Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Unpopular Musical Opinions - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Unpopular Musical Opinions

What's Hot

Comments

• Meatloaf.

That's all  =)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • S56035S56035 Frets: 833
    I think Clapton and that style of music (solo stuff) is utterly boring. Neither depressing enough to be the blues or angry enough to be rock. Just totally bland. See also John Mayer.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Shrews said:
    The Mercury Music Prize is laughable.

Not sure if that is an unpopular opinion actually.

Evidence:

M People - Elegant Slumming, when in the same year there was Parklife and His n Hers
    Gomez - Bring It on, when in the same year there was Urban Hymns

And the creme de la creme of all travesties..

Portishead - Dummy, at the expense of one of the greatest debut albums of all time - Definitely Maybe.

It's very much personal though.

The 90s were incredibly strong for mainstream British rock, two of the Britpop big four won at least.

If you want a real travesty, Roni Size's album of tssking and beeping noises beat sodding OK Computer in 1997!!
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    edited September 2023
    Shrews said:

Evidence:

M People - Elegant Slumming, when in the same year there was Parklife and His n Hers

Portishead - Dummy, at the expense of one of the greatest debut albums of all time - Definitely Maybe.
    It's very much personal though.

The 90s were incredibly strong for mainstream British rock, two of the Britpop big four won at least.

If you want a real travesty, Roni Size's album of tssking and beeping noises beat sodding OK Computer in 1997!!
    Every album mentioned here is shit.

You did say unpopular opinions…

(Actually slight exaggeration, His ‘n’ Hers is OK, although not their best album.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• HaychHaych Frets: 5218
    Del Amitri we’re the best British band in the 90s!

I meant April. ~ Simon Weir

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    Reverend said:

See if you can spot me in this
    About 4:42, on the left?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    edited September 2023
    Philly_Q said:
    Reverend said:

See if you can spot me in this
    About 4:42, on the left?
    Can't see him being on the right...  B
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • spev11spev11 Frets: 214
    Shrews said:

Evidence:

Urban Hymns , an album so bad I gave it away free to a mate and he gave it back.
    Oasis are a travesty
    The Beatles bore me but I actually understand their influence and popularity ( likewise the Stones)
    I’m indifferent to Hendrix, SRV, John Mayer and Rory Gallagher ( not saying they couldn’t play but it doesn’t excite me)*
    I’ve like all Black Sabbath output except Born Again
    if Clapton is god then thank fuck I’m an Atheist
    being controversial is one thing being a knob is another ( Clapton, Morrisey, Van Morrison, Roger Waters)

* I’d happily be able to play like any of em though

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2109
    Shrews said:

Evidence:

Long live triphop!
  • Urban Hynms is objectively terrible and that shouldn't even be a controversial opinion.  
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • PoboyPoboy Frets: 430
    spev11 said:
    Shrews said:

Evidence:

Urban Hymns , an album so bad I gave it away free to a mate and he gave it back.
    Oasis are a travesty
    The Beatles bore me but I actually understand their influence and popularity ( likewise the Stones)
    I’m indifferent to Hendrix, SRV, John Mayer and Rory Gallagher ( not saying they couldn’t play but it doesn’t excite me)*
    being controversial is one thing being a knob is another ( Clapton, Morrisey, Van Morrison, Roger Waters)

Good for you, chief....
  • TimcitoTimcito Frets: 390
    edited September 2023
    One opinion I've often seen on the Internet is that there is great modern pop/rock music if only we know where to look. If this is true, then it continues to elude me ... My feeling is that musical genres have their day and then eventually sink into the background, endlessly rehashing old achievements. It happened with blues, jazz, the big bands, even classical music. How many people have a collection of modern classical composers compared with those who have Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, and Vivaldi in their collection?

Those of us who were musically lucky enough to have been young in either the 50s, 60s or 70s experienced a blossoming of rock/pop music which young people of today do not and likely never will enjoy. .  
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    Philly_Q said:
    Offset said:
    SpoonMan said:
    Being a great player is fine but it doesn't mean you can make good music.

If you don't like nirvana unplugged you have no soul. 
    ....and being a mediocre player is no barrier to making good music :-)
    It's also no barrier to making bad music....  :/
    Yes, and the latter is more prevalent than the former  ;)
    Cranky said:
    Shrews said:

Evidence:

Long live triphop!
    Dummy is an absolutely brilliant album.  That isn't to say DM isn't, but I prefer the former.
    Timcito said:
    One opinion I've often seen on the Internet is that there is great modern pop/rock music if only we know where to look. If this is true, then it continues to elude me ... My feeling is that musical genres have their day and then eventually sink into the background, endlessly rehashing old achievements. It happened with blues, jazz, the big bands, even classical music. How many people have a collection of modern classical composers compared with those who have Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, and Vivaldi in their collection?

Those of us who were musically lucky enough to have been young in either the 50s, 60s or 70s experienced a blossoming of rock/pop music which young people of today do not and likely never will enjoy. .  
    So, basically “to be young again.”

