Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Fretboard Jam - 2017 Leicester - 2nd September - Running Order V4 Now up!! - Events Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Fretboard Jam - 2017 Leicester - 2nd September - Running Order V4 Now up!!

What's Hot

Comments

• PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    Alnico said:
    ^
    Shame we couldn't get more people involved that day.
    It's too slow, it's way too high for me to sing properly and it needed more tightness.

Nice video quality though.

It sounds like you were well above your comfortable range. Really I think anyone who isn't a natural tenor will struggle with a lot of Neil Young songs in their original key. Well done for giving it a go though :) Nice video too :)
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4610
    Plectrum said:
    Alnico said:
    ^
    Shame we couldn't get more people involved that day.
    It's too slow, it's way too high for me to sing properly and it needed more tightness.

It sounds like you were well above your comfortable range. Really I think anyone who isn't a natural tenor will struggle with a lot of Neil Young songs in their original key. Well done for giving it a go though :) Nice video too :)
    Thanks.
    It's not what I'd call something I'm proud of but I didn't know it was being posted.
    If it highlights how difficult it is to play without an experienced drummer, at the wrong tempo, with no bass guitar and a singer that can barely hit the notes in that key then it's a good thing.
    Oh yeah, and no one had ever played together. We all had varying levels of ability and after well over half the people who were going to go actually didn't, it wasn't exactly inspiring so my apologies for what comes over really badly.
    The people who did go enjoyed themselves and got a lot from it so I would hope that with a much better turnout and the right musicians we can do a lot better this time.

I'd forgotten any of that footage even existed.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Plectrum said:
    Alnico said:
    ^

Nice video too :)
    Sony HDR-AS30 provided the video, very good camera.. I use a Panasonic LX7 now which is awesome and soon be adding a Pana LX100 into the mix for 4K stuff.. I love shooting vid
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    I think that's all a bit negative @alnico.

5 guys who had never played together before.

Half a drum kit.

A guitarist randomly volunteered to play bass.

A vocalist singing out of his range.

And those bloody rugs lying there in wait to trip anyone who dare move.

What can you manage to play in 20mins (I lied about the 4hrs of practising).

I've paid good money to watch worse
    ;)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    TTony said:
    I think that's all a bit negative @alnico.

5 guys who had never played together before.

Half a drum kit.

A guitarist randomly volunteered to play bass.

A vocalist singing out of his range.

And those bloody rugs lying there in wait to trip anyone who dare move.

What can you manage to play in 20mins (I lied about the 4hrs of practising).

I've paid good money to watch worse
    ;)
    I agree with all of that, I didn't mean to cast too much of a shadow of that but I felt like I had to explain it in the terms of what it was, it was a bit of a shock watching it to be honest.
    If I chose my words poorly then fair enough but I didn't want people to think that a properly attended session with practice and organisation behind it would be the same.
    My apologies if I did.
    Update:

@TheBlueWolf has had to pull out for Family reasons so @KickTheHabit has taken his place. If Mr Habit would like to contact Mr Blue Wolf and arrange what to do with £8, that would be most obliging of him and no mistake!

The Reservist List now looks like this........

1. @adampeter ;;;;;;;;;;
    2. @shelders
    3. @paulmapp8306
    4. @AllthegearNoidea
    5. @Brocco
    ........and I'll be honest and say right now that given the 'Way of Things' I'm expecting (But not promising) all 5 of those guys to move up and get a place.
    Life is a fucker and families are often just as bad in their own lovely way. A lot of us, me included have health issues which can make life difficult for us and the people around us and there's going to be a degree of people looking at the calendar, realising they haven't got as far as they thought they would, there are less than 2 weeks and wtf am I going to do???
    I get all that.

