Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Controversial guitar opinions you have. - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Controversial guitar opinions you have.

What's Hot

Comments

• NerineNerine Frets: 1659
    Your 15/20w amp isn’t “loud”. 

A JCM 800 is loud. Your 15/20w amp just isn’t, you wet wipe. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    A JCM800 isn't loud. It only has one 13A plug, and doesn't use most of it.

Loud starts with three 32A commandos. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SpoonManSpoonMan Frets: 138
    edited September 2023
    Lewy said:
    carlos said:
    SpoonMan said:
    Too much theory makes jack a dull boy 

Guitar music doesn't need to be technically complex to have great emotional depth/complexity.
    Don't really know how to explain this point tbh, but something like pink Floyd can have much more than something like vai with much fewer notes and much simpler structure/chord progressions.
    It's all about the feels, how it connects with you and where it takes you.
    Indian/eastern musicians, for example, generally seem to understand this stuff better. 
    Incredibly condescending towards Indian/eastern musicians.
    I don't see how it's condescending, but it does seem to overlook that Indian musicians pound for pound tend to be technical and theoretical monsters. Unless that's the point you're making - the assumption that they are not is condescending. 
    I certainly didn't intend to come across as condescending. Sorry if that's how it sounded. I'm not really talking about anyone's technical ability.
    What I was thinking about was concepts like the aum where within one simple sound you can find the infinite complexity of all existence.
    Does that make sense?

From a certain point of view you could say that the more notes you add and the deeper the "understanding", the more diluted the "experience" becomes.

I think you need to separate my first point from the second. They aren't necessarily connected. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Nerine said:

Thus spake the man who's never played a Matchless, methinks. 

Anyway, we all know the loudest amp on the planet is an AC30
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    Nerine said:

I find that just about any guitar amp is more than capable of being too loud.  I know that means I'm too old.
  • Philly_Q said:
    Nerine said:

I find that just about any guitar amp is more than capable of being too loud.  I know that means I'm too old.
    My Dark Terror was earsplitting when I cranked it*. I wiped quite a few smirks off of people’s faces with that little beast :)

*I say “cranked it”, but I never had the volume knob over about 1 o’clock, and even then it was like that Cheech & Chong scene where Cheech can’t open the front door :lol:
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    stickyfiddle said:

Thus spake the man who's never played a proper JCM800, methinks :).

An AC30 is loud. A Matchless is louder. A fully cranked 2203 through a 4x12" or two is on a different level entirely... and then there's the non-MV 1959 model which they also made (albeit rarely) in the JCM800 series - how it's even louder I don't know, but it is.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • swillerswiller Frets: 662
    Sure i speak for a majority here, who would say the same about themselves..
    My taste in guitars renders the rest of this forum pretty clueless individuals (unless siamese twins) with more money than sense.
    Dont worry, be silly.
  • I have played JCM800s but I’m not into the bonecrushing stuff so never really turned them up, to be fair. 

Give me a Deluxe Reverb or AC30 and I’m a happy man
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Stuckfast said:
    Neck pickups FTW. Bridge pickups sound thin and scratchy and weedy.
    This issue can be easily remedied by not using a strat.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8409
    I think I’ve come to the conclusion that all vintage style guitars sound more or less like a Telecaster, just various levels of thickness. Except for a Strat, which sounds like a Strat. I’ll probably retract this statement tomorrow. 
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3252
    Lewy said:
    carlos said:
    SpoonMan said:

Guitar music doesn't need to be technically complex to have great emotional depth/complexity.
    Don't really know how to explain this point tbh, but something like pink Floyd can have much more than something like vai with much fewer notes and much simpler structure/chord progressions.
    Indian/eastern musicians, for example, generally seem to understand this stuff better. 
    I don't see how it's condescending, but it does seem to overlook that Indian musicians pound for pound tend to be technical and theoretical monsters. Unless that's the point you're making - the assumption that they are not is condescending. 
    Exactly. Just because SpoonMan doesn't understand how they're technical and theoretical monsters, he assumes they're feel  and emotional players. Colonialist bollocks.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SpoonManSpoonMan Frets: 138
    edited September 2023
    carlos said:
    Lewy said:
    carlos said:
    SpoonMan said:

Exactly. Just because SpoonMan doesn't understand how they're technical and theoretical monsters, he assumes they're feel  and emotional players. Colonialist bollocks.

Where are you getting this from?

Did you read my last post? It's nothing to do with anyone's level of technical or theoretical ability.

