Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The F1 thread - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    Crikey - and we thought the Damian Lewis anthem was a bit much! That looked mimed to anyone else?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1513
    We have the Americans to blame for this national anthem nonsense. Hmmm nice outfit!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4697
    Why haven't they chucked DRS out yet?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    FFS.

Guess who put Piastri in their Fantasy team this week, and dropped Alonso?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Absolute shocker for McLaren so far. Be interesting to see what happens if/when Max gets up to the back of Perez! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • PennPenn Frets: 351
    Please rain and please can the Red Bull cars break?!?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    Crikey - and we thought the Damian Lewis anthem was a bit much! That looked mimed to anyone else?

IMG_6500.jpeg 125.9K
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Enjoyed my afternoon nap. If anything happened could one of you let me know?
    Absolutely commanding from Max as expected. And great save from him in the wet between eau rouge & radilion. 

At this point I just want to see how long his streak can last. I don’t have to like it but I can’t not be impressed 
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2803
    edited July 2023
    There was a lot of action in the mid field.  Not sure what happened to Danni Ric but he clearly didn't get the best out of that car this race and was soundly beaten by his teammate.

• steersteer Frets: 1043
    If Spa in the rain can produce such a dull race, then I don't hold up any hope for the rest of this season.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4445
    Absolutely commanding from Max as expected. And great save from him in the wet between eau rouge & radilion. 

At this point I just want to see how long his streak can last. I don’t have to like it but I can’t not be impressed 
    Agreed, you can’t blame the guy for being great.
    He’s in the best car but left behind the last 3? teammates and every move he does seems to be absolutely perfect.  I suppose he’s so far ahead now there is no real pressure on him which makes it easier, but it’s not his fault the competition is not close.

At this point I’d love to see RB appoint a competitive 2nd driver to give him a real run for his money, but who would that be and would RB even allow anybody to get too close to him?

It’s frustrating, but like you say, he is absolutely commanding,  hard not to be impressed.

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 11742
    Another borefest at the front. Comes to something when Max bickering with Horner on the radio is the most interesting bit. Thank god for the action further back. Shame to see Piastri going out though. Nice to see the Williams improving, now they “just” need to sort out some more grip in the corners to go with the straight line speed. 
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4327
    edited July 2023

He’s in the best car but left behind the last 3? teammates and every move he does seems to be absolutely perfect.  I suppose he’s so far ahead now there is no real pressure on him which makes it easier, but it’s not his fault the competition is not close.

At this point I’d love to see RB appoint a competitive 2nd driver to give him a real run for his money, but who would that be and would RB even allow anybody to get too close to him?

It’s frustrating, but like you say, he is absolutely commanding,  hard not to be impressed.

Norris, Le Clerc, Alonso or Lewis on the current grid, Piastri seems quick but being a newbie is not a good place to be at RB it seems. Plus the culture there has been since Vettel/Webber to only really have one A grade driver. It is impressive, shame Max is a knob, but then so were Senna, Prost and Schumacher at times, seems like Max is a cock constantly though whereas the others had some redeeming qualities at least. 

I've been impressed with Max since his debut season though, his save in the wet in Brazil on the start finish straight was super impressive. 

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1252
    And if any of those drivers can bring a sponsorship fund as substantial as that of Perez, they will be considered.  If RBR still win everything then it will suit them to keep Perez and the money he brings.

It's not about ability.  And it's definitely not about putting on a show.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17130
    I thought the race was OK, but not the best I’ve seen. As expected, more action going on further down the field, and Max on a different level, including his team mate in ostensibly the same machinery. I don’t recall that level of performance from anyone else in the past, and it’s astonishing. Love to see him and Hamster in the same team, though.

DR failed to impress, and I still have my doubts about whether he has what it takes to beat Tsunoda this year. If I were a betting man, I’d say he hasn’t. And WTF was going on with the Mac’s? After a stunning show last time out, they were dreadful. I hope they get their act together next time out, they shouldn’t be fighting with the likes of Albon.

At least when Mercedes were winning everything Rosberg and Hamilton were competing against each other. Bottas was at least a decent driver who picked up wins and is 10th on the most podiums list.  

I don’t think that’s ever been the case with RB. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 11742
    edited July 2023
    Boromedic said:

Norris, Le Clerc, Alonso or Lewis on the current grid, Piastri seems quick but being a newbie is not a good place to be at RB it seems. Plus the culture there has been since Vettel/Webber to only really have one A grade driver. It is impressive, shame Max is a knob, but then so were Senna, Prost and Schumacher at times, seems like Max is a cock constantly though whereas the others had some redeeming qualities at least. 

