Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). INTELLIGENCE OFFICIALS SAY U.S. HAS RETRIEVED CRAFT OF NON-HUMAN ORIGIN - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

INTELLIGENCE OFFICIALS SAY U.S. HAS RETRIEVED CRAFT OF NON-HUMAN ORIGIN

What's Hot

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    VimFuego said:
    jeez, the idea that we're the only intelligent lifeform in the universe is a deeply worrying one!
    The idea that we qualify as an intelligent lifeform is either hilarious or terrifying. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 1988
    edited June 2023
    P
    ICBM said:
    It hasn't. This won't turn out to be anything. Aliens haven't visited earth, the distances are too vast.
    More importantly, there are no aliens.

The evolution of complex multicellular life occurred just once in three billion years on a planet perfectly suited to it. The odds against it are staggering, and we can assume we are alone in the universe to a very high degree of certainty.

Prof Brian Cox's recent lecture tour covered this. Looking at the age of the universe and how long it takes for complex life to develop  we may well be the only ones in the universe (not to be confused with The Only Ones, who sang Another Girl,Another Planet). The building blocks of basic organic life though are probably all over the place in the universe.

In the future more complex life will develop in the universe, but life on this planet will cease at some point.

And then there is the whole thing about the metaverse and blackholes and event horizons and time travel that made my head really hurt.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1082
    edited June 2023
    Emp_Fab said:
    As a species, we are not globally mature enough to be gifted alien contact yet.
    That may be the truest thing I've read today.  We'd so clearly be in galactic quarantine!

To quote a better man than I:

"Let's pray that there's intelligent life
    Somewhere on a planet.
    Cause there's bugger all 
    Down here on Earth"

Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    Is it an interplanetary, most extraordinary craft? 
    Be seeing you.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2493
    Will Smith, Drake, who on earth are you lot gonna choose next as mankind's champion, Ed bloody Sheeran?!

TBF, the aliens might just take flight in terror...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 4930
    edited June 2023

INTELLIGENCE OFFICIALS SAY U.S. HAS RETRIEVED CRAFT OF NON-HUMAN ORIGIN

Is it Donald Trump’s golf cart?…. B
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2493
    Oh yeah, and today's Handy Hint is:

"Pressing Shift + F3 changes the selected text to be uppercase or lowercase, or have a capital letter at the beginning of each word. If no text is selected, only the first word after the cursor is changed."

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7159
    Sporky said:
    Also the Drake equation is a trap.
    I'd still run cos it's not gonna hold that bear for very long. 
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 23224
    If you accept that faster than light travel is impossible, which according to all theories and laws of physics is the case, then unless the alien species have lifespans of several thousand years AND are willing to sacrifice most of their lifespan travelling in a spacecraft that hopefully will not break down in the thousands of years journey, to visit Earth, remain anonymous, then either die or start the return journey of several thousand years back home just to report that humans are a bunch of halfwits doing their best to destroy the only planet for a billion miles, then...  we haven't been visited by aliens.

Absolutely there are other civilisations out there, billions of them.  

But - the distances are so mind-bogglingly astronomically, humongous, there is no way any of us have, or ever will, meet up.

Humans are destructive parasites that will destroy the celestial oasis of Earth.  The sooner Homo Sapiens are extinct, the better.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 25239
    edited June 2023
    Emp_Fab said:
    If you accept that faster than light travel is impossible, which according to all theories and laws of physics is the case, then unless the alien species have lifespans of several thousand years AND are willing to sacrifice most of their lifespan travelling in a spacecraft that hopefully will not break down in the thousands of years journey, to visit Earth, remain anonymous, then either die or start the return journey of several thousand years back home just to report that humans are a bunch of halfwits doing their best to destroy the only planet for a billion miles, then...  we haven't been visited by aliens.

Absolutely there are other civilisations out there, billions of them.  

But - the distances are so mind-bogglingly astronomically, humongous, there is no way any of us have, or ever will, meet up.

I find it highly unlikely that a civilisation capable of travelling at those speeds would be able to develop the technology to do so with a lifespan shorter than ours, so it's actually likely that they would live longer than us (particularly with technological assistance).