I wouldn't suggest that all musicians from anywhere where anything, apart from musicians. 

Just plain bollocks. WTF has colonialism got to do with anything?! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • NickBNickB Frets: 156
    Guitar solos should be limited to 12 bars at most. After 12 bars it’s a boring wankfest. Apart from David Gilmour the rule doesn’t apply to him. 
  • Almost all guitarists have a horrible tone.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • LewyLewy Frets: 3795
    NickB said:
    Guitar solos should be limited to 12 bars at most. After 12 bars it’s a boring wankfest. Apart from David Gilmour the rule doesn’t apply to him. 
    Yes, 6 bar limit for him.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • NickBNickB Frets: 156
    edited September 2023
    Lewy said:
    NickB said:
    Yes, 6 bar limit for him.
    oooh that smarts a little. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1767
    edited September 2023
    NickB said:
    Guitar solos should be limited to 12 bars at most
    That would never work. It would just mean that when the solo comes the song modulates to 1 bpm played at 130 x tempo
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • The racial use of 'Jap' is news to me. I've always felt its a shortening of Japan and 'Nips' is the perjorative term based on one of the native names of Nippon. When we speak about these things the context is important and while former Asian people,including Japanese,may have been treated badly by the early white Imperialists(who wasn't!) the skin colour and it's shade of darkness is most of the deciding factor in things like 'Paki' rather than it simply being a shortening of Pakistani. Obviously the idiots using it often 'mistake' Indian,Sri Lankan, Bangladeshi et al with their intended abusees.
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6304
    Well yes context is important but now the news has been broken to you it's fair enough to expect some sensitivity towards people that don't know your entire innocent history of using the term and just hear the word which has a far greater and more important meaning for them than it does for you. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • PoboyPoboy Frets: 430
    I think anything and everything is shit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • soma1975 said:
    Well yes context is important but now the news has been broken to you it's fair enough to expect some sensitivity towards people that don't know your entire innocent history of using the term and just hear the word which has a far greater and more important meaning for them than it does for you. 
    Agreed. 
  • SpoonMan said:

Did you read my last post? It's nothing to do with anyone's level of technical or theoretical ability.

I wouldn't suggest that all musicians from anywhere where anything, apart from musicians. 

I don't know if it's colonialist bollocks, but your post did read as though you were making the false and very dubious inference that because Indian music sounds simple to you, it lacks complexity or theoretical nuance. Whereas in reality if Indian music sounds simple to you that's because you lack the framework to understand it properly (as do I and probably most of us here). 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    Agreed. I can't stand listening to recordings of traditional folk music but go to the odd gig as it's infinitely better live. Same thing with blues or jazz although I tend to stumble upon it rather than seek it out. Country is fucking awful and a step too far

Ahem.

The Flying Burrito Brothers The Gilded Palace of Sin Album Review   Pitchfork
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2109
    Stuckfast said:
    SpoonMan said:

I don't know if it's colonialist bollocks, but your post did read as though you were making the false and very dubious inference that because Indian music sounds simple to you, it lacks complexity or theoretical nuance. Whereas in reality if Indian music sounds simple to you that's because you lack the framework to understand it properly (as do I and probably most of us here). 
    @SpoonMan I didn’t get that at all from what you originally said.  And that’s saying something, as my “colonialist bollocks” antennae are always up.

All you said was that those who learned/knew how to play “Indian music” (I don’t remember exactly how you put it but I’m too lazy to go back and find it) were demonstrating a refined understanding/feel for the theory.  I don’t see how saying that they get get what we often don’t is an insult to them.
  • We are not being nearly controversial enough: the Fender Maverick Dorado is cool as, even with its crappy b50 and fake filtertrons. ;)
  • bluecatbluecat Frets: 429
    Sporky said, acoustics are too loud, so don't I really need an acoustic amp?
    If I had known that I would have been quids in.
  • bluecat said:
    Sporky said, acoustics are too loud, so don't I really need an acoustic amp?

Acoustic guitars are just right for sitting around a camp fire singing songs - ready made kindling. 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • The current American Pro ii model is the best Fender Strat design there has ever been. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6304
    Smoke on the Water is a dogshit song and a dogshit riff and has no place being held up as an alltime classic.

If it weren't so ubiquitous for beginners playing along one string when they start out nobody would remember it. 

Also Pearl Jam are a better band than Nirvana were with a far more diverse and less one-dimensional back catalogue. 

My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter