Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Unpopular Musical Opinions - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Unpopular Musical Opinions

What's Hot

Comments

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17130
    70's is the best for me. What I can remember of it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9793
    A lot of 70s progressive rock is ruined by guitar tones that sound like Kirk Hammet outtakes without the safety net of reverb
    With the exception of Camel (Andy Latimer is Der Tonemeister) and Focus (Jan Akkerman knew a thing or two about tone as well).
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4843
    @Grumpyrocker, EVH played an amazing amount of shite on his home built guitar. Did nobody listen to music in those days? If they did, surely someone would have shouted STOP...
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• racefaceec90racefaceec90 Frets: 958
    i like limp bizkit . they did some great tunes actually (especially hold on)  
    i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

• NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    hugbot;687260" said:
    Alter Bridge are nigh identical to Creed. The fact that it's acceptable (among guitarists at least) to like one but not the other says a lot about how lame most guitarists taste in music really is.
    The deciding factor in this, is Scott Stapp's awful vocals - like a bad Eddie Vedder. Even if some people don't like Myles Kennedy, Stapp's voice grates a hell of a lot more...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Classical Gas is a bloody horrible piece of guitar repertoire. Asturias not too far behind.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11438
    Okay...

The Beatles are overrated.

Paul McCartney should retire now...

Mick Jagger is a preening twat and his singing voice is awful.

Most US rock these days consists of detuned, chugging riffage with iron pumping, muscle bound Eddie Vedder clones on the mic... Crap in other words.

The art of the guitar solo is dead.

Royal Blood are shite - music for hipsters.

Kasabian are shite - music for 'lads'.

Glastonbury has become a joke.

Nirvana are massively overrated and SMTS is the most over played record of all time.

I hate 60s white boy blues - John Mayall etc.

Joe Bonamassa's tone is muddy and wooly.

Jimmy Page's tone is also shocking - scratchy as hell considering the LP he used most of the time.

Having 2/3 guitarists in the Foo Fighters is a waste of time when they don't play anything remotely melodic.

I hate singer/songwriters with Deputy Dawg style whiney, drawling voices - Passenger, Maverick Sabre, James Bay etc...

If you have a ukelele on your record, you're a trendy and you suck.

There.

and relax,
    wisdom though
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    samzadgan said:
    Early influences of Doom, like Trouble, Pentagram, St Vitus etc...were really horrible. Pioneering maybe, but quality of music was shit. In fact I would say the only thing that Wino has done that i actually like is his cover of Townes Van Zandts Rake and Nothing.
    I agree to an extent, although I think Trouble's mid-period albums are absolutely magnificent.  The received wisdom, the cool thing to say, seems to be that Psalm 9 and The Skull are their best albums but I really don't like them that much - lots of riffs, poor songs.

I like Slash's "World on Fire" better than "Appetite for Destruction".

I wanted to see how it looks written down. Will revisit in a few months and see if I think I was being an idiot. 

I like Chinese Democracy better than Appetite for Destruction.

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7708

One of those bands I saw at reading who I thought would be shit, but were actually really good :)
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    A note to all who have criticised the music of the 60s, 70s and 80s...

In any creative arena and in any era there will be inevitably be brilliance, and dross, and a large dose of mediocrity.  Which is which is largely dependant on personal tastes and perspectives.

Just bear in mind that this chapter in the musical 'rule book' was being written during those decades, instead of being infinitely rehashed as it is now.  That may be an over-generalisation, but I feel it is largely true.

The technology has changed and has democratised making and distributing music.  The business has slid even further down the slippery ethical slope that it was always on, and seems more unsure of what it is supposed to be than it ever was.

I personally see little in current music, either good or bad, that does not have it's roots firmly planted in the creativity of a musical world in flux and formation from that period.  It was a chaotic time, please forgive it it's excesses.  As for now, history will be the judge of that, I guess.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3819
    I think a lot of people are music sluts :D. If you listen to every genre of music can you really be that passionate about any of them?

If music is POPular does that not mean it must be good? B-)
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 29588
    I think a lot of people are music sluts :D. If you listen to every genre of music can you really be that passionate about any of them?

Of course you can. Does liking Exodus by Bob Marley mean you have to like all reggae?

It amuses me at the age of 50 when people ask me (primarily because I play in a band I guess) what kind of music I like, as if I were a teenager.

The answer is obviously "Both kinds - Country AND Western."

;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    p90fool said:

Of course...
    Slut!

:P
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 29588
    p90fool said:

Of course...
    Slut!

:P
    Rumbled!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Yes. The genre of music I am passionate about is called "music".

:)

There is good and bad in it, just like any other genre. You listen to the good stuff and don't listen to the bad stuff. (Unless you like it!)

For a long time I used to purposely remove all the genre tags from my iTunes library because the concept of pigeon-holing music annoys me, but a later revision made it conflict with my OCD because it left and unfilled field, so I had to reinstate them - only using top-level genres, like 'rock', 'jazz' and 'classical'. Anything which doesn't seem to quite fit goes in 'Alternative & Punk' ;).

It doesn't correlate at all. Some bad music is popular, some popular music is good, and a lot of good music is not popular...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    ICBM said:
    Yes. The genre of music I am passionate about is called "music".

:)

There is good and bad in it, just like any other genre. You listen to the good stuff and don't listen to the bad stuff. (Unless you like it!)

For a long time I used to purposely remove all the genre tags from my iTunes library because the concept of pigeon-holing music annoys me, but a later revision made it conflict with my OCD because it left and unfilled field, so I had to reinstate them - only using top-level genres, like 'rock', 'jazz' and 'classical'. Anything which doesn't seem to quite fit goes in 'Alternative & Punk' ;).

It doesn't correlate at all. Some bad music is popular, some popular music is good, and a lot of good music is not popular...
    I've been meaning to do that. All I really want is "rock", "pop", "blues", "jazz", "soul", "country". Cos basically all song-based music is one of those and anything more specific becomes a hindrance for smart playlists and asking siri for stuff.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 724
    I don't think what's Good and what's Bad is fixed in stone...

"Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
    p90fool said:
    It amuses me at the age of 50 when people ask me (primarily because I play in a band I guess) what kind of music I like, as if I were a teenager.

I hate it when the conversation goes:

- "What [instrument] do you play?"
    - "guitar"
    - "Rhythm or lead?"

:x

The worst people are them that think an electric guitar is a "lead" guitar because it has a "lead" coming out of it.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    GuyBoden said:
    I'd say popularity is really the only way to judge whether it's good or bad. If indeed there is any way. At least something that is universally unpopular isn't often considered "good".  
    edited July 2015
    I also think that people liking certain types of music more than others isn't entirely to do with what is pleasing to the ear. It's more complicated than that. It's probably a lot to do with, at least to begin with, how you want to be perceived.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 724

GuyBoden said:
    I'd say popularity is really the only way to judge whether it's good or bad. If indeed there is any way. At least something that is universally unpopular isn't often considered "good".  
    What's considered Good and what's considered Bad can change over time, so it's not fixed in stone....
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
    GuyBoden said:

GuyBoden said:
    What's considered Good and what's considered Bad can change over time, so it's not fixed in stone....
    True.  :)
    edited July 2015
    You can be passionate about football while not supporting a particular team. Just different I suppose. I don't think it makes you more of a music lover though. Or even more "open minded".
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8281
    edited July 2015
    Yeah, there's no Good and Bad really. As for popularity, well all that takes is exposure, repetition and a savvy marketing team. IOW, money to invest. When you're dealing with crowds of people the normal rules of common sense go out the window.

The only way you can judge musical quality really is either "Has the artist achieved his aims and been true to himself here?" or "Do I personally like it or not?". Anything else is just bumholes.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Cirrus said:
    Yeah, there's no Good and Bad really. As for popularity, well all that takes is exposure, repetition and a savvy marketing team. IOW, money to invest. When you're dealing with crowds of people the normal rules of common sense go out the window.

The only way you can judge musical quality really is either "Has the artist achieved his aims and been true to himself here?" or "Do I personally like it or not?". Anything else is just bumholes.
    Fair play. The artist could not achieve his aims and still produce something wonderful. Do I like it or not? Who cares.  :D
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4649
    edited July 2015
    [quote="Philly_Q;687598"]samzadgan said:

Early influences of Doom, like Trouble, Pentagram, St Vitus etc...were really horrible. Pioneering maybe, but quality of music was shit. In fact I would say the only thing that Wino has done that i actually like is his cover of Townes Van Zandts Rake and Nothing.

I agree to an extent, although I think Trouble's mid-period albums are absolutely magnificent.  The received wisdom, the cool thing to say, seems to be that Psalm 9 and The Skull are their best albums but I really don't like them that much - lots of riffs, poor songs. 

bluechargeboy said:

The songs on Psalm 9 are incredible. No doom has ever come close to matching it. And the tone is still one of the best heavy sounds ever. Doom has moved away from riffs in recent years and most modern doom is people spending huge sun's on valve amps to try and sound like cheap solid state Sunn and Randall amps.

That said, Rick Rubin probably did his best production on Trouble's mid period albums.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    edited July 2015
    At least something that is universally unpopular isn't often considered "good".  
    That doesn't apply to most avant-garde art though, in almost any field.

Over time, some of it then becomes perceived as good.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7708

One of those bands I saw at reading who I thought would be shit, but were actually really good :)
    Listening to 3 dollar bill y'all at the moment... it's really, really good.... 
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7159
    p90fool said:

- "guitar"
    - "Rhythm or lead?"

The worst people are them that think an electric guitar is a "lead" guitar because it has a "lead" coming out of it.
    I think that's a thing from the 70s. Modern bands rarely distinguish these days and I personally havent been asked that question for a long time.
    p90fool said:

- "guitar"
    - "Rhythm or lead?"

I think that's a thing from the 70s. Modern bands rarely distinguish these days and I personally havent been asked that question for a long time.
    Maybe I mainly talk to people who are even older than me