Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). UFOs are here.. get your tin hats on folks. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

UFOs are here.. get your tin hats on folks.

What's Hot

Comments

• 2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    edited May 2021
    I believe in the possibility that alien life has existed. I believe in the possibility that alien life will exist. But I think that it’s very possible that due to scarcity resulting from creating the conditions to become spacefaring, the Fermi Paradox, the vastness of space, the limitations of science for lightspeed travel that there may not be intergalactic civilisations, and there may not be any significant civilisations around at the same time as us. 

UFOs can be anything. My friend says he saw a UFO. A big triangular object in the sky. He doesn’t know what it was, can’t find any recognisable object online except for some sketches of some suspected alien spacecraft and he thinks it was too big and silent to be human. 

1. He’s not an aviation or military expert. 
    2. It was pitch black at night
    3. If this was alien spacecraft, why did they have lights flashing? Do they want to be seen?

People ignore the right questions for the one that seems sexy. Which is, was it an alien ship? Probably not. No. 

I love all things alien and sci if. I’d love there to be more out there, and I’m very open to the possibility of it but there quite possibly isn’t anything more than us, and there’s literally no evidence to say there is. Ultimately, believing in anything without evidence is no different to saying you believe in unicorns or fairies. 

And everyone has a smart phone. Where’s all the footage of these abductions, the ships, the encounters?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermi_paradox
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5218
    A UFO can’t be a UFO because it’s a UFO. 

I meant April. ~ Simon Weir

Bit of trading feedback here.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17130
    Aliens are watching Siraxeman.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    I believe in the possibility that alien life has existed. I believe in the possibility that alien life will exist. But I think that it’s very possible that due to scarcity resulting from creating the conditions to become spacefaring, the Fermi Paradox, the vastness of space, the limitations of science for lightspeed travel that there may not be intergalactic civilisations, and there may not be any significant civilisations around at the same time as us.

I love all things alien and sci if. I’d love there to be more out there, and I’m very open to the possibility of it but there quite possibly isn’t anything more than us, and there’s literally no evidence to say there is.
    I think we are probably the only advanced life in the universe, and certainly in this part of it where others could reach us.

I don’t doubt at all that there is primitive life on any planet with suitable conditions, but the step from that to complex multicellular life is staggeringly high. It happened only once on Earth, after billions of years of primitive life existing. We know that because all life on Earth we know of shares a common DNA family tree and hence a single common ancestor.

If we could find just one single lifeform on Earth that isn’t related to all the rest that would no longer be true and there would be a near-certain probability of higher forms of life elsewhere, but until we do it’s effectively zero.

The universe is also still very young - only around three times the age of the Earth itself. Even if the odds of complex life developing aren’t quite that low, there hasn’t been that much time. We are most likely the first.

So in other words, I don’t actually believe there are aliens.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.” - Arthur C. Clarke

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    ICBM said:

I love all things alien and sci if. I’d love there to be more out there, and I’m very open to the possibility of it but there quite possibly isn’t anything more than us, and there’s literally no evidence to say there is.
    I think we are probably the only advanced life in the universe, and certainly in this part of it where others could reach us.

I don’t doubt at all that there is primitive life on any planet with suitable conditions, but the step from that to complex multicellular life is staggeringly high. It happened only once on Earth, after billions of years of primitive life existing. We know that because all life on Earth we know of shares a common DNA family tree and hence a single common ancestor.

If we could find just one single lifeform on Earth that isn’t related to all the rest that would no longer be true and there would be a near-certain probability of higher forms of life elsewhere, but until we do it’s effectively zero.

The universe is also still very young - only around three times the age of the Earth itself. Even if the odds of complex life developing aren’t quite that low, there hasn’t been that much time. We are most likely the first.

So in other words, I don’t actually believe there are aliens.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.” - Arthur C. Clarke

It’s very possible. Yes. It’s also possible that we aren’t. All outcomes are likely, unlikely, possible, probable. 

Ultimately any declaration of belief in something is akin to faith. Keep looking, stay open to it, but until you show me evidence I’ll believe nothing. 

We probably aren’t that advanced in reality. We’re young, like adolescents in our journey. 

