Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Introduce Yourself - New Members Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Introduce Yourself

What's Hot

Comments

• SonnyJimSonnyJim Frets: 10

Q1:  Where did you username come from?

It's my nickname 

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you?

I'm in Hove, UK on the south coast.

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition?

To start a Tom Waits tribute band.

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one?

A piano

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one?

John Wayne by John Martyn

Nice to be here and I look forward to meeting/buying/selling/trading and educating myself on all matters guitar.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • MellishMellish Frets: 945
    edited March 2023
    @SonnyJim ; Welcome to tFB.

Stick around and share your guitar knowledge. 
    And if you need help, contact Admins & Mods in New Members or post in Help & Feedback to get members' help.

Enjoy  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SonnyJimSonnyJim Frets: 10
    Thank you, Mellish :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • tinytunetinytune Frets: 3
    Hi All. Good to be here - I only heard about tF last week - I've played guitars for >50 yrs - better late than never to join up. :0).
    I play classical (I have an Yulong Guo) and steel stringed instruments - a Takamine and a Jeff Traugott luthier built guitar which makes more notes and harmonies than any other guitar I played!!

I also have Eo folding guitars which are great for travel and keep the fingers moving when the opportunity occurs on trips..

Currently I am using Jam Origin Midi Guitar and Ableton to transcode from the guitar  into MIDI notation for writing music into Sibelius. Unfort. Jam Origin doesn't interface directly with Sibelius.

Anyone out there use Jam Origin MG? I'd be interested on set ups for best (spurious free) translation into MIDI. I have found that using a nylon string guitar with slightly damped strings and undersaddle piezo works best - but only by playing slowly to avoid squidged notes that cause the Jam Origin software to create spurious notes..

Any thoughts?

Cheers, TinyTune
  • Hello All,

A fellow musician recently told me this would be a good place to try and sell a guitar I have - so apart from having already put that add up, it's nice now actually be aware this page exists. 

My name is Michael, I am based in Glasgow and play primarily bluegrass and old time guitar. I am in a bluegrass band called The Fountaineers (mostly a homage to our favourite bluegrass cannon) and another recently formed band called CMQ (Callum Morton Quartet), which is almost all original tunes by my very talented mandolin player friend/ Fountaineers bandmate.

As a bluegrass player I obviously have a preference for dreadnoughts but I hope to acquire a few other models for the styles I enjoy playing over the years. My main axe is an Atkin D37 (essentially a D28 style dreadnought)

I've been enjoying a Martin D18 1935 sunburst (made in 2014...) I got about 3 months ago, but am looking to sell it to fund a Golden Era model I found near me recently (so please buy my guitar before the Golden Era gets snapped up!)

Speak soon,
    Michael
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited March 2023
    @Michael_2287 ; Welcone to tFB. 

Admins & Mods are listed in "New Members". 
    You seem to know how to start a new thread, so good luck selling your guitar and enjoy the forum. 

• za9ra10za9ra10 Frets: 1

It's one from an old IT account I used to use. Boring I know but I like to remain fairly obscure.

Boring and obscure Warrington

I have a few ideas in my head that I'd like to get out and to do that I will need help from some decent musicians.

A Rory Gallagher Custom Fender Strat but I'll never be able to afford one

voodoo chile jimi hendrix

Looking forward to discussing guitar related matters.

Thanks

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    @za9ra10 ; Hi and welcome to tFB.

If you get stuck, Admins & Mods are listed in New Members.

Enjoy! :) 
  • dukiboydukiboy Frets: 0

I grew up in a small industrial cotton town on the very edge of manchester in the 50's/60's called Dukinfield (locally known as Duki) - hence Dukiboy

Duki - now Greater Manchester

To be a "guitarist", and be able to play tunes in a way that gives me, and anyone brave enough to listen some joy.

At the moment it's a Collings 290 (2 P 90's) - great tone and playability, in an understated package.

George Van Eps - If I could write a Book

It's not the most adventurous, and may be boring to a lot but I love the smooth way he glides through this piece, and mentally that's the tone and fluidity of playing I aspire to but know I'll never reach now (I'm 75) - but in my very modest way I so love trying to.

@dukiboy ; Hi and welcome to tFB.

To start a thread, click the icon furthest right on the coloured bar at the top where you'll find Home, your username and a bunch of other stuff. 

Admins & Mods are in New Members should you get stuck.

:) 
  • Juan_CognitoJuan_Cognito Frets: 15
    edited April 2023
    @Juan_Cognito ; you'll, be aware of what's where if you've been here awhile so just Hi!

• guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1397
    Hello everyone.

It all started for me in 1965 when me and 3 others formed a band, I left in about 70/71 due to moving away from where I'd lived and it was just just too far to travel back, I have a few stories and a few moments of fame which will come to light later I'm sure.  
    I then found motorbikes, beer and girls and an era of as they say of sex and drugs and rock and roll followed. I worked down the pit till I got my leg crushed in 1980, unfortunately I spent 7 months in hospital, split up with my wife and a couple of years learning to walk again. I could ride a motorbike so I went dispatch riding in London and earnt silly money enough to buy 2 Free House pubs. I then got seriously ill in the late 90s finished with my partner and met my now wife.
    I'd worked 2 years for Securicor but packed it all in and in 2000 emigrated  to Spain and lived there for 16 years - and wouldn't change a moment. Then sadly both our mums died so we moved back to Kent where we lived now. 
    As I have left most of my life story out because I expect you have got bored by now LOL  I have been working all the time and never had time for a band again. But I have been to see plenty of bands and go to local pub gigs and would like to catch up with guitars now I'm retired.
    Question 1..   I have two cats named Sidney and Sooty.
    Question 2..   Kent.
    Question 3..   To Play a guitar again.
    Question 4..   The guitar I just purchased name unknown,  More of that later.
    Question 5..   Whiter Shade of Pale..  

I'd like to hear some of these stories. I havent seen you post much so far.
    @SidandSooty62 ; what @guitarjack66 said.

Don't worry about "boring" us, you won't do that. Get it down in print. 

• StevenMKStevenMK Frets: 8
    Hi all - 

Been lurking on here for a while, but thought I would introduce myself - my name is Steven, been playing guitar for 20+ years, just moved to the UK a few years ago. Mostly into rock and blues, but also play a little bit of country and other things. Currently trying to get back into playing live!
    @StevenMK ; Welcome to tFB

• Chris77Chris77 Frets: 3
    1. More lack of imagination...
    2.Maidstone
    3. To still be plugging into an amp in the nursing home
    4. Epi 50s GT
    5. Too many but if i could only have one Whole Lotta Love, live.
    @Chris77 ; Hi and welcome to tFB. 

To start a thread click the icon furthest right on the coloured bar at the top where you'll find Home, your username and a bunch of other stuff. 
    If you need to contact Admins & Mods, you'll find them listed in New Members.

Enjoy reading posts and hope to see you adding yours. 

• bobaccobobacco Frets: 164
    Hey all,

Registered a little while back, but been completely dormant. Honestly, jumped on here for the classifieds but seems like a really cool community - will stick around if you’ll take me haha. 

First off, the questions / initiation:

Q1:  Where did you username come from? My name’s Rob, and I think I had a tobacco burst - so it’s just a lame play on words. Haven’t smoked in years and years, so it’s not an ode to cigarettes!

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you? I’m down in West Sussex on the coast, not too far from Brighton.

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition? Lofty it may be, but it’s always been to get as close to ‘what I hear in my head’…lofty and trite, haha. But cliches are cliches for a reason, I guess.

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one? Yeah, that’s a tough one. Have to go with my Kemper; makes any guitar sound good in many, many ways. Replaced a 24+ pedal board and all my amps, without regrets (note that I don’t play out these days, so it’s purely for bedroom rock stardom).

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one? There’s no way this doesn’t change each time I’m asked! I’m a pretty voracious listener, so it could vary hugely. As I’ve gotten older (39 this year), I’ve found my tastes broadening further - so I’ll give most things a listen. 

Cheers all - any questions, give me a shout! Not sure how much I’ll be able to add to the board, but always happy to try. 

Rob

@bobacco ; Hi and welcome to tFB.

To start a new thread, click on the icon furthest right on the coloured bar at the top where you'll find Home, your username and a bunch of other stuff. 
    Admins & Mods can be found in New Members if at some point you need to contact.

• bobaccobobacco Frets: 164
    Cheers @Mellish - have a good one, bud!

• Hello all. I'm a recent beginner and (aged 28) a rather late one.

For almost 20 years I played the trumpet and cornet in jazz/swing groups, orchestras, and mostly brass bands. We did many an exciting flower show and carol service, let me tell you. Eventually I lost interest and packed it in. I missed playing an instrument though - it really left a hole in my life. I wanted to play again. Something challenging but fun, and something I could sing along with (badly...).

I toyed with the idea of the electric guitar; it features heavily in the sort of music I like. The idea grew and grew on me, until in January - almost on an impulse - I visited my local music shop. The owner must have discerned that I was an idiot, knowing nothing about the instrument and having no clue what I wanted, but he sent me off with a Telecaster. In hindsight I should have done some research, but fair play, he chose well. I love it. Knowing a little more now about guitars, I've not seen a single one I'd prefer.

So now I'm another noob plodding away at the Justin Guitar course in the hope that one day I'll be halfway decent.

Q1: Where did you username come from?

It's an incredibly funny and witty pun on my guitar.

Q2: Where in the world/country are you?

North Wales, UK.

Q3: What's your main musical ambition?

To be able to play the music I like, and to be technically competent.

Q4: Your "best" bit of gear - just the one?

The Tele. Or maybe my cool orange pick. I don't have much gear yet.

Q5: Your #1 ever track - again, just the one?

How am I meant to choose just one? Alright, Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd. Cliché I know.
    @NothingOnTheTele ; Welcome to tFB.

The icon furthest right on the coloured bar at the top where you'll find Home, your username and a bunch of other stuff is the one to click if you want to start a new thread. ☺️

Enjoy! The :) 
  • @Mellish Thanks very much.
  • Hi, I'm SuperFamiTom,

I'm very new to playing the guitar having just picked up my first a couple of weeks ago. I can only assume I'm very much of a late starter as I turn 50 in September. Always fancied playing guitar but other things in life got in the way I guess. With my impending half century looming I decided that if I don't start now then I almost certainly never will. 

Been in to guitar based music all my life. My all time favourite band is Fugazi, but a big fan of other stuff such as Metallica, Slayer, Sonic Youth, Dinosaur Jr. etc but also electronic stuff too. I'll listen to anything that's got a bit of energy behind it.

To the questions...

My main love in life (other than my missus and the dog obviously) has always been arcade and video games. Particularly Japanese ones. The Super Famicom, my favourite ever games console, was the Japanese version of the Super Nintendo / SNES. My surname is Thomas and so SuperFamiTom is a play on that.

A small town fairly near Doncaster in South Yorkshire.

To be able to play guitar well in my bedroom that it makes me smile.

I've only got the one, my new guitar. A Yamaha 311h.

As mentioned above, my favourite band is Fugazi and my favourite Fugazi track is 'Shut the Door' 

@SuperFamiTom ; Welcome to tFB.

Admins & Mods are listed in New Members if you get stuck or need to report.
    To start a new thread, click the icon furthest right on the coloured bar at the top where you'll find Home, your username etc. 

• TomykTomyk Frets: 4

Hey chaps! 

My username is just a play on my actual name :) 

I’m from Surrey

My main musical ambition is to play stuff that I find enjoyable and fulfilling. I spent too much time getting hung up trying to learn songs I didn’t even like that much. Now I’m just looking to play what makes happy! 

My best bit of gear is whatever inspires me in the moment.. usually a strat! 

Impossible to pick a single best track but 

Drivin South by Hendrix is always going to make me drive along.. what a great rhythm!!

Cheers!

@Tomyk ; Hi and welcome to tFB. 

Start your own threed? Simple just click on the icon fat right on the coloured bar at the top where you'll find Home, your username and a bunch of other stuff. 
    Admins & Mods are listed in New Members if you need them.
    The rules are explained in Help & Feedback and Off Topic. 

Enjoy :) 
  • IPLAYLOUDIPLAYLOUD Frets: 3
    I have been IPLAYLOUD online for over 25 years.
    I live on Long Island, NY. I have been on many Forums over the years, looking forward to this one.
    I enjoy playing Rockabilly & Surf, and have been doing it...along with Pop and Blues and whatever for decades in the NYC area. I have been following Vintage Guitars since they were just Used Guitars.
    I have many Reverend Guitars, a few old Fenders (Competition Mustangs, Coronados), Metropolitan Guitars (Made in Houston TX by Robin), and other "offbeat" brands (Silvertone, Danelectro, Hallmark).
    #1 Track is tough! Something by Les Paul or Jeff Beck I suppose.
    I'm a retired Sales Rep (NYC area) for Converse, Champion, and other Sporting Goods companies.

@IPLAYLOUD ; Hi and welcome to tFB.

Look forwatd to reading your comments.
    Admins & Mods are listed in New Members if you get stuck, just pick one and send them a message.