Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Football Thread. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    Bees to smash MU next week hopefully
    Don't worry they'll get Frankie and all their problems will be solved! 
    Thought he was going to Hollywood 

Do you you mean FFL as he is known at ER
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8170
    Bees to smash MU next week hopefully
    Don't worry they'll get Frankie and all their problems will be solved! 
    I'd play the late, great Frankie Howerd as centre midfield ahead of the current pairing.

Nooooooo. Yessssss. Etc.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    @TeleMaster - Did I hear correctly - W Ham have the largest season ticket sales of any PL Club - Something like 45K
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    @TeleMaster - Did I hear correctly - W Ham have the largest season ticket sales of any PL Club - Something like 45K
    All available 54k tickets are gone. It's amazing.

They said we wouldn't fill it but we're full every week and have a waiting list of a couple of years now. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I always find the plethora of teams in London, and the attendances they manage to get to be quite fascinating. 

I suppose the size and spread of the greater area, and the easy travel links etc help, but to have that many clubs within the area and to get the kinds of numbers they do from attendances seems crazy at first.

But then, the population of greater London is what, 9million? And surrounding well populated counties where they don't have much by way of football clubs in the top few leagues? In the West Mids we have Villa, Wolves, Albion, Coventry, Birmingham and Walsall (in order of average attendance last season) and yes, they're all largely a bit rubbish apart from Wolves the last few seasons, but only Villa get above 31k attendance. But then we only have just over 2million population, so I suppose that's not too bad really considering, in terms of proportion of size but also how crap our teams are.

Obviously the season tickets are going to be the actual fans, but do London clubs get an element of football tourism as well? Going to see a premier match in a nice stadium regardless of who you support is presumably a more pleasant experience than, say West Brom v Rotherham on a Tuesday night in November.

I'm not sure what point I'm making to be honest but just find it interesting.
    tFB Trader

They said we wouldn't fill it but we're full every week and have a waiting list of a couple of years now. 
    That's superb - But with a few thousand tickets available from away fans, I assume that means very limited ticket availability for fans who visit occasionally and can't justify a season ticket 
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4697

In the West Mids we have Villa, Wolves, Albion, Coventry, Birmingham and Walsall (in order of average attendance last season) 
    @thecolourbox - you missed out Solihull Moors!

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9128
    edited August 2022
    Nitefly said:

In the West Mids we have Villa, Wolves, Albion, Coventry, Birmingham and Walsall (in order of average attendance last season) 
    @thecolourbox - you missed out Solihull Moors!

They have more in the match day squad than in the stands don't they?! Might as well include Cadbury Athletic and Brandhall Colts Under 13s 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited August 2022

That's superb - But with a few thousand tickets available from away fans, I assume that means very limited ticket availability for fans who visit occasionally and can't justify a season ticket 

We have a capacity of 60k and its going up. So there's 6k tickets for non season ticket holders every game. Plenty for Europe and Cup matches and also the ticket exchange. There always new faces around us because season ticket holder can put our ticket for individual games on the exchange and get £20 towards your next season ticket in the form of 'Club Cash' or you can gift it to a mate. It's fairly easy to get tickets really except for games against our rivals like Spurs.

And if that fails, you can often get tickets down the pubs around the stadiun on match day, but that'll be more expensive. 
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 2983

Obviously the season tickets are going to be the actual fans, but do London clubs get an element of football tourism as well? Going to see a premier match in a nice stadium regardless of who you support is presumably a more pleasant experience than, say West Brom v Rotherham on a Tuesday night in November.

There are plenty of tourists at all the Premier league games.   Obviously the more high profile clubs get more but even at Brentford we’ve got regular visitors from the USA and Scandinavia in particular. 

The huge numbers of tourists at places like Old Trafford has killed the atmosphere. There’s very much an element of watching the game as if it was the theatre and then just applauding at the end and taking blurry pics of Ronaldo taking a corner. 

The new ‘mega structures’ like Spurs and West Ham are impressive and awesome buildings but are dreadful for actually watching the match as you’re so far from the pitch.   I actually like to feel part of the game so favour the older stadiums like Elland Road and Craven Cottage.   So as a grumpy old football fan, in answer to your question, I’d much rather be at West Brom in November than The Emirates at any time of the year. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I kind of get what you mean, although I'm guessing you've never had to go to West Brom in November ;)

RobDavies said:

There are plenty of tourists at all the Premier league games.   Obviously the more high profile clubs get more but even at Brentford we’ve got regular visitors from the USA and Scandinavia in particular. 

