Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The cricket thread - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The cricket thread

What's Hot

Comments

• scrumhalf said:
    Woakes gets dropped, Roy gets retained.

Nope, me neither.
    Roy drops (again) you mean

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13679
    edited September 2019
    After the Headingley antics it's hard to write off this Test for England but at this stage it really does look like the Ashes blew away on the stiff Manchester breeze.

The bowlers are fooked, Archer looks very stiff. Root trying to relieve them a bit by bowling himself.

Can Aus get 500 tonight?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    They're taking the piss now. 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
    It’s a bad sign when the opposition declare in the first innings. What’s the bet we follow on. 
    Oh Joe.

Joe!!! 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
    Would Cook come back, or boycott?
  • C'mon Rory Burns let's have a big innings, you're due another one and we need one.

• Bit to early to call, but did Archer drop England’s chances of winning this test this morning when he let Smithy off the hook?
  • Denly pushes at the ball in a line from leg stump to mid off.
    Who in the England coaching set up thought he could be a test opener?  :s
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 10961
    Best we can hope for now is a draw.  The weather forecast says there might be showers tomorrow morning.  If we could lose another hour or two from the game, then 375 in the first innings might be enough to give us a decent chance of going to the Oval level.
    Denly pushes at the ball in a line from leg stump to mid off.
    Who in the England coaching set up thought he could be a test opener?  :s
    Given Roy's tendency to play from off to leg, maybe they thought they would go in the other direction!
  • Bumble: "It's 30 degrees at Old Trafford, 15 in the morning and 15 in the afternoon"

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Australia need another 19 wickets to retain the ashes with this Test, England need to make them pay dearly for every single one. 

John Holder on TMS at lunchtime, always worth listening to.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Australia need another 19 wickets to retain the ashes with this Test, England need to make them pay dearly for every single one. 
    Make that 18 wickets...

• Has anyone else noticed that in this Ashes series there seems to be a lot of good natured chit chat between the teams, not so much of the sledging.

Have they all gone snowflake? 

• Has anyone else noticed that in this Ashes series there seems to be a lot of good natured chit chat between the teams, not so much of the sledging.

I imagine stump mics have negated a lot of sledging as everything they say is now heard/recorded. 
    I'm amazed anyone can hear anything napaprt from "Nice one Gary", "Well done, Gazza".

Every
    Single
    Bloody
    Ball

• scrumhalf said:
    I'm amazed anyone can hear anything napaprt from "Nice one Gary", "Well done, Gazza".

Every
    Single
    Bloody
    Ball

And his first name isn't even Gary. It's Nathan. 

It's what's wrong with the world....
  • Gaaarry :)
    Apparently there's an Aussie rules player called Gary Lyon. 

It's a reaction to the fallout from the sandpaper affair. Check out Youtube for some of Tim Paine's comments against India over the winter. Excellent stuff. I'm quite happy for there to be a lot of piss taking on either side in a good natured way whilst the quick bowlers let the ball do the talking. 

Sledging is also easier when you're massively in control. It's not like they can take the piss out of our batting and mock us for being a one-man top six. 

The best sledging isn't simply abusive. It needs the humour. 

• scrumhalf said:

Every
    Single
    Bloody
    Ball

It's a keeper thing. The younger me remembers Alec Stewart bellowing out "Bowling H" regulary facing that doyen of demonic tweak, Robert Croft. 

• Well said @Heartfeltdawn ;
  • Some lads behind me were giving it “bowled Gaz, nice one Gazza” routine to Jack Leach when he was fielding on Wednesday, they asked if he was sick of hearing it it, Leachy just smiled.

• skippy76 said:
    Well said @Heartfeltdawn ;
    I used to get it as a bowler from some keepers and I bloody hated it. I actually sledged one of my own keepers fairly often because he wouldn't shut up. 

• I like the way Joe Root is batting last couple of innings, he's not been in good form and has the weight of captaincy on him but is steadily grinding his way back to some semblance of form with a little bit of luck here and there. Good work.

Watch Root get out now he's got to 50.
    Root averages 100 at OT, he wants his ton. 
  • Good knocks from Burns & Root, everyone needs to score from here on in, no collapse required.