Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Controversial guitar opinions you have. - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Controversial guitar opinions you have.

What's Hot
soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6304

A place for them all to be stored. Not a place for getting grumpy with each other. Just a bit of fun to list those opinions you have formed that might have other people raging.

I'll get us goint.

1) It's not a Stratocaster unless is has 3 x single coils. An HSS guitar is another thing entirely. 
2) 99% of drive pedals can be made to sound the same.
3) Pedals that on purpose sound broken and cheap shouldn't be more expensive.
4) Playing Nirvana on a Suhr is the sign of a wrongun.

My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
11reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• AndyGT75AndyGT75 Frets: 84
    I don’t like PRS guitars. I hate the look of them and never played one that felt like anything worth the price tag. I know that people rave about them, but they’re just  not for me. I get disparaging looks whenever I mention it to guitar pals so Perhaps I’m in the wrong lol. I also hate any Strat copy that isn’t a fender because without the Fender headstock it just looks wrong. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 17reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    Humidity and temperature of the room you are in affects “tone” much more than the guitar, the wood, the effects and the amp.  
    2reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I'm happy when people say 'It has to be a Fender/Gibson' etc as it gives those of us at the bottom end of the market access to quality guitars at budget prices. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TDubsTDubs Frets: 511
    Essex recording studios has done more for the guitar industry than Leo Fender & Les Paul combined 
    38reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • floeighty2floeighty2 Frets: 128
    That Ian Elson is just ahead of his time. 
    15reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    None of my opinions are controversial. It's just that people don't agree with them.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2072
    edited August 2023
    soma1975 said:

A place for them all to be stored. Not a place for getting grumpy with each other. Just a bit of fun to list those opinions you have formed that might have other people raging.

I'll get us goint.

1) It's not a Stratocaster unless is has 3 x single coils. An HSS guitar is another thing entirely...

I'll have to stop you there

My Ibanez HSS AZ2204 sounds more like my idea of a Strat than my Fender Strats.
    My best sounding Fender Strat is my HSS Strat
    My Strat Plus (SSS) with gold lace sensors sounds the least Stratty
    The neck pickup on my Fender Tele Professional sounds more Stratty than my Fender Strats

soma1975 said:

And furthermore

I play 'Smells Like Tean Spirit' live on my (Suhr like) Ibanez AZ2204

It's not a competition.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    Tone comes from the strings and nothing else
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Buying expensive gear doesn’t make you sound any better. I get tired of ads on JMB and Bandmix that say ‘Must have pro level gear’. I’ve played with loads of people that have horrendously expensive guitars, basses and amps and they’ve still been crap. Learn your craft first and don’t expect to be able to buy talent and ability off the shelf at PMT. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Relics are a good idea. 
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • HabaneroHabanero Frets: 225
    Surely a guitar with some dings could be described as ‘lightly relic’d’?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I like shiny, brand new, unblemished guitars.

It's not a competition.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Bennyboy-UKBennyboy-UK Frets: 1565
    The price of any guitar gear new or used would be better spent on paying for quality lessons.

The time used in forum posting would better spent on structured practice.
    I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for Watson, SS2, Vintage S, T62, Vanguard.

Please drop me a message.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 18reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5750
    I don't like Flame Maple tops anymore. This is awkward as one of my best Guitars is a EVH Wolfgang with flame maple top. I guess the fact that it's purple tones down the flame a little.

I'd much rather have a Plain Top Les Paul as well, or a solid colour one.

I appreciate that it is nice figuring and that some people like Flame and Quilt tops, but I would never go for one now.
    And they said that in our time, all that's good will fall from grace, even Saints would turn their face, in our time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    As technology has improved the music hasn't.

There are too many entirely unnecessary pedals on the market these days. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6304
    edited August 2023
    soma1975 said:

I'll get us goint.

1) It's not a Stratocaster unless is has 3 x single coils. An HSS guitar is another thing entirely...

I'll have to stop you there

My Ibanez HSS AZ2204 sounds more like my idea of a Strat than my Fender Strats.
    My best sounding Fender Strat is my HSS Strat
    My Strat Plus (SSS) with gold lace sensors sounds the least Stratty
    The neck pickup on my Fender Tele Professional sounds more Stratty than my Fender Strats

soma1975 said:

And furthermore

I play 'Smells Like Tean Spirit' live on my (Suhr like) Ibanez AZ2204

You are history's greatest monster. 

Also

5) Lace Sensors aren't real single coil strat pickups. 

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 6677
    I always think of Rickenbackers as 'Fanny Jangle Boxes' 
    You can now read my guitar ramblings here http://www.gearnews.com and here https://guitarbomb.com 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2072
    edited August 2023
    soma1975 said:

You are history's greatest monster. 

Also

5) Lace Sensors aren't real single coil strat pickups. 