The huge numbers of tourists at places like Old Trafford has killed the atmosphere. There’s very much an element of watching the game as if it was the theatre and then just applauding at the end and taking blurry pics of Ronaldo taking a corner. 

The new ‘mega structures’ like Spurs and West Ham are impressive and awesome buildings but are dreadful for actually watching the match as you’re so far from the pitch.   I actually like to feel part of the game so favour the older stadiums like Elland Road and Craven Cottage.   So as a grumpy old football fan, in answer to your question, I’d much rather be at West Brom in November than The Emirates at any time of the year. 
    I can see every single thing that happens on the pitch. I'm far away, and it's not the chicken run at the Boleyn but I never feel like I can't see what's going on. I took a friend with me and he commented on how it was a great view. He preferred it to Palace who he went to last season. I've never been so I can't comment.

We had a couple of young guys from Alaska studying at LSE sit next to us on Sunday. 
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1416
    RobDavies said:

This is why I’m pleased Forest have chosen to re-develop the old main stand to increase capacity, and keep the city ground where it is. It’s an absolutely wonderful place to watch a game and the atmosphere is second to none. Buzzing to be back there on Sunday for the first time in the premier league since I was 15 (FFS!). Tickets are rarer than rocking horse shit with neither of the first two home games making it to general sale. 

with the redevelopment planned, it should just enhance the game day experience for those lucky enough to get a ticket. 
    joneve said:
    Buzzing to be back there on Sunday
    Hope you lose!!! ;) 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    joneve said:
    Hope you lose!!! ;) 
    If we do, as long as I can see progress from Newcastle, I won’t be too disappointed. I don’t expect us to compete much before October, due to the overhaul we’ve had to make of the squad; as they will need time to gel and find the right starting XI
    tFB Trader
    joneve said:
    RobDavies said:

This is why I’m pleased Forest have chosen to re-develop the old main stand to increase capacity, and keep the city ground where it is. It’s an absolutely wonderful place to watch a game and the atmosphere is second to none. Buzzing to be back there on Sunday for the first time in the premier league since I was 15 (FFS!). Tickets are rarer than rocking horse shit with neither of the first two home games making it to general sale. 

with the redevelopment planned, it should just enhance the game day experience for those lucky enough to get a ticket. 
    Leeds plans are to do likewise - plans are to take it up to a 55K capacity, with work to all 4 stands to be staged bit by bit

I've had a membership for many many years now, so priority on tickets after season ticket sales - But now it is still a lottery as to availability - Logged in the other day to buy and you are allocated a queue position on an adhoc basis - 3K tickets available and I was in queue position 12K, so no chance - There is currently a 20K waiting list for season tickets 
    joneve said:
    joneve said:
    Hope you lose!!!  
    If we do, as long as I can see progress from Newcastle, I won’t be too disappointed. I don’t expect us to compete much before October, due to the overhaul we’ve had to make of the squad; as they will need time to gel and find the right starting XI
    Well I hope that we bring on all our new signings and they have a proper chance at a game where the ridiculous financial might of Man City doesn't suffocate any chance of a fair game.

There's talk of us getting Eric Bailley from Man Utd which would be a good signing for us. 
    joneve said:
    joneve said:
    Hope you lose!!!  
    Well I hope that we bring on all our new signings and they have a proper chance at a game where the ridiculous financial might of Man City doesn't suffocate any chance of a fair game.

There's talk of us getting Eric Bailley from Man Utd which would be a good signing for us. 
    Us being at home will help our lads massively, as it will be an incredible atmosphere…we had zero (ZERO) midfield on Saturday, so any semblance of being able to link defence and attack would be a huge win :D 

I’ll take a point every day of the week at this point in time. We still have more signings to bring in before the end of the window, so hopefully we can still strengthen the positions of weakness (DM and left wingback mostly), and use the next few games to work it all out whilst picking up a point here and there. 

I also hope Antonio’s injury is enough to keep him out of the game. Our ex-players have a habit of scoring against us 
    tFB Trader
    joneve said:
    joneve said:
    Hope you lose!!!  

Another example of a player who is not crap, but somehow becomes 'crap' - ditto Lindelof - Look how much 'better' Smalling became when he changed his shirt 

I'm still baffled as to how Coady was allowed to leave Wolves and became 'not wanted' by Lage
  • BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2091
    joneve said:
    joneve said:
    Hope you lose!!!  

