Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Wordle? - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Wordle?

What's Hot

Comments

• I use BEANO as my first word, to try and ascertain which vowels are in the target word.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    edited January 2022
    I use BEANO as my first word, to try and ascertain which vowels are in the target word.

Alone has same vowels and better chance of being the answer.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 25239
    edited January 2022
    I use BEANO as my first word, to try and ascertain which vowels are in the target word.

IDEAL is mine, usually followed by POURS if there aren't already two vowel matches.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • LPManic said:
    The trick really is to use as many vowels and s t r letters in your first guess? That’s my pseudo approach anyhow.

That's correct. AUDIO followed by STREP often hits the "in 3" spot.
  • LPManic said:
    The trick really is to use as many vowels and s t r letters in your first guess? That’s my pseudo approach anyhow.

That's correct. AUDIO followed by STREP often hits the "in 3" spot.
    Oh yeah, I like AUDIO, great choice!

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    JerkMoans said:
    mrkb said:
    In 3 today, only fourth letter incorrect in 2nd guess.
    Was it a 'T'? D 
    I almost tried that just to see if it would work. 

I nicked AUDIO off here. My son was getting 3 or 4 with AUDIO then WELSH which worked well for me today. If you have most of the letters and there are two or more words which fit the pattern as there were today there’s a bit of luck. 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 5625
    So far, I'm trying to avoid a 'system' - to keep it fun. So each day, I try a new starter word.

Also: I noticed there's a 'hard' setting for the puzzle. AFAICS, once you have discovered each letter you are then obliged to use it in subsequent guesses.
  • Switch625Switch625 Frets: 560
    ASSES is a good way to start. Got me 2 letters right away.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33263
    edited January 2022
    Aries is a good one to start with 3 vowels with commonly used letters (S R), and S on the end, which is a common too.

Union, Value, Piano are ok.
    Quiet is not.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    5 today. I basically use hard mode after my first two guesses anyway, but not sure I want to be strictly limited to it. 

I included DAISY after a word with a Y the other day, but I agree it's not always helpful. I'd need to switch for something else with the same other letters though. I think H might be a good one to add as it's in so many compound sounds; DASHI is available in the longlist. Something with an N might also be good as that's also used in "NG" and "ND" as well as on its own. Maybe I'll try SNOUT and IRADE for a bit
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 2424
    To be fair, I think most of us will get this every day now.

If you get in 1 that's luck, in 2 then it's mainly luck, in 3 a good amount of luck, you should get it in 4, you should definitely get it in 5, if it takes you 6 then you've probably made a schoolboy error somewhere (like using the same wrong letters twice).

If you don't get it on one particular day then you probably need more sleep, if you don't get it...ever...then it may be a good thing to update your English skills.

Wordle needs to do a 6 letter version!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    4. Tough one today 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Get in! 3rd attempt on a tricky word :)
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1522
    Yep tough. 4 today, compared with my 2 of yesterday.  
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33263
    4 today.

That was annoying.
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1726
    5 today. That was mean. 
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    scraped it in 6, final word was because that was the best guess from the 8 letters I had left. 
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • Crap that was difficult, on the final attempt. 
  • In 4 today.  Two green with my starter word helped a bit!
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1252
    All 6.  I got the first 3 letters in the right places on my second attempt, and with so many remaining possible letters there's a lot of luck involved after that point.  Maybe it's a good idea to use another guess to try to find/eliminate 5 new letters even though you won't solve it, rather than 1 or 2 at a time whilst you go down the list of possible solutions.
  • Got it in 4.
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    Maybe if we are finding it easy, switch the setting to hard, then you have to use the clues it gives you I.e. can’t keep making different new words to find letters. I’m finding that more mentally challenging / fun
  • Oho...got it in 3 today!
    <space for hire>
  • Took me 5 attempts today, I found it so hard I nearly had someone else do it for me
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited January 2022
    Okay I'm stuck... help?

Edit - removed
  • Oi!  Spoilers, @Switch625 !

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

Whoops, sorry. I thought it was random for everybody?
  • Nope - same word for everyone each day.

D'oh! Sorry.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603

Although I thought I was stuck after 4. If it was against the clock I'd have lost. 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break.