Thing is, there are millions of young people loving their new music as we speak.  It’s all fine.
  • TimcitoTimcito Frets: 390
    Cranky said:
    Timcito said:

Thing is, there are millions of young people loving their new music as we speak.  It’s all fine.
    Not sure what your first sentence is supposed to mean. 

Sure, no doubt there are young people enjoying their music today. However, if they are listening to modern incarnations of the pop-rock genre, I think they are listening to weak reformulations of stuff that was once fresh, cutting edge and inspired from decades ago. Nothing wrong with that - artistic genres continue to give pleasure long after their creative bloom has passed.
  • spev11spev11 Frets: 214
    Poboy said:
    spev11 said:
    Shrews said:

Evidence:

Oasis are a travesty

Good for you, chief....
    Dunno if that’s a positive reply but I’ll take it  =) at
    Timcito said:
    Cranky said:
    Timcito said:

Not sure what your first sentence is supposed to mean. 

Sure, no doubt there are young people enjoying their music today. However, if they are listening to modern incarnations of the pop-rock genre, I think they are listening to weak reformulations of stuff that was once fresh, cutting edge and inspired from decades ago. Nothing wrong with that - artistic genres continue to give pleasure long after their creative bloom has passed.
    It means that your point is purely psychological; we all like the things of our youth, it’s a force of nature.  Nobody is more or less “musically lucky” than anyone else.  Youngsters today mostly want you/us to shove rock/pop (which in itself was already a watered down, sped up blooz) up our arses.

Our childhoods aren’t their futures.  Nor could we afford it to be so.
  • PoboyPoboy Frets: 430
    I think anything and everything is shit.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • People who say Urban Hymns is anything less than exceptional are just pretentious and trying to look clever
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • All bands and artists should have a maximum four album limit. No one needs, wants or indeed makes, a ground breaking 9th album. 
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5218
    MaxA867 said:
    All bands and artists should have a maximum four album limit. No one needs, wants or indeed makes, a ground breaking 9th album. 
    Ahem:

I meant April. ~ Simon Weir

Bit of trading feedback here.

• KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8107
    Poboy said:
    I think anything and everything is shit.
    Apart from the really good stuff, which coincidentally is all the stuff I like.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    edited September 2023
    MaxA867 said:
    All bands and artists should have a maximum four album limit. No one needs, wants or indeed makes, a ground breaking 9th album. 
    A lot of bands should stop after 2! 

But plenty get better with age - Jason Isbell's new one is his 9th and one of his best. Sticky Fingers was the Stones' 9th. The White Album is #9. Achtung Baby and In Rainbows are both #7. Out of Time & Automatic for the People are 7 & 8.

I think the best suggestion is "bands and artists should know when to stop"
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Led Zep are the most overrated band in history, and there is absolutely no reason anybody should listen to them

Honourable mentions on the overrated list:
    The Clash
    Pink Floyd
    Fleetwood Mac
    Queen
    David Bowie

None come close to LZ in that regard though
    I think there are a few mischievous posts on here by some of you, but here's an opinion I've long held and that opinion has been unwavering across the years.

I cannot stand Gary Moore's playing or material.

His 'blues' stuff in particular leaves me reaching for the off-button.  Blues guitar should be akin to wielding a scalpel; Moore goes in with a sledgehammer.  It's just awful.  And for my sins, I bought Still Got The Blues when it came out 33 years ago.  It didn't take me long to realise I couldn't listen to it.

Unfortunately I can't stand his rock stuff either; his tone and style grate immensely and it all sounds tediously similar.  The final nail is that I can't abide his voice either.

Is he a great guitarist?  Indubitably.  
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    edited September 2023
    Haych said:
    MaxA867 said:
    Ahem:
    (Rush: Signals)
    I think the best suggestion is "bands and artists should know when to stop"
    I agree with the latter suggestion, wholeheartedly.  Although I think there are many bands who haven't known when to stop and are still around, or carried on way too far beyond their best days.  But it's up to them, ultimately.

Many bands have carried on producing great material long after their second or fourth albums, Rush being one of them.  But anyway, I think it's becoming less common for bands to have huge catalogues of albums, partly because the old model of signing to a record label which will allow a band to develop, even without instant success, has pretty much gone.  And artists take much longer between albums nowadays - in the 1970s it was an album a year, sometimes even two in a year, which is almost unheard of now (unless you're the Red Hot Chili Peppers).

Since Rush were mentioned, I do have one gripe - they released far too many live albums!  It was almost one live for every studio in the latter years.  Iron Maiden are guilty of the same thing.
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 6724
    My wife hates all live albums. She says its like listening to a greatest hits album with worse sound quality.
    I agree with some they just end up sounding flat, but I enjoy ones like Ozzy Tribute where's a bit of improv on the parts. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DefaultM said:
    My wife hates all live albums. She says its like listening to a greatest hits album with worse sound quality.
    I agree with some they just end up sounding flat, but I enjoy ones like Ozzy Tribute where's a bit of improv on the parts. 
    Try her on this:

• DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 6724
    Stuckfast said:
    DefaultM said:
    Try her on this:

Sounds interesting from what I flicked through thanks will listen later.