Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Unpopular Musical Opinions - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Unpopular Musical Opinions

What's Hot

Comments

• Offset said:
    Offset said:
    guyinlyon said:
    Morrissey is a terrible singer and an appalling vocalist. The Smiths would have been much better with someone else.
    I'm sorry.  I love him.
    What, all the far right, nationalist stuff or the music? Or both? 
    He is 1/4 of one the the finest, and certainly one of the most influential bands Britain has ever produced.

Some of his solo stuff is amazing as well.

He's gotten old now and what once was glossed over ("Bengali in Platforms", "Asian Rut") isn't funny now the whole country has gone "a bit Nazi".

Given he hasn't done a decent album for 20 years now - he needs to retire and shut up.

Not sure if that puts me in agreement or opposition to @offset but there it is!
    Largely in agreement except that he's made some great music within the last 20 years (just!) - First Of The Gang To Die, I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris...

To paraphrase Peter Cook, he's a provocative fucker though.
    I was thinking You Are The Quarry was more than 20yrs ago.

But yes, agreed, there are a few good more "recent" tunes.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2109
    Offset said:
    Offset said:
    guyinlyon said:
    Morrissey is a terrible singer and an appalling vocalist. The Smiths would have been much better with someone else.
    I'm sorry.  I love him.
    He is 1/4 of one the the finest, and certainly one of the most influential bands Britain has ever produced.

Some of his solo stuff is amazing as well.

He's gotten old now and what once was glossed over ("Bengali in Platforms", "Asian Rut") isn't funny now the whole country has gone "a bit Nazi".

Given he hasn't done a decent album for 20 years now - he needs to retire and shut up.

Not sure if that puts me in agreement or opposition to @offset but there it is!
    Largely in agreement except that he's made some great music within the last 20 years (just!) - First Of The Gang To Die, I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris...

To paraphrase Peter Cook, he's a provocative fucker though.
    I was thinking You Are The Quarry was more than 20yrs ago.

But yes, agreed, there are a few good more "recent" tunes.
    I didn’t know all this about Morrissey.  I also didn’t know that that was his name, I thought it was a band.

I have always hated his voice.  I always hated Morrissey (the band) for what feels to me like faux moodiness and the way his glottal voice drones on and on.  I’ve tried to like The Smiths because they do have some compelling music, but then the singing starts and just won’t stop.

And now it turns out the guy is a bona fide douchebag.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1499
    Next time you leave the shelter of 'Off Topic' and visit 'Guitar' you could visit this thread with far less 2015 content...

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/252579/controversial-guitar-opinions-you-have/p1
  • Brio said:
    Next time you leave the shelter of 'Off Topic' and visit 'Guitar' you could visit this thread with far less 2015 content...

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/252579/controversial-guitar-opinions-you-have/p1

Fuck that, what is this, a guitar forum all of a sudden? ;)
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1499
    Busted!
  • Benm39Benm39 Frets: 606
    12 tone music is just wonderful and Schoenberg was a genius...

Cue tumbleweed...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5218
    Eric Clapton is a competent musician but a boring guitarist.

Mark Knopfler hasn't been a good guitarist for over 30 years (and I'm probably his biggest fan).

If you've heard Queen's Greatest Hits then you don't need to hear anything else from their catalogue, it all sounds the same.

Pink Floyd had two, maybe three good songs, the rest are awful.

Here Come the Mummies make better music than any mainstream band/artist on the planet.

I meant April. ~ Simon Weir

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    Haych said:
    Here Come the Mummies make better music than any mainstream band/artist on the planet.
    Never heard of them, but it looks like they're a sort of funk-rock Steel Panther?
    Philly_Q said:
    Haych said:
    Never heard of them, but it looks like they're a sort of funk-rock Steel Panther?
    More tongue in cheek than Steel Panther, and better musicians, but otherwise pretty much on the money.

• ReverendReverend Frets: 4649
    Cranky said:
    Turns out the 70s are the absolute worst decade for music since music was invented.
    Black Sabbath called, they said you are wrong. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 572
    Timcito said:
    'The Beatles were/are overrated' has to be one of the stupidest comments on music floating around on the interwebs.  
    No more so than the constant repetition that they are the most important, inventive band ever and nothing new would exist without them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Offset said:
    guyinlyon said:
    I'm sorry.  I love him.
    You dont know anything about Morrissey do you.
  • LewyLewy Frets: 3795
    edited September 2023
    I believe that if white people want to sing blues and soul music they should be thoughtful about the material they choose and not feel they are entitled to help themselves to all the repertoire that's out there, especially if making a vocal sit properly requires uniquely African American diction, or if the subject matter relates to things that only someone having lived the black experience can lay claim to.

This proves an unpopular opinion mainly with white hobbyists who are under some sort of delusion that they are "keeping the music alive" and those who feel that any suggestion that not everyone should sing every song is some sort of woke mind virus of cultural appropriation. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited September 2023
    Reverend said:
    Cranky said:
    Turns out the 70s are the absolute worst decade for music since music was invented.
    There are exceptions to rules.

But Dio is lame.