We’re like the characters in The Lord of The Flies. Squabbling, petty, warring, argumentative and vindictive. If the rules of the our evolution are universal maybe we’re better off alone. 
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3112
    If you really believe, you can invest in the entertainment, pseudoscience company behind all the current UFO PR and US lobbying...  they need the cash. 

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1710274/000114420419034515/tv525071_253g2.htm

To The Stars...

The Entertainment Division is composed of the company’s wholly-owned subsidiary TTS, a brand manager and vertically integrated business that licenses and creates original intellectual property brought to life by award-winning content creators. Spanning film, television, books, music, art, and merchandise, fans find themselves immersed in exciting stories that inspire a new understanding and appreciation for the profound mysteries of our universe. With the company’s unique access to both credible and incredible information collected by our team of experts, TTS offers informed storytelling where the line between science and science fiction is blurred.”......   Literally in most videos...

There’s money in those clicks and views.  Be entertained but don't believe you are being accurately informed or that the ‘evidence’ in circulation is not massively doctored to create a ‘media product.’   We are coopted into their social strategy right now after their media success of getting a populist US republican senator, desperate for some distraction, onboard.    Instead of talking about beating back covid or fixing real world social or economic issues, we will all be talking UFOs and ‘big government conspiracy’ all summer..  Perfect!  Keep the idiots entertained.. bread, circuses and.... aliens.

https://www.skeptic.com/reading_room/pentagon-ufos-to-the-stars-academy-ttsa-ufo-media-frenzy/

The Mars missions happening right now are the real search for off world life.  Fascinating.. but will get 0.01% of the attention of an out of focus aircraft navigation light.    Sad.

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7159
      Fascinating.. but will get 0.01% of the attention of an out of focus aircraft navigation light.    Sad.

They found mushrooms didnt they?
      Fascinating.. but will get 0.01% of the attention of an out of focus aircraft navigation light.    Sad.

They found mushrooms didnt they?
    Don’t get me started.... :) 
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 6724
    I don't find it impossible to believe that somewhere out there, theres a planet similar to ours close enough to another sun to have life on it. 
    Maybe they're only at an early stage. Maybe they've got space dinosaurs. Maybe they're big brains in a tub of blue goo.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited May 2021
    DefaultM said:
    I don't find it impossible to believe that somewhere out there, theres a planet similar to ours close enough to another sun to have life on it. 
    Maybe they're only at an early stage. Maybe they've got space dinosaurs. Maybe they're big brains in a tub of blue goo.
    Well, yea when making guesses you can literally say anything and it’s all as improbable as anything else lol.  You could say the flying monkey crab dog. :lol: 
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 2424
    We could well be the most intelligent species in the universe or we could be primitive to others in comparison. We know a lot about maths and physics and we're discovering more or all the time. What was it that Cern guy said a few years ago? Something like 'We were out at sea looking at the shore in the distance, now we are on the beach'. This was on discovering something that nobody understood even after they'd broken it down into 'dark matter for dummies'.

I've no doubt there's intelligent life out there. Even a bit of rock like ours, circling a star like ours, that's a few thousand years older, will surely have moved on from being 'on the beach' and will have mastered gravity, light speed travel and maybe more than we have even thought of yet. Look how far we've come scientifically in just a few hundred years. Imagine would a species could do if it were a million years ahead.  For sure, for some that will mean their demise, they peak somewhere we are and then destroy themselves. But those who can 'find a way' to not do that, then they're going to a pretty advanced species with a million years head start.

They may well have been visiting us for years. Not sure why they haven't made themselves known, perhaps they just don't think we're ready. After all, we're pretty great at maths and physics but bloody awful at getting along with one another. We are getting better slowly. In time we might show our galactic 'watchers' that we're worthy of communication with them and won't be going to war if they upset us in any way.

Or it could all just be the military messing around.

It would be pretty awesome though if Antarctica did reveal some hidden secrets from our ancient past or life was discovered on Mars, even if only a fossil and no more than a single cell.

