Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Football Thread. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    9am Thursday morning - Fixtures are out for PL teams 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7708
    I see that Perez, father of the galactic era and architect of the European super league is moaning that life is not fair for poor little real madrid
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    West Ham v Man City. Be amazing to see future Ballon D'or winner Haaland score 9 goals against us. 
    tFB Trader
    West Ham v Man City. Be amazing to see future Ballon D'or winner Haaland score 9 goals against us. 
    Will be interesting to see how many goals he gets in the PL next year - I dare say a sure fire bet for the golden boot as far as the bookies are concerned 

Part of me says they don't actually need him in order to win the PL - Based on how many points and goals they score without a #9 - But will probably be the icing on the cake as far as Citeh are concerned for the CL
  • bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1591
    Pep hasn't delivered the big trophy that he's was employed to do, that they broke the bank repeatedly to do, and fudged FFP rules to do... This new big lad up front must surely help towards that...
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    I sure wish Haarland had gone somewhere else. The Prem is in danger of becoming a one horse race, and that would be a disaster. Actually it already is! City having won 4 of the last 5. We need other winners!

I'm hoping that Haarland somehow unbalances the side and their playing but I guess it's a long shot. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I was just looking back at the 2015/16 season. That was a weird one!

Unbelievably Leicester won!!!!!
    Arsenal 2nd
    Spurs 3rd
    Man C down in 4th
    Man U 5th
    Southampton 6th!!!!!!!

Liverpool right down in 8th and Chelsea 10th!
    yeah we (Spurs) blew our best shot that year...
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    edited June 2022
    axisus said:
    I was just looking back at the 2015/16 season. That was a weird one!

Unbelievably Leicester won!!!!!
    Arsenal 2nd
    Spurs 3rd
    Man C down in 4th
    Man U 5th
    Southampton 6th!!!!!!!

Liverpool right down in 8th and Chelsea 10th!
    That's bizarre, I wouldn't have remembered any of those places other than Leicester's.  All I had was a vague memory that Spurs had a couple of good seasons around then.

And crikey, six years gone by already!
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    Pep hasn't delivered the big trophy that he's was employed to do, that they broke the bank repeatedly to do, and fudged FFP rules to do... This new big lad up front must surely help towards that...
    What does that mean? The fudged the rules?
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    tony99 said:

I guess I'm referring to how they keep managing to evade any punishment for FFP breaches for one reason or another. 

The whole "income via sponsorship" is blatantly abused I reckon..   and no doubt they're not alone in this area.
    My trading feedback

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tony99 said:

I guess I'm referring to how they keep managing to evade any punishment for FFP breaches for one reason or another. 

The whole "income via sponsorship" is blatantly abused I reckon..   and no doubt they're not alone in this area.
    Have they breached FFP?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tony99 said:
    tony99 said:

Have they breached FFP?
    I can't tell if you are being deliberately provocative or are genuinely unaware of the history behind my personal musings...  Maybe they did, maybe they didn't but the topic doesn't go away.

I believe there has been a number of historic allegations made by entities more savvy than I, German press for one, never mind the recent spate... I daresay all bourne of jealousy.. but bold statements regardless.

A quick search finds these sound bites...
    A Champions League expulsion was issued at one point.
    A fine was issued and a squad cap. 
    CAS wanted to investigate, were told they couldn't but that was overruled, ultimately it all came to naught...

If you search you can find ta lot more details of it all.. make of it what you will...  I suppose they are innocent until proven guilty.

My trading feedback

• TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    tony99 said:

Have they breached FFP?
    You might ask whether FFP rules are defined in such a way  that breaches are clearly and unarguably definable.
    ;)

If the rules are defined in a way that is open to interpretation, then arguments will always take place in the grey areas, and there will always be "speculation" about how the rules have (or have not) been applied and what factors influenced those decisions.

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    . make of it what you will...  I suppose they are innocent until proven guilty.
    Then I guess we agree.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    TTony said:
    tony99 said:

Have they breached FFP?
    You might ask whether FFP rules are defined in such a way  that breaches are clearly and unarguably definable.
    ;)

If the rules are defined in a way that is open to interpretation, then arguments will always take place in the grey areas, and there will always be "speculation" about how the rules have (or have not) been applied and what factors influenced those decisions.

