Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Introduce Yourself - New Members Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Introduce Yourself

What's Hot
1727374757678»

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
    @cprice2437; @WafflesOnHorseback @Rog @GibboDen @Faye welcome to the board. Just pitch in it’s a very friendly and helpful place (apart from maybe politics section!) although can be bad for your free time and bank balance.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RogRog Frets: 6
    Good morning Munckee and everyone else.  Thanks for the welcome.  I'm really enjoying the site.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Hi everyone
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Hi everyone  =)!
    I’m Lyl Loup. I’m 13 years old. I’m from France. I play acoustic guitar, electric guitar and piano. My first original song I wrote and produced myself is Symphony of Life.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=122Eto6c7I0
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • HamHam Frets: 8
    Q1:  Where did you username come from?
    It's my name (or the shortened version of it) IRL

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you?
    East London

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition?
    After 50 years (!) to take the opportunity of retiring to learn to play properly

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one?
    My Eko, been with me all this time

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one?
    Just One? The one single track I could always listen to? Jeez. OK, has to be 4'33" ;)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Q1:  It's based on an old computer game character where the class and race combination was sort of Esoteric, but that name was already taken... used it ever since as it tends to be available due to the weird spelling.

Q2:  Gosport, Hampshire

Q3:  To be able to play a few of my favourite songs and not just the easy scaled down versions!

Q4:  Gibson Les Paul Tribute

Q5:  Too many to choose from, but one of them is "Queen of all time(red giant)" by Egypt.

• FayeFaye Frets: 77
    munckee said:
    @cprice2437; @WafflesOnHorseback @Rog @GibboDen @Faye welcome to the board. Just pitch in it’s a very friendly and helpful place (apart from maybe politics section!) although can be bad for your free time and bank balance.  
    Thanks! Can you tell me how to see notifications from quoted posts? I've had a notification for yours, but not any others, which makes it difficult to keep up with conversations. Ta!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8108
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    Sorry if I'm being thick - does that only work on desktop? I'm not seeing those options from my phone. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Got it now, thanks. 
  • Q1:  Where did you username come from?
    Honestly don't remember - I picked it decades ago and stuck with it. You may have seen me on other guitar based forums in the past

London

No strictly defined "ambitions" - I'm never going to make a living from music so it's all for fun. At the moment I'm getting deep with atonalism and chromaticism.

My Lehle volume pedal is a core part of my sound

Too difficult to pick the best ever - as far as standards go: I always come back to "Beatrice" by Sam Rivers

• HT986M2HT986M2 Frets: 25
    Hi all,

Long-time lurker, but new member.  Signed up since a classified caught my eye.

Q1:  Where did you username come from? 

Niche Warhammer 40k reference

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you? 

Glasgow, Scotland

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition? 

No grand ambitions, just happy playing for fun.

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear?  

Two original MIJ ESPs that are getting harder to find.  One is a 2004 Horizon and the other is a 2011 limited run Eclipse.  The Horizon model is near-mint which is even rarer, and the Eclipse has some features not found on many Eclipse models outwith the custom shop (proper ESP logo on headstock, no fret markers)

Q5:  Your #1 ever track?  

There's probably a group of 5 all time favourites, but if I had to choose, maybe Don't Cry (UYI 1 version) by GNR or Fat Bottom Girls by Queen :3
  • tadpoletadpole Frets: 6

• Tadpole, as in still not quite a frog yet. I am still learning.

• Portsmouth, England.

• Making music and songs that I can be proud of.

• My beat up Mex strat.

• One? Thats tough... today its "Pink Thing" XTC.

• Q1:  Where did you username come from? Bradley became Brad and since living in Cornwall, Bradders.

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you? Bude, North Cornwall.

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition? Write, record and produce music around acoustic instruments, the guitar being the heart. Fingerstyle work, folk influenced with an ambient feel similar to Will McNicol and folks like that. Create an album, share it and see what happens, hopefully work with other artists. Would love to work with a celtic folk singer song writer like Heidi Talbot and African artists like Lady Smith Black Mambazo.