The best thing I can find to say is that if for whatever reason you feel you don't want to play on the day, it's still totally cool to be there and try to learn from what you see. If you would rather just not do it at all or you feel that someone who would play might use your place then, well ok if that's what YOU want to do but we'd all rather see the people who've agreed to at least be there actually turn up if they can. Not going because you feel self-conscious.....what, with our lot? Have you seen us? That video is proof that in the wrong circumstances we can still do something. @Ennspek towers above me, he's fucking massive but that day he was terrified and with some encouragement and given some freedom to get the feel for it, he really enjoyed it. In the video, @Flink_Poyd is just sitting that song out but at other points, during the day he got the same kind of time where he could get a feel for what it's like playing along with other instruments going and no one felt under any pressure. What those guys got from the day was a very real sense of how it all feels. There was no way they were going to transform into rock stars that day so I wasn't expecting it which meant that what they did take away from it was utterly relevant to them.
    Even if you're having second thoughts but you think you could get something like this from the day, back out of any songs you've signed up for and just come along as one of us.
    If this actually happens, we have two rooms and I will gladly set aside 20 or 30 minutes with someone who would be able to play in some way, even if it's in room 2 and not with a full band. There'll be a lot of tech there and my laptop will have some backing tracks on which gives us a chance to do some 1-1 tuition of how to play along at tempo etc.........whatever you need we can set up and I will happily do this as long as the numbers don't get out of control.
    If this is you then please speak up but don't bottle it and not go, you'll thank me for it later if you just take my word for it for now and go anyway. If someone changes their mind about getting up and playing, that's fine. There's enough of us that could and would just step up and fill that 5-minute slot. Also don't forget a few of us can just pull out standards and improvise the whole song like we do at pub jam nights........We won't be short of material even if MOST of you decided not to play, we won't be bored or stuck for choices of what to entertain you with.

See how you feel in the next few days but even if and especially if, the practice is starting to weigh heavy on you, just stop, decide that you won't play, speak up and then relax. Go back to practising your own enjoyable way and on the day, come and see me. I'll help you with something that means you get some kind of direct tuition on playing live, somehow.
    But still, go.
    It will open your eyes and if you've never heard it in this context, your ears.

How many of you newbies have never stood on a stage with a 40w valve amp you KNOW is loud enough and you KNOW is switched on, but YOU can't hear it because of the noise of the rest of the band and the exact position you're standing in?
    I'll bet all of you don't know what this feels like.
    It means that you'll only hear your guitar when it goes wrong, or rather when YOU go wrong. So play everything right and you won't hear it. Get it wrong and you will. How do you cope with that?

Come to the jam and find out.
    Try standing next to me when I'm playing with the band and see how much of my amp you can hear as opposed to being out in front looking at the band.
    That is a lesson in playing live, all on its own.

There'll be plenty more happening as well.

See you there.

People who would like to go get your names on the reserve list. Around 8 people have got a place like that due to people having to pull out in the last 2 weeks. It will move up again.
    If anyone is on the list the day before, we'll ask you to give us your mobile number (If you want to) and we can text you if someone just doesn't show up, especially for people local to Leicester who could just pop down there. See how that one goes.

Righto, as you were.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33263
    Ok, I should probably start learning these songs on drums eh? :)
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33263
    I'm kidding- I know about half the set already from other bands (#almostlikeweplanneditthatway).
  • horsehorse Frets: 1502
    octatonic said:
    Ok, I should probably start learning these songs on drums eh? :)
    I was just preparing a playlist to make a start myself. @Bridgehouse - could you remind me where the list with the keys is please? I'm probably being daft but coildn't see the keys on the lists at the start of the 'songs' thread?
  • TheBlueWolfTheBlueWolf Frets: 1536
    I'll either stump up the £8 anyway or put it in the tFB coffers. I'll PM @KickTheHabit  :)

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24559
    @Alnico raises some good points in his post above.

We started this jam so those that felt they were stuck in a rut could try something different and kick start a new chapter in their playing.

It came from the advice that many give in those types of thread where often the advice is "join a band".

It's great advice. The problem is that there is a skill set that you need to learn that you can only develop by actually playing live with others. No matter how long or often you have played live you continue to learn. I know I do.

Playing live can be nerve wracking, challenging, frustrating and often your skill level live will be less than when practising on your own at home. You need new skills and there are new challenges.

So why bother? Because it is a thousand times more rewarding than playing at home. The thrill and buzz is addictive and the motivation it gives you to practise more, challenge yourself and develop is unsurpassed. 

Even if on in the day you only play in one song and add just a bit of rhythm I promise you will feel the buzz and it will motivate you.

You might meet some others close to you geographically and start a band. 

Either way way be assured of one thing - there will be no judgement on the day. None whatsoever. We all remember what it was like to learn F for the first time. We all remember what playing with a drummer was like for the first time. 

This is about experience, and you don't have to prove anything to anyone. Want some help on the day? Ask us.

Want to go into a quiet corner and see what it's like to play guitar accompanied by a bass? Ask me. I'm more than happy to do whatever you guys want to help with the motivation.
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1625
    Anyway I'm not massive. My chest has slipped a bit.....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    ennspek said:
    Anyway I'm not massive. My chest has slipped a bit.....
    Is that what you tell the laydees? ;)
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    It was a great experience for me at the last jam. Once you get over any fear of making a mistake, getting up, doing it and enjoying it then it becomes fun. We all make mistakes whatever level we're at, the key is to just carry on and brush it off. Im in no way the most confident player/person and If I made a mistake I cant remember anyone else, laughing, pointing or taking the piss. It wont happen.
     No one will force you to do anything you don't want to but my advice to anyone going whos a bit nervous about this is please, please, PLEASE don't just sit there and worry you're going to be judged then miss out, you won't be. I will quite happily get up and make a mistake for all to see and hear, sit in with people who just want to noodle for a bit or make the tea.
     The feeling and encouragement I got on that day was brilliant, I honestly cant wait.

Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    It was a great experience for me at the last jam. Once you get over any fear of making a mistake, getting up, doing it and enjoying it then it becomes fun. We all make mistakes whatever level we're at, the key is to just carry on and brush it off. Im in no way the most confident player/person and If I made a mistake I cant remember anyone else, laughing, pointing or taking the piss. It wont happen.
     No one will force you to do anything you don't want to but my advice to anyone going whos a bit nervous about this is please, please, PLEASE don't just sit there and worry you're going to be judged then miss out, you won't be. I will quite happily get up and make a mistake for all to see and hear, sit in with people who just want to noodle for a bit or make the tea.
     The feeling and encouragement I got on that day was brilliant, I honestly cant wait.

Thanks man,
    It'll be good to see you. It must be 2 years!

See, that's another part of the day...........seeing people and having a great time.
    I bet you there's not one person there on the day who isn't grinning their head off.
    It's raining wiz's.
    @Flink_Poyd  great post.

I make mistakes. We all do. The nerves don't leave you. The experience of playing live helps you to control and use them.

My bass playing is mediocre. I'm not flash or technically complex in my playing. I've worked hard on timing, rhythm, dynamics and sound/feel so I can play a good, usable bass line for a band. For me, my playing is about making it fit in the whole band context. 

A simple line played well, in time, and dynamically in tune with the rest of the band can be very effective.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    These sessions are the ideal environment to make a mistake and get over your fears, I was nervous as hell to be honest but as @Bridgehouse ;those nerves can be used to your advantage. If you've never played with other people before it wont be perfect so dont expect it to be, but it'll be fun and an experience you wont regret.

Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

Joking aside it was a hugely supportive environment and remains a fond memory.
  • adampeteradampeter Frets: 765
    Shit....i better get practicing  :o
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 10322
    Hey All

Just to chime in for anyone having second thoughts im going to screw up as bad as anyone on the day and I've decided not to care.

I'm going to go up do my best and enjoy the day with you lovely bunch of chaps, and hopefully learn some stuff.

I am also aiming to avoid walking over rugs on the day so already a good tip from @TTony there! ;)
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    edited August 2017

I am also aiming to avoid walking over rugs on the day so already a good tip from @TTony there!

:P
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2016
    Nice trip over the rug !....could have been a classic Youtube moment.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    I dont worry about hitting the wrong chord !...Ive mastered the art of looking like Im playing something when Im actually not....

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2093
    edited August 2017
    I've played bass and acoustic guitar for many years but started electric guitar in 97. I've been in a couple of bands on electric but really really freeze up when I have to play a solo. 

I get to the point where I'm filled with dread the verse before a solo. I will balls up any lead playing on the day and it's a safe environment for that. 

Back in the day I learnt from others by showing me stuff or providing encouragement. I hope to learn and share. So if anyone wants bass or slide lessons I'm in. If anyone wants to give me pointers on lead playing I'm in. 

Could any of you fine fellows bring along a music stand that I could borrow for the day please?
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12286
    I'm treating this like a proper Jam... ie turning up totally unrehearsed and see what happens. If I make a tit of myself, well... never mind, it gives other people someone to laugh at and make themselves feel better about their own performances!

And as for the video - jesus, I've seen known bands that looked more under-rehearsed than that and don't do yourself down @Alnico.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

impmann said:
    I'm treating this like a proper Jam... ie turning up totally unrehearsed and see what happens. If I make a tit of myself, well... never mind, it gives other people someone to laugh at and make themselves feel better about their own performances!

And as for the video - jesus, I've seen known bands that looked more under-rehearsed than that and don't do yourself down @Alnico.
    Cheers.
    I appreciate that. 
     horse said:
    Could any of you fine fellows bring along a music stand that I could borrow for the day please?

Yes I can bring one...

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    spark240 said:
     horse said:

Yes I can bring one...
    Thanks mate - much appreciated