Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Controversial guitar opinions you have. - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Controversial guitar opinions you have.

What's Hot

Comments

• StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2124
    People who claim that they can't live with minor differences in neck width / depth, fret size, scale length and so on are just spoilt and should feel lucky that it's no longer 1962.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1569
    TDubs said:
    Essex recording studios has done more for the guitar industry than Leo Fender & Les Paul combined 
    Does anybody actually pay those OTT prices for those guitars?

Believe me,inflation has caught up. theyre almost starting to look like the pricier end of reasonable.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    edited August 2023
    Faye said:
    Loobs said:
    Is that actually your opinion on The Beatles? If so, you're completely whacked. 
    Absolutely. 

Innovative musicianship? Nope, far more groundbreaking stuff going on in jazz. 

Greatest songwriting? Nope. Dylan, The Byrds, Zappa... all pushing the boundaries further than the 'fab four'. 

The Beatles became mega famous because of their image, mainly. People went to their concerts to scream through them, not to listen to the music. 

It was this commercial success, and the money it brought into the music business as people sought to replicate it, which is their legacy. 
    Well it's definitely controversial, and wrong too. 

As if the Beatles aren't like top three influential artists of all time because of their song writing. Think about all the bands who SOUND like them. Not look like them, but SOUND like them. From Nirvana to Oasis to Radiohead and many, many more. They're basically an industry in their right, influencing other bands who went on to sell tens of millions of albums.

To brush aside all the culture from music, films, shows that the Beatles influenced and appear in and reduce that influence to just 'money' is just plain wrong. You can go anywhere in the world and you will find Beatles superfans.

Their songs unite us, they're sung at every kind of event, from weddings to football matches to funerals, they are woven into our national culture because their songs touch so many people. That is their legacy. 

You either just dislike them and want to be controversial, or somehow their influence has passed you by. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SpoonManSpoonMan Frets: 138
     TeleMaster said:
    Faye said:
    Loobs said:
    Is that actually your opinion on The Beatles? If so, you're completely whacked. 
    Absolutely. 

Innovative musicianship? Nope, far more groundbreaking stuff going on in jazz. 

Greatest songwriting? Nope. Dylan, The Byrds, Zappa... all pushing the boundaries further than the 'fab four'. 

The Beatles became mega famous because of their image, mainly. People went to their concerts to scream through them, not to listen to the music. 

It was this commercial success, and the money it brought into the music business as people sought to replicate it, which is their legacy. 
    Well it's definitely controversial, and wrong too. 

As if the Beatles aren't like top three influential artists of all time because of their song writing. Think about all the bands who SOUND like them. Not look like them, but SOUND like them. From Nirvana to Oasis to Radiohead and many, many more. They're basically an industry in their right, influencing other bands who went on to sell tens of millions of albums.

To brush aside all the culture from music, films, shows that the Beatles influenced and appear in and reduce that influence to just 'money' is just plain wrong. You can go anywhere in the world and you will find Beatles superfans.

Their songs unite us, they're sung at every kind of event, from weddings to football matches to funerals, they are woven into our national culture because their songs touch so many people. That is their legacy. 

You either just dislike them and want to be controversial, or somehow their influence has passed you by. 

Errr....  =)
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Acoustic guitar playing is for real [insert gender here] and you will get there eventually.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1767
    Offset said:
    Philly_Q said:
    If Fender guitars are just two bits of wood screwed together, then Gibsons are just two bits of wood badly glued together with a professionally re-attached headstock 

Minor amendment.
    Another minor amendment 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Acoustic playing is what I do either if I can't be bothered to cable up something better, or if I'm playing at my parents church social events
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    Faye said:
    Kilgore said:
    They weren't just a product of social change but were drivers of that change.

I'd still argue that that's more down to right place, right time, rather than anything particularly wonderful in their musicianship. 

They were a social phenomenon, which occurred because the economic and cultural conditions were right for it. 

The Beatles didn't create those conditions, they simply benefited from them. 
    It wasn't the musicianship; it was the songwriting. 

That so many can't understand this explain SO MUCH of why so much guitar music is so dull
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • jpttaylorjpttaylor Frets: 453
    Guitars have volume and tone knobs for a reason. I’m sure a significant number of threads asking for the perfect drive tone/set of pickups/new guitar suggestions could be solved if people didn’t just set everything at 10 and pretend they didn’t exist.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    I think it's OK not to like their output. It's also OK to be utterly bored of it - much of it has been played and payed and played. 

They were in the right place at the right time too, but that's not all of it. Many of the songs are jolly well crafted, and they pushed the recording technology (and/or chose people to work with who did). 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    Sporky said:
    Philly_Q said:
    If Fender guitars are just two bits of wood screwed together, then Gibsons are just two bits of wood glued together.

Six, I think? 
    Or more, even.  Most Fenders aren't two, either.  I'm just simplifying for dramatic effect.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    We’re supposed to believe our controversial view right ?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    Stuckfast said:
    People who claim that they can't live with minor differences in neck width / depth, fret size, scale length and so on are just spoilt and should feel lucky that it's no longer 1962.
    Yeah, crazy that we should spend a mere couple of grand on something and have the temerity to be picky about the details.
    Entitled bastards.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BradBrad Frets: 590
    I try not to speak bad of things, particularly when it comes to guitar and music as there’s enough negativity in the world but…

The “Beat It” solo

I get the backstory and all the rest of it however:

1. The perfect guy to do it was already on the song playing rhythm guitar. 

2. It’s out of tune. 

3. See number 2.

And I think Eddie was a brilliant player by the way. But the Beat It solo… 

*runs for cover*

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    Brad said:

The “Beat It” solo

*runs for cover*

I mean wow. Only one of the all time greatest bits of Pop/Rock crossover brilliance...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2506
    Faye said:
    Kilgore said:

I'd still argue that that's more down to right place, right time, rather than anything particularly wonderful in their musicianship. 