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one? Brook Torridge at the moment.

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one? Hans Zimmer - Now we are free

• danfdanf Frets: 2

• Boring I'm afraid, just my first name and initial of my surname (I usually sign up with my username as bonzo, as I'm more a drummer than a guitarist.

• Currently Telford, England - although I'm soon to go traveling Asia, and don't know where I'll settle when I return!

• Life got in the way, and music kind of dropped out of my periphery for some time. So, it may not seem like a big dream, but the main ambition is to just get back learning and having fun with music again.

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear?

• Not a guitar I'm afraid - Probably my Mapex Orion Drum kit.

Q5:  Your #1 ever track?

• I never know how to answer this, as it changes daily and dependent on mood. For today, probably The Ocean - Led Zeppelin).

• Hi all,

I’m mankytom, as in Tom from Manchester (not dirty Tom) - I got this at uni when someone in the accommodation office thought it would be amusing to put eight lads called Tom on the same corridor (ginge,blonde,big,mad,erm,princess)

my best bit of gear is my cs strat, which I think used to belong to someone else on here. Faded fiesta red 60 heavy relic with klein epic 59 pus 

my musical ambitions are long behind me, but just having time to play a few times a week will do me

and my favourite song.. is probably November Rain, gotta love Slash leaving the wedding for an emergency guitar solo on a cliff..
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Username is just my name. I am from south west Scotland.
    I got directed here trying to find out information on a guitar I am about to refurb for someone.

As a hobby I started fixing up beginner guitars as cheapily as I can to sell onto new beginners just wanting to see if they like it. This is not for profit.
    If they have a guitar I will fix it for the cost of new parts or clean and set them up foc.

Best bit of gear,hmm my toolbox.
    Favourite song depends on how I feel that day.
  • Hey folks, I'm Shawn. I'm 38 & started learning acoustic guitar one month & two days ago.

I've been documenting my progress on my YouTube channel (linked in my signature) from day one & will continue to do so going forward - think it'll be super interesting for me (& any future kids perhaps) to look back at many years from now. I think it could also be helpful content for other beginners or those who are considering learning guitar... as well as your more advanced folk who just happen to have a curious mind. A way to see someone else go through similar first-stage struggles... finger pain... fumbling between chords.. screwing up strumming patterns... generally looking awkward & unnatural at everything... & watching the progress & seeing how various sticking points are overcome (or not) etc.... switching from E to D is my current gripe!

Most people understandably hide away from the camera until they reach a decent enough level so maybe I'm mad for putting all of this out there in the public domain  =)

Anyway, onto the questions...

My first name (Shawn) and first initial of my surname (Eastman) - sorry, not overly creative!

I'm in Cardiff, South Wales

I'd love to be able to know a variety of chords well enough that I can improvise to a decent level on the spot.... if I reach that perhaps my ambition will naturally relocate itself further along.

As a beginner I don't have a lot... so would have to be the one guitar I do have! A classic all wood Eastman E1OM.. the fact my surname is Eastman is a coincidence. With that said, I have just ordered a beautiful gold Capo but that won't arrive till the weekend.

I'm going to have to come back & edit this one....

Follow the journey of a beginner: https://www.youtube.com/@NewLifeWithGuitar
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RunDMBRunDMB Frets: 1
    edited September 2023

Hi - I’m David - very happy to have been informed about this community from a fellow member! On to the questions:

Someone at work - has a nice ring to it!

Sale near Manchester 

Just to keep getting better and enjoying the guitar (and one day be able to rip out the Beat It solo…)

Fender Custom Shop HSS Strat

Livin On A Prayer, Bon Jovi 

• YorkieYorkie Frets: 934
    edited September 2023
    Great to see so many people join the forum. Welcome everyone!

Jon
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

• Hi, been a casual onlooker for many, many years. Not working due to health reasons, and bored to tears! So, Hello everyone! 

My first name starts with H.

Herts.

