Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Unpopular Musical Opinions - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Unpopular Musical Opinions

What's Hot

Comments

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7708

p90fool said:
    It amuses me at the age of 50 when people ask me (primarily because I play in a band I guess) what kind of music I like, as if I were a teenager.

I hate it when the conversation goes:

- "What [instrument] do you play?"
    - "guitar"
    - "Rhythm or lead?"

:x

The worst people are them that think an electric guitar is a "lead" guitar because it has a "lead" coming out of it.
    I think that's a thing from the 70s. Modern bands rarely distinguish these days and I personally havent been asked that question for a long time.
    I blame AC/DC for this...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    Reverend said:
    The songs on Psalm 9 are incredible. No doom has ever come close to matching it. And the tone is still one of the best heavy sounds ever. Doom has moved away from riffs in recent years and most modern doom is people spending huge sun's on valve amps to try and sound like cheap solid state Sunn and Randall amps.

That said, Rick Rubin probably did his best production on Trouble's mid period albums.

@Reverend ; I was overstating it a bit saying "poor songs", I must've been in a funny mood.  I do actually like those albums, but nowhere near as much as the Trouble and (especially) Manic Frustration albums.  Those two are among my favourite albums by anyone, ever.  I just prefer the more melodic songwriting, I guess.  The Trouble album I've listened to least is Run to the Light, I'm not sure why but it never seems to make much of an impression on me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4649
    Run to the light is a transitional record.

Psalm 9nand the s/t are my faves. I have the T on my leg and then All Is Forgiven tattooed around my wrist.
  • Morrissey is a terrible singer and an appalling vocalist. The Smiths would have been much better with someone else.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1896
    guyinlyon said:
    Morrissey is a terrible singer and an appalling vocalist. The Smiths would have been much better with someone else.
    He's also an absolute tool. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 5625
    Yoko Ono did us all a favour in "splitting up The Beatles".
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    guyinlyon said:
    Morrissey is a terrible singer and an appalling vocalist. The Smiths would have been much better with someone else.
    I'm sorry.  I love him.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 23224
    Elvis was massively overrated.

Humans are destructive parasites that will destroy the celestial oasis of Earth.  The sooner Homo Sapiens are extinct, the better.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    p90fool said:
    It amuses me at the age of 50 when people ask me (primarily because I play in a band I guess) what kind of music I like, as if I were a teenager.

I hate it when the conversation goes:

- "What [instrument] do you play?"
    - "guitar"
    - "Rhythm or lead?"

:x

The worst people are them that think an electric guitar is a "lead" guitar because it has a "lead" coming out of it.
    I think that's a thing from the 70s. Modern bands rarely distinguish these days and I personally havent been asked that question for a long time.
    Maybe I mainly talk to people who are even older than me
    Well, at least there's no possibility of that happening here...  B)
  • 2015?  Fuck me, talk about a necro-bump.

Anyone remember 2015?  What an innocent time that fucking was, Jesus Christ, imagine waking up tomorrow, finding it's 2015 and all the shit since then hasn't gone down.

We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • rogdrogd Frets: 1430
    Why all the fuss about that Bowie geezer?
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1082
    Person woman man camera TV - Jesuschrist. :s
    2015?  Fuck me, talk about a necro-bump.

Anyone remember 2015?  What an innocent time that fucking was, Jesus Christ, imagine waking up tomorrow, finding it's 2015 and all the shit since then hasn't gone down.

TBF, the roots of the shit stretch back in to 2015 and beyond ... I fear it may be like John Connor or 12 Monkeys, where the events unfold with us and our time machine damn powerless to stop it. Maybe if we try 1999, that could work....

Anyhoo, Moressey, eh? What a wanker.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • rogd said:
    When this thread was originally started... he was still alive.
  • Offset said:
    guyinlyon said:
    I'm sorry.  I love him.
    What, all the far right, nationalist stuff or the music? Or both? 
  • Offset said:
    guyinlyon said:
    I'm sorry.  I love him.
    He is 1/4 of one the the finest, and certainly one of the most influential bands Britain has ever produced.

