Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Football Thread. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    And the Spurs go marching on.

Kulusevski - what a player. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1416
    joneve said:
    I don't think any of us know the actual number. And tbh, I can't see him taking tens of thousands less at Forest than he would've earned at West Ham. No way.

But mainly because he strung West Ham along for months. He liked every one of our social media posts, posed in a West Ham shirt a few months ago and then decided at the last second to not go with the competitive option, the one that gave him the best chance of playing for England again, playing in Europe with England team mates, challenging for Champions League football with a team genuinely playing excellent football, and went with a newly promoted team for a single year so that he can presumably leave after a year and do all this again. That's no disrespect to Forest. I like the team, the history and they belong in the Premier League, I also hope you do well.

But for many people this whole saga leaves a bit of a bad taste in the mouth, and regardless of the money they, and not just West Ham fans feel that it's all a bit of a strange situation and I think that will follow him around. 

I do wonder how Forest fans will feel when the rumour mill around him starts up again in January. 
    He 100% took less to play at Forest than he was being offered at West Ham - but everyone just assumed he was playing for the money - that doesn't seem to be the case. 

I couldn't care less what happens with him if he's giving his all on the field and helping create goals (and scoring a few), I don't care much. 
    We don't know 100% unless we see the contract. And people leak incorrect stuff all the time to protect their image so I'm not taking 'leaked' contract information as gospel just because someone linked to the club says so. Maybe it's true but the timeline doesn't make sense. 

This is the timeline.

Apparantly going to West Ham.
    Then Forest step in.
    Then West Ham say that they can't match the demands that Forest will and pull out. 
    He signs for Forest. 
    Then he gets criticised for it 
    Now it's leaked that he's actually earning less? 

Again, I'm not saying it's not true but why did West Ham pull out because they couldn't match the demands that Forest would, if it was actually less than what they were offering him? It just doesn't add up to me. 

Also imagine being in that dressing room, secure promotion and then some guy who has barely played in 3 years except for a 6 month loan spell comes in and is earning 5x as much as the next highest earner.

Are you worried that it could upset the dressing room? 
    Not worried at all. Cooper’s man management is second to none and the move wouldn’t have been entertained if the spine of the team wasn’t on board (the remaining 6 or 7 players from or promotion). Joe Worrall isn’t one to mince his words about his team mates and he’s had nothing but positive things to say thus far. 

Today was a real baptism of fire but Lingard looked to be one of the few bright spots. 

Looking forward to seeing what the team can do once they’ve had time together and they’ve settled into the pace of the premier league
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    Arsenal off to a winning start.

I'm so looking forward to tomorrow. If I haven't said (I did, many times) I'm a West Ham season ticket holder and we're playing Man City so it'll be interesting to see Haaland.

It'll be exciting to see a couple of our new signings. We've had a great transfer window signing Scamacca, an Italian International striker, Ageurd, a defender who got injured in pre season, Cornet, a LW who seems to be able to play as a striker, Flynn Downes, a CM who is a West Ham fan and Areola, who was on loan last season from PSG. We have a couple other prospects and I think we'll get them.

I'm glad we didn't get Lingard in the end. While great value on a free, he is a player who plays well when his confidence is high, and I feel if that drops off even slightly he can disappear. He was like this at West Ham. Amazing for 10 games then largely invisible.

No one wanted him more than West Ham, we chased him for 18 months. He would have been playing in Europe, playing weekly but he chose to take the larger pay check for a year for a club who may have a difficult season. 

Good for Forest, I hope it works out for everyone but I think Lingards reputation has taken a knock in this whole saga. 
    I’m just a tad frustrated that we didn’t get Broja through the door on loan, he is a monster centre forward, similar to Antonio , similar to Arnautovic, and proven in the Premier League.
  • swillerswiller Frets: 662
    Great start for toon. Howe spot on with needing to fill a gap of world class up front soon. Dominated the game and played them off the park. Should be top of table really as plenty of chances missed+ clean sheet unlike spurs. Kept going and world class strike for first goal. 
    Will cheer on west ham tomoz hosting city. Great club with great fans. 

Dont worry, be silly.
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    joneve said:
    Today was a real baptism of fire but Lingard looked to be one of the few bright spots. 

I'll watch MOTD with great interest. ;) 
    sev112 said:
    Arsenal off to a winning start.

I'm so looking forward to tomorrow. If I haven't said (I did, many times) I'm a West Ham season ticket holder and we're playing Man City so it'll be interesting to see Haaland.

