Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Unpopular Musical Opinions - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Unpopular Musical Opinions

What's Hot

Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    Babones said:
    Noddy Holder was the best vocalist I've ever heard. Shit, he even didn't need a PA.
    Funny to think he could have been in AC/DC, but turned them down.

That's a real shame because he would've been a lot better than the shrieking maniac that sang on Back to Black (the only AC/DC album I own). I like the guitar playing but the vocals make me nauseous.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Cacofonix said:
    The sax solo on will You by Hazel O Connor is the acme of the instrument.
    I don't think that's an unpopular opinion, although it might be among jazzers! It is however completely correct.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    The Smiths were the low point in NME loving music. Just awful. Cringe worthy lyrics and boring playing...
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    There are some good songs on Oasis' "purple album"

Sgt Pepper's is only better than about 50% of the Beatles' output. But the Beatles are still the most important band ever

The Rolling Stones have never made a great album.

The Who are better than Led Zeppelin.

Jump is Van Halen's best song.

Coldplay are, on a good day, absolutely brilliant live

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1170
    Malcolm Young is(was) the best guitarist in AC/DC.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8201
    chillidoggy;684276" said:
    Noddy Holder was the best vocalist I've ever heard. Shit, he even didn't need a PA.
    I'd have loved to have seen Slade in their prime. Shame they didn't crack America.
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4445
    SRV's studio recordings are not very good.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2703
    edited June 2015
    SRV's studio recordings are not very good.
    The 80s for you: the decade of sonically shocking recordings.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4649
    Rowby1;685147" said:
    Malcolm Young is(was) the best guitarist in AC/DC.
    That's always been Angus' stated position.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8281
    holnrew;685168" said:
    chillidoggy;684276" said:Noddy Holder was the best vocalist I've ever heard. Shit, he even didn't need a PA.

I'd have loved to have seen Slade in their prime. Shame they didn't crack America.
    Our Drummer's dad was variously bass tech/ guitar tech/ stage manager for Slade for a couple of their tours and some studio stuff. He's got lots of stories. Though I will admit there's only so many times you can hear "When we played Monsters of Rock..." without wanting to hit the bugger. :))
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 724
    Top Classical guitar players, like Julian Bream, are overall, technically much better players than almost all Pop/Rock guitarists.

"Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
    GuyBoden said:
    Top Classical guitar players, like Julian Bream, are overall, technically much better players than almost all Pop/Rock guitarists.
    Edited for accuracy.

I was very fortunate to see him play when I was about fourteen. Even though I didn't play guitar myself yet at that point so a lot of what he was doing was totally over my head, he was still obviously jaw-droppingly good. Looking back now it's quite amazing how perfect his playing was.

I doubt there are any rock guitarists, even the technically very good ones, who achieve that level of dedication to and control over the tiniest nuances of technique.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9793
    Julian Bream is sloppy compared to John Williams
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    edited June 2015
    So much good music is let down by...

the vocals !

Great start, promisingly tight, musically interesting, great sounding band.  Then so often, in come the vocals, bland and unimaginative melodically and rhythmically, talentless presentation with lyrics courtesy of the Drivel Brothers.

A good vocalist doesn't have to be a good singer though.

And as for self-styled 'singers' who can't pitch... !

Edit:  Oh, and when did doing bad impressions of the "honey monster" get a spot on the cool wall ?
    Agressive vocals I quite understand, "honey monster", nah, that's well placed for kids adverts and cereal pakcets (only) IMHO...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    I agree about the classical players, but I would also point out that none of them can use a whammy bar effectively or control feedback at stadium volumes in a musical way etc. There's nuance in rock, too.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133

@jpfamps said:   The 80s for you: the decade of sonically shocking recordings.
    Do you mean recording or production ?

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9793
    So much good music is let down by...

the vocals !

This applies especially to Opera
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4353
    GREAT thread with a lot of truths (apart from G N' R being crap!)
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2703

@jpfamps said:   The 80s for you: the decade of sonically shocking recordings.
    Do you mean recording or production ?
    The end result, which is probably a combination of both, although the production probably takes the lion's share of the blame.

That is of course if you like Linn Drums and the DX7.....
    The really odd thing is that some of the worst-sounding recordings ever were made in the late 80s, but also a few great ones. It's really quite strange! 1987 seems to be about the year with the most extreme divergence… the year Fleetwood Mac recorded Tango In the Night - large parts of which I find almost unlistenable - and REM recorded Document - which contains possibly my favourite recorded guitar sound ever.

• RockerRocker Frets: 4843
    If Jimi Hendrix had used an accurate tuner for his guitar, nobody would have listened to him. And I think I heard a guy say that Hank Marvin could play a tune on his guitar. That was before he fell down and conked out....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• BucketBucket Frets: 7749
    Moss said:
    I love Florence

Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster are actually OK
    I do as well, it's a beautiful place. I'd love to go back some day.

And yes, TNBD are a really good band.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1470
    Metallica's best album was  ...and justice for all. Nothing they made after that point is relevant musically and they sucked.

Slayer peaked with Seasons in the Abyss and they went downhill from there

Megadeth was always shit...they had maybe 2 or three good songs, and they were only because either Mustane didnt sing or because Marty Freeman did a sick solo on it.

Early influences of Doom, like Trouble, Pentagram, St Vitus etc...were really horrible. Pioneering maybe, but quality of music was shit. In fact I would say the only thing that Wino has done that i actually like is his cover of Townes Van Zandts Rake and Nothing.

Looking back now (and at the risk of a young me punching me in the face) Glam metal was actually ok

I hate Grunge and Punk...boring and useless...except for early Misfits and Alice in Chains.

I hate pop music...the music, what it stands for and the people who like it...everything about it annoys me...but there are some really hot females wearing very little in music videos...so thats ok.
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Nirvana were never as good as Pearl Jam.
  • vizviz Frets: 10211
    edited June 2015
    If playing an instrument at an advanced level involves head, heart and hands in equal measure, then having a working knowledge of music theory is as important as having something to say and being proficient in saying it.
    Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    A large amount of mainstream pop music is very well written, arranged, performed, recorded and produced. ie is "good".

(And a fair amount is complete crap too, of course.)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5721
    Although Prince is an utter twat, he's a quality guitar player.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SamgbSamgb Frets: 769
    ICBM said:
    The really odd thing is that some of the worst-sounding recordings ever were made in the late 80s, but also a few great ones. It's really quite strange! 1987 seems to be about the year with the most extreme divergence… the year Fleetwood Mac recorded Tango In the Night - large parts of which I find almost unlistenable - and REM recorded Document - which contains possibly my favourite recorded guitar sound ever.
    I love Tango In The Night! Sounds great to me as well, odd one.

Appetite For Destruction is still a pretty fantastic sounding record from that era. Not been remastered, doesnt need it.

I would have thought a lot of rock/metal albums of the era sound more contemporary for having largely avoided those terrible terrible 80s drum sounds. 

Graceland is another great sounding 80s one.

• BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2506
    ICBM said:
    A large amount of mainstream pop music is very well written, arranged, performed, recorded and produced. ie is "good".

(And a fair amount is complete crap too, of course.)
    Depends what you mean by 'good' of course.  If your standard of good is Mozart or Duke Ellington, or The Beatles, most of it is competently crafted mediocrity at best.

But if you mean better than most of the music liked by rock fans who are sniffy about chart pop on the grounds that it's not "authentic", or played on real instruments and similar bollocks you are, of course, correct.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6086
    Queen were shite.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter