Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Controversial guitar opinions you have. - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Controversial guitar opinions you have.

What's Hot
1353637383941»

Comments

• CrankyCranky Frets: 2109
    edited September 2023
    Philly_Q said:
    drippycat said:
    Calling them a back/front pickup is so much clearer than bridge/neck.
    It really isn't.
    Seriously.  60 pages and over one month into the thread, and this is the “hot take” that @drippycat comes up with?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_Q said:
    Cranky said:
    Philly_Q said:
    soma1975 said:
    Also Pearl Jam are a better band than Nirvana were with a far more diverse and less one-dimensional back catalogue. 
    Pearl Jam have got one good album followed by thirty years of mumbling jam-band Americana tedium.
    Wait.  Which is their one good one?

I haven’t really followed them since Vitalogy, which I liked a lot but then I just lost track.  That, 10, and Vs were all good, no?
    Just Ten.  I think Vs. and Vitalogy have a few good tracks but Vedder was already going into mogadon mode.
    I never really got into them back in the day, so I decided to go through their back catalogue a while ago. Enjoyed 10 and was surprised that I knew pretty much every track on it; didn't mind the next one, but didn't feel like I'd need to add it to my library, and couldn't even get through the next one.
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8107
    edited September 2023
    Philly_Q said:
    It's all just opinions, nobody's right or wrong... including Kurt Cobain.  In those interviews he's saying he likes Soundgarden whilst slagging off Pearl Jam and Alice in Chains, but it sounds like he's barely heard any of them (and to be fair he was probably busy with his own life and music, I wouldn't expect him to be spending hours listening to his contemporaries). 

Personally I love Alice in Chains and Soundgarden (although I wasn't too interested in either band's "reformation" albums).  I find Pearl Jam very boring, apart from Ten and a few tracks off the next couple of albums.  And I'll be honest, I haven't listened to Nirvana very much for a long time, I'm not going to say they were "better" than the other bands, but back in 1991 it was obvious that there was something about them which separated them from the rest.
    They were all second rate compared to the Pixies.

And yes, I know they weren't from seattle.  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    I never really got into them back in the day, so I decided to go through their back catalogue a while ago. Enjoyed 10 and was surprised that I knew pretty much every track on it; didn't mind the next one, but didn't feel like I'd need to add it to my library, and couldn't even get through the next one.
    That mirrors my history with PJ.  Loved Ten and didn't bother buying anything after that.

The other band from that era I really adored were The Spin Doctors.  Still give their first two albums frequent outings, especially Pocket Full Of Kryptonite.
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2109
    Offset said:
    That mirrors my history with PJ.  Loved Ten and didn't bother buying anything after that.

The other band from that era I really adored were The Spin Doctors.  Still give their first two albums frequent outings, especially Pocket Full Of Kryptonite.
    Just riffin here, it’s where my mind went straight from the Spin Doctors reference.

Lemonheads It’s a Shame about Ray.  Covers a lot of ground as a low key essential 90s alternative spin, even has a couple of 60s covers (90s loved 60s). “Drug Buddy” and “Hannah and Gabi” great singles.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Cranky said:
    Philly_Q said:
    drippycat said:
    Calling them a back/front pickup is so much clearer than bridge/neck.
    It really isn't.
    Seriously.  60 pages and over one month into the thread, and this is the “hot take” that @drippycat comes up with?
    Unfortunately, yes. I was going for dangerous & controversial as per the thread title. Fact of the matter is my life is too humdrum for controversial. And calling it the front/back pickup just confuses me.