Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Controversial guitar opinions you have. - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Controversial guitar opinions you have.

What's Hot

Comments

• Controversial guitar opinions you have.
     "The Force is strong with Yoda it is."
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2775
    TTBZ said:
    soma1975 said:
    Mountain bikes are the equivalent of quilted top PRSs. 
    You mean road bikes. Especially those rank seafoam green Bianchis and the like. 
    I'd put the list of wankiness as follows:

All E Bikes
    Gravel bikes with suspension
    Gravel bikes
    Hipster fixies
    Carbon road bikes
    Carbon full sus MTBs (high.pivot is wankier than 4 bar)
    Alu/steel road bikes
    Alu full sus MTBs
    Hardtail MTBs
    "It's all I can afford and I just ride it" bikes

Lolwis for this! I'm a mixture of alu FS but with "all I can afford" parts as I'm still on 26" til they die. I actually wouldn't mind a gravel bike though and ebikes are starting to turn my head (til I see the price) - so I guess I'm around a PRS SE level of bike wanker :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1071
    Messing with the relative pickup volume levels on a two humbucker guitar with both pickups on is pointless.

The sound with them both at the same volume is great. It's my favourite sound on a LP or 335 and I wish Gibsons had a master volume so you could easily turn this up and down. However I've never found all the amazing tones that apparently exist when slightly backing one volume off, according to the articles in old guitar magazines.

For me it doesn't take much control turning until the two pickup sound is 99.9% identical to the loudest pickup on its own.

Maybe I have crap ears? Or crap guitars? Probably both. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    Nerine said:
    Eric Steckel is shit. So incredibly bland and cliched. 
    I probably wouldn't have singled him out for criticism, but since you've mentioned him.... I tend to agree.  I saw an interview where he was calling his music "blues metal" as if it was something he'd invented, and I thought "Really....?:s

And... I don't think his Knaggs signature model is as nice as the regular Kenai.  Why bother changing it?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Basher said:
    Messing with the relative pickup volume levels on a two humbucker guitar with both pickups on is pointless.

The sound with them both at the same volume is great. It's my favourite sound on a LP or 335 and I wish Gibsons had a master volume so you could easily turn this up and down. However I've never found all the amazing tones that apparently exist when slightly backing one volume off, according to the articles in old guitar magazines.

For me it doesn't take much control turning until the two pickup sound is 99.9% identical to the loudest pickup on its own.

Maybe I have crap ears? Or crap guitars? Probably both. 

I tend to agree (not with the last line, that's for you to decide).  However...

I've never believed in the "both pickups on, that's where the magic happens" stuff, I'm not that subtle, but it does depend how well-matched the pickups are.  If you have a shared volume control and one pickup's way more powerful than the other, the both-together position is pretty useless.

And having separate volume controls does come into its own if the pickups are out of phase (which I realise is unusual, and generally unpopular).  In that situation, playing with the volumes lets you vary the amount of "out-of-phaseness", which I quite like.
  • Offset said:
    skunkwerx said:
    Guitar 'faces'. Sure, have some expression.. but not 'that' much.. looks creepy and rapey and fake as shit. 

Este Haim is renowned for her 'bass face'...

11 photos of HAIM bringing the bass face to Latitude 2014  Gigwise

I find her & her face pulling quite arousing 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Threads about the price of guitars and the antics of bedroom dealers are about as interesting these days as repeated cheap jokes about Ian Elson and so on... Yes we know and we agree, but it's getting boring now. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    We probably didn't need to know that.... but I can see where you're coming from.  Not literally.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3301
    Only sad sacks refer to a Les Paul as a 'Lester'
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I think in-between position sounds are all a bit shit. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • S56035S56035 Frets: 833
    Small independent builders should admit their Strats, Teles and LPs are a rip off of other people's work no matter how much better they may be.
  • KevSKevS Frets: 309
    Offset said:
    skunkwerx said:
    Guitar 'faces'. Sure, have some expression.. but not 'that' much.. looks creepy and rapey and fake as shit. 

11 photos of HAIM bringing the bass face to Latitude 2014  Gigwise

I thought that was Philomena Cunk at first..
  • After 55 pages of this thread, I've come a realisation: there a lot of things which boil other people's piss, which literally don't even occur to me to be annoyed about :lol:
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Based on my daily "what's new" visit to the Peach website.... I'm sure they're beautifully made and sound wonderful, but Mayones guitars are bloody ugly.  And their name gets on my wick, it sounds like Mayonnaise.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    edited September 2023
    Basher said:

This. It’s one of the reasons I have a PRS and not a Gibson.

Philly_Q said:

I've never believed in the "both pickups on, that's where the magic happens" stuff, I'm not that subtle, but it does depend how well-matched the pickups are.  If you have a shared volume control and one pickup's way more powerful than the other, the both-together position is pretty useless.
    I don’t find that at all - I always prefers much more powerful bridge pickup, and the both-together sound is still my favourite.

The trick is to choose the right pickups and adjust them correctly.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• ‘Tone is in the fingers/hands’. No it isn’t, that’s technique.

If you buy xxxx’s amp and pedals you won’t sound anything like them. Yeah you will. Well, you’ll sound a lot closer to e.g. Slash with a Les Paul and a Marshall than you will with a Strat and a Princeton. Might not be able to play like him, but you’ll sound a lot closer.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3252
    Bonkers prices on the classifieds aren't that bonkers if the guitar is still there after a year.
  • Lebarque said:
    I noticed that Mick Taylor did this on TPS and I thought ooh I bet there are some Fretboarders seething. 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Lebarque said:
    I noticed that Mick Taylor did this on TPS and I thought ooh I bet there are some Fretboarders seething. 
    If they were awake.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Lebarque said:
    What about people who call it a "Paul"?
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar

• LewyLewy Frets: 3795
    Lebarque said:
    While we're on the subject, what about British people who make a point of pronouncing it "Lesss Paul" as opposed to "Lez Paul"?
  • Lebarque said:
    Also wank.
    I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for Watson, SS2, Vintage S, T62, Vanguard.

Please drop me a message.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Bennyboy-UK said: 
    Lebarque said:
    Also wank.
    What about referring to it as a ‘Polsfuss’?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited September 2023
    Lebarque said:
    Also wank.
    What about "Lez" or "Less"...?  Ooops, sorry, I see the question has already been asked.
  • Bennyboy-UK said: 
    Lebarque said:
    Also wank.
    What about referring to it as a ‘Polsfuss’?
    I prefer to use the term "snappy neck, back breaking dad rock tool"
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    ICBM said:
    Philly_Q said:

I don’t find that at all - I always prefers much more powerful bridge pickup, and the both-together sound is still my favourite.

The trick is to choose the right pickups and adjust them correctly.
    I'm standing by my point about out of phase. ;)
  • DoctorXDoctorX Frets: 291
    Barefoot buttons make your pedalboard look shit regardless of how good the pedals they’re attached to might be.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Philly_Q said:

I'm standing by my point about out of phase. ;)
    I agree with you about that, it's the only real purpose for separate volume controls. I still find a simple phase switch equally useful though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Lewy said:
    Lebarque said:
    While we're on the subject, what about British people who make a point of pronouncing it "Lesss Paul" as opposed to "Lez Paul"?
    I have literally never heard anyone say “Less” Paul
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6304
    Wasn't there literally a Les Paul model called the Less Paul which was thinner?

My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.