Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Controversial guitar opinions you have. - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Controversial guitar opinions you have.

What's Hot

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    kin said:
    Sorry if i missed someone else making the same point , it's a long thread but.....cover bands consisting of bankers, financial advisors, upper middle management types etc playing Clash and Jam tunes or Stevie Wonders 'living for the city' through wood library PRs and two rocks.

What if it was a band of plasterers and car park attendants, playing similar covers through Squiers and some old Marshall Valvestate?  Would they be oozing rock'n'roll credibility, like the new Ramones or something?

They're all just people with day jobs doing something they enjoy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Ok, I'll play...

Acoustic guitars are pointless. If you must play one, has to be a 12 string and only for bit at the start before the real guitars come in. Oh, actually, no they have a point - to remind everyone why electric guitars were invented. 

Ed Sheeran is only 2 strings away from George Formby and his god awful ukelee and Ed's (let's face it creepy) melodies  will be looked back on with the same level of confusion

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Sorry (not sorry) if already been mentioned...

Once in a live band/recording mix, all reverbs ostensibly sound the same. Hall, Spring, whatever, all your different kinds of fancy, expensive pedal options - ultimately the only thing distinguishable is whether there is 'more' or 'less' reverb.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1499
     It seems incongruous and also embarrassingly wanky,  what do you you think? Or do your have to schedule a meeting with your MD in the morning before having a band meeting to decide which Cold play tune your going to start next weeks set with?

I'm feeling the burn...
    Wouldn't be Coldplay for sure. BB King far more likely - nice and slow for my elderly fingers. My shakey hands work well for the vibrato too. :-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    edited September 2023
    guyinlyon said:
    Tannin said:
    In fact Australia has welcomed vast numbers of non-white immigrants...

Guess you didn't bother to actually read the referenced piece on Australia's long-standing "whites only" immigration policy.

"From the 1850s colonial governments imposed restrictions on family members joining Chinese miners already in Australia. The colonial authorities levied a special tax on Chinese immigrants and from which other immigrants were exempted. Towards the end of the 19th century, labour unions pushed to stop Chinese immigrants working in the furniture and market garden industries."

"Soon after Australia became a federation in January 1901, the federal government of Edmund Barton passed the Immigration Restriction Act of 1901; this was drafted by Alfred Deakin, who would eventually become Australia's second Prime Minister. The passage of this bill marked the commencement of the White Australia Policy as Australian federal government policy. Subsequent acts further strengthened the policy up to the start of World War II. These policies effectively gave British migrants preference over all others through the first four decades of the 20th century. During World War II, Prime Minister John Curtin reinforced the policy, saying "This country shall remain forever the home of the descendants of those people who came here in peace in order to establish in the South Seas an outpost of the British race."

The only one clueless, or perhaps with his head in the sand, seems to be you.

^ Ignorant garbage. You have no clue. 

You are crapping on about events which happened before practically anyone in Australia (or in any other country) was even born

Not only was every  Australian alive today either not born or at most a small child when those prehistoric policies were enacted, the vast majority were not even in the country at all. They - or in most cases their parents or grandparents - still lived in Greece or Lebanon or India or China or Somalia or any of many, many other places at the time you are yammering on about.

A quarter of all Australians were born overseas (mostly in Asia, but all parts). Half of all Australians were either born  overseas or are the children of people born overseas. Three-quarters were born overseas, or are the children or grandchildren of parents born overseas.

As I said earlier, in fact Australia has welcomed vast numbers of non-white immigrants.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • It's easier to play Tennis with a Rickenbacker than it is to play a tune on one.
    And they said that in our time, all that's good will fall from grace, even Saints would turn their face, in our time.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Guitar 'faces'. Sure, have some expression.. but not 'that' much.. looks creepy and rapey and fake as shit. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TTBZ said:
    soma1975 said:
    Mountain bikes are the equivalent of quilted top PRSs. 
    You mean road bikes. Especially those rank seafoam green Bianchis and the like. 
    I'd put the list of wankiness as follows:

All E Bikes
    Gravel bikes with suspension
    Gravel bikes
    Hipster fixies
    Carbon road bikes
    Carbon full sus MTBs (high.pivot is wankier than 4 bar)
    Alu/steel road bikes
    Alu full sus MTBs
    Hardtail MTBs
    "It's all I can afford and I just ride it" bikes

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1521

Pearloid scratchplates are nasty

Guitars always sound best with the vols and tones on 10

Bigsbys, properly installed, in conjunction with a well-cut nut, seldom lead to tuning problems and are always great.

Sunburst should only be yellow, orange, red, brown, black. Never green. Never purple.

Active circuitry is for bass only

Pre-amp gain sounds nice

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • If you don’t pull weird faces, especially with your mouth, when using a wah wah pedal then you’re not doing it right (and it won’t sound as good)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • If you don’t pull weird faces, especially with your mouth, when using a wah wah pedal then you’re not doing it right (and it won’t sound as good)
    Same thing goes when doing dive bombs with your trem
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • LewyLewy Frets: 3795
    edited September 2023
    Just because someone has inspired lots of people to pick up the guitar, it doesn't mean a) they're not shit and b) it's good that a ready means of making music is now in the hands of all those people. 
  • Yoko Ono is a hero.
  • Lewy said:
    Just because someone has inspired lots of people to pick up the guitar, it doesn't mean a) they're not shit and b) it's good that a ready means of making music is now in the hands of all those people. 
    everybody has a song in them... and in most cases that is where it should stay....

[/paraphrase mode off]
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Yoko Ono is a hero.
    ... but not for 'breaking up the Beatles'. (She didn't.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Tannin said:
    guyinlyon said:
    Tannin said:
    In fact Australia has welcomed vast numbers of non-white immigrants...

Guess you didn't bother to actually read the referenced piece on Australia's long-standing "whites only" immigration policy.

"From the 1850s colonial governments imposed restrictions on family members joining Chinese miners already in Australia. The colonial authorities levied a special tax on Chinese immigrants and from which other immigrants were exempted. Towards the end of the 19th century, labour unions pushed to stop Chinese immigrants working in the furniture and market garden industries."

"Soon after Australia became a federation in January 1901, the federal government of Edmund Barton passed the Immigration Restriction Act of 1901; this was drafted by Alfred Deakin, who would eventually become Australia's second Prime Minister. The passage of this bill marked the commencement of the White Australia Policy as Australian federal government policy. Subsequent acts further strengthened the policy up to the start of World War II. These policies effectively gave British migrants preference over all others through the first four decades of the 20th century. During World War II, Prime Minister John Curtin reinforced the policy, saying "This country shall remain forever the home of the descendants of those people who came here in peace in order to establish in the South Seas an outpost of the British race."

The only one clueless, or perhaps with his head in the sand, seems to be you.

^ Ignorant garbage. You have no clue. 

You are crapping on about events which happened before practically anyone in Australia (or in any other country) was even born

Not only was every  Australian alive today either not born or at most a small child when those prehistoric policies were enacted, the vast majority were not even in the country at all. They - or in most cases their parents or grandparents - still lived in Greece or Lebanon or India or China or Somalia or any of many, many other places at the time you are yammering on about.

A quarter of all Australians were born overseas (mostly in Asia, but all parts). Half of all Australians were either born  overseas or are the children of people born overseas. Three-quarters were born overseas, or are the children or grandchildren of parents born overseas.

As I said earlier, in fact Australia has welcomed vast numbers of non-white immigrants.

I’ve always thought of Australia as a real multicultural place there seem to be such a diverse array of people , Mediterranean ,Arabic, south East Asian  I always wondered how they settled when they had those policies , it reminds me of all those other melting pot places in the world with a diverse range of occupants 
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2109
    TTBZ said:
    soma1975 said:

All E Bikes
    Gravel bikes
    Hipster fixies
    Carbon road bikes
    Alu/steel road bikes
    Alu full sus MTBs
    Hardtail MTBs

Lol so what’s left?  BMX, beach cruisers and tricycles?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Cranky said:

Choppers... the Les Paul of bicycles. Heavy, not a great ergonomic design or well-balanced, but absolutely iconic to the 1970s.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    skunkwerx said:
    Guitar 'faces'. Sure, have some expression.. but not 'that' much.. looks creepy and rapey and fake as shit. 

Haim.jpg 80.3K
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    ^^ I'd forgotten that scene from Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited September 2023
    skunkwerx said:
    Guitar 'faces'. Sure, have some expression.. but not 'that' much.. looks creepy and rapey and fake as shit. 
    There's this blues rock strat-botherer on Instagram, Italian I think, and it's literally like he's blowing his wad the whole time. You don't know where to look, it so awkward.....I won't post a link because I'm sure he's a nice chap and probably can't help it but it's queasy stuff.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    Offset said:
    skunkwerx said:

Este Haim is renowned for her 'bass face'...

11 photos of HAIM bringing the bass face to Latitude 2014  Gigwise

edited September 2023
    Offset said:
    skunkwerx said:

Este Haim is renowned for her 'bass face'...

11 photos of HAIM bringing the bass face to Latitude 2014  Gigwise

But she never seems to be doing anything sufficiently taxing to make someone gurn like that. She must do it when she stirs her tea as well….
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Cranky said:
    TTBZ said:
    soma1975 said:

All E Bikes
    Gravel bikes
    Hipster fixies
    Carbon road bikes
    Alu/steel road bikes
    Alu full sus MTBs
    Hardtail MTBs

You can still ride something in the list and embrace the wank. I'm Alu Full suss 4 bar so a bit wanky. Probably an Indonesian guitar with a naff veneer top.

I should have put unicycles in the list too

And @ICBM ; don't forget the Grifter for another heavyweight 70s classic but with serious neck dive
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30192
    Unpopular opinion

Mayer had his chance to play with his idol here and produced a solo that is simply magnolia paint at very best. Blew it completely.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6304

The Paul David 'listening face' in the corner of the screen of those guest solos videos he does is the worst thing on the internet since 2 girls 1 cup. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2109
    edited September 2023
    soma1975 said:

The Paul David 'listening face' in the corner of the screen of those guest solos videos he does is the worst thing on the internet since 2 girls 1 cup. 
    Yes!  It’s equivalent to Stanley Tucci’s face when he is somehow blown away by every bite of spaghetti he takes.  They can both fuck right off with that shite.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    ^ Lol/Wiz. Lol wins this time  ;)
    edited September 2023
    Cranky said:
    soma1975 said:

Yes!  It’s equivalent to Stanley Tucci’s face when he is somehow blown away by every bite of spaghetti he takes.  They can both fuck right off with that shite.
    You're beginning to sound positively British. 
  • NerineNerine Frets: 1659
    Eric Steckel is shit. So incredibly bland and cliched.