Far more eloquently put that I could dream of...  but yeah "fudged"
    My trading feedback

• bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    Mane's off then 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    tony99 said:
    No they were completely honest and above board with all financial dealings. Of course they were. 
    tony99 said:
    No they were completely honest and above board with all financial dealings. Of course they were. 
    that's good though isn't it?
    tony99 said:
    tony99 said:
    that's good though isn't it?
    If it were true. 
    tFB Trader
    TTony said:
    tony99 said:

Have they breached FFP?
    ;)

A clever response and remember if 1 is absolutely right and 100 is absolutely wrong, then lawyers make a fortune out of the 99 in the middle  - Who owns the clubs and who sponsors the stadium + club brand, at such an exorbitant fee that ensures FFB is within the appropriate boundaries - And who owns the country that owns both the above 

Mind you it is one up one the previous owner Thaksin Shinawatr - A nice man who was declared honorary president before Interpol wanted him - obviously managed to by pass the fit and proper PL ownership requirements 
    bertie said:
    Mane's off then 
    Yeah, shame for Liverpool.

I'm not a L'pool fan, but seriously I want anyone but Man City to win the Prem next season.

• LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1024
    We've signed this Fabio Vieira guy, for £34.5m I think. He looks sleight and skinny so I hope he's going to be training hard in the gym pre-season otherwise he's gonna get bullied off the ball. I've never seen him play before though so got no idea on what to expect. Supposedly an attacking midfielder, who will provide some competition for Odegaard. But more aggressive apparently. Reports going that we want to sign Raphina from Leeds but I don't really want him. Attitude and temperament questionable. Talks over signing Gabriel Jesus are progressing, we do need a couple of strikers despite Nketiah signing a new deal.

Looks like Edu and Arteta aren't messing around though getting the business done early.
    My order of preference, as a Spurs fan;

1.  Sell Ndombelazygit.
    2.  No takers?  Loan out Ndombelazygit.  Somewhere far away.
    3.  Swap Ndombelazygit for some lockdown pasta & a couple of loo rolls.
        (Levy is a good negotiator - one of the loo rolls might even be unused).
    4.  Damn, it’s a hard market.  Give away Ndombelazygit.
    5.  New right wing / back please.  Bye bye Emerson “what’s a cross” Royal.
    6.  New Centre Forward so Mr Kane doesn’t have to play every minute of every damn match.
    7.  Loan out the entire U23 squad to Norwich for the season.
       (It worked brilliantly for Skipp, it might work just as well for a couple of others too)
       ((And Norwich could get promoted again))

And don’t, under any circumstances, buy any expensive (>£30m) foreign “star”.  They never work out well.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    TTony said:

1.  Sell Ndombelazygit.

isnt he already on loan to Lyon ?
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    bertie said:
    TTony said:

1.  Sell Ndombelazygit.

isnt he already on loan to Lyon ?
    Was last season.

For some unfathomable* reason, they decided not to take up the option to make the loan permanent.

*There might be a clue in point1, above.
    edited June 2022
    I propose we need another centre half and a creative midfielder too... wave goodbye to Winks and Davidson Sanchez
    My trading feedback

I propose we need another centre half and a creative midfielder too... wave goodbye to Winks and Davidson Sanchez
    Yup, I fear Winks' time is up - which is a shame (IMHO) because he's an old-school type of player who  (IMHO again) would always do absolutely everything he could for the team (c/f Ndombelazygit) whenever he played.

And is a good pro role model off the pitch too.

Think he's another who lost confidence somewhere along the way which affected his game and turned him into a risk-averse sideways-passer rather than the more adventurous attacking midfielder that we saw glimpses of.

tFB Trader
    TTony said:
    Yup, I fear Winks' time is up - which is a shame (IMHO) because he's an old-school type of player who  (IMHO again) would always do absolutely everything he could for the team (c/f Ndombelazygit) whenever he played.

Think he's another who lost confidence somewhere along the way which affected his game and turned him into a risk-averse sideways-passer rather than the more adventurous attacking midfielder that we saw glimpses of.

Agree - he looked a useful player 2/3 years ago - A few months ago I'd have said he was the type of player we should buy but think we are getting options now in place - I can imagine a Brighton, Brentford, Soton make a move for him - Might be a useful exchange deal with Soton for Ward P
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 2983
    edited June 2022
    TTony said:

Agree - he looked a useful player 2/3 years ago - A few months ago I'd have said he was the type of player we should buy but think we are getting options now in place - I can imagine a Brighton, Brentford, Soton make a move for him - Might be a useful exchange deal with Soton for Ward P

Brentford wouldn’t touch him with a barge pole. 

2 goals and 3 assists in 128 appearances, 26 yrs old and probably on over 100k per week.    He’s absolutely bang average. It’s got Fulham all over it.  

He was nice to the old dears in that Spurs documentary though, so yeah… there’s that.