Another example of a player who is not crap, but somehow becomes 'crap' - ditto Lindelof - Look how much 'better' Smalling became when he changed his shirt 

I'm still baffled as to how Coady was allowed to leave Wolves and became 'not wanted' by Lage
    EB isn’t crap at Utd, he just can’t make it in to the starting 11 for some reason. Most probably because we spent so much on Maguire, that the club is hoping he will come good soon. 

I think Utd’s best pairing last season was Lindelof and EB. 

Truth is, none of them would get in to Liverpool or City, and to compete we only needs players who can. 
    edited August 2022
    I kind of get what you mean, although I'm guessing you've never had to go to West Brom in November
    I’ve been to The Hawthorns a few times… the last being December 2019, so not far off.    I like the ground, but the surrounding area is dismal.  Ended up in literally the worst pub I’ve ever been in… on a main road about half a mile from the ground.  Possibly The Royal Oak? Anyway, it was rotten - although the locals were friendly, which was a pleasant surprise.   =)
  • RobDavies said:
    I kind of get what you mean, although I'm guessing you've never had to go to West Brom in November
    I’ve been to The Hawthorns a few times… the last being December 2019, so not far off.    I like the ground, but the surrounding area is dismal.  Ended up in literally the worst pub I’ve ever been in… on a main road about half a mile from the ground.  Possibly The Royal Oak? Anyway, it was rotten - although the locals were friendly, which was a pleasant surprise.   =)
    If you go again, go to The Vine but get there early otherwise you won't get a seat or standing space to eat your curry or tikka bbq stuff. Makes the surrounding hell hole all worth it :)
    edited August 2022

RobDavies said:

I can see every single thing that happens on the pitch. I'm far away, and it's not the chicken run at the Boleyn but I never feel like I can't see what's going on. I took a friend with me and he commented on how it was a great view. He preferred it to Palace who he went to last season. I've never been so I can't comment.

We had a couple of young guys from Alaska studying at LSE sit next to us on Sunday. 
    Each to their own… I won’t pay for this view again, but I’d happily be at Selhurst again this season if I wasn’t on holiday.  :shrug:

edited August 2022
    RobDavies said:

RobDavies said:

Each to their own… I won’t pay for this view again, but I’d happily be at Selhurst again this season if I wasn’t on holiday.  :shrug:

I see nothing wrong with that considering the capacity of the stadium. I'm literally to the right of that in the block next to the away fans.

You also have to remember those seats are £320 a year. Where can you watch Premier League football every other week for that? Including European? 

If you were further down you'd have seen much more, it does make a big difference I'll give you that. But considering the price for home fan season tickets, who can complain?

I was at that game. Apart from all the diving and time wasting ( ;) ) you guys pressed excellently. A deserved win. 
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4001
    Glory glory Man United! 

I had a cheeky bet on a Brentford win. Didn’t expect it to be settled in the first half! 

Well done the Bees. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4697
    CHRISB50 said:
    Glory glory Man United! 

I had a cheeky bet on a Brentford win. Didn’t expect it to be settled in the first half! 

Well done the Bees. 
    Half-time.  Bloody hell.  :o

• BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3162
    beeeeeeeeelieve
    That is insane. What is going on at that club? They have good players, a good manager. Are they going to sack him if this continues??? 
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 2921
    RobDavies said:
    Possibly The Royal Oak? Anyway, it was rotten - although the locals were friendly, which was a pleasant surprise.   =)
    The Waggon and Horses (in nearby Smethwick) is the worst pub I've ever been in.. it was literally rotten and got closed down. The Royal Oak is the Ritz in comparison :)

Now I'm an oldun I just get in the car and drive home straight after the game. I can't be bothered with all the messing about in pubs.. although I do love a mixed grill.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• RobDavies said:
    Possibly The Royal Oak? Anyway, it was rotten - although the locals were friendly, which was a pleasant surprise.   =)
    The Waggon and Horses (in nearby Smethwick) is the worst pub I've ever been in.. it was literally rotten and got closed down. The Royal Oak is the Ritz in comparison :)

Now I'm an oldun I just get in the car and drive home straight after the game. I can't be bothered with all the messing about in pubs.. although I do love a mixed grill.
    Is the Waggon the bright blue one with the plastic windows and no furniture where people just stand outside?