They were a social phenomenon, which occurred because the economic and cultural conditions were right for it. 

Amazing how they managed to pull the wool over the eyes of know-nothings like Aaron Copland and Leonard Bernstein back in the 60s.  if only you'd been there to put them right.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    Brad said:

The “Beat It” solo

*runs for cover*

I mean wow. Only one of the all time greatest bits of Pop/Rock crossover brilliance...
    Controversial eh? :wink:
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Brad said:
    I try not to speak bad of things, particularly when it comes to guitar and music as there’s enough negativity in the world but…

The “Beat It” solo

I get the backstory and all the rest of it however:

1. The perfect guy to do it was already on the song playing rhythm guitar. 

2. It’s out of tune. 

3. See number 2.

And I think Eddie was a brilliant player by the way. But the Beat It solo… 

*runs for cover*

Eddie had already played the solo before Luke did the rhythm parts (although the main riff had already been written by MJ)

I also believe that the was a huge issue with the initial basic recording containing the solo getting mostly mangled so they had to seriously repair it with Luke and Parcaro redoing parts- different tape speeds probably explain some of the tuning 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    The guitar solo in Jump is awful. Whoever did it needs a slap. 

The keyboard solo, however, is magnificent. Whoever did that needs a medal.

;) 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2072
    edited August 2023
    Here are some of mine

...The Hot Rod Deluxe drive channel sounds great...

Steady on! We need to draw a line somewhere

And I've gigged with HRDs for well over 10 years.

It's not a competition.
    edited August 2023
    @flying_pie as I said, I’m fully aware of the background to it and I’m not disputing the impact it had, even on myself initially. But considering the personnel involved (and how brutal a perfectionist Quincey Jones is) I’m still surprised they didn’t find away of sorting it properly. Ditto Young Hearts Run Free… a perfect pop song, flawless production… until the sax solo starts. 

@Sporky if I could only lol AND wis.. so I’ll do neither :wink:
  • Novo Guitars. I don't doubt for a second that they're expertly crafted instruments made with the best components, and that they sound and play brilliantly. But by God they're bloody hideous to look at! 

They just look wonky and cheap to me. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Brad said:
    @flying_pie as I said, I’m fully aware of the background to it and I’m not disputing the impact it had, even on myself initially. But considering the personnel involved (and how brutal a perfectionist Quincey Jones is) I’m still surprised they didn’t find away of sorting it properly
    I'd agree with that. I'm not challenging your opinion; I was just providing context as your post made it sound Luke had set everything up for the solo when he hadn't been involved at that point
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 2811
    edited August 2023
    Novo Guitars. I don't doubt for a second that they're expertly crafted instruments made with the best components, and that they sound and play brilliantly. But by God they're bloody hideous to look at! 

Worst relic jobs in the business imo, makes the fender custom shop look professional. 
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6304
    Loobs said:
    soma1975 said:
    My son has recently become obsessed with the Beatles and I have heard a lot more than I'd ever previously known. 

John was by far the best guitarist in the band and he had a great sense of rhythm. 

George became a great player long after the band split. 

True JL was probably the best technician. The second statement is false, though. Have you heard All Things Must Pass? It was recorded around the time The Beatles finished. 
    All God yeah he even makes me listen to Cloud 9. He's 6. ATMP is decent and he could always construct a nice solo if given enough time. Never one to improvise much though. 

I think by the Bangladesh concert he's starting to really have it down.  
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    Philly_Q said:
    If Fender guitars are just two bits of wood screwed together, then Gibsons are just two bits of wood glued together.

3 bits if you include the bit of headstock that broke off. 

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • LewyLewy Frets: 3795
    edited August 2023
    Philly_Q said:
    Stuckfast said:
    Yeah, crazy that we should spend a mere couple of grand on something and have the temerity to be picky about the details.
    Entitled bastards.
    Haha. It does make me wonder though, when on the one hand you have people able to move effortlessly from electric guitar, to acoustic guitar, to bass, to banjo and mandolin and then on the other hand you have people who I've genuinely seen claim that they can find themselves in actual agony if they try and play a guitar with x nut width versus y nut width.....it sometimes strikes me as a bit of an affectation as in "my playing is so nuanced and precise that the slightest variation can physically harm me". A bit princess and the pea if you know what I mean.

Although it turned out she was a princess and there was a pea, so what do I know.
    Novo Guitars. I don't doubt for a second that they're expertly crafted instruments made with the best components, and that they sound and play brilliantly. But by God they're bloody hideous to look at! 

They are the Ariel Posen of guitars. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • FayeFaye Frets: 77

Faye said:
    Kilgore said:

That argument implies that it could almost have been anybody else. Gerry and the Pacemakers, The Merseybeats etc, etc.

We'll have to disagree on this one. :)

Not really, if you accept that a large part of the Beatles' appeal was as the first boy band in the era of television, and a younger generation with disposable income. 

So yes, we'll have to disagree. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    soma1975 said:

They are the Ariel Posen of guitars. 
    Young & athletic?
     https://collegegymnews.com/2021/06/02/five-star-recruit-ariel-posen-22-switches-commitment-from-ucla-to-georgia/
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter