Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Football Thread. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    Yea. So Nunez 1 Haaland 0 in the battle of the new strikers! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 6476
    edited July 2022
    They both look like they will score a hatful this season, could be a good race for the golden boot
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    They both look like they will score a hatful this season, good be a good race for the golden boot
    And Salah and Kame too. Could be a close race! 
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
      City fan here. Liverpool looked fitter, sharper and hungrier. 

Pep does seem to have this strategy of giving the team a light pre-season…which impacts how we start the season. 

Positives for me were the performances of Alvarez and Haaland.  

I think this at the start of every season…..but this year there really could be a competitive top 5/6 if Utd, Spurs & Chelsea get their acts together.  
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4389
    Poor bloke Alvarez, scored his first goal for city and was seen to have a good telling off by Pep.

Whanker
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    TTony said:
    My order of preference, as a Spurs fan;

1.  Sell Ndombelazygit.
    2.  No takers?  Loan out Ndombelazygit.  Somewhere far away.
    3.  Swap Ndombelazygit for some lockdown pasta & a couple of loo rolls.
        (Levy is a good negotiator - one of the loo rolls might even be unused).
    4.  Damn, it’s a hard market.  Give away Ndombelazygit.
    5.  New right wing / back please.  Bye bye Emerson “what’s a cross” Royal.
    6.  New Centre Forward so Mr Kane doesn’t have to play every minute of every damn match.
    7.  Loan out the entire U23 squad to Norwich for the season.
       (It worked brilliantly for Skipp, it might work just as well for a couple of others too)
       ((And Norwich could get promoted again))

And don’t, under any circumstances, buy any expensive (>£30m) foreign “star”.  They never work out well.

Hmmmm, bit concerned about Richarlison and the fee.  I think he'd qualify as the don't, under any circumstances, buy any expensive foreign "star".  Possible exclusion as he's been playing in the Premier League for a few years.

New right wing back?  Djed Spence.  Presume he'll share the role with Doherty, although note that Emerson is still on the books.

New Centre Forward?  Between Richarlison & Son, that should be covered.  Kulu-ski & Perisic on the wings.

Not seen anything (yet) about the entire U23s going off to Norfolk, but there's still chance to get that deal done.

And that'd probably be an easier deal to do than getting rid of Ndombelazygit.  
    :(

Pretty good transfer window, looks like the squad is a lot stronger with decent cover in most positions.  Kane, Son, Richarlison, Kulu-ski - there's some goals getting score next season.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Can't wait for the new season! 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    axisus said:
    Can't wait for the new season! 
    Likewise

So what are the predictions for the PL season - mine are

Fight for first place is MCFC and LFC - can't pick the winner but based on the Charity Shield performance then LFC

3rd is Spurs - based on a full season with Conte

then a fight for 4th - Unknown about Chelsea with new owners, letting Ruddier is an error IMO - Unknown how Man U will be with ten Hag - With Arsenal in with a fight but have those Thurs UEFA fixtures to take into account 

In many ways the top 4-6 places are fairly predictable, just a case of which order, with the Hammers putting in another credible run, but hard to break into the top 4/5 

Don't think Newcastle will improve much this year - I don't think they'll be in the bottom 3/4, but not sure the new funds will equate to a top 6-8 position this season

Hopeful that Leeds a) perform better this season b) try and get back to mid table at least - But to be fair, the bottom 10 has little to choose between the points acquired, performance, hope. survival etc - The key with these clubs is not about picking up points v the top 4-6 elite clubs, but picking up the 40 + points required v the clubs between 8th and last 

All in all very little in the way of surprises - Which is actually a pity and a sign of funds/power

The EFL is far less predictable - You pick the 3 to come up and it is far harder and far more open 
    As a Spurs fan, I’m always optimistic and hopeful.  

And then September rolls around and most of the optimism is gone ...

But this season, I’m a little more hopeful than usual.  A front 4 who should be fairly scary for most defences.  Romero is a beast, Dier is effective, enough choice in midfield to be competitive.  I’d have liked to have seen Erikssen back as I don’t see much midfield creativity or goal scoring - but the transfer window isn’t closed yet ...
  • I'm not getting the impression the championship will be any better this year than last - I can't imagine any team being a real stand out team, nor could I have a team I think will definitely be in the playoffs. That should make it more exciting in theory, but that certainly wasn't the case last season. One of the worst seasons in the championship that I can remember.

I'm not confident for my team West Brom, but that's usually a good sign because when it all goes wrong at least I'll be ready for it this time. We haven't really cleared out any dead wood and although we've signed a few decent free transfers, I feel like come January we won't be where we'd like to be
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    1 City
    2 l'pool
    3 Man U
    4 Arsenal 
    5 Chelsea
    6 Spurs

I'm a Man U fan so I'm putting them in my most hopeful position!
    Spurs bound to implode
    edited August 2022
    I'm struggling to settle on my prediction. I think West Ham will get 6th. We have strengthened and still have a couple of signings on the way. I think we'll have spent the third most across Europe if we sign this Onana (that's his name), Onana (Sing his name...new chant I hope) chap. So I have to expect that we will do a bit better than last year. So I'm expecting 6th.

I think Jesus will have a great season at Arsenal and theyll get top 4. I think Chelsea will have a poor season so I'm going with:

Man City
    Liverpool
    Man Utd
    Arsenal 
    Spurs
    West Ham
    Chelsea

Chelsea just haven't strengthened as well as the other teams in my opinion so I think they'll have a poor season. I hope Tuchel doesn't get the sack because I think he's a top manager. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    1. Liverpool
    2. Spurs
    3. ManC
    4. ManU
    5. Chelsea
    6. Villa
    7.  WHU

Villa is a bit of a wildcard, based more on StevieG than anything else.
    ManU in 4th because they can’t still fail, surely, not after spending more more money.

Arsenal, unfortunately, are thrown out of the Premier League for reasons that you just wouldn’t believe!
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    That penalty in the Charity Sheild was a nonsense -  ball going off the pitch , no attacking player anywhere near, deflected (not diverted) the ball towards the goal rather than away from it.  

If that is the rule, then it’s a nonsense rule.  IMHO Handball should be awarded only if a disadvantage has occurred  as a result, and Liverpool received no disadvantage from a ball that was going out.  Most of the time it does, but in that case it didn’t.  

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    As a long-suffering Spurs fan I am looking forward to this season with some hope. 3rd should be our aim, I can't see anyone getting ahead of City or Liverpool. A cup would be nice.

History tells me that we'll have a good chance if buggering it up, but with the World Cup screwing up domestic football who knows what might happen? 
  • swillerswiller Frets: 662
    Looking forward to it too. Exciting season for my toon. Think same as last year is acceptable to fans with a settling in period for the players. But think we surprise the league a bit. 

Man City

Liverpool.

Chelsea.

Arsenal.

Newcastle.

Man U.

Dont worry, be silly.
    swiller said:
    Looking forward to it too. Exciting season for my toon. Think same as last year is acceptable to fans with a settling in period for the players. But think we surprise the league a bit. 

Man City

Liverpool.

Chelsea.

Arsenal.

Newcastle.

Man U.

Nah. :lol: :kiss: 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    Surprised Leicester have allowed Schmeichel to leave - Consistently the best keeper in the PL, that was not attached to the top 4-6 elite clubs - Are Leicester starting to drift back to the days of 'old Leicester' - No players in - Offers for Maddison, Barnes and Fofana - Surprised no one has made serious moves for Tielemans - Vardy in the autumn of his career - Pereira out for most of the season - Maybe not time to be worried, but time to be concerned as they appear to be more drifting than steering forth
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 6476
    Liverpool 
    City
    Arsenal
    Utd
    Spurs
    Chelsea

Unfortunately I think my lot (Palace) might not repeat the good progress of last season . Gallagher was huge for us and I think without him it will lower mid table for us 
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1625
    I am more optimistic about Spurs than I have been since the stadium move.

Clear change in thinking at the top finally.
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 2983
    ennspek said:
    I am more optimistic about Spurs than I have been since the stadium move.

Clear change in thinking at the top finally.
    They’ve bought quite well, apart from Richarlison, who is the Premier League’s most despicable cheat. 
    Really rate Kulacevski, and although Spence is raw, if Conte can moderate his behaviours, there’s definitely a player there. 
    Arsenal off to a winning start.

I'm so looking forward to tomorrow. If I haven't said (I did, many times) I'm a West Ham season ticket holder and we're playing Man City so it'll be interesting to see Haaland.

It'll be exciting to see a couple of our new signings. We've had a great transfer window signing Scamacca, an Italian International striker, Ageurd, a defender who got injured in pre season, Cornet, a LW who seems to be able to play as a striker, Flynn Downes, a CM who is a West Ham fan and Areola, who was on loan last season from PSG. We have a couple other prospects and I think we'll get them.

I'm glad we didn't get Lingard in the end. While great value on a free, he is a player who plays well when his confidence is high, and I feel if that drops off even slightly he can disappear. He was like this at West Ham. Amazing for 10 games then largely invisible.

No one wanted him more than West Ham, we chased him for 18 months. He would have been playing in Europe, playing weekly but he chose to take the larger pay check for a year for a club who may have a difficult season. 

Good for Forest, I hope it works out for everyone but I think Lingards reputation has taken a knock in this whole saga. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Good win last night for us to start the season. Jesus and Zinchenko bring that winning mentality from City, both looked good. But what impressed me most was Saliba. The guy's 21 and for his first start in the Premier League he looked solid and looks to be a good defensive partner for Gabriel. I think last season we may have lost that game due to us bottle it in and not grinding the win out. But a long way to go yet and sterner tests will come but a good start. Couple more signings needed maybe but the squad depth is better than last season.
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1416
    edited August 2022
    Arsenal off to a winning start.

I'm so looking forward to tomorrow. If I haven't said (I did, many times) I'm a West Ham season ticket holder and we're playing Man City so it'll be interesting to see Haaland.

It'll be exciting to see a couple of our new signings. We've had a great transfer window signing Scamacca, an Italian International striker, Ageurd, a defender who got injured in pre season, Cornet, a LW who seems to be able to play as a striker, Flynn Downes, a CM who is a West Ham fan and Areola, who was on loan last season from PSG. We have a couple other prospects and I think we'll get them.

I'm glad we didn't get Lingard in the end. While great value on a free, he is a player who plays well when his confidence is high, and I feel if that drops off even slightly he can disappear. He was like this at West Ham. Amazing for 10 games then largely invisible.

No one wanted him more than West Ham, we chased him for 18 months. He would have been playing in Europe, playing weekly but he chose to take the larger pay check for a year for a club who may have a difficult season. 

Good for Forest, I hope it works out for everyone but I think Lingards reputation has taken a knock in this whole saga. 
    I’m interested to know why you think this? 

Given the final (actual) numbers of £80k a week plus bonuses, I’m delighted as fuck we have a player of his calibre and experience in our squad for our first season back. I get his social media presence and that side rubs everyone up the wrong way, but he chose Forest because it means he’s closer to his daughter and he liked what Steve Cooper proposed in terms of the project they’re building. 

I live 200 miles away from Nottingham these days, but after 23 years away, there was absolutely zero chance I’m missing our first home game next week. Even if we’re only up for one season, I’m going to enjoy every minute (as I have done since the memorable day out at wembley); but I’m quietly confident that we have the manager and squad that will do enough to keep us up. 
    edited August 2022
    I don't think any of us know the actual number. And tbh, I can't see him taking tens of thousands less at Forest than he would've earned at West Ham. No way.

But mainly because he strung West Ham along for months. He liked every one of our social media posts, posed in a West Ham shirt a few months ago and then decided at the last second to not go with the competitive option, the one that gave him the best chance of playing for England again, playing in Europe with England team mates, challenging for Champions League football with a team genuinely playing excellent football, and went with a newly promoted team for a single year so that he can presumably leave after a year and do all this again. That's no disrespect to Forest. I like the team, the history and they belong in the Premier League, I also hope you do well.

But for many people this whole saga leaves a bit of a bad taste in the mouth, and regardless of the money they, and not just West Ham fans feel that it's all a bit of a strange situation and I think that will follow him around. 

I do wonder how Forest fans will feel when the rumour mill around him starts up again in January. 
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1416
    I don't think any of us know the actual number. And tbh, I can't see him taking tens of thousands less at Forest than he would've earned at West Ham. No way.

But mainly because he strung West Ham along for months. He liked every one of our social media posts, posed in a West Ham shirt a few months ago and then decided at the last second to not go with the competitive option, the one that gave him the best chance of playing for England again, playing in Europe with England team mates, challenging for Champions League football with a team genuinely playing excellent football, and went with a newly promoted team for a single year so that he can presumably leave after a year and do all this again. That's no disrespect to Forest. I like the team, the history and they belong in the Premier League, I also hope you do well.

But for many people this whole saga leaves a bit of a bad taste in the mouth, and regardless of the money they, and not just West Ham fans feel that it's all a bit of a strange situation and I think that will follow him around. 

I do wonder how Forest fans will feel when the rumour mill around him starts up again in January. 
    Fair enough - can see why that work irk you I suppose. Regarding his wage, it was reported by John Percy at the telegraph, who has close ties with the club. He 100% took less to play at Forest than he was being offered at West Ham - but everyone just assumed he was playing for the money - that doesn't seem to be the case. 

I couldn't care less what happens with him if he's giving his all on the field and helping create goals (and scoring a few), I don't care much. 
    edited August 2022
    joneve said:

He 100% took less to play at Forest than he was being offered at West Ham - but everyone just assumed he was playing for the money - that doesn't seem to be the case. 

I couldn't care less what happens with him if he's giving his all on the field and helping create goals (and scoring a few), I don't care much. 
    We don't know 100% unless we see the contract. And people leak incorrect stuff all the time to protect their image so I'm not taking 'leaked' contract information as gospel just because someone linked to the club says so. Maybe it's true but the timeline doesn't make sense. 

This is the timeline.

Apparantly going to West Ham.
    Then Forest step in.
    Then West Ham say that they can't match the demands that Forest will and pull out. 
    He signs for Forest. 
    Then he gets criticised for it 
    Now it's leaked that he's actually earning less? 

Again, I'm not saying it's not true but why did West Ham pull out because they couldn't match the demands that Forest would, if it was actually less than what they were offering him? It just doesn't add up to me. 

Also imagine being in that dressing room, secure promotion and then some guy who has barely played in 3 years except for a 6 month loan spell comes in and is earning 5x as much as the next highest earner.

Are you worried that it could upset the dressing room? 
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    COYS   4 - 1      decent start
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    bertie said:
    That one was always a should-win .... 
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    TTony said:
    bertie said:
    That one was always a should-win .... 
    how many times have we proved the opposite !!
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.