Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Controversial guitar opinions you have. - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Controversial guitar opinions you have.

What's Hot

Comments

• @HarrySeven has ''a particular unique'' taste in guitars.  Though I don't think this qualifies as a controversial opinion in the context of this thread or forum.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    soma1975 said:
    Wasn't there literally a Les Paul model called the Less Paul which was thinner?
    There literally was.  Around 2015 I think.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    Philly_Q said:
    soma1975 said:
    Did it cost less
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1499
    I pronounce it the French way, Lay Poul.
    Philly_Q said:
    soma1975 said:
    Did it cost less
    They were pretty cheap that year when Amazon bought loads of the leftover Gibson 2015 stock.
  • @HarrySeven has ''a particular unique'' taste in guitars.  Though I don't think this qualifies as a controversial opinion in the context of this thread or forum.
    Hmmmm…this is true.

However, other opinions which may be controversial are:

*Gibson and Fender Custom Shops should be torched.

*Cork-sniffing obsession with ever-more forensic, historically-accurate, micro-differentiated detail is a total dead end.

*Blues as a genre should be dead and buried. It’s fucking cliched and pointless.

*Signature models are a complete and utter cynical marketing ploy - and those who buy into it have been well and truly suckered. 

*Obsessing over ‘Guitar Heroes’ is a total waste of time. Fuck ‘em.

*Throwing shapes and gurning whilst playing makes you look like a twat. Fucking stop it, you’re pissing me off and embarrassing yourself.

*All neck pickups should be removed or disconnected. They sound shit.

*Away with your blinged-up ‘Wood Library’, ‘Private Stock’ and other such nonsense, Mr. PRS. Your guitars look like shite.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • swillerswiller Frets: 662
    im with you on all that apart from the neck pickup. They are the feminine voluptuous aspect of a guitar and sound like they have been oestrogen potted.
    Dont worry, be silly.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    As I get older I find myself using the neck pickup more. It’s probably like the hollow guitar thing…

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Hmmmm…this is true.

However, other opinions which may be controversial are:

*Gibson and Fender Custom Shops should be torched.

*Cork-sniffing obsession with ever-more forensic, historically-accurate, micro-differentiated detail is a total dead end.

*Blues as a genre should be dead and buried. It’s fucking cliched and pointless.

*Signature models are a complete and utter cynical marketing ploy - and those who buy into it have been well and truly suckered. 

*Obsessing over ‘Guitar Heroes’ is a total waste of time. Fuck ‘em.

*Throwing shapes and gurning whilst playing makes you look like a twat. Fucking stop it, you’re pissing me off and embarrassing yourself.

*All neck pickups should be removed or disconnected. They sound shit.

*Away with your blinged-up ‘Wood Library’, ‘Private Stock’ and other such nonsense, Mr. PRS. Your guitars look like shite.
    Just for the sake of balance, everything @HarrySeven just said is true
  • Neck pickups FTW. Bridge pickups sound thin and scratchy and weedy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • randellarandella Frets: 3847
    Philly_Q said:
    Cranky said:
    soma1975 said:

The Paul David 'listening face' in the corner of the screen of those guest solos videos he does is the worst thing on the internet since 2 girls 1 cup. 
    Yes!  It’s equivalent to Stanley Tucci’s face when he is somehow blown away by every bite of spaghetti he takes.  They can both fuck right off with that shite.
    You're beginning to sound positively British. 
    "Controversial guitar opinions containing British vernacular sound best when read in a northern English accent."
  • People listen to live music with their eyes. Guitar faces and moving around while playing to engage the audience improves your sound more than any amplifier or guitar "upgrade"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    Lebarque said:
    Only sad sacks refer to a Les Paul as a 'Lester'
    I noticed that Mick Taylor did this on TPS and I thought ooh I bet there are some Fretboarders seething. 
    What about people who call it a "Paul"?
    Well if it is a Paul (as in the late '70s model) that's absolutely fine :-)
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6304
    So there actually is a 'Less Paul' and a 'The Paul' model. 

So in fact the only unacceptable name is a Lester. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6565
    tFB Trader
    Controversial guitar opinions you have

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • NerineNerine Frets: 1659
    Stuckfast said:
    Neck pickups FTW. Bridge pickups sound thin and scratchy and weedy.
    This isn’t controversial, it’s just plain incorrect. 
    People listen to live music with their eyes. Guitar faces and moving around while playing to engage the audience improves your sound more than any amplifier or guitar "upgrade"
    I think you also "feel" live music in the atmosphere - not just the sound, which is different from recorded sound, but being there in the room with the musicians, and the audience, adds to the experience.

But you're right, I can watch a live band (in person, or even on YouTube) play music which I would never listen to on record - be that jazz, blues, country... probably not folk, that's a step too far.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • People listen to live music with their eyes. Guitar faces and moving around while playing to engage the audience improves your sound more than any amplifier or guitar "upgrade"
    This shouldn't be controversial but probably is for many. 

Whether the performers like it or not, a gig is a performance and players should act as such. That can mean staring at their feet facing each other, or staying motionless while staring at the crowd, but it should be intentional. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Whether the performers like it or not, a gig is a performance and players should act as such. 
    And this is why I hate:

a. Gigging, and

b. Going to gigs.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_Q said:
    People listen to live music with their eyes. Guitar faces and moving around while playing to engage the audience improves your sound more than any amplifier or guitar "upgrade"
    I think you also "feel" live music in the atmosphere - not just the sound, which is different from recorded sound, but being there in the room with the musicians, and the audience, adds to the experience.

But you're right, I can watch a live band (in person, or even on YouTube) play music which I would never listen to on record - be that jazz, blues, country... probably not folk, that's a step too far.
    Agreed. I can't stand listening to recordings of traditional folk music but go to the odd gig as it's infinitely better live. Same thing with blues or jazz although I tend to stumble upon it rather than seek it out. Country is fucking awful and a step too far

There's such a different feel in a pub or concert hall than through a recording, especially if the band performs and draws you in
    Philly_Q said:

Agreed. I can't stand listening to recordings of traditional folk music but go to the odd gig as it's infinitely better live. Same thing with blues or jazz although I tend to stumble upon it rather than seek it out. Country is fucking awful and a step too far

There's such a different feel in a pub or concert hall than through a recording, especially if the band performs and draws you in
    I think it applies to cinema as well, even though it lacks the live performance aspect.  Watching a film on a big screen, sat with an audience who are laughing (or jumping in fright, or whatever) en masse makes such a big difference.  Whether the film's good or bad, you can feel the mood in the audience shifting and changing and it really adds to the experience.

I know people nowadays say they prefer watching at home for convenience - cheaper, no travel, drinks and snacks whenever you want, pause for a toilet break if you need one - but I just don't think there's the same level of concentration or engagement. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    I prefer home to cinema (or gig) precisely because there aren't a load of people doing things that pull me out of the film and back into the room. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • SpoonManSpoonMan Frets: 138
    edited September 2023
    Too much theory makes jack a dull boy 

Guitar music doesn't need to be technically complex to have great emotional depth/complexity.
    Don't really know how to explain this point tbh, but something like pink Floyd can have much more than something like vai with much fewer notes and much simpler structure/chord progressions.
    It's all about the feels, how it connects with you and where it takes you.
    Indian/eastern musicians, for example, generally seem to understand this stuff better. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3252
    SpoonMan said:

Guitar music doesn't need to be technically complex to have great emotional depth/complexity.
    Don't really know how to explain this point tbh, but something like pink Floyd can have much more than something like vai with much fewer notes and much simpler structure/chord progressions.
    Indian/eastern musicians, for example, generally seem to understand this stuff better. 
    Incredibly condescending towards Indian/eastern musicians.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SpoonMan said:

Don't really know how to explain this point tbh, but something like pink Floyd can have much more than something like vai with much fewer notes
    How can that be? How can less be more? It's impossible. More is more. Simple simple logic
  • distresseddistressed Frets: 287
    edited September 2023

Whether the performers like it or not, a gig is a performance and players should act as such. That can mean staring at their feet facing each other, or staying motionless while staring at the crowd, but it should be intentional. 
    Performers should do whatever they like, until it is regulated by strict laws at the state level. After that, it will be all regulated by specialized gig police and courts.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • carlos said:
    SpoonMan said:

Eh? 
  • LewyLewy Frets: 3795
    soma1975 said:
    So there actually is a 'Less Paul' and a 'The Paul' model. 

So in fact the only unacceptable name is a Lester. 
    Not quite, because a common American way of pronouncing the abbreviated "Les" sounds like "less" as opposed to the typical British pronunciation which sounds like "lez" and it's that that people are affecting, as opposed to referring specifically to the model knows as the Less Paul. So for me it's as cringeworthy as when a British person says "ass" rhyming with crass when referring to an arse (it's fine when referring to a donkey). Or as daft as if we all started pronouncing Graham as Gram.

God I care way less about this than the amount of typing would indicate. Perhaps I should say I care lez about it.....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    SpoonMan said:

I agree. But my controversial related opinion is that most players who say this aren't very good at putting those things into their playing either.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    carlos said:
    SpoonMan said:

I don't see how it's condescending, but it does seem to overlook that Indian musicians pound for pound tend to be technical and theoretical monsters. Unless that's the point you're making - the assumption that they are not is condescending.