Well we can agree on that point. As someone who picked up my Strat Plus once said: "Nice guitar", "sounds good", "but it doesn't sound like a Strat"

It's not a competition.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2064
    AndyGT75 said:
    Buying expensive gear doesn’t make you sound any better. I get tired of ads on JMB and Bandmix that say ‘Must have pro level gear’. I’ve played with loads of people that have horrendously expensive guitars, basses and amps and they’ve still been crap. Learn your craft first and don’t expect to be able to buy talent and ability off the shelf at PMT. 
    I don’t recall seeing any ads on those sites that made that sort of requirement. It’s also a moot point exactly what qualifies as ‘pro level’ gear…
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Keefy said:
    AndyGT75 said:
    I don’t recall seeing any ads on those sites that made that sort of requirement. It’s also a moot point exactly what qualifies as ‘pro level’ gear…
    Well, I’ve seen loads of ads demanding top quality
    kit - otherwise I wouldn’t have mentioned it. It annoys me and I ignore anyone who places that as a top priority. And as you say, what exactly is pro level gear. A big name? Something costing more than 2 grand? Who knows. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1767
    Guitar is a shit instrument and guitarists are all aresholes

The future of good music is the accordion 
    16reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
    I don't like Flame Maple tops anymore. This is awkward as one of my best Guitars is a EVH Wolfgang with flame maple top. I guess the fact that it's purple tones down the flame a little.

I'd much rather have a Plain Top Les Paul as well, or a solid colour one.

I appreciate that it is nice figuring and that some people like Flame and Quilt tops, but I would never go for one now.
    Anything with flaming should just be burned.  
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5092
    The price of any guitar gear new or used would be better spent on paying for quality lessons.

The time used in forum posting would better spent on structured practice.
    Bloody heretic!!

Don’t be coming round here with your sensible facts and logic based comments 
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 2811
    1) The strat bridge pickup is a total waste of space and significant design flaw.

2) Hillsong endorsements have done more to ruin great gear than any other artist, band or genre of music. 

3) PRS = nu metal.

There you go, anyone getting tetchy? ;)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2064
    AndyGT75 said:
    Keefy said:
    AndyGT75 said:
    kit - otherwise I wouldn’t have mentioned it. It annoys me and I ignore anyone who places that as a top priority. And as you say, what exactly is pro level gear. A big name? Something costing more than 2 grand? Who knows. 
    I wonder now whether I’ve seen them but just skimmed past that part, on the basis that I was confident my kit was up to it.

I can only think of one occasion on which the kit that someone brought to an audition contributed to a decision not to have them in the band. That was when a prospective bass player turned up with a powered monitor that was clearly completely unsuitable for amplifying a bass guitar at gig levels - and it turned out he’d borrowed that from his girlfriend’s dad. He was adamant that it would be fine. Really? Next!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3503
    edited August 2023
    Fenders and Gibsons are for sad old bastards who are stuck in the past.  And they're clearly not as well made as many, many other companies.
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • 1) The strat bridge pickup is a total waste of space and significant design flaw.

Not if it's a humbucker.

Who's going to break first and get tetchy?

It's not a competition.
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6304
    1) The strat bridge pickup is a total waste of space and significant design flaw.

Not if it's a humbucker.

Who's going to break first and get tetchy?

And you call yourself a stratman...

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Keefy said:
    AndyGT75 said:
    Keefy said:
    AndyGT75 said:
    I wonder now whether I’ve seen them but just skimmed past that part, on the basis that I was confident my kit was up to it.

I can only think of one occasion on which the kit that someone brought to an audition contributed to a decision not to have them in the band. That was when a prospective bass player turned up with a powered monitor that was clearly completely unsuitable for amplifying a bass guitar at gig levels - and it turned out he’d borrowed that from his girlfriend’s dad. He was adamant that it would be fine. Really? Next!
    I’ve seen it a few times. Someone starts playing, has disposal income and buys a Marshall stack and expensive US Fender but still sounds awful. I played in a band with a guy that would be really nasty about other band members equipment and espouse that his pickups cost more than a lot of guitars, etc, but was an awful guitarist. Really shrill and thumped the crap out of it. I have all the ‘pro level
    gear’ I guess, but I don’t think that it’s the be all and end all. I turned down a bassist recently that messaged me on JMB because he harped on about his rig and what he expected everyone else to bring along. I replied with ‘I’m sorry but you sound above our league and we wouldn’t want to disappoint you’. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • swillerswiller Frets: 662
    • Playing what is in your head/heart without thinking about it is harder than playing any solo. 
    • The best songs are made by dicking about simply with a blank mind and often by technically rubbish guitarists.
    • 99% of guitar solos are the guitarist showing off skills and nothing to do with emotional development of the listener.
    • Most guitarists sound the same and play the same style and chase the same sound.
    • When you hit 50 you will GAS for a flying v or explorer having detested the image in your teens/twenties.
    • Tele headstocks are the worst looking ever and look like a mis shaped sausage on the end of a guitar.

Dont worry, be silly.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter