Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Controversial guitar opinions you have. - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Controversial guitar opinions you have.

What's Hot

Comments

• LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3301
    Helix sounds shite
    1reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    That bloke who did a bit of work on your guitar is not "your tech".

Hum-cancelling single-coil-sized pickups don't have to sound exactly like vintage Fender pickups to be any good.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 14reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8207
    tFB Trader
    A thin finish doesn’t let the wood “breath”. It’s dead. It’s been dead for a while. Stop talking shite. 

7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 14reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Relics are fake tans for guitars.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
    Controversial opinions are nearly always wrong. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Clapton ISN'T God.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6304
    Fez said:

It's only a strat if it was made by Fender (or squier).

Weirdly I'm not as fussed about this distinction as I am about the SSS configuration. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • The last (ever) guitar hero was Nuno.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    And he's becoming less and less of a hero every time he opens his mouth. 

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 8918
    Nitro guitars DO sound and feel better, especially relics.

Steve Vai, all heavy rock, rap, drug music, Tom Quayle are all boring and shit.

=)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    edited August 2023 tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    Lewy said:

You virtually never come across a good slide guitar player who can't also sing.
    Duane Allman
    Ritchie Blackmore
    Chris Rea - misread this first time round - can't v can - So yes Chris Rea can sing
  • Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 909
    1) Objective truths and scientific comparisons don’t matter in relation to guitar - I’ve yet to play or listen to one from an objective point of view, and to try is to miss the point. You could prove there’s no sound difference between a lovely Strat and a piece of scrap wood - I don’t want your scrap wood. 
    2) Looks matter - there’s a reason there’s so many guitar players vs any other instrument and it’s that it looks so cool. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited August 2023
    7) Youtube gear guitarists and their love of John Mayer and wet music will be the death of us all.
    8) Youtube channels are always so much better near the start when they can have opinions before they make enough to earn a living from them and have to be very sponsor-friendly and non stop pushing pushing pushing people to feed the machine.
    9) Re youtube guitarists - An SRV tone is not the same as a Hendrix Tone!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4501
    edited August 2023
    I'll play:

- Much as I love his playing, Ritchie Blackmore was wrong, the best pickup on an SSS guitar for sounding like "you" is the middle one.

- Good solo pianists make difficult keyboardists in guitar-oriented bands (a current concern, and not for the first time). Actually, this may not be too controversial... 

- Ola Strandberg has moved the science of guitar ergonomics in the right direction - despite the way they look. 

- One good note with a nice tone is all you need most of the time. Ask Dave Gilmour.

- Most guitarists are not very good musicians. They're not usually very good guitarists, either. But so what?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited August 2023
    10) Pink Floyd are incredibly overrated, pretentious and lyrically painful but have some nice chord progressions and a great lead guitarist playing over some of their tunes. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited August 2023
    11) The Barista-fication of the guitar industry is why we now have £10 worth of components being sold in an £12 enclosure in a layout that has been around for 60+ years for £1,000 and being told only if we have the Emperor's magic ears can we understand why it was totally worth the spend for these pedal artisans' glorious work.  

They ruined coffee and now they are trying to ruin guitars. 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3238
    edited August 2023
    P90s are the worst of both worlds.
    The best demos on YouTube if you want to hear how something really sounds are now from the amateur guys with an iPhone in their living room.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited August 2023
    12) Ariel Posen and Rhett Shull represent the two sides of all that is wrong with well, everything. 

I think they might have been behind 9/11. 

EDIT: Oh and the PRS Silver Sky.

The continual rounding off of the edges of what should be a spiky and raw music form until it is just a smooth, compressed easily-digested unchallenging mush selling you stuff.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • louis_LLMlouis_LLM Frets: 108
    soma1975 said:
    12) Ariel Posen and Rhett Shull represent the two sides of all that is wrong with well, everything. 

I fundamentally agree with this, but can't put my finger on exactly why!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • AndyGT75AndyGT75 Frets: 84
    Is it just me or did anyone else read this thread’s title in Yoda’s voice? ;)
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    edited August 2023

Chris Rea
    Chris Rea can sing though OK, the Middlesbrough accent probably doesn’t help .

Much as I love his playing, Ritchie Blackmore was wrong, the best pickup on an SSS guitar for sounding like "you" is the middle one.
    I think so too. The neck and the in-betweens tend to dominate the player’s tone too much. Bridge is better, but middle is best.

Blackmore would sound like himself with anything though, he’s a good example of ‘tone is in the hands’.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4080
    AndyGT75 said:
    Well, I am now.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    edited August 2023
    Strats have to be the right shape and SSS or they ain't Strats. 

Teles can be almost any config and they're still Teles, even the Jazzmaster-shaped ones - SS, SH, HH, thinline, custom, deluxe, etc etc

SGs and 335s are way better than Les Pauls

Locking trems are stupid. Strat style trems are also fairly stupid

Clapton in 2014 was honestly one of the least exciting gigs I've ever been to 

Jeff Beck was very clever and also incredibly boring to listen to

99.9% of instrumental guitar music is dreadful

Good pop music is better than 95% of rock 

Heavy strings are for masochists and idiots 

Drop tunings don't make your riffs sound heavier or more menacing, they just make you sound more like a 15 year old in his bedroom 

The only music that matters is the stuff that makes you want to sing, dance, punch the air, or cry. 

Heavy relics are stupid. Shiny new plastic-coated guitars are worse.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    PRS are awfully guady, the headstock looks wrong and there's nothing cool about them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 14reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    Larry Carlton - His touch, feel, phrasing is sublime - Probably one of the greatest guitar players there is - But that is when he is playing with other artists as a guest/session player, or when he is playing other artists songs - His own songs/albums are boring and bland with instantly forgettable 'melody/tune ' - Kind of elevator music - And I say this as a LC fan - If I was his record company I'd say, look there is a choice of over 100 Beatles song, or Burt Bacharach songs, or from the American Song book writers etc  - So now going and record an album, with 12 tracks from one of these writers and give it the Larry Carlton touch and feel - They know how to write a tune, you don't 

Opposite to that - Hank Marvin - One of the most influential guitar players ever - Many well known songs/tunes/melodies - A very competent player - But watching a Shadows show, is about as bland as it gets IMO
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 7616
    edited August 2023 tFB Trader
    Genuine PAFs all sound very different and as such there are dozens of 'REAL' PAF tones .... and not effing one of them sounds like a fricking Telecaster ... right?

Guitarists who play a power chord then raise an arm to the audience in triumph ... should be taken from the stage to a lawful place of punishment, there have the offending limb removed by the most painful means - probably being nibbled off by a toothless goat. (unless of course it's Nigel Tufnel - he gets a free pass).

Michael Schenker is one of the most ludicrously under rated guitarists in the last fifty years. 

The last thing you should worry about when playing a particular a guitar is what you look like playing it. If you are worrying about that -  then the chances are you playing isn't good enough to hold an audience's attention anyway. 

Most guitarists polish their guitars too much and practise too little. 

Sadly one can't learn to be talented. Many that come to realise that wind up as guitar teachers - teaching those who will never realise it. 

Bedroom players who can't be arsed to gig or even jam with mates have no room to criticise players who do. To play alone is to see the world devoid of colour. Don't be frightened - just do it! 

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
    Strats have to be the right shape and SSS or they ain't Strats. 

Teles can be almost any config and they're still Teles, even the Jazzmaster-shaped ones - SS, SH, HH, thinline, custom, deluxe, etc etc

SGs and 335s are way better than Les Pauls

Locking trems are stupid. Strat style trems are also fairly stupid

Clapton in 2014 was honestly one of the least exciting gigs I've ever been to 

Jeff Beck was very clever and also incredibly boring to listen to

99.9% of instrumental guitar music is dreadful

Good pop music is better than 95% of rock 

Heavy strings are for masochists and idiots 

Drop tunings don't make your riffs sound heavier or more menacing, they just make you sound more like a 15 year old in his bedroom 

The only music that matters is the stuff that makes you want to sing, dance, punch the air, or cry. 

Heavy relics are stupid. Shiny new plastic-coated guitars are worse.
    Right we’re all just here having a laugh and saying stupid shit to sound edgy but you shut your dirty fucking mouth about telecasters.  There’s a line man!   
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8207
    tFB Trader
    AndyGT75 said:
    But only because you mention it, hmmm? Yes
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • While not as hideous a crime as a Bigsby, one sure way to make a guitar look hideous is P90 pickups.

Relic is just a finish option, rather than a recreation of something, and is fine.

Eight and nine string guitars are ruining metal. Get out of the bass player's lane with your horrible farty mid-focused gash.

It's about time Gibson had a modern Les Paul product that ignored the cork-sniffing past and offered things like a belly carve, ergonomic neck joint, a volute, thinner body, locking tuners etc. 

The PRS neck joint is ugly, uncomfortable, and boring. An all access neck joint that swept into the body would be infinitely more attractive.

Valve amps are lovely and great fun, but no one really needs one anymore. And valve nostalgia is holding back the amp market. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 2811

Drop tunings don't make your riffs sound heavier or more menacing, they just make you sound more like a 15 year old in his bedroom.
    …which is where the term fret-wanking originated (for obvious reasons). It has of course developed to mean all mindless plinky plonk, widdly wee, wooo wooo, fiddle dee dum, guitar solos (thank you fireman Sam for that description). If anyone wants to hear these two extremes in their fullness, book into your local rehearsal rooms of an evening and then pop into the jam night on the way home.