Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). General Gaming thread - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

General Gaming thread

What's Hot

Comments

• Is anyone playing Starfield then? 
    I'm waiting for my version which is released on 6th, so can't play it yet. 

Re: loading screens - have you played skyrim and/or Fallout?
    Yea of course. Everything since Morrowind. But you could travel from town to town and city to city and there was a feeling of a big world. You'd walk the paths and find quests, meet characters. There were loading screens but it never took away from the feeling that you were playing in a living, breathing world. The way this was presented, or at least implied was that you would have that, but in space. And is it that? Or does it feel disconnected and disjointed because the actual space faring is very limited due to cut scenes and fast travel? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I'm waiting for my version which is released on 6th, so can't play it yet. 

Re: loading screens - have you played skyrim and/or Fallout?
    The way this was presented, or at least implied was that you would have that, but in space. A

That was my understanding as well. Can't answer that one yet unfortunately. Fingers crossed it does.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    cruxiform said:

PWS is very therapeutic. I've recommended it to a couple of my patients who are in a mental health crisis, as well as gaming in general. 
    I find it very, very calming. I think the noise is part of it, but also just the you-can't-lose methodical nature of it.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Yes I'm about 16 hours in.

Currently involved in a faction questline that would have been an amazing game all on its own. And it's not even the main plotline. Totally engrossing. 

The game has a bit of a slow start, but a few hours in it blossoms into game of the year. 
    Interesting. It seems there is a very mixed reaction. Some are very disappointed with it, some loving it. I think the main complaint is that it's not what they thought it would be with all the loading screens etc. How have you found that? 
    I've found it a non issue. 

• Sporky said:
    cruxiform said:

PWS is very therapeutic. I've recommended it to a couple of my patients who are in a mental health crisis, as well as gaming in general. 
    I find it very, very calming. I think the noise is part of it, but also just the you-can't-lose methodical nature of it.

That settles it. Lawn mower simulator being downloaded as we speak. 
    Lawn Mower Simulator is pretty good. But it has more peril. 
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2318
    Starfield is a perfect example of not reading anything about the game before it's released, so you don't come away disappointed.

I deliberately didn't read any previews etc., and all I knew was that it was a large RPG in space (like Elder Scrolls, but with aliens).

So far, I am loving it. Only about 6 hours in, and still on teh first planet. While doing the geological outcrop stuff, got attacked by an alpha biomorph thing; screen went blurry and started hearing human voices screaming for help.

Killed it, then went exploring some more; found a ship that I assumed was bad guys, and went in blamming. Needless to say, they weren't pirates, so now I have a bounty. On the plus side, I have a nice new ship and a fair bit of cargo!

Really enjoying it so far; and I've heard many many people say it only gets better.

It's ready to go on my Steam Deck, as I'm in the US for 2 weeks from Sunday!
  • FarleyUK said:
    Starfield is a perfect example of not reading anything about the game before it's released, so you don't come away disappointed.

I deliberately didn't read any previews etc., and all I knew was that it was a large RPG in space (like Elder Scrolls, but with aliens).

So far, I am loving it. Only about 6 hours in, and still on teh first planet. While doing the geological outcrop stuff, got attacked by an alpha biomorph thing; screen went blurry and started hearing human voices screaming for help.

Killed it, then went exploring some more; found a ship that I assumed was bad guys, and went in blamming. Needless to say, they weren't pirates, so now I have a bounty. On the plus side, I have a nice new ship and a fair bit of cargo!

Really enjoying it so far; and I've heard many many people say it only gets better.

let me know how it runs in the deck please
    My Trading Feedback

"If it smells like shit...It is probably shit"
  • nero1701 said:
    FarleyUK said:

let me know how it runs in the deck please
    It's not Steam Verified yet and only says playable, but I've found lots of games say that and they're perfectly playable.
    I've set Starfield to pre-load, but I'm still enjoying Everspace 2. Quite tough in places - taking on anything 2 levels or more higher than you requires planning.
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 6724
    My daughter's been playing SpongeBob and Sackboy on PS5, 2 minutes at a time in between getting me to play it for her.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DefaultM said:
    My daughter's been playing SpongeBob and Sackboy on PS5, 2 minutes at a time in between getting me to play it for her.
    That's so annoying isn't it lol
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 6724
    When I was a kid I went for a tooth taking out and when I got back my Dad had got me to the last level of Sonic on Master System II with like 50 lives.
    Only now do I realise what he must have felt watching me die 50 times in a row after he did all that.
    5reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    DefaultM said:
    When I was a kid I went for a tooth taking out and when I got back my Dad had got me to the last level of Sonic on Master System II with like 50 lives.
    Only now do I realise what he must have felt watching me die 50 times in a row after he did all that.