I've been impressed with Max since his debut season though, his save in the wet in Brazil on the start finish straight was super impressive. 
    I find it hard to admire Max as well, even though he’s undoubtedly one of the all time great drivers. He is indeed a nob, but then I suppose having a father who’s such an aggressive, domineering dick can do that… as a kid with a parent like that you’d either end up completely crushed, a bit of a psycho or an arrogant cock yourself. Even then, Max takes arrogance to the next level. I take a small amount of comfort that he may be a brilliant driver but he still can’t grow a decent beard. (Nelson Muntz: Hah ha!!!). 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SRichSRich Frets: 751
    Plastic Bertrand obviously unavailable

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 6976
    Sprint race was fun.

Other than that the most interesting part of the weekend was meeting Bernard and his green flag. 
    "Congratulations on being officially the most right anyone has ever been about anything, ever." -- Noisepolluter knows the score
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4445

On the back of Spa last week was looking this classic from ‘98.

https://youtu.be/R22nxVYLaBQ

They didn’t give up in those days, last man standing.  Love it when Brundle says they will have to red flag it as about 10 wrecked cars slide down the track.  No shit Martin!
  • So it looks like Felipe Massa is pressing ahead with his case. Big sigh... he was definitely unlucky, but this just feels icky. And if he's successful it's going to open a *massive* can of worms with other drivers feeling that they have claims :(

Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar

edited August 2023
    Well the even more obvious one is Lewis in 2021, if Massa wins, that's a slam dunk. However, Lewis also has a claim to Belgium in 2008 among others. It'll be a nightmare, but I still think 2021 is a biggie.

I've always kinda thought Lewis deserved 2007 and Massa 2008. And obviously Lewis 2021. But changing changing things post-hoc is daft. I assume Felipe will get some cash out of it but no more
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2803
    He must feel very bitter to have carried this for so long.  I hope that he gains some money from it but I do feel his action should be against Renault and not the FIA.

Also, I suspect they will argue that he could have chosen not to pit.  I've copied this para from the article posted above which to me points a big finger of responsibility for Massa's loss of points in that race at him and Ferarri themselves.

Massa was leading the race at that point, and when the Safety Car came out, it prompted a flurry of pit stops, and with it Massa’s chances of points disappeared when a botched stop saw him drive away with his fuel hose still attached to his Ferrari.

• DodgeDodge Frets: 1296
    Boromedic said:
    Well the even more obvious one is Lewis in 2021, if Massa wins, that's a slam dunk.

I was under the impression that one of the reasons Mercedes withdrew their appeal in 21 because even if they were successful the FIA would have to void the race result but Verstappen would still be WDC as prior to the race they were level on points but Verstappen having more wins, thus still winning the WDC.

Voiding Singapore 08 would mean Massa winning the WDC.

• steersteer Frets: 1043
    Is Massa going to sue his Ferrari Pit crew as well, for when he was released with the fuel hose still attached in Singapore that year?

Its just a bit pathetic really. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited August 2023
    Dodge said:
    Boromedic said:
    Well the even more obvious one is Lewis in 2021, if Massa wins, that's a slam dunk.

I was under the impression that one of the reasons Mercedes withdrew their appeal in 21 because even if they were successful the FIA would have to void the race result but Verstappen would still be WDC as prior to the race they were level on points but Verstappen having more wins, thus still winning the WDC.

Voiding Singapore 08 would mean Massa winning the WDC.

Don't know that about 21, but in reality the stewards basically fixed the outcome so the race doesn't have to be voided, they could just apply the rules to it properly and finish the race as it was behind the safety car. Unlike Singapore which was hidden and underhand, seeing the FIA effectively decide who gets the title in 2021 is a different scenario.

Secondly, Lewis could appeal the 25 second penalty he received at Spa in 08 which was unfairly applied, so in reality a void race at Singapore wouldn't affect him, where does it end? Why should Lewis or any other driver be penalised because one team tried to cheat and Bernie is a racist asshole.

• ColsCols Frets: 6405
    It’s a fundamentally flawed argument.  Teams and drivers, alas, break rules all the time.  And when they’re caught doing it, they get punished (or at least they should be).

So Renault rigged things to ensure an Alonso win (and I don’t believe for a second that Fernando was unaware - his strategy made zero sense without a safety car right at that point, and he’s not the kind of driver to unquestioningly go along with a seemingly dumb strategy).  It was, indeed remarked on at the time… but no-one could prove anything,

But let’s imagine they did, and the team were caught red-handed.  What do you imagine would have happened?  Simple - Alonso would have been stripped of his win and everyone else would have been shuffled up - Rosberg would have taken victory for Williams, Hamilton would have been promoted to 2nd, and the unfortunate Massa would go from 13th to 12th.

Never have I heard of the results of an entire Grand Prix being stricken from the record because one team cheated.  In fact, I’ve never heard a Grand Prix’s results being cancelled for any reason.  The only race of which I can think which really ought not to be classified is the 2021 Belgian Grand Prix; 2 laps tooling around behind a safety car is not a race in anyone’s books, regardless of how useful it was in ensuring that the money ended up in the right pockets; no refunds for the spectators, the circuit has to pay its race hosting fee, and the TV money still flows.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Belgium 21 indeed should have been cancelled.......... Meant to mention that one above!