Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The cricket thread - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The cricket thread

What's Hot

Comments

• 4 wickets 1 session to go. Good cricket

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • 2 wickets in that session , just rinse and repeat twice  =)
    Halfway there. Come on fellas you can do it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • sixstringsuppliessixstringsupplies Frets: 423
    tFB Trader
    i Have a feeling the Aussies will rattle 4 wickets in the next hour. A decent effort by England but not enough. 

So fellow cricket fans, assuming England fail to win the ashes, and Joe Root resigns (I think he should, he looks cooked) who would you make captain?

its tough, as there really isn’t anyone else. I’d go for Burns personally.

opening the batting in England is very hard and made even harder due to this insane Aussie bowling attack. Not to mention no opener played well on either side last summer against India until Alistair Cook made hay  in his last test match. 

He he has shown he has the ability to make runs against this attack and stick it out...he’s the only player in this team who has captaincy experience. 

Its controversial, but there is nobody else. Root has to go as captain. And can’t wait for Baylis to go. (Is Jason Gillespie the next England coach?) 

For Modders, Makers, Players

https://sixstringsupplies.co.uk/

Our YouTube Channel for handy "How-To" Wiring Tutorials
  • From TMS text: 

Wesley Young: Hate to be negative but if England don’t up the scoring rate here this game is going to end up a draw.

=) 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13679
    edited September 2019

i Have a feeling the Aussies will rattle 4 wickets in the next hour. A decent effort by England but not enough. 

So fellow cricket fans, assuming England fail to win the ashes, and Joe Root resigns (I think he should, he looks cooked) who would you make captain?

its tough, as there really isn’t anyone else. I’d go for Burns personally.

opening the batting in England is very hard and made even harder due to this insane Aussie bowling attack. Not to mention no opener played well on either side last summer against India until Alistair Cook made hay  in his last test match. 

He he has shown he has the ability to make runs against this attack and stick it out...he’s the only player in this team who has captaincy experience. 

Its controversial, but there is nobody else. Root has to go as captain. And can’t wait for Baylis to go. (Is Jason Gillespie the next England coach?) 

Root won't resign, he'll take 6 weeks off then head to New Zealand then South Africa for the winter as Test captain. Who wants to resign on a low, tough it out and try and end on a high. I'm not sure he'll be captain for the next Ashes series though.

Bayliss has already confirmed he is stepping down down after the Ashes.

• My heart sinks every LBW shout

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    Crap, Buttler's gone. 
    edited September 2019
    Buttler gone on his 111th ball. Nelson strikes!

I don't think Jofra has the patience and temperament for this, or Broad.

• Why on earth didn't he try to even play a shot? 
  • Why on earth didn't he try to even play a shot? 
    The field was set up for a short ball, he fell for it.

That was a horrible ball to get Jofra. 
  • Princess Leia: "Overton, Broad and Leach you are my only hope"

• scrumhalf said:
    He's too tall to dig out a low travelling ball

• scrumhalf said:
    He's too tall to dig out a low travelling ball
    I really miss watching Mohammed Irfan bat.  

Even with a full sized cricket bat, in his hands it'd look like a Fisher Price toy. 
    Tony Grieg's bat looked like a toothpick in his hands. 
  • Well that's the 2 wickets per session for Aus. It's in the bag now, we get the draw with 2 wickets in hand. Easy  =)

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33263
    You dream on...we all have a twinkle of hope and expectation in our bellies but lightning won't strike twice....probably.

This is an excellent summary of where the game is, well written:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/49623542
    Do you not know that I’m Aussie?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Yes I’d prefer we lost them later but still, it’s on ....... ;)
  • Quick thunderstorm wouldn’t go amiss
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33263
    Getting excited now!
    edited September 2019
    19 overs to go with new ball. If...a big if...England are still standing at close of play do Aus get the extra 1/2 hour for a likely result?

get your light meters out

• octatonic said:
    You dream on...we all have a twinkle of hope and expectation in our bellies but lightning won't strike twice....probably.

This is an excellent summary of where the game is, well written:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/49623542
    Do you not know that I’m Aussie?
    No I didn't. keep dreaming though...

• twitchy bum time 17 overs to go

edited September 2019
    Oh dear...the Ashes hangs on Stuart Broad's batting. I'm not confident he can last an hour like Leachy

They'll bounce him out. 
    edited September 2019
    "Oh mother, I can feel the soil falling over my head"

"I know it's over, still I cling, I don't know where else I can go"

• Well played Australia, outclassed England top to bottom.

Well, that's that.

A ludicrous schedule didn't help, but well played Aus. Might have been different without Smith, but he's there and it wasn't. 
  • A really entertaining last day of cricket, and great credit to Tim Paine for his captaincy to break through the defences and take the wickets.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • scrumhalf said:
    Well, that's that.

A ludicrous schedule didn't help, but well played Aus. Might have been different without Smith, but he's there and it wasn't. 
    To be fair, the test played without Smith needed the combination of both a legend-making innings and a woeful umpiring decision to deny Australia.

Best team won it, its been fun to finally see some competitive test cricket and for those of us neutrals who don't care either way who wins also refreshing to see a touring side coming away on top. Home advantage has been too ridiculous for too long. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter