Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). General Gaming thread - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

General Gaming thread

What's Hot

Comments

• since getting my ps5 i have been replaying horizon zero dawn and started forbidden west. i forgot how good zero dawn was (i completed it and the dlc story missions).

the new game is fantastic (have not got too far in it yet/just had a battle with different factions after a woman chief turned up atop a  sawtooth and started shit).

the giant cobra snake earlier was fantastic looking i had to say as is the whole game (not that zero dawn looks shabby).

i played about 20  mins of spiderman remastered and that game is great and looks amazing too (just all the moves i have to try to remember in my old age/ i am way of the exploding fist as opposed to streetfighter/tekken/virtua fighter etc move sets lol)    
    i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 885
    @strumjoughlamps ;
    I will see what Yakuza titles are available on XBox One. Cheers!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    edited August 2023
    duotone said:
    @strumjoughlamps ;;
    If you have GamePass, they are all on there.  Including the remake/remastered.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2725
    Any suggestions for a ps5 fps?   
    World war 2 based would good but open to ideas. 
    I've had COD MW2 for a few weeks and looking to move on.
  • PennPenn Frets: 351
    Is it just me or does Starfield not look as good as it did in the trailers?
  • John_P said:
    Any suggestions for a ps5 fps?   
    World war 2 based would good but open to ideas. 
    I've had COD MW2 for a few weeks and looking to move on.
    Hell Let Loose

Battlefield 2042
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 885
    duotone said:
    @strumjoughlamps ;;
    Would you recommend Game Pass [For Console] £8.99/month or Game Pass [Ultimate] £12.99/month?
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    Penn said:
    Yea it looks... dull. Like a more expanded No Mans Sky with some combat. I don't know if I'm that interested in it anymore. I'll read the reviews but I think that it has been misrepresented to us. 

I bought Baldurs Gate 3 for the Steam Deck and it is so boring. Graphics are low quality, there's soooo much dialogue, like a never ending amount, and the combat is extremely boring. I've asked Valve for a refund. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    duotone said:
    duotone said:
    @strumjoughlamps ;;
    Would you recommend Game Pass [For Console] £8.99/month or Game Pass [Ultimate] £12.99/month?
    I haven't checked to know the difference, i've got the Ultimate until April next year.  You can always try one to see if you find there is value and cancel if you don't want it. 

You can make it worth the money easily if you haven't had it before.  Just use the time and finish 1 game would be worth it.
  • Penn said:
    A common theme in gaming for 20+ years...

Reviews are out and most are great but a lot of the typically more honest/rigorous outlets haven't been sent advance copies, which is super shady and screams to be that Bethesda knows it ain't going to get amazing reviews across the board. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Penn said:
    Yea it looks... dull. Like a more expanded No Mans Sky with some combat. I don't know if I'm that interested in it anymore. I'll read the reviews but I think that it has been misrepresented to us. 

I bought Baldurs Gate 3 for the Steam Deck and it is so boring. Graphics are low quality, there's soooo much dialogue, like a never ending amount, and the combat is extremely boring. I've asked Valve for a refund. 

It looks like a return of old school rpgs - like fallout. I love dnd so I'm pretty jazzed for it, but it's not for everyone. I really liked Baldurs gate 1 and 2.
  • Penn said:

It looks like a return of old school rpgs - like fallout. I love dnd so I'm pretty jazzed for it, but it's not for everyone. I really liked Baldurs gate 1 and 2.
    If I remember the first two Baldurs Gates were real time action weren't they? Steam refused me a refund so I guess I'll be giving it another go anyway. 
  • Starfield reviews aren't looking spectacular at all. 

https://www.ign.com/articles/starfield-review ;
  • Was interested in both...

I'll leave starfield a month or so..
    My Trading Feedback

"If it smells like shit...It is probably shit"
  • nero1701 said:
    Was interested in both...

I'll leave starfield a month or so..
    You might like Baldurs Gate though, don't listen to me lol.  I'm definitely in a gaming funk right now. 
  • PennPenn Frets: 351
    I’ll give Starfield a go as I’ve got games pass but spending hours reading dialogue and having to trudge along grinding to build stats isn’t my thing.  

@TeleMaster I watched a review with game play last night. I don’t think it looks as good as No Man’s Sky at this point. That game wasn’t finished at launch but at least stuff like taking off/ landing was amazing and you could go anywhere on the planets. Starfield looks cyberpunk glitchy. 
  • I’ve heard Starfield described as Sci-fi Fallout 4 in space. I might leave it a good few months for the patches to fix the inevitable Bethesda day-one woes, then give it a go.   
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    edited September 2023
    I've seen the scores but not read the reviews, 'cos I like going into games without knowing much about them.

I wonder if Bethesda have just been caught-up-to and passed by too many others now. Morrowind had a non-default setting - it was fantasy, but very not-D&D. Skyrim - while brilliant - had become a lot more generic.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    edited September 2023
    I've seen a couple of reviews, it looks good but one expectation not met for me is you can't seamlessly walk your character into a ship, into a chair, then it switches to cockpit view or external view and then take off using in game engine and fly off.

And then do the opposite when landing.  A bit like GTA5, when you get into a car or a helicopter or a plane.  You just get in and fly off.

This to me is like a vital part now of a sandbox style game.  Starfield lacks this part as it goes into a cut scene, also you can't fly into and planet and through the atmosphere and land.  I know these game play elements are kinda superficial but it adds so much in terms of pulling you in.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I agree.

The reviews I've seen hover around 7/10, which is often my happy place. 
  • Sporky said:
    I've seen the scores but kit read the reviews, 'cos I like going into games without knowing much about them.

I wonder if Bethesda have just been caught-up-to and passed by too many others now. Morrowind had a non-default setting - it was fantasy, but very not-D&D. Skyrim - while brilliant - had become a lot more generic.
    From what I’ve read (albeit not detailed reviews for similarly reasons) it’s closer to Oblivion than Skyrim. The biggest criticisms I’ve seen seem to be the lack of wandering around and getting curious about [that thing over there] which is definitely something that happens a lot in their other games. 

I’m still keen to play it but will wait until some real people have played rather than just going off review scores alone
    I'll definitely be playing it - it's free on Gamepass, and that means I can play on PC while Lady BMcH plays on the Xbox. 
  • Oh yeah if I had a gaming PC or Xbox I’d 100% be playing!   But I ain’t buying either without some more views from trusted people (that mostly means you lot!)

After TOTK the last thing I really need is another game that will take 200 hours off me! 
    I will play it too and I will probably enjoy it.

If i had to pay £60 for it though....I would probably pass knowing the reviews now.  I've never played Skyrim or Oblivion, even though i own both lol

I love Cyberpunk though, put like 150hrs into that.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I missed Cyberpunk - worth a punt on sale I take it? I think I've got enough PC grunt to run it. 
    Sporky said:
    I missed Cyberpunk - worth a punt on sale I take it? I think I've got enough PC grunt to run it. 
    I think so, especially now it's patched.
    Ta. I'll stick it on wishlists. It looks like I'd like it. 
  • Sporky said:
    I agree.

The reviews I've seen hover around 7/10, which is often my happy place. 
    Generally if the consensus is under 8 I find the flaws too great to ignore. There's so many 9/10 games around that I feel that I could be playing a legit great game instead, and because there's so many good games about I have to filter them somehow, and anything under 8 unfortunately isn't considered unless I really love the franchise.

It is worth saying that IGN France, and all the other European IGN sites gave it 9/10.

https://fr.ign.com/starfield/66663/review/test-starfield-des-etoiles-plein-les-jeux
    Lady BMcH favours games that get around 6.5-6.9 - she finds the flaws charming. 
  • The thing with the Bethedsa games like Oblivion, Fallout, Skyrim etc is they are all deeply flawed games with strange combat, strange character animation, weird quests, weird AI, clunky combat, but the stories and the world they created, and the combination of all of it was great, even if it was buggy and flawed. The whole experience was great for the time because we didn't have that many fantasy open world games with that level of detail and humour etc,

But that was years ago, and the engine seems flawed now when you play it. Compare these games to Zelda, Witcher 3, Elden Ring etc and they seem of a completely different time. 

If this game is similar to that it may not be modern enough. People don't want loading screen after loading screen, are we going to accept clunky AI and dialogue if the actual space and exploration experience isn't good enough?