Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The cricket thread - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The cricket thread

What's Hot

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    In all this excitement, forgot to mention, well done to England and the spinners for putting us in with such  a chance - 126 all out was just what we needed - We could have been looking at well over 200 even 250
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Was surprising that Root didn't give Mark Wood a blow at Embuldeniya. 

And it's good for us that Sri Lanka have one decent spinner out. Perera's a home track offie and Mendis is a batsman who bowls who isn't in the Jayasuriya/Aravinda de Silvia class. With the seamers unlikely to bowl, it's pretty much a one-man attack if SL are going to win this. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Ooh, and there's Nelson...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    Was surprising that Root didn't give Mark Wood a blow at Embuldeniya. 

And it's good for us that Sri Lanka have one decent spinner out. Perera's a home track offie and Mendis is a batsman who bowls who isn't in the Jayasuriya/Aravinda de Silvia class. With the seamers unlikely to bowl, it's pretty much a one-man attack if SL are going to win this. 
    Yes, but that one man has taken several bowlers' worth of wickets! 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 10961
    The new ball seems to be important - even for the spinners.  It bounces more, and the seam seems to grip more.  Once you get through the first 30 or so overs it does seem to get easier.
  • camfcamf Frets: 1175
    Whatever happens, I think this has been a great test match. I love a game with the spinners battling it out with the batsmen on a turning pitch on the last couple of days. 
    Job well done, England. 
    Woohoo!

Excellent stuff from England today, that was an impressive win. 
  • scrumhalf said:
    Was surprising that Root didn't give Mark Wood a blow at Embuldeniya. 

Yes, but that one man has taken several bowlers' worth of wickets! 

So did Murali and he stated how much he missed having a spin partner in Jayasuriya when Sanath retired. Murali also had Vaas ahead of him with the new ball, Malinga for a few Tests... Sri Lanka now don't have that structure within their attack. The quick bowlers they have haven't developed further and it's asking a lot of a rookie like Embuldeniya to hold up that attack 

tFB Trader
    Good to see Butler lead the side home - Good to have such a player become the 'finisher' and recall his input into that tight finish last summer against Pakistan at Old Trafford

Looking at Root now with already over 400 runs YTD in 2021, then with the tour against India, then NZ + India at home, plus part of an Ashes series at the end of the year, then 1000 runs in a calendar year should be achievable - He's already done it twice - With so many matches in a year these days, then it is not as big a deal as before - But still a land mark - But for Root then 1200/1500 should be a viable target
    Anyone watching the T10 in Abu Dhabi?

Why have any bowlers there? They're just getting slapped all over the place. They never get a chance to bat because it's unlikely that a team will lose suficient wickets in such a short space of time for them to get a knock. Batsmen can go after the ball safe in the knowledge that there are plenty more ready to bat in only ten overs.

The number of wickets a team can lose should be reduced to five to make the balance between bat and ball a little more even.
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1506
    Good news that Test cricket is back on Channel 4! Unfortunately the All4 app is absolutely fucking useless so I can’t watch a second of it right now, unless I pop it on the TV and keep walking back and forth into the living room while I’m working. Probably not ideal. Still...good news about the chocolate oranges.
    Dopesick said:
    Good news that Test cricket is back on Channel 4! Unfortunately the All4 app is absolutely fucking useless so I can’t watch a second of it right now, unless I pop it on the TV and keep walking back and forth into the living room while I’m working. Probably not ideal. Still...good news about the chocolate oranges.

I have a TV in the room I work in.  :)

Crawley seems to be a developing a way to play, even if it isn't pretty.  Jadeja being out is probably helping him though.
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1506
    Well I’ve signed in using a different email address now so I can watch it...unfortunately they have slapped some bloody great big subtitles on the screen and there’s no way of turning them off! I’m probably just being grumpy but for fuck sake sort it out you dozy twats.

I think you mean Sibley? Root looks to be loving it at the moment though hopefully both guys stick around to the close.
    Dopesick said:
    Well I’ve signed in using a different email address now so I can watch it...unfortunately they have slapped some bloody great big subtitles on the screen and there’s no way of turning them off! I’m probably just being grumpy but for fuck sake sort it out you dozy twats.

I think you mean Sibley? Root looks to be loving it at the moment though hopefully both guys stick around to the close.

Well spotted.

I wish they would do away with the fake crowd noise.
    tFB Trader
    I forgot it was on a normal TV channel - I scanned thru' BT and SKy for a while last night looking for it and couldn't see anything - Then nearly posted a question on here to see where coverage is - Then saw it - CH4 

However on TMS at work - so hi-light show later and hopefully some time Sat/Sun to see some love

Looking good so far - Keep going lads
    tFB Trader
    Congrats Joe - Keep going
    Well done Joe Root, a century in his 100th test match.

What hacks me off is that Talksport2 is on DAB+ or DAB2 or whatever it's called, so I'd have to buy another bloody radio if I wanted to listen to it. I'd rather not listen on my phone or PC. 
    tFB Trader
    scrumhalf said:
    Well done Joe Root, a century in his 100th test match.

What hacks me off is that Talksport2 is on DAB+ or DAB2 or whatever it's called, so I'd have to buy another bloody radio if I wanted to listen to it. I'd rather not listen on my phone or PC. 
    is it not on R5 Live - I have it via the BBC web site at the moment at work - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/cricket/55282463
    Online only, I think.

Sibley seems to have been playing for stumps for the last half hour. No problem, he can come back tomorrow refreshed and do it all over again.

Root's just clobbered Ashwin for six. 
    Is there a highlight show anywhere? I can't seem to find one. 
  • camf said:
    Is there a highlight show anywhere? I can't seem to find one. camf said:

Channel 4 app has the whole broadcast . You can skip through that to get a feel for the day’s play.

edited February 2021
    Ah! Hadn’t thought of that. Thanks @breezytele
    tFB Trader
    camf said:
    I've not seen one either - You'd have thought Ch4 would have a 1 hour show around 8/9/10 pm
  • camf said:
    Yep, on All4 though and can’t access it via Sky box. Need to go through App.
  • Err,  just in case anyone is in doubt,

this whole series is being shown LIVE on Channel 4.   

This is awesome  !!

just set your timer to record channel 4 from around 4am onwards.

BBC/TMS  commentary is additionally  available via the BBC website, sports section .

(the only missing thing is ‘live TMS’ on radio 5 extra,)

Rooooooooot!

First batsman to get a double ton in his hundredth test. What a player, in the form of his life. 

Would you have declared to have a half-hour at the Indian batsmen tonight? 

• scrumhalf said:

Against pretty much any other opposition, yes. Against this India team I think it’s right to come out in the morning and throw the bat at it a bit to try and get a few more rapid runs in the first half hour.
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2124
    Agreed, make the Indians field for as long as possible. I think we're already seeing the effects with that comical dropped catch from Rohit.
    edited February 2021
    scrumhalf said:
    Rooooooooot!

First batsman to get a double ton in his hundredth test. What a player, in the form of his life. 

Yes

When they reached 500 they should have just thrown the bat.  Worst case you are bowled out for 520, and tired Indian batsmen who have been in field for nearly 2 days have a nasty session to survive.  Best case, you make 60 quick runs and declare and still give yourself a chance at the batsmen.

The chances of losing with 520 on the board are negligible.  That was really negative play.