Shrews said:

It would be pretty awesome though if Antarctica did reveal some hidden secrets from our ancient past or life was discovered on Mars, even if only a fossil and no more than a single cell.
    Finding any kind of cellular life on Mars would be absolutely game-changing even if it was primitive or fossil - proving that it can arise independently in more than one place. If so, there is certainly complex life elsewhere.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 6724
    DefaultM said:
    Well, yea when making guesses you can literally say anything and it’s all as improbable as anything else lol.  You could say the flying monkey crab dog. :lol: 
    Well yeah, it's so massive out there that I reckon I can just say there's something and guess at what it is, and still be more right than someone that says there's nothing haha.

I hope aliens don't come here. Imagine travelling light years to get here, and then seeing some knob going 70 in a 30 to get 3 second ahead of the next car at the traffic lights.
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5218
    DefaultM said:
    I hope aliens don't come here. Imagine travelling light years to get here, and then seeing some knob going 70 in a 30 to get 3 second ahead of the next car at the traffic lights.
    They won’t. Think about it. If aliens do exist and they started off and went through the same evolutionary process as we did, then they are much like we are. 

They won’t get out of their own solar system before they’ve finished screwing each other over, killing each other over a piece of turf, different colour skin or alternative belief system or destroying their own habitat for the sake of making a load of space-bucks. 

I meant April. ~ Simon Weir

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8107
    If they come here we can only hope they're friendly. More Clanger than Klingon. 
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 5625
    I want to believe. (Except for that whole probing thing).
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6565
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    Shrews said:

Finding any kind of cellular life on Mars would be absolutely game-changing even if it was primitive or fossil - proving that it can arise independently in more than one place. If so, there is certainly complex life elsewhere.
    It may not be independent though, it's possible that material from one world could seed another nearby.
    https://www.space.com/22577-earth-life-from-mars-theory.html
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 1988
    ICBM said:
    Shrews said:

I wouldn't be surprised if simple life was all over place in the universe. Just look at the inhospitable environments that simple microbes live in on earth. If you can get life living on underwater volcanic vents expelling superheated something or other in total darkness and ridiculous pressure, just floating about in interstellar space must be a doddle.

In fact, loads of microbial life was probably ejected into space when the big asteroid wiped out the dinosaurs. It's most likely made its way to Mars now where it will be discovered by the latest landers.

SteveRobinson said:

It may not be independent though, it's possible that material from one world could seed another nearby.
    That's going to be too early to be multi-cellular life though - that didn't occur on Earth until only about 600 million years ago. That's the huge step which is the difference between basic life - which I think is likely to be quite common in the universe - and complex life, which I think isn't.

If it took almost three billion years for life to make that step, on a planet perfectly suited to it and teeming with primitive life - so much so that they actually changed the composition of the atmosphere - it's not something that happens easily or often at all... in fact it did only once. That makes me think that it's a vanishingly rare event.

• grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3165
    edited May 2021
    It’s claimed there’s about 5 billion habitable planets in just the milky way, then factor in the vastness of space ( other galaxies etc) that number goes up and up. I think Brian Cox on the Joe Rogan podcast said something like there’s 2 trillion galaxies and he couldn’t believe this (meaning our unique collection of atoms forming meaningful existence) hasn’t occurred somewhere else, how often and how widely spaced are the civilisations is maybe why none of us are aware of each other. 
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 21788
    TTony said:
    I find the thought that our human race might be more intelligent than any other life form that may exist in space deeply disturbing and sad
    I find the thought that our human race might be more intelligent than any other life form that may exist on this planet quite sad.

Are we the best that evolution could manage?  Might as well give up on evolution and let a supreme being get on with it instead.
    If we are the smart ones though, think how gullible the aliens will be when it comes to gear sales. You hear the sound of aliens arriving, I hear the sound of flogging original Earth made Metal Zones at 200 credits a pop to some Vulcans. 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7159
    ICBM said:
    Shrews said:

I wasnt taking the piss..they seriously think perseverance might have found mushrooms
    edited May 2021
    grungebob said:
    It’s claimed there’s about 5 billion habitable planets in just the milky way, then factor in the vastness of space ( other galaxies etc) that number goes up and up. I think Brian Cox on the Joe Rogan podcast said something like there’s 2 trillion galaxies and he couldn’t believe this (meaning our unique collection of atoms forming meaningful existence) hasn’t occurred somewhere else, how often and how widely spaced are the civilisations is maybe why none of us are aware of each other. 
    I saw him live and he said he felt that it’s quite possible due to the conditions required, and the sacrifices that are needed to become spacefaring that while other civilisations may exist or have existed, that they end up making their planet uninhabitable in the pursuit of becoming spacefaring, so life in the universe may be more rare than we expect. Essentially Fermi Paradox stuff. 

