Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Unpopular Musical Opinions - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Unpopular Musical Opinions

What's Hot

Comments

• TimcitoTimcito Frets: 390
    PetGerbil said:
    Timcito said:
    Bezzer said:
    Timcito said:
    'The Beatles were/are overrated' has to be one of the stupidest comments on music floating around on the interwebs.  
    No more so than the constant repetition that they are the most important, inventive band ever and nothing new would exist without them.
    I think when you consider the sheer breadth and number of world-renowned musicians and singers who have validated Beatles songs by recording and/or performing them - everyone from Jimi Hendrix and Siouxsie and the Banshees through to Ray Charles, Joe  Cocker, Pat Metheny and Frank Sinatra - then yes, I do find it absurd that Joe Bloggs from Putney should mouth off online that the Beatles were overrated. This would imply that these musical giants had somehow all been commonly afflicted by a temporary lack of judgement when they paid musical homage to the band.

I don't base my musical opinions on what other people like. I judge it on whether I like their music or not.
    This argument of "...But so and so says!!" is irrelevant. Do I like their music ?

no.

Taking this fact into account,  Would it be logical to come to the conclusion that I personally find them overrated.?

Now, would I be stupid to go round saying "People who don't like the band I like are idiots,because they say they don't like the band I like...And I've explicitly told them why they're wrong,and how important they were and also how many other people worship their very existence?"

I'm sure they're very important to you, and that's fine.

It is also fine for me not to care one jot about them, because. And this is the important bit, I Don't like their music.

Of course it's fine to have personal preferences. However, when someone says a band is 'overrated,' they are going beyond personal preference and judging the 'rating' that has been given by other people. In many cases, that may also be fine, but in the case of the Beatles, who have been acclaimed and played for decades by leading composers and musicians across a wide range of musical genres including pop, classical, jazz, you name it, and whose music is as much listened to now as it ever was, then for someone to claim they have been overrated by all these people is, well, just plain silly. It was the kind of thing that punks would say in the late 70s to demonstrate their irreverence for the musical establishment. I think some of them are still demonstrating it on social media in their 50s and 60s!"  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    PetGerbil said:

I don't base my musical opinions on what other people like. I judge it on whether I like their music or not.
    This argument of "...But so and so says!!" is irrelevant. Do I like their music ?

no.

Taking this fact into account,  Would it be logical to come to the conclusion that I personally find them overrated.?

"Not liking" does not equal "overrated".

I couldn't care less about Stones and I can't stand the likes of Santana and EVH, for instance. But I can't consider them overrated having in mind their huge influence and legacy.
    Exactly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Overrated

adjective

1. Given an undue amount of credit for quality or merit in a field; not necessarily related to popularity.

I believe the beatles are given an undue amount of credit for quality or merit.

I'm not saying that weren't popular, and they probably inspired lots of people to make music.
    The difference is the outrage that it causes when someone dares to question their "messiah-like" status.
    People seem to rate their music much higher than I do. Which is fine, until the inevitable "Bow down and worship at the altar you ignorant fools!" mentality kicks in..

I rate the beatles as a 3/10 for song quality.
    A large proportion of people rate them as at least 9/10
    I believe these people are incorrect. Thus, In my opinion. Overrated.

I also don't like lots of other bands. But people don't go around trying to force me to like/be inspired/grovel at their feet.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2109
    Reverend said:
    Cranky said:
    Reverend said:
    Cranky said:
    Turns out the 70s are the absolute worst decade for music since music was invented.
    Black Sabbath called, they said you are wrong. 
    There are exceptions to rules.

But Dio is lame.

Also, in truth, it was the 80s, not the 70s (I also love me some Funkadelic), that was the worst decade for music.  The 80s gave us all the widdlydiddly spandex shite.  But then I can’t help but blame the 70s for the 80s 
    nope, Dio was, is and always will be the greatest.

80s was also a great decade. The 90s was by far the worst decade of all time. 

The existence of Right Said Fred simply undermines anything that was good. 
    lol well played 

The 90s didn’t get off to a smashing start, that’s for sure.  But Nirvana and RATM saved us soon enough from the hellish nightmare that was the 80s.

I always figured Right Said Fred’s main function was to troll the disgruntled legion of spandex still lingering.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4649
    Cranky said:
    Reverend said:
    Cranky said:
    Reverend said:
    Cranky said:
    Turns out the 70s are the absolute worst decade for music since music was invented.

But Dio is lame.

Also, in truth, it was the 80s, not the 70s (I also love me some Funkadelic), that was the worst decade for music.  The 80s gave us all the widdlydiddly spandex shite.  But then I can’t help but blame the 70s for the 80s 

lol well played 

The 90s didn’t get off to a smashing start, that’s for sure.  But Nirvana and RATM saved us soon enough from the hellish nightmare that was the 80s.

I always figured Right Said Fred’s main function was to troll the disgruntled legion of spandex still lingering.
    The 90s got off to an amazing start.  The best album if the decade was released 13th February 1990. 
    Pre nevermind was the best part of the decade

• Cranky said:
    Reverend said:
    Cranky said:
    Reverend said:
    Cranky said:

But Dio is lame.

lol well played 

Some of the greatest albums of the 90s (and of all time imo) are 90-93, the 90s had an awesome start to the decade..
  • The best thing about Rush is Geddy Lee's singing.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 572
    Stuckfast said:
    The best thing about Rush is Geddy Lee's singing.
    Now you're just trolling ;)
  • bluecatbluecat Frets: 429
    I don't know how David Bowie made his millions? I don't really know anyone who liked his stuff. Although he had a decent backing band in his Ziggy era, Mick Robson, Woody, etc etc.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5218
    Stuckfast said:
    The timbre and tone of his voice is ahem, unique, and he's not for everyone, but he can sing in as much as I don't think I've heard him off pitch.