There are over 250,000 stars within 1000 light years of us, so there's an actual possibility that there's intelligent life out there right now, and even that they might one day visit this planet. It's just that the odds of them doing so in the few thousand years that human civilisation will be in existence before snuffing itself out are pretty slim.
    <space for hire>
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3112
    Some annoting nutcase getting over excited… but a nice distraction
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3165
    edited June 2023
    I can’t remember the guys name but Eric Weinstein mentioned him recently regarding gravitational systems of travel. 
    They proposed being able to form or use gravitational waves they could move through vast distances instantaneously. They also said they could do so and be undetected. They stated you could fit an entire city inside a gravitational sphere no bigger than say a marble if you wanted to. No need to make it any bigger. 
    It’s a big if but they both stated moving at or above the speed of light is irrelevant IF you can control gravity. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    VimFuego said:
    jeez, the idea that we're the only intelligent lifeform in the universe is a deeply worrying one!
    “Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.” - Arthur C. Clarke

Very true, but I believe it’s the former.

Adey said:

The building blocks of basic organic life though are probably all over the place in the universe.
    I don’t doubt there is primitive life almost everywhere conditions are suitable for it - that’s the easy bit. But the step to what made us possible is so high it’s almost inconceivable. To the best of our knowledge it has happened just once, ever.

The discovery of one single life form unrelated to all the others on Earth would blow the whole thing wide open and make extra-terrestrial advanced life a near certainty, but it has never been found. Not one - all life on Earth has a single common ancestor. Until it is… we are alone.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8372
    Is it an interplanetary, most extraordinary craft? 

Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3819
    I think my neighbour might be an alien. 
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    Some annoting nutcase getting over excited… but a nice distraction
    That's a bit harsh.

OK, all caps headlines are annoying but still.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • kaypeejaykaypeejay Frets: 751
    But…but….God made the earth and everything on it, surely he could have made another one somewhere else?
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    Somebody call Will Smith!
    To slap some sense into him?
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5078
    edited June 2023
    Not to mention the improbable series of events that led to humans - not only did multicellular life forms need to happen in the first place, you then need an asteroid to strike the planet with such force that it wipes out the dominant life forms to make room for the ones that will only then evolve into the ones that will invent aeroplanes and spaceships and iPhones and Burger King. 

Personally I think the Fermi Paradox is super relevant and interesting and my personal belief is not that we are alone, but that we are alone as advanced intelligent life, and within the scope of Fermi in the sense that other life probably exists but it is neither spacefaring (or even “intelligent”) nor existing in parallel to us due to the crazy timescales. 
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    But in a universe of 200 Billion Galaxies, each with 100million star systems and over 37 billion years the chances of other life happening is likely quite high. Now there may well be a planet 150 light years away, at the same level of technology as us, but given the distances they would not even have recived our earliest radio signals yet.

Well one of our dogs is most definitely in touch with them.  She keeps staring at the sky and howling in a meaningful way.

Howling.jpg 481.4K
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 4987
    @Offset She only does that when you're playing guitar, right?
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    Fake image. Dogs can't look up. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17130
    edited June 2023
    FFS get a grip, you lot.

Three pages in, and still no-one has mentioned the other-worldly Sambostar, Fretboard’s very own Prot?

Snags said:
    @Offset She only does that when you're playing guitar, right?
    Damn your eyes @Snags !

Joking aside... yes, they both do (seriously) which is why I bought a practice amp with a headphone socket.  Stops the missus and daughter from howling too.

'My rendition of 'Bark At The Moon' seems to get them going for some reason.  Closely followed by 'Werewolves Of London'.

Bastards.
    Sporky said:
    This mutt can do anything.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6284
    Sporky said:
    They sure have bendy necks ! ;)

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 5625
    kaypeejay said:
    But…but….God made the earth and everything on it, surely he could have made another one somewhere else?
    We were his science project in Year 6.

He got a B- and we've been in the back of a cupboard ever since, while he got to work on Adam+Eve 2.0 (working notes: "make them all one colour ... maybe leave out those icky genitals ... don't give them rock-n-roll)
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 5849
    Distances are not a problem if you can fold space. If there is intelligence out there that's millions of years older than ourselves, then who's to say what is possible or not. 
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"  Arthur C. Clark
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    Have we had this yet?

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 5625
    (sigh)