It'll be exciting to see a couple of our new signings. We've had a great transfer window signing Scamacca, an Italian International striker, Ageurd, a defender who got injured in pre season, Cornet, a LW who seems to be able to play as a striker, Flynn Downes, a CM who is a West Ham fan and Areola, who was on loan last season from PSG. We have a couple other prospects and I think we'll get them.

I'm glad we didn't get Lingard in the end. While great value on a free, he is a player who plays well when his confidence is high, and I feel if that drops off even slightly he can disappear. He was like this at West Ham. Amazing for 10 games then largely invisible.

No one wanted him more than West Ham, we chased him for 18 months. He would have been playing in Europe, playing weekly but he chose to take the larger pay check for a year for a club who may have a difficult season. 

Good for Forest, I hope it works out for everyone but I think Lingards reputation has taken a knock in this whole saga. 
    I’m just a tad frustrated that we didn’t get Broja through the door on loan, he is a monster centre forward, similar to Antonio , similar to Arnautovic, and proven in the Premier League.
    Yea but Scamacca looks the business. Apparantly PSG put a late enquiry in for him and Broja has interest from Real Madrid so we can't get all the top strikers. :lol:

We sold no one of importance, only really lost Noble. We have definitely strengthened and I hope that Vlasic can come good because so far I'm not impressed, but at least we have some decent rotation for the earlier European games. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    swiller said:
    Great start for toon. Howe spot on with needing to fill a gap of world class up front soon. Dominated the game and played them off the park. Should be top of table really as plenty of chances missed+ clean sheet unlike spurs. Kept going and world class strike for first goal. 
    Will cheer on west ham tomoz hosting city. Great club with great fans. 

Newcastle certainly look a quality side. Don’t get ahead of yourself though, we were well below par today with only 4 regulars on the pitch from last season. You won’t get it that easy every week :D

The 6 week break for the World Cup will make or break or season as it will give us a solid amount of time to re-group for the run in.

i don’t expect us to be that terrible every week but Newcastle look great and Howe is being able to do what he couldn’t at Bournemouth as he had no budget. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    joneve said:

I'll watch MOTD with great interest. ;) 
    Don’t blink, you might miss him. Our inept midfield couldn’t get the ball up to him or our strikers much all day haha. 
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2890
    Pleased Mitrovic got a goal today and looked sharp. Pereira and Palhinha look like good signings too. I was expecting to see us get battered today, so chuffed overall.

Haven't missed the BBC's PL reporting though!
    Well Haaland looked bloody sharp. Bad result for West Ham aside, he got me 20 points for my fantasy team. 

Scamacca got a good header in, couple of good, aggressive tackles. He looks promising. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    Well Haaland looked bloody sharp. Bad result for West Ham aside, he got me 20 points for my fantasy team. 

Scamacca got a good header in, couple of good, aggressive tackles. He looks promising. 
    at least your season can start next week and you'll only need to play Citeh one more time - that's better than anyone else
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

at least your season can start next week and you'll only need to play Citeh one more time - that's better than anyone else
    Yea. 

I also got told by someone who found out I was German that I should go back to where I came from. So that was interesting. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8170
    Same old Man United. Utter shite.

Sick of watching the bulk of that team. There are so few players I'd keep.

Shaw - dogmash
    Maguire - laughable 
    McTominay -.Championship standard
    Fred - seriously, he is still here?
    Rashford - HOW ARE YOU EVEN EARNING A LIVING AS A FOOTBALL PLAYER? 

Please make them go.

The only solace from today is that the owners were there and surely must see that with that shower of pathetic clowns, we're mid-table at best.

I fkg hate supporting them right now. (In case that wasn't coming across).
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • That Haaland guy's a bit good ain't he? 2 goals on his debut, the guy looks frightening, he could easily get 30 goals a season for City for many years.
    That Haaland guy's a bit good ain't he? 2 goals on his debut, the guy looks frightening, he could easily get 30 goals a season for City for many years.
    He won't stay there for many years though. I reckon he'll stay for three years and then go to RM. And then Bayern in his 30's and then back to Norway when he's like 36.

Save this post, set an alarm and we'll discuss it again in 2036 to see if I were accurate. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Hattigol said:

Shaw - dogmash
    Maguire - laughable 

Please make them go.

The only solace from today is that the owners were there and surely must see that with that shower of pathetic clowns, we're mid-table at best.

Man U have been poor since Fergie left. I don't recall any season I enjoyed much. A decade of disappointment, but hey, you can't desert your team can you. I enjoyed the great years, I have to put up with the lean ones.

I had high hopes with the new manager but what a woeful start. I honestly thought all those years ago when Fergie left that the club was rich enough and with a good enough infrastructure that we would never do a 'Liverpool' and sink so low for so long. Boy was I wrong. This is what you get when Football people don't own the club. Wrong mindset from the top equals failure. 
    Hattlgol said:

Shaw - dogmash
    Maguire - laughable 

Please make them go.

I really hope that We can get Garner out of there before Ten Haag realises he’s better than who he’s playing in midfield
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    Well Haaland looked bloody sharp. 
    Flash in the pan.

Beginner’s luck.

Anyone can score a pen.

He’ll get bored of Manchester soon enough.

(hopeful thinking?)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    Hattigol said:

Shaw - dogmash
    Maguire - laughable 

Please make them go.

I watched the match with a mate whose a big Man U - Think Bruno, Sancho, Rashford did far to little - You'd have thought that Rashford and Sancho would be trying to get back in the WC squad - We don't have a genuine #2 as back up for Kane, so a lot to play for as far as Rashford is concerned - But they offered so little

IMO, both goals had the same issue -  the lack of midfield tracking back to pick up the runners coming thru' from central midfield - Maguire not at fault on either gaols - The runners then mean the defence has to try and cover too much ground and/or to many players not marked- Surely with 2 holding players in CM, then one of them should always be there - ALWAYS 

Yet, for all the faults, issues, lack of desire etc, they could have been 1-0 up and a different game - That was a seriously bad miss by Bruno and not even close - At worse, the keeper should have been asked to make the save - In some ways a funny game - Although Brighton deserved the win, neither keeper had a lot to do 

Eriksen best player my some distance today for Man U
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1684
    Great start for my AFC Bournemouth. Important points (they all will be this season!). Next game - City away. Haaland will score another few I'd imagine, which at least will be good for my fantasy team haha. 
    Seriously though - I'm hoping we'll show heart and fight and it won't be City win by a landslide. 
  • Great start for my AFC Bournemouth. Important points (they all will be this season!). Next game - City away. Haaland will score another few I'd imagine, which at least will be good for my fantasy team haha. 
    Seriously though - I'm hoping we'll show heart and fight and it won't be City win by a landslide. 
    On behalf of the rest of the West Midlands' football fans, Id like to thank your team for shutting the Villa fans up at least for a week. The sound of rocks being lifted for the Villa fans to crawl back underneath them was deafening :) 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    It's great to see Haaland in the Prem, but to be honest it's depressing that he went to City. I wish he'd gone to any other club. If City keep winning the title every year it will devalue the Prem as a competition and its position as the best league in the world, and I fear they may just do that. 
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    axisus said:
    It's great to see Haaland in the Prem, but to be honest it's depressing that he went to City. I wish he'd gone to any other club. If City keep winning the title every year it will devalue the Prem as a competition and its position as the best league in the world, and I fear they may just do that. 
    That's an interesting point of view. I hardly follow it anymore but when I did it was almost always Man Utd who won it, I don't think it devalued it though, if anything it was during that period when it displaced other european leagues as the one to watch.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    At least City will make proper use of his talent.  As opposed to going somewhere like United where he'd be mismanaged, frustrated and would only ever reach a fraction of his full potential.

And realistically he had to go to a club which could pay a big transfer fee and offer a big salary and Champions League football.
  • ronnybronnyb Frets: 1728
    axisus said:
    They're dominating now but it won't last forever. Admittedly money is a big factor now but who knows, Pep may move on and all the big teams have their day, Liverpool, Chelsea, Man U. They've all been top dogs at some time but things change. 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    Philly_Q said:
    At least City will make proper use of his talent.  As opposed to going somewhere like United where he'd be mismanaged, frustrated and would only ever reach a fraction of his full potential.

And realistically he had to go to a club which could pay a big transfer fee and offer a big salary and Champions League football.
    I think that’s called “rubbing it in” @AllManUFans!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    TTony said:
    Philly_Q said:

I think that’s called “rubbing it in” @AllManUFans!
    It wasn't really meant to be, but as a neutral observer Man U do seem to have had an awful lot of talented players in their squad the last few years, both bought-in and home-grown... and they've managed to do absolutely fuck all with them.
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3162
    Bees to smash MU next week hopefully
    tFB Trader
    That's a big turn up for the book - Connor Coady to Everton on loan all season

I noticed he was only on the bench for the opening game v Leeds - But assumed maybe he had a niggle, not completed a full pre-season programme - He has been a large part of their team for a while, a good solid player and a good leader IMO - So a surprise to be suddenly off loaded like that 
    Bees to smash MU next week hopefully
    Don't worry they'll get Frankie and all their problems will be solved!