Also, in truth, it was the 80s, not the 70s (I also love me some Funkadelic), that was the worst decade for music.  The 80s gave us all the widdlydiddly spandex shite.  But then I can’t help but blame the 70s for the 80s 
    edited September 2023
  • MBV 'Loveless' is not "all that" I have a massive fuzzywuzzygazey collection and 'Loveless' is probably ranked bottom.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Cranky said:
    Also, in truth, it was the 80s, not the 70s (I also love me some Funkadelic), that was the worst decade for music.  The 80s gave us all the widdlydiddly spandex shite.  But then I can’t help but blame the 70s for the 80s 

70s and 80s are probably my favorite decades, but I fully agree that they can be the worst at the same time. Then again, that could be said for all decades, but these two are the ones I'm interested in the most.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    Cranky said:
    But Dio is lame.
    Ouch!  Not so.
    Cranky said:
    Reverend said:
    Cranky said:
    The best period for music was late '60s to oooh... early '90s.  And that's not going to change because (rock) music is never really going to come back into the mainstream.
  • TimcitoTimcito Frets: 390
    edited September 2023
    Bezzer said:
    Timcito said:
    'The Beatles were/are overrated' has to be one of the stupidest comments on music floating around on the interwebs.  
    No more so than the constant repetition that they are the most important, inventive band ever and nothing new would exist without them.
    I think when you consider the sheer breadth and number of world-renowned musicians and singers who have validated Beatles songs by recording and/or performing them - everyone from Jimi Hendrix and Siouxsie and the Banshees through to Ray Charles, Joe  Cocker, Pat Metheny and Frank Sinatra - then yes, I do find it absurd that Joe Bloggs from Putney should mouth off online that the Beatles were overrated. This would imply that these musical giants had somehow all been commonly afflicted by a temporary lack of judgement when they paid musical homage to the band.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited September 2023
    Minor blues is dumb.  It doesn’t really sound bluesy.

Blues is already inherently “minor” in temperament. The I chord’s flat 7 and the IV7 chord flattening the I chord’s 3rd together take care of everything — the polyphony, dialogue, phrasing, and tonal mood.
  • TimcitoTimcito Frets: 390
    edited September 2023
    My favourite Stones album is Goats Head Soup. Though commonly regarded as a bit of a damp squib alongside the great albums of that period, for me, it is the one I never tire of playing. Mick Taylor's soloing and guitar tone are sublime, Jagger's vocals varied and intense without being too 'showbizzy,' and the songs more 'slow release' than immediate hits.

If only they could remove Angie from it, it would be perfect!   
  • Steely Dan are awful. Toto aren't much better. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Cranky said:
    Reverend said:
    Cranky said:

But Dio is lame.

nope, Dio was, is and always will be the greatest.

80s was also a great decade. The 90s was by far the worst decade of all time. 

The existence of Right Said Fred simply undermines anything that was good. 
  • Reverend said:
    Cranky said:
    Reverend said:
    Cranky said:

But Dio is lame.

I see your Right Said Fred (who really weren’t actually bad) and raise you Jive Bunny from the 80s 
    the_jaffa said:
    Reverend said:
    Cranky said:
    Reverend said:
    Cranky said:

But Dio is lame.

I see your Right Said Fred (who really weren’t actually bad) and raise you Jive Bunny from the 80s 
    Jive Bunny were appalling. However, I caught a snippet of RSF performing live on an old TOTP recently. it was probably the nadir of human civilisation. . 
  • Timcito said:
    Bezzer said:
    Timcito said:
    I think when you consider the sheer breadth and number of world-renowned musicians and singers who have validated Beatles songs by recording and/or performing them - everyone from Jimi Hendrix and Siouxsie and the Banshees through to Ray Charles, Joe  Cocker, Pat Metheny and Frank Sinatra - then yes, I do find it absurd that Joe Bloggs from Putney should mouth off online that the Beatles were overrated. This would imply that these musical giants had somehow all been commonly afflicted by a temporary lack of judgement when they paid musical homage to the band.

I don't base my musical opinions on what other people like. I judge it on whether I like their music or not.
    This argument of "...But so and so says!!" is irrelevant. Do I like their music ?

no.

Taking this fact into account,  Would it be logical to come to the conclusion that I personally find them overrated.?

Now, would I be stupid to go round saying "People who don't like the band I like are idiots,because they say they don't like the band I like...And I've explicitly told them why they're wrong,and how important they were and also how many other people worship their very existence?"

I'm sure they're very important to you, and that's fine.

It is also fine for me not to care one jot about them, because. And this is the important bit, I Don't like their music.

• PetGerbil said:

I don't base my musical opinions on what other people like. I judge it on whether I like their music or not.
    This argument of "...But so and so says!!" is irrelevant. Do I like their music ?

no.

Taking this fact into account,  Would it be logical to come to the conclusion that I personally find them overrated.?

"Not liking" does not equal "overrated".

I couldn't care less about Stones and I can't stand the likes of Santana and EVH, for instance. But I can't consider them overrated having in mind their huge influence and legacy.
  • Now I come to think about it, my most strongly held controversial musical opinion is this:

'Folk music' does not refer to anything vaguely acoustic and gentle. It's only folk music if it has a clear connection to the folk tradition. 
  • I like Nickelback like many others here. Their latest album is great.

Love country music, including some bro-country
    Almost every other song on Dire Straits' debut album was better than Sultans of Swing*.

* Still a good song and history says I'm wrong in any case.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter