Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Controversial guitar opinions you have. - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Controversial guitar opinions you have.

What's Hot

Comments

• flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1767
    Playing chords is only for talentless wankers
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Who's going to break first and get tetchy?

Jeff Beck was the most overrated guitarist of all time
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OctavioOctavio Frets: 114
    edited August 2023
    If it's not made in America then don't bother (exceptions Japan and local luthiers).
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 29588
    Lessons in rock n roll guitar are a contradiction in terms. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    The Fretboard Forum is a fantastic place for creative, young female guitarists to hang out
    24reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    You don't need to upgrade the pickups in a Harley Benton to make it better than a Gibson 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Middle pickup alone on a Strat is a horrid sound that should never be used.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • AndyGT75AndyGT75 Frets: 84
    Middle pickup alone on a Strat is a horrid sound that should never be used.
    I absolutely love Strats but agree with this, lol! Second position and neck only for me lol. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Nitro is not a very good finish - it feels sticky, reacts with stands/straps/some case linings, and is really just a bit crap. A nice thin polyurethane is far superior and actually ages in a comparable way, just more slowly.

Roasted maple is a horrible idea and a way to ruin good timber. It's weak, brittle and soft all at the same time... vile.

Middle pickup alone is the best sound on a SSS Strat.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1499
    You only need one guitar. And it wont be as good as mine.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Guitar techs aren't Guitar Luthiers.....I knew a so called Luthier who used alot of dubious methods to make an old Harmony acoustic playable. The guitar came back with terrible intonation, cracked heel and basically bodged together. He was only good for setting up guitars to a degree and yet he still calls himself a Luthier!? Never again!!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Don’t keep changing guitar during a gig.  The only good reasons to change guitar mid set are:
    a) alternate tuning
    b) fundamentally different type of guitar e.g. switching to an acoustic or a 12 string
    c) broken string or guitar malfunction 
    Find a good gigging guitar and stick to it. 

Nobody at a live gig cares about your tone.  Not even the rest of your band. The place for being picky about tone is in the studio, not live. Just get on with playing and creating an energy between you and the rest of the band. 

Don’t drink when gigging.  You can’t play better when you’re drunk, you just think you can. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 23reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • AndyGT75AndyGT75 Frets: 84
    Don’t keep changing guitar during a gig.  The only good reasons to change guitar mid set are:
    a) alternate tuning
    b) fundamentally different type of guitar e.g. switching to an acoustic or a 12 string

Nobody at a live gig cares about your tone.  Not even the rest of your band. The place for being picky about tone is in the studio, not live. Just get on with playing and creating an energy between you and the rest of the band. 

Don’t drink when gigging.  You can’t play better when you’re drunk, you just think you can. 

100% spot on!!!! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Who's going to break first and get tetchy?

Jeff Beck was the most overrated guitarist of all time
    Almost got me going there, but I decided to take deep breaths, pace around the room, then drink more beer. I'll have calmed down by the morning.
    It's not a competition.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KevSKevS Frets: 309
    We are chasing the same guitar sounds and tones in our heads,we are chasing us..
    Whether on 2 Boss Pedals and a Peavey Bandit or a Line 6 Helix..

Or maybe I am just chasing me and other people aren't..
    When we get very different equipment,we are often actually trying to find very similar sounds..
    A different journey to the same destination,,sometimes a complicated journey to achieve the simple....
    So we are best to buy the equipment that works as an extension of us to do that....
    This has either came to me via a hard search,or just luck..

With me,It can turn out with pickups to affect how obvious I hear certain chord types,,
    How obvious those interval pitches pitches are,,for me this is huge,but I haven't heard others mention it..,Or how responsive we can find pickups to our playing touch..
    Most Strat pickups are fine to listen to other people playing on,when I'm playing them, 99% of them sabotage me..
    I didn't realise this for decades..
    There was a time I just made do with what I had,but as I developed and had financial access to more gear, I realised these subtleties and not so subtle things too..
    So many Strat Pickups go Plunk before you get anywhere near your highest dynamic range in your playing..
    If you are going to do a spanky rhythm with accents,are these plunky pickups any use..?
    Too low output,you get thin with no presence or sizzle..
    It is the exact same with Telecaster Pickups..There is only one set I actually like..
    Are they boutique ?..nope...Am I fussy,if I have that opportunity,damn right I am..I know what I want..
    So many products offer,but don't deliver..
    Humbuckers, I can get into more of,but many that are very expensive and also many actual Gibson ones I think sound beyond awful and don't respond dynamically,or I can't hear the part of the sound that helps he identify intervals resonating with each other..Or just thin,lacking mid,,or where I like mid to bloom,,not at 1 Khz by the way..

Even my plectrum choice changed and is not just chosen from how I pick but also the plectrum to me makes a big difference to guitar tone,I realised for me,too thick when playing rhythm was making chords sound like big congealed,claustrophobic lumps,,they were shouting,,Give Me Air,open up my sound..I don't care what works for Yngwie or Schenker..
    Yes they have more shred ability than me,I can still love what they play,but my ears,hands,arse etc respond differently..

When I fire up my Headrush Pedalboard,I can get totally lost,but not one drive pedal model really works as an extension of me..
    Yet I  use the original pedal of one model and an update of another and wouldn't be without them,
    to me they are part of how I get my set up to work for me....
    Models may sound really close,but they respond to your touch very different..
    It was obvious 20 years ago,it has got better but I think we are still decades away..
    We can do an approximation of our heroes tones with these things..
    We can kind of do a homogenised sounding version of us on them,
    but are we in synch with them..
    A simple TS9 Tube Screamer can work with my hands and brain beautifully,
    yet lots of boutique trendy pedals I don't connect with..
    Can a Headrush Pedalboard truly give access to do me.
    I know I may sound up my own arse,but everything is a matter of degrees and that answer is no..

Ever so often,I try a bit of gear and genuinely go,,where have you been all my life..
    It could be a plectrum,but be monumental and 50 pence..
    I have my definite favourite Pedals,Picks and Pickups etc..

WHY ?  because they work..
    Or they do for me..
    But maybe not for anyone else..

Now the question is how similar was that sound in my head in 1990 4 years into my playing compared to now..? 

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Don’t keep changing guitar during a gig.  The only good reasons to change guitar mid set are:
    a) alternate tuning
    This. 

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • FezFez Frets: 472
    Electro harmonix pedals are rubbish. 
    It's only a strat if it was made by Fender (or squier).

Don't touch that dial.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • maharg101maharg101 Frets: 568
    Syd Barrett's Floyd would have done a better version of Comfortably Numb.

Ernie Ball Super Slinky 9s are the best strings.

Offsets are just plain wrong.
    This one goes to eleven

Trading feedback here
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • LewyLewy Frets: 3795
    edited August 2023
    Peter Green wasn't all that.

The finest guitar solo of the 20th century was Louis Shelton's solo on "Hello" by Lionel Ritchie

You virtually never come across a good slide guitar player who can't also sing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Fez said:
    Electro harmonix pedals are rubbish. 
    I thought this was supposed to be controversial opinions. Everyone knows the"reliability" is legendary 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    Playing chords is only for talentless wankers
    As a bassist I support this message.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • willowillo Frets: 240
    It's worth working out if you are a guitarist or a collector. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GuyRGuyR Frets: 1261
    Other people are wankers if their guitar related choices are not the same as yours.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Lewy said:

You virtually never come across a good slide guitar player who can't also sing.
    Duane Allman
    Ritchie Blackmore

• rlwrlw Frets: 4314
    All Strats sound exactly the same.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    True bypass is the most regressive idea in the history of pedals, and the fashion for metal click-type switches along with it.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    1) If a song sounds wrong when played using a raging JCM800 it is the song that is wrong not the choice of gear.

2) Bands that build their live sound from the rhythm section first always sound better than those who try to build it around the novelty acts out front.

3) Power trios are the best type of band. Each instrument has more room, the arrangements have to be inventive, the dynamics vary much more, there’s far less hassle organising 3 people than larger bands, and the money is only a 3 way split.

4) People who tune to D-D (or any other equally transposed tuning) but still use the same chord names as when using E-E should be forced to run a recorder and use group for 5 year olds.

5) There should always be 2 types of rehearsals. One is the performance rehearsal. The other is a technical rehearsal where the focus is getting the gear working right. This is getting more important as more bands go ampless and instead have a modeller with 300 sodding channels. 

6) Lennon and McCartney were fabulous songwriters with terrible, awful, embarrassing voices. They should have hired a good singer or just written for other people. 
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Guitar is a terrible instrument for someone with neurodivergent and obsessive tendencies. Spent 30+ years learning that.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • The idea of spending anything more than a few hundred of pound for something as simple as a Telecaster is mad. It's four bolts away from just being a plank.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KevSKevS Frets: 309
    ICBM said:
    True bypass is the most regressive idea in the history of pedals, and the fashion for metal click-type switches along with it.
    I can get behind that..

rlw said:
    All Strats sound exactly the same.
    Fortunately not true,because you get some really thin cheese wire sounding strats..

Kateskogs said:
    Guitar techs aren't Guitar Luthiers.....I knew a so called Luthier who used alot of dubious methods to make an old Harmony acoustic playable. The guitar came back with terrible intonation, cracked heel and basically bodged together. He was only good for setting up guitars to a degree and yet he still calls himself a Luthier!? Never again!!!
    I would say I was mostly a peaceful chap..But the addition being out of pocket because of some loud mouthed A-hole knackered your guitar is not a nice feeling..Especially the ones who can't possibly be in the wrong..Some jobs are beyond me unfortunately..I can set up guitars,but I am very far from a Luthier or even a Tech..I set up for friends etc,but I don't charge...
    I was offered a job as a repairman and said no,,because I am not a Con Man..
    There are jobs I just can't do and don't want to learn on the job on people's prized possessions,I am not a bastard..

Also Techs who don't listen to what you want,,they know better,,even to the point of getting competitive..

I have had to pay for the same job twice from different sources so many times..
    Some of these people have been at it decades..
    You have to learn who you can trust the hard way it seems.
    One of Scotland's leading repairmen can't solder..

I am not able to re fret a guitar,but neither were some of the people who confidently,bordering on arrogantly told me they could,,charged going prices and above,,then fucked my guitars..

There are people out there that are great at the job..I feel so sorry for them because of the people fucking it up for them..