I have given up any ambition I had.

1976 Gibson Explorer.

Somewhere in Hollywood. 10cc

• Paul here from South Wales. Married with three cats, one normal one and two ginger idiots.

Q1:  Where did you username come from? Just my name and birthday (hint hint)

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you? Maesteg in South Wales

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition? To learn to play my new electric mandolin from Nava  Guitars which came yesterday.

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one? My new electric mandolin.

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one? Metal Gods - Priest.

• Alex / AJ from Surrey - I signed up to the 'board yonks ago but only recently started using it a bit more. It seems like a nice place!

Q1:  Where did you username come from? 

Main instrument + initials

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you? 

Guildford, Surrey

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition? 

Write a US no. 1 record

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear?  

Hmm. Tricky. My Suhr Custom Modern, my Juno 106 or my Carr Slant 6V

Q5:  Your #1 ever track?  

How am I supposed to choose one?! Dunno. Graceland by Paul Simon? 
  • Greetings, good people. Here's my answers:

Q1:  Where did your username come from?

It's a made up nonsense that I use anywhere there's music. I have no idea why.

In Milton Keynes. I have no idea why.

Use the years remaining before I go completely deaf to re-visit what I've learned about music and strive to improve.

You may look askance - but my Steinway 'O' grand piano. Yeah, my GAS is worse than yours! You just got to deal with amps and guitars and stuff. I got to pay someone just to tune the thing. (I like guitars and amps and stuff too).

I can't answer that; music is too broad and deep and wonderful to pick on one track that is better than everything else. But if we're just playing, Let's Go Out Tonight by The Blue Nile

• BobHillmanBobHillman Frets: 2
    edited October 2023

Q1:  I can’t remember – I have been using it on various forums for years, but my real name is Tony.

Q2:  In England – deepest Somerset (so deep that I’m actually very close to the border with Devon).

Q3:  To play for my own, and possibly other people’s enjoyment. I have played in bands in the past, but ATM I have problems with a trapped nerve in my elbow which makes holding a pick a problem – I am investigating finger picking as an alternative.

Q4:  Hmmm…Probably my ProCo Rat pedal, which I bought in the Soho Soundhouse in London, in 1981, for forty quid.

Q5:  So many to choose from, do you mind if I listen to them all first?

I think I have to go with “Parisienne Walkways" by Gary Moore - specifically, the version he played at the Marquee on August bank holiday Monday in 1982.

I was there, and it was absolutely amazing!

• Hello folks, I just joined and thought I would introduce myself.
    My name is Lou. For as old as I am, I should be a good guitar player, but in reality I'm not even close.  I'm in the U.S. but joined this board after seeing how active it is. Sadly there are a lot of guitar / music forums that just lay stagnant.
    And now, here are the answers to the introductory questions I know you're all eager to hear:

Q1:  Where did you username come from? Nothing to do with Ozzy Osbourne, just a shorted bit of my last name given to me many years ago.

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you? A suburb of Dallas, Texas. U.S.A.

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition? To be able to play the guitar and not embarrass myself doing it

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - My BMG Special (autographed!)

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - The March of the Black Queen

• Is there a thread where members discuss their guitar/FX/ amplifier collections?
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1082
    Welcome everyone, have a "wiz"!

@BobHillman - There is a Guitar and a separate Amp section - these would probably be the best fit.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • Evening folks! 

Joined the forum as I'm already on a few, but most of the one's I'm already on are almost entirely US based, so wanted to get involved somewhere with more UK members.

Q1:  My username is just the same one as my YouTube channel (very imaginative)

Q2:  I'm based in Scotland, central belt.

Q3:  Originally it was to get into a touring band and play stages, but right now it's just to kick the carpal tunnel syndrome in my fretting hand and be able to play for longer than 30 minutes, perhaps start another band.

Q4:  Probably my Friedman BE 100 Deluxe (for me just the best amp ever). 

Q5: Impossible to truly answer of course, but for now it's probably Home - Resonance ()