Next time you see your dad tell him he's my hero.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • i have read that although not announced yet for a release date silent hill 2 remake is due out on 29th sept according to multiple sources this just one link to Silent Hill 2 release date speculation, gameplay, and more | PCGamesN

i must admit to really looking forward to this (so much so that my main reason for getting a ps5 is to play it).

hopefully this remake/remaster will do justice to the original (and make up for the cancellation of silent hills).

trailer for anyone who hasn't seen it yet 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyC_qiW_4ZY&t=3s

i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

• Nope. Too scary. 
  • I'm definitely up for SH2. I never played the original and it's regarded as an all-time classic so I want to see what the fuss is about. But I will be doing so in the middle of the day with the lights on thankyouverymuch

I'm assuming it won't arrive this month as they'll want more fanfare around it, not to mention not to get lost in the immense rush of stuff releasing in October, but hopefully they'll do a good job 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2318
    i have read that although not announced yet for a release date silent hill 2 remake is due out on 29th sept according to multiple sources this just one link to Silent Hill 2 release date speculation, gameplay, and more | PCGamesN

i must admit to really looking forward to this (so much so that my main reason for getting a ps5 is to play it).

hopefully this remake/remaster will do justice to the original (and make up for the cancellation of silent hills).

trailer for anyone who hasn't seen it yet 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyC_qiW_4ZY&t=3s

Disappointing there was no air-raid siren in that preview.... and who else thought it was going to burst into a piano rendition of Paint it Black?
    My new XBox controller arrived. It's quite zingy. And that's pretty quick for made-to-order. 
  • PennPenn Frets: 351
    DefaultM said:

Next time you see your dad tell him he's my hero.
    My mum was the only person in our household that ever finished sonic. 
  • This is a pretty hilarious review of Starfield. He says 50% good 50% shit. :lol:

• I really enjoyed that :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • It's not remotely a disaster. I'm about 30 hours in and it's one of the best things I've played for years. 

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    Has anyone seen this?

It seems the game's engine has tracking of all the stars, planets and their orbits always running.  It took her 7hrs to fly into the planet.  It sounds unrealistic but I guess if one imagine going from the earth's orbit to the moon, that takes longer than 7hrs?  so perhaps not too unrealistic, except that you travel in a constant speed going to the moon and not with a rocket blasting and can speed up.
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    edited September 2023
    Has anyone seen this?

It seems the game's engine has tracking of all the stars, planets and their orbits always running.  It took her 7hrs to fly into the planet.  It sounds unrealistic but I guess if one imagine going from the earth's orbit to the moon, that takes longer than 7hrs?  so perhaps not too unrealistic, except that you travel in a constant speed going to the moon and not with a rocket blasting and can speed up.
    Yea I read the Kotaku article. I guess you can sim it if you want to but good luck playing any of the game lol. 
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    edited September 2023
    It's not remotely a disaster. I'm about 30 hours in and it's one of the best things I've played for years. 
    Well, it's a matter of opinion I guess. I am looking forward to playing it but if some of the issues raised in that video are glaring then I may end up agreeing with it. It doesn't look like a disaster but it does appear to be a marmite game because of peoples expectations of what they either assumed it was going to be, or what it was presented as. It's probably somewhere in between really.

I'm going into it with an open mind and I'm looking forward to sinking some hours into it tomorrow.
    Surely it can't be worse than The Outer Worlds... 
    tFB Trader
    Sporky said:
    Yeah, I found that to be a big disappointment.

I gave up after a few hours as it was really boring.
    tFB Trader
    It's not remotely a disaster. I'm about 30 hours in and it's one of the best things I've played for years. 
    Well, it's a matter of opinion I guess. I am looking forward to playing it but if some of the issues raised in that video are glaring then I may end up agreeing with it. It doesn't look like a disaster but it does appear to be a marmite game because of peoples expectations of what they either assumed it was going to be, or what it was presented as. It's probably somewhere in between really.

I'm going into it with an open mind and I'm looking forward to sinking some hours into it tomorrow.

I wonder how much correlation there is between fans of No Man's Sky and people disappointed with Starfield.
    Sporky said:
    Yeah, I found that to be a big disappointment.

I gave up after a few hours as it was really boring.
    I finished it. I'm not sure why.