Some of his solo stuff is amazing as well.

He's gotten old now and what once was glossed over ("Bengali in Platforms", "Asian Rut") isn't funny now the whole country has gone "a bit Nazi".

Given he hasn't done a decent album for 20 years now - he needs to retire and shut up.

Not sure if that puts me in agreement or opposition to @offset but there it is!
  • rogdrogd Frets: 1430
    rogd said:
    When this thread was originally started... he was still alive.
    Still don't understand all the fuss.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 23224
    darthed1981 said:

Yeah...  but he only had three notes in his vocal repertoire.  
    Humans are destructive parasites that will destroy the celestial oasis of Earth.  The sooner Homo Sapiens are extinct, the better.
  • TimcitoTimcito Frets: 390
    Although I was a cool rock dude in my late teens and early 20s, I thought there was great disco music around - LaBelle, Donna Summer, ABBA, Michael Jackson, Odyssey., 
  • I have some unpopular musical opinions - I am going to say I don't like the following, but maybe it'd be more accurate to say I haven't found my way in to them....and I am pretty sure there is good stuff to be found...

The Smiths
    Bob Dylan 
    Metal
    Jazz
  • Okay...

The Beatles are overrated.

Paul McCartney should retire now...

Mick Jagger is a preening twat and his singing voice is awful.

Most US rock these days consists of detuned, chugging riffage with iron pumping, muscle bound Eddie Vedder clones on the mic... Crap in other words.

The art of the guitar solo is dead.

Royal Blood are shite - music for hipsters.

Kasabian are shite - music for 'lads'.

Glastonbury has become a joke.

Nirvana are massively overrated and SMTS is the most over played record of all time.

I hate 60s white boy blues - John Mayall etc.

Joe Bonamassa's tone is muddy and wooly.

Jimmy Page's tone is also shocking - scratchy as hell considering the LP he used most of the time.

Having 2/3 guitarists in the Foo Fighters is a waste of time when they don't play anything remotely melodic.

I hate singer/songwriters with Deputy Dawg style whiney, drawling voices - Passenger, Maverick Sabre, James Bay etc...

If you have a ukelele on your record, you're a trendy and you suck.

There.

Agreed although jaggers still cool & Paul should keep playing if he enjoys it 
    agree on the rest though
  • TimcitoTimcito Frets: 390
    'The Beatles were/are overrated' has to be one of the stupidest comments on music floating around on the interwebs.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Timcito said:
    'The Beatles were/are overrated' has to be one of the stupidest comments on music floating around on the interwebs.  
    Nah... We did that one last week. It went well as i recall... 
  • Free Bird has the worst guitar solo ever composed or known to man, even that crap Lil Wayne did is a huge musical improvement over it.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Offset said:
    guyinlyon said:
    I'm sorry.  I love him.
    He is 1/4 of one the the finest, and certainly one of the most influential bands Britain has ever produced.
    And it's only weak link.

• Stevie Ray Vaughn wasn't that good.

John Mayer is a much better player.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    Offset said:
    guyinlyon said:
    I'm sorry.  I love him.

He's gotten old now and what once was glossed over ("Bengali in Platforms", "Asian Rut") isn't funny now the whole country has gone "a bit Nazi".

Given he hasn't done a decent album for 20 years now - he needs to retire and shut up.

Not sure if that puts me in agreement or opposition to @offset but there it is!
    Largely in agreement except that he's made some great music within the last 20 years (just!) - First Of The Gang To Die, I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris...

To paraphrase Peter Cook, he's a provocative fucker though.
    White Harmony are Spain's very finest wedding/function musical duo.
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3144
    Philly_Q said:
    But would they get on a talent show?
    drofluf said:
    Philly_Q said:
    But would they get on a talent show?
    They would win CBGT* hands down, I'd stake my life on it.

(*Costa Blanca's Got Talent)
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2109
    Turns out the 70s are the absolute worst decade for music since music was invented.