203
    edited June 2023
    Oh my word, took part in a "fun" club race yesterday. 13.6 km 600hm... quite a few of the kids from the race team took part, youngest was 11.

Cycled my heart out, got PBs... came dead last by a considerable distance!
    Racing is a completely different beast to just riding. I don't race so much these days, maybe a few 'cross races over the winter, Your body and brain have to get used to being maxed out from the start, making decisions when you can barely breathe, and just keep going. Don't ease off, at least in 'cross or MTB XC The first race of the season is always painful, but it feels easier if you do it regularly.

A friend, years ago, said that the difference between a fun racer and a serious racer is that the serious racer doesn't ease off at the top of the hill to catch a breath, and even now, almost 30 years later, stopping at the top of  a hill makes me itch. If I stop it has to be somewhere down the hill. Or I just don't stop, if I can help it. It took me years before I could enjoy a properly social ride where there's more talking than riding.

I just realised how scarred I am by the years of racing. D 
     I rode home feeling glad that I’m too old and slow to race bikes any more.
    A few years ago, I said to John Lloyd - Welsh legend - that I always knew how good a day I was having if I was ahead of him. He was over 70 at the time, I think, 20 years my senior.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7708
    @Mellish yes, enjoyed the ride and it was mostly new to me, which was nice.
  • NightswanNightswan Frets: 1142
    Mellish said:
    @Nightswan ; well done mate - proper aero rims there!

:) 
    Cheers mate.
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 2863
    edited June 2023
    Had an enjoyable 55km ride on the weekend with my brother. Cycled from Cardiff Bay, through Penarth to Barry, then  back towards north Cardiff. I found cycling in the city/urban very different from Snowdonia, the constant stopping and starting and junctions was exhausting! There's a really good section going north of Barry though along an old road now closed to traffic. 

Now more than ready for the 50km event on Sunday, just hope the weather will be ok. 
  • JayceeJaycee Frets: 263
    Had an enjoyable 55km ride on the weekend with my brother. .......... There's a really good section going north of Barry though along an old road now closed to traffic. 

Now more than ready for the 50km event on Sunday, just hope the weather will be ok. 

Sounds like you went onto the old  "5 mile lane"  as it is called locally, I use it regularly now, everything to the west of it is country lanes. We hardly ever go into Cardiff just too busy and not enjoyable.

Enjoy your event Sunday, it will be so much easier now you know you can do the distance.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1128
    I'm struggling to hit the monthly Strava climbing challenge target, as it's event season and I've lost two weekends to work, although I did manage to get a spin in around Glencoe on the way home last weekend.
    I also missed the 7500m last month as I was ill for a fortnight :/

Still have to tick of 375m of vertical, and having been out tonight I'm not sure I'll have the legs to do it tomorrow, and I generally avoid cycling on Friday nights in preparation for a Saturday pedal :/
  • punchesjudypunchesjudy Frets: 926
    Hey guys, anyone have any experience with Orro bikes at all? I’m after a new gravel bike as a general do it all and have found the Terra Steel for pretty cheap… ish. 

Also any other recommendations? Not got huge funds, probably around £1500 max.
     I typically prefer steel and have had a Kona Rove which I loved and shouldn’t have sold. this years colours are awful though and that defo  matters, which is how I stumbled upon the Orro. 
    Not averse to Alu as have had two Sonder Caminos in the past. 

Seen the Ridley Kanzo C is on sale cheap at Wiggle though that’s full carbon and that scares me even though it probably shouldn’t ha. 

Cheers 
    edited June 2023
    Hey guys, anyone have any experience with Orro bikes at all? I’m after a new gravel bike as a general do it all and have found the Terra Steel for pretty cheap… ish. 

Also any other recommendations? Not got huge funds, probably around £1500 max.
     I typically prefer steel and have had a Kona Rove which I loved and shouldn’t have sold. this years colours are awful though and that defo  matters, which is how I stumbled upon the Orro. 
    Not averse to Alu as have had two Sonder Caminos in the past. 

Seen the Ridley Kanzo C is on sale cheap at Wiggle though that’s full carbon and that scares me even though it probably shouldn’t ha. 

Cheers 
    I haven't ridden one but almost bought one because they are very good value and very pretty. The one I saw in the metal was quite light for steel. Orro tend to be far better than their price suggests. If I'd had the funds and space available, I would have bought one but as it is I've just rebuilt my newer gravel bike and sold an older one, freeing up space but not funds. I like a steel bike, though.

I wouldn't be at all worried about carbon, btw. 
  • WindmillGuitarsWindmillGuitars Frets: 699
    tFB Trader
    Been meaning to post this for a while ...Some of you know that I previously worked in the cycle trade running a bike brand here in the UK for a major retailer and as a sponsor to a UCI Conti team for many years. Whilst I'm not part of the cycle trade any longer - I do still do the occasional event as a project manager for some endurance athletes, most notably James Golding. 

Last summer (after a two year on/off wait due to Covid) saw us head to the start Line of Race Across America - arguably THE toughest race on the planet. 3100 + miles across 12 States and everything from desert to the Appalachian mountains are between the start in Oceanside Cali and the finish in Annapolis Maryland. 

Trek Bikes who are one of our sponsors did a little video of what happened .. it's worth a watch.
    We have some big events coming up over the next year - give James Golding One Step At At Time a follow for more info 

www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Trent Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    @Pjon cheers. It’s certainly a beautiful looking bike. Actually matches my hard tail mtb if it ends up staying as well. I’m sad and like that sorta stuff. 

Yep, I shouldn’t worry about carbon. I for some reason do though. Even though I’ve had many carbon forks over the years and never had a problem. 
  • MellishMellish Frets: 945
    @punchesjudy ; all-carbon frames are hellishly strong. But, if you're happy with steel, why change? Unless you'd like to.

• I've put an order in for a Giant Defy Advanced 2 at my localish bike shop. This will be my first carbon frame. Can't wait to get my hands on it. 
    I always said I'd never trust carbon.

I currently have 3 carbon bikes, although one has now been retired, as it's needing new forks, a shock, and a big rock put a crack in he downtube. It is repairable, but it's kind of reached that point where it doesn't really make financial sense to fix it.

I'm looking to replace it, as I'm eyeing up an event next year that a shorter travel full sus that can handle some abuse would be perfect for, but I've not really seen anything that ticks the same boxes, and the new version isn't available in the UK as they don't currently have a UK distributor (previous distributor was hopeless anyway!) :/
    @Mellish Cheers, I’m sure they are. Mate of mine has a Trek Procaliber and that seems solid as. 
    I do love steel yeah, but I’m not against the other materials. I think I actually have option paralysis atm. There’s so many bikes I like and when I think I’ve found the one I want I then find another to obsess over. 

edited July 2023
    @punchesjudy ; that's why it's important not to rush. Take your time, have a look around to see what's out there.

Visit a few bike shops, get the feel of 'em. Hopefully there'll be one that you can't possibly walk away from.

• vanlooy1vanlooy1 Frets: 451
    when I think I’ve found the one I want I then find another to obsess over. 

Bit like guitars really!  =)
    I've put an order in for a Giant Defy Advanced 2 at my localish bike shop. This will be my first carbon frame. Can't wait to get my hands on it. 

=)
    Carbon framesets are very strong, light and responsive @MagicPigDetective but don't ovwrlook Reynolds. Steel, yes, but 531, 653, 753, 853 - as good as you can find anywhere in their price range.
    ☺️
  • NikcNikc Frets: 613
    Orro bikes are really nice lovely paint finishes a friend of mine is a has them in his shop.
    90k through the Cotswolds yesterday and then stripped the bike down ahead of having a new group set fitted
    drofluf said:
    90k through the Cotswolds yesterday and then stripped the bike down ahead of having a new group set fitted

Is it an upgrade or needed replacement?

I upgraded the groupset on one of my previous bikes from Tiagra to 105, was able to get a good re-sale price for it a few years later, and it was like riding a new bike.
  • vanlooy1vanlooy1 Frets: 451
    Rode the Dunwich Dynamo last night, 112 miles from London to the Suffolk coast, bloody freezing and bloody knackered!
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Jaycee said:
    drofluf said:

Is it an upgrade or needed replacement?

I upgraded the groupset on one of my previous bikes from Tiagra to 105, was able to get a good re-sale price for it a few years later, and it was like riding a new bike.
    But of both :)

current setup is 105 cranks and the rest Tiagra. The derailleurs work but are rusted so don’t look great, shifters are fine . So moving to GRX 1X11 which will also let me replace the BB7’s with hydraulics. 
  • Completed the 50km sportive, it went well, had a great time. The first half was tough, cycling into strong winds (no surprise on Anglesey!) but heading back inland it was fine and a pleasure cycling small country lanes. In fact, I felt strong finishing and I  could have gone much further! The first of many I hope, it was great being amongst other cyclists, everyone super friendly. Another 75km sportive on Anglesey in a month. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    m_c said:

I'm looking to replace it, as I'm eyeing up an event next year that a shorter travel full sus that can handle some abuse would be perfect for, but I've not really seen anything that ticks the same boxes, and the new version isn't available in the UK as they don't currently have a UK distributor (previous distributor was hopeless anyway!) :/
    Which event is this? I've always enjoyed shorter travel, slacker bikes. My main ride is a 140mm slack angled HT, which is fine for most of the MTBing locally, but I have a slightly longer travel FS for the bigger and steeper days out. (A lot of which is very local, as well! :D
    Pjon said:
    m_c said:

Which event is this? I've always enjoyed shorter travel, slacker bikes. My main ride is a 140mm slack angled HT, which is fine for most of the MTBing locally, but I have a slightly longer travel FS for the bigger and steeper days out. (A lot of which is very local, as well! :D
    The Transvesubienne - Transvesubienne UK | UCC Sport Event (ucc-sportevent.com)
    80 km distance, 2700m climbing, and 4000m descending.

I've done the Mega 3 times, and as much as I've enjoyed it and want to do it again, I want to try something a bit different.

As much as I like my hardtail, I'm not sure I'd be in any fit state to still remain attached to the bars after 4000m of descending on it, and I'm not sure dragging a 180/160mm travel full sus up 2700m is a good option either.
    Although replacing that bike would probably make more sense, but I'm holding off any major purchases until later this year, as redundancy/unemployment might be looming.
    m_c said:
    Pjon said:
    m_c said:

The Transvesubienne - Transvesubienne UK | UCC Sport Event (ucc-sportevent.com)
    80 km distance, 2700m climbing, and 4000m descending.

I've done the Mega 3 times, and as much as I've enjoyed it and want to do it again, I want to try something a bit different.

As much as I like my hardtail, I'm not sure I'd be in any fit state to still remain attached to the bars after 4000m of descending on it, and I'm not sure dragging a 180/160mm travel full sus up 2700m is a good option either.
    Although replacing that bike would probably make more sense, but I'm holding off any major purchases until later this year, as redundancy/unemployment might be looming.
    Nice, and yes I'd be the same on a HT on that event! :D