I think that people don’t realise that without evidence, there is no real basis for life anywhere else just because we find it unfathomable to think that there isn’t.

It really is as probable that there’s nothing as there is something.
    edited May 2021
    ICBM said:
    Shrews said:

I wasnt taking the piss..they seriously think perseverance might have found mushrooms
    Which ‘They’?

It’s very well researched geology.. referred to as ‘blueberries’ by the Mars teams because of the false colour imaging used. Identical process and weathering effect produces same here.   It is evidence of abundant past water though.   You can see the same metallic nodules on some sandstone beaches in the UK.  

https://youtu.be/etJvMq-QWlY for the actual science and some earth examples.  Hematite.. Mars is extremely iron rich.. why it is rust red. 

https://www.cnet.com/news/sorry-nasa-photos-are-not-evidence-of-fungus-growing-on-mars/

Suggest you need to find another ‘they’ to listen to...  the BS dumbs us all down.

There are great science journals and reputable papers more fascinating than the idiots’ made up stories.   
  • JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 607
    ICBM said:
    SteveRobinson said:

That's going to be too early to be multi-cellular life though - that didn't occur on Earth until only about 600 million years ago. That's the huge step which is the difference between basic life - which I think is likely to be quite common in the universe - and complex life, which I think isn't.

If it took almost three billion years for life to make that step, on a planet perfectly suited to it and teeming with primitive life - so much so that they actually changed the composition of the atmosphere - it's not something that happens easily or often at all... in fact it did only once. That makes me think that it's a vanishingly rare event.

Can we be certain it only happened once on Earth? It seems possible that multicellular life could have arisen independently on other occasions, but was unable to compete with the already existing organisms and so died out very quickly without leaving a trace in the fossil record. I.e. the existence of established and well adapted multicellular life has a suppressing effect on the ability of a different variety to emerge.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Jeremiah said:

Can we be certain it only happened once on Earth? It seems possible that multicellular life could have arisen independently on other occasions, but was unable to compete with the already existing organisms and so died out very quickly without leaving a trace in the fossil record. I.e. the existence of established and well adapted multicellular life has a suppressing effect on the ability of a different variety to emerge.
    That wouldn't explain why it took nearly 3 billion years for it to happen in the first place. Multicellular life had such a huge advantage over its more primitive competition, that as soon as it occurred it took over the whole planet within an extremely short time period, which is known as the 'Cambrian Explosion' - so it's extremely unlikely that it happened more than once, even without there being no other family trees. I would say we can be sure it didn't.

The real problem with trying to judge whether it means there is or is not other advanced alien life is that it's really dividing one infinity by another and trying to tell if the result is larger or smaller than 1...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 2424
    Going back to the OP's video which I've just watched through and those two guys are credible guys aren't they? They're not crackpots conspiracy types looking to sell their new books, they appear to be for real.

The two bits of note for me were where the one says they're 'getting bolder' and that they swarmed around a warship out at sea! That's scary stuff, that's making yourselves known isn't it?  If the Russians, North Korea, China etc had developed such technology then they surely wouldn't be advertising it so blatantly.

More to come methinks. 

• KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8107
    Shrews said:
    Going back to the OP's video which I've just watched through and those two guys are credible guys aren't they? They're not crackpots conspiracy types looking to sell their new books, they appear to be for real.

The two bits of note for me were where the one says they're 'getting bolder' and that they swarmed around a warship out at sea! That's scary stuff, that's making yourselves known isn't it?  If the Russians, North Korea, China etc had developed such technology then they surely wouldn't be advertising it so blatantly.

More to come methinks. 

The original Klaatu version is much better and even more germane to the thread. (The Day The Earth Stood Still)  :)
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 5625
    If they've got two arms and two legs, and look just like us but with forehead ridges, I'm going to be a bit disappointed. Even if they have rayguns.