Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). General Gaming thread - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

General Gaming thread

What's Hot

Comments

• Sporky said:
    I missed Cyberpunk - worth a punt on sale I take it? I think I've got enough PC grunt to run it. 
    I've got it on PS4/5 if you want a copy?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Fuck it, I might just go back to iracing...
    My Trading Feedback

"If it smells like shit...It is probably shit"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I have Jedi 2 half done, one of the Wolfensteins loaded and ready, Mario Rabbids 2 and Metroid Prime to get into so I'm in no hurry for anything new. And Spiderman's out in a month or so? 

I usually find myself broadly in agreement with Metro for reviews and they've been quite bullish with the criticism so far. 

https://metro.co.uk/2023/09/01/our-first-evening-with-starfield-first-impressions-of-bethesdas-rpg-19425093/
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • I have Jedi 2 half done, one of the Wolfensteins loaded and ready, Mario Rabbids 2 and Metroid Prime to get into so I'm in no hurry for anything new. And Spiderman's out in a month or so? 

I usually find myself broadly in agreement with Metro for reviews and they've been quite bullish with the criticism so far. 

https://metro.co.uk/2023/09/01/our-first-evening-with-starfield-first-impressions-of-bethesdas-rpg-19425093/
    Yea that's brutal...

Obviously I haven't played it but if this is as the reviews suggest and it's mediocre, what is going on at Xbox? All those studio acquisitions and what have they produced of real quality? When was the last great exclusive released for them? Halo Infinite was okay, Forza Horizon is good but just more of the same thing really.

• DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 6724
    Ahhh, that's how Sony are paying for drop in price of console then...

As detailed at the bottom of its latest PlayStation Plus Monthly Games update, starting 6th September, UK subscribers will pay £59.99 for 12 months of PlayStation Plus Essential, up from £49.99, while 12 months of PlayStation Plus Extra increases from £83.99 to £99.99, and 12 months of PlayStation Plus Extra Premium rises from £99.99 to £119.99.

Jesus the games have been fucking gash or ones everyones already got for ages now as well.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • PennPenn Frets: 351
    I have Jedi 2 half done, one of the Wolfensteins loaded and ready, Mario Rabbids 2 and Metroid Prime to get into so I'm in no hurry for anything new. And Spiderman's out in a month or so? 

Yea that's brutal...

Obviously I haven't played it but if this is as the reviews suggest and it's mediocre, what is going on at Xbox? All those studio acquisitions and what have they produced of real quality? When was the last great exclusive released for them? Halo Infinite was okay, Forza Horizon is good but just more of the same thing really.

Yeah that’s a pretty brutal review. I’ll give it a go but it doesn’t sound great does it?

I was hoping it would be more like Red Dead Redemption 2 but in space… but its more of the same old crap it seems. I want to play games that look beautiful but also have a brilliant story that I want to play through. I suspect this is just going to be a disjointed slog. 

Like I said I’ve got game pass and I’ll try it but I’m not holding my breath. 
  • if you loved jet set radio (and i certainly did) this looks a spiritual successor (and the guy who did some of the original jsr music has done some music for this game too :-D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgCxJFMh1h8
    i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    edited September 2023 tFB Trader
    Penn said:
    I have Jedi 2 half done, one of the Wolfensteins loaded and ready, Mario Rabbids 2 and Metroid Prime to get into so I'm in no hurry for anything new. And Spiderman's out in a month or so? 

Yea that's brutal...

Yeah that’s a pretty brutal review. I’ll give it a go but it doesn’t sound great does it?

I was hoping it would be more like Red Dead Redemption 2 but in space… but its more of the same old crap it seems. I want to play games that look beautiful but also have a brilliant story that I want to play through. I suspect this is just going to be a disjointed slog. 

Like I said I’ve got game pass and I’ll try it but I’m not holding my breath. 

Ouch

I think when you look at the current state of No Man's Sky it's not really viable to release a AAA space game with disjointed travel and long loading screens.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Really enjoying Starfield so far. There's some jank, but after a slow start it gets really good.

The linked ign review in the thread is quite a big outliar, most reviews are around 9/10.

The game is not without issues - terrible inventory control for example - but it's so far from a 7/10 game. I wouldn't have published that ign review back when it was my job to do that. 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    Back To The Future DLC has been announced for Power Washer Simulator. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • 1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Power Washer Simulator is a game in which you pressure wash filth off vehicles and buildings and suchlike. It is superb. 

There is already DLC that adds Tomb Raider, Final Fantasy, and Spongebob Squarepants things to clean. The BTTF will presumably include the Delorean and other things. 
  • When you are playing a simulation of power washing a car you gotta wonder if you should be spending more time playing your guitar!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I haven't played a guitar in at least three years. 
  • That's a serious power washer simulator addiction problem right there....seek help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I play cello nearly every day!

Theres three new free bonus levels too. 
  • When you are playing a simulation of power washing a car you gotta wonder if you should be spending more time playing your guitar!
    I said something like this once and @Sporky told me off. 
    When you are playing a simulation of power washing a car you gotta wonder if you should be spending more time playing your guitar!
    I wouldn't worry about it. I tell a lot of people off for all sorts of things. Usually it's me. 

(also sorry) 
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    edited September 2023
    Sporky said:
    When you are playing a simulation of power washing a car you gotta wonder if you should be spending more time playing your guitar!
    I wouldn't worry about it. I tell a lot of people off for all sorts of things. Usually it's me. 

(also sorry) 
    Don't be. Someone had to! 
  • Sporky said:
    I play cello nearly every day!

Theres three new free bonus levels too. 
    Well I suppose that's kinda a degenerate form of guitar.....
    edited September 2023
    Can't believe the bike part is in the ffvii remake, I absolutely hate it. 

Edit: Yeah that felt just as bad as I remember it. I can't judge the distance between my bike and the enemies, and I just swipe at thin air.
    I'm at what i assume is the final battle now and im sorry but this is just utter dog shit. Why take one of the best games ever made and turn it in to something that's exactly the same as everything else? 
    I feel like every action game is the same thing. Run around in a circle rolling about but either as a pirate or a Viking or a samurai or apparently FFVII characters now.
    edited September 2023
    In the original I would just stay in one location and grind for ages, and I feel like that element has been taken out of it. 
    Perhaps they wanted to try bring it to a new audience who prefer more action game and don't want to grind turn based battles for hours to level up their materia or limit break level.

What annoys me is I know I'm going to have to buy the next one cos I still want to see how they do the story.
    DefaultM said:

I feel like every action game is the same thing. Run around in a circle rolling about but either as a pirate or a Viking or a samurai or apparently FFVII characters now.
    Maybe don't play Biomutant then. 
  • Ps5 took a bit to set up - my TV is a bit older, so it is 4k but didn't just plug and play. I had to boot into safe mode and change the copyright protection to the older version for it to work. But now it does work, it's pretty good! Quieter for sure.

Playing demons souls. It's good. Clunky as heck, which is nice really - I was worried it would play like elden ring but it's much more like ds1. Happy days. 

I can also get lawn mower simulator on my ps+ extra premium super duper sub (such a dumb sub model). May give that a go for unwinding after work, especially as I'm still having neighbourly troubles. Anything to help me not get worked up! 
  • Is anyone playing Starfield then? 
    Yes I'm about 16 hours in.

Currently involved in a faction questline that would have been an amazing game all on its own. And it's not even the main plotline. Totally engrossing. 

The game has a bit of a slow start, but a few hours in it blossoms into game of the year. 

Yes I'm about 16 hours in.

Currently involved in a faction questline that would have been an amazing game all on its own. And it's not even the main plotline. Totally engrossing. 

The game has a bit of a slow start, but a few hours in it blossoms into game of the year. 
    Interesting. It seems there is a very mixed reaction. Some are very disappointed with it, some loving it. I think the main complaint is that it's not what they thought it would be with all the loading screens etc. How have you found that? 
    I'm waiting for my version which is released on 6th, so can't play it yet. 

Re: loading screens - have you played skyrim and/or Fallout?
  • Sporky said:
    Power Washer Simulator is a game in which you pressure wash filth off vehicles and buildings and suchlike. It is superb. 

There is already DLC that adds Tomb Raider, Final Fantasy, and Spongebob Squarepants things to clean. The BTTF will presumably include the Delorean and other things. 
    PWS is very therapeutic. I've recommended it to a couple of my patients who are in a mental health crisis, as well as gaming in general.