He's never going to be Frank or Freddie, but you can't argue that his voice is a large part of the sound of Rush.

Best thing, though.............?

I meant April. ~ Simon Weir

Bit of trading feedback here.

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    Haych said:
    Stuckfast said:
    The timbre and tone of his voice is ahem, unique, and he's not for everyone, but he can sing in as much as I don't think I've heard him off pitch.

He's never going to be Frank or Freddie, but you can't argue that his voice is a large part of the sound of Rush.

Best thing, though.............?
    Watch MM takes a look at the curious world of Frank Sidebottom

sport news How Freddie Flintoff ditched his boozy cricketer image to
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    For me, the Who were a great pop band, but they did not make the transition to post Clapton-Hendrix rock successfully, from a quality point of view. Even as a 14-year old, I wondered why Pete Townshend was being spoken of in the same sentence as the likes of Jimmy Page and Ritchie Blackmore. Around a year ago, I watched the Who on the Isle of Wight festival from 1970. It seemed to me that Townshend would occasionally try for a Page-type solo and then pretty much break down and fall back on a couple of eff-off power chords in an attempt to recover some momentum. 
  • Bezzer said:
    Stuckfast said:
    Now you're just trolling ;)
    I am actually more or less serious. Not a huge Rush fan but there's something about his voice that I do find quite compelling. It's moving in a way that a lot of more technically accomplished vocalists aren't.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    Reverend said:
    The 90s got off to an amazing start.  The best album if the decade was released 13th February 1990. 

@Reverend This one?

Philly_Q said:
    Reverend said:

@Reverend This one?

yep. The high water mark for Rubin

• Being a great player is fine but it doesn't mean you can make good music.

If you don't like nirvana unplugged you have no soul. 
    Reverend said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Reverend said:

@Reverend This one?

I'd have to include Manic Frustration, as I've said before.  Also the first Masters of Reality album.  But yeah, pretty much.
    Philly_Q said:
    Reverend said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Reverend said:

@Reverend This one?

I'd have to include Manic Frustration, as I've said before.  Also the first Masters of Reality album.  But yeah, pretty much.
    I have posters of both Trouble s/t and blue garden framed and on my wall. 
    I knew Barry briefly from when he was in Cathedral as I know them well. Met Ron a few times and also met Bruce and Rick a few times. Bruce even borrowed an amp from me last time they came over.  
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    Reverend said:

Nonsense. 'Deeply Dippy' is a classic.
    Reverend said:
    I knew Barry briefly from when he was in Cathedral as I know them well. Met Ron a few times and also met Bruce and Rick a few times. Bruce even borrowed an amp from me last time they came over.  
    Now you're just showing off. ;)  But I am impressed.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    SpoonMan said:
    Being a great player is fine but it doesn't mean you can make good music.

....and being a mediocre player is no barrier to making good music :-)
    Philly_Q said:
    Reverend said:
    Now you're just showing off. ;)  But I am impressed.

See if you can spot me in this
  • Offset said:
    SpoonMan said:

Indeed. 
    Offset said:
    SpoonMan said:

It's also no barrier to making bad music....  :/
  • SpoonManSpoonMan Frets: 138
    edited September 2023
    Philly_Q said:
    Offset said:
    SpoonMan said:

It's also no barrier to making bad music.... 

Not sure there are many of those. 
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 2424
    The Mercury Music Prize is laughable.

Not sure if that is an unpopular opinion actually.

Evidence:

M People - Elegant Slumming, when in the same year there was Parklife and His n Hers
    Gomez - Bring It on, when in the same year there was Urban Hymns

And the creme de la creme of all travesties..

Portishead - Dummy, at the expense of one of the greatest debut albums of all time - Definitely Maybe.

Shrews said:

Evidence:

M People - Elegant Slumming, when in the same year there was Parklife and His n Hers

Portishead - Dummy, at the expense of one of the greatest debut albums of all time - Definitely Maybe.

Dummy a mullion times over definitely maybe
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Shrews said:

Evidence:

I am certainly no fan of the Mercury prize, and normally when I read the shortlist every year I'll be going "what a load of shite", "who the fuck are they", "no rock music, again", etc.  It annoys me, a bit, but I accept that it's just not for me.

But I have to say, those three winning albums in those three years you've listed are all pretty damn good.  None of it is really music I regularly listen to, but I'm sure there are stronger examples of "we were robbed".
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    bluecat said:
    I don't know how David Bowie made his millions? I don't really know anyone who liked his stuff. Although he had a decent backing band in his Ziggy era, Mick Robson, Woody, etc etc.
    ?

I'm a big fan. I've got most of his albums - certainly up to Let's Dance, and a few after that. I know loads of other people who like him that much too.

I've literally loved his music since before I knew who he was - Space Oddity is the first pop record I remember ever paying any attention to, I must have been about five.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson