Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Fretboard Jam - 2017 Leicester - 2nd September - Running Order V4 Now up!! - Events Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Fretboard Jam - 2017 Leicester - 2nd September - Running Order V4 Now up!!

What's Hot

Comments

• LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7962
    edited August 2017
    spark240 said:
    Like to help dude...but Im in Walsall...about 1 1/2 hr the wrong way
    No worries my friend.     Many thanks for taking the time to consider and reply, much appreciated.  I guess there's not too many of us over this way.  Shame, as it would be good to meet up with a few forumites aside from this event.

Ludlow does seem to be close to places on the map, but remote when it comes to transport options.  Being car-less for the first time in my life is a rude awakening !   Living in Ludlow does make up for it in other ways though, thankfully...
    If you could get to Manchester or something I could maybe help you out. Even if you come the night before...I've a spare room in Huddersfield. Not sure how much of an option that is realistically though

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    That's very kind of you @Legionreturns, I appreciate your generosity.  You are probably right about the practicality side though, but I'll keep an open mind if I may.  Thanks for the thought  :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2016
    Even the train is £90 round trip and 3hrs each way !

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    @chrismusic

Realise that you've had a few slightly more important life events to cope with recently, and good to see you back amongst us again.

If you don't think that getting over to Leicester is going to be viable for you, could you let us (mainly @Alnico) know asap, as there's a queue of people hoping that a slot comes free and we ought to give them reasonable opportunity to sort their own arrangements out if they're going to be able to make it.

If we don't see you at this one, there'll be others (more likely than hopefully) and maybe one closer to you ...
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    spark240 said:
    Even the train is £90 round trip and 3hrs each way !
    :o     for that I'd expect a carriage all to myself, butler, chef, manservant, and dancing girls !
            I only want a ticket, not to buy the bloody train   :o

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

TTony said:
    @chrismusic

Realise that you've had a few slightly more important life events to cope with recently, and good to see you back amongst us again.
    Cheers @TTony , always good to be part of the community here, nice to know y'all missed me  :)

BTW, when did we start having a 100 page limit on "Recent Discussions" ?   or has that always been there ?

I had to start my catch up on page 100, close call that !
    Jeez you guys on here can talk a lot, it will take longer than Brexit to catch back up to date  ;)

TTony said:
    If you don't think that getting over to Leicester is going to be viable for you, could you let us (mainly @Alnico) know asap, as there's a queue of people hoping that a slot comes free and we ought to give them reasonable opportunity to sort their own arrangements out if they're going to be able to make it.
    No worries.

That's why I posted before the weekend, create awareness that I may not be able to be there, so that at least the guys on the reserve list have an inkling, and can look at their own situation accordingly.

Here's hoping that something comes out of the woodwork though.

I was hoping to do a workshop, organisation allowing, on "the Musician's Holy Grail ~ finger independence and co-ordination"  (sexy title, eh), and "Visualisation ~ how to practice,even without a guitar in your hand".  Life gets in the way of many things, so we'll see.  Good to have it though; life that is...  

I really, REALLY do want to be there, it would do justice to the events of the past few months, and mean so much to me to be a part of.

So I'm living in hope, as always, at least for a few more days   

• @ChrisMusic ...ok fuck it...space could be a problem and it's a fuck of a long way out the way but you need to be there mate. Pm me, I'll either pick you up Friday night and you can crash at mine or go the long way round once I've picked up @jonnybradford on Saturday morning. Fair warning, it'll be a squeeze once there are 3 of us in the car but I'll do my best. I'd appreciate a split on fuel money because, well, once the summer holidays are over and the outdoor freelance work dries up I'm unemployed! 

Pm me and we can sort details

Chris

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
     you need to be there mate. Pm me, I'll either pick you up Friday night and you can crash at mine or go the long way round once I've picked up @jonnybradford on Saturday morning. 

• LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7962
    edited August 2017
    TTony said:
     you need to be there mate. Pm me, I'll either pick you up Friday night and you can crash at mine or go the long way round once I've picked up @jonnybradford on Saturday morning. 

Shit... If I'm the fairy godmother, I'm not getting my bloody wand out!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • VinylfanVinylfan Frets: 33
    Hi all

Unfortunately I'll have to drop out now.  My wife is away for work now and I will have to take care of various events that she was going to do but can't do now.

Really disappointed, but thought I'd let you know as soon as so that someone else can take my place as I know there are others waiting.  So wth bad grace, I will give up my place.

Hopefully there'll be another session like this soon, but there's just no way I can get to Leicester and do the other things I need to on the same day.

Wishing you all a wonderful day and really sad that I won't be part of it now.
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4610
    Vinylfan said:
    Hi all

Unfortunately I'll have to drop out now.  My wife is away for work now and I will have to take care of various events that she was going to do but can't do now.

Really disappointed, but thought I'd let you know as soon as so that someone else can take my place as I know there are others waiting.  So wth bad grace, I will give up my place.

Hopefully there'll be another session like this soon, but there's just no way I can get to Leicester and do the other things I need to on the same day.

Wishing you all a wonderful day and really sad that I won't be part of it now.

Sorry you can't make it man.

I'll adjust the list soon, busy right now.
  • just realised I was meant to be nipping to size up the parking situation.. will defo 100% nip by Tues after work..
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 6976
    I seem to have a gajillion posts across 2 threads to catch up on!

My do the night before in London is postponed so I'll be driving there from Wiltshire on the day. 
    "Congratulations on being officially the most right anyone has ever been about anything, ever." -- Noisepolluter knows the score
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4610
    edited August 2017
    Update:

@Vinylfan ; has had to pull out so @adampeter has taken his place.

Reserve list now looks like this...

1. @shelders
    2. @paulmapp8306
    3. @AllthegearNoidea
    4. @Brocco

• TADodgerTADodger Frets: 211
    @strumjoughlamps - I had chance to stop in last week and posted some info on the logistics thread. It looks like limited VW vans in the car park ATM and although Quad has only 12 dedicated spaces, it should be ok for us parking on a weekend.
  • TADodger said:
    @strumjoughlamps - I had chance to stop in last week and posted some info on the logistics thread. It looks like limited VW vans in the car park ATM and although Quad has only 12 dedicated spaces, it should be ok for us parking on a weekend.
    Ahh cheers fella, sciatica been giving me hell past week so was doing nothing other than going work and coming home so completely forgot about checking car park.

• adampeteradampeter Frets: 765
    @Alnico ;
    Sorry to bombard you with questions, i've tried looking through the 3 threads but there's probably 3 weeks of reading in them now  :o
    So could you tell me
    1, Start time?
    2. Can i jump in on any song that has a spot free?, looking at the song list @Vinylfan was down for 1 song
    3  Do i bring an amp?
    Again sorry if this info is in plain sight, i'm struggling to find it
    Cheers mate

@adampeter ;

Thanks for stepping in at such short notice.

Quick answers;
    1.  I think we've got access to the studios from 11:30 (although it might be 11:00??) with the first song due to start at 11:50.
    2.  Don't worry about what slots are free right now, because there are limited slots.  I'm pretty sure that most songs can handle another guitarist in the mix and also that there will be double solo time on some of them too, so pick what you'd like to be involved in.
    3.  You can, but you certainly don't need to.  In fact, unless you particularly want to, it'll probably ease the logistics for you and on the day if you don't!

:)

TTony said:
    @adampeter ;

Thanks for stepping in at such short notice.

Quick answers;
    1.  I think we've got access to the studios from 11:30 (although it might be 11:00??) with the first song due to start at 11:50.
    2.  Don't worry about what slots are free right now, because there are limited slots.  I'm pretty sure that most songs can handle another guitarist in the mix and also that there will be double solo time on some of them too, so pick what you'd like to be involved in.
    3.  You can, but you certainly don't need to.  In fact, unless you particularly want to, it'll probably ease the logistics for you and on the day if you don't!

:)

Thanks mate, although my guitar playing is pretty rubbish i'm really looking forward to this
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    @adampeter you could have a go at Beat it if you like. I'm struggling to get practice time at the moment :(
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
    Nikko said:
    @adampeter you could have a go at Beat it if you like. I'm struggling to get practice time at the moment :(
    Looks like i've gotta cram in some practice myself this week instead of browsing classifieds looking a new gear  :o
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 10322
    adampeter said:
    Nikko said:
    Looks like i've gotta cram in some practice myself this week instead of browsing classifieds looking a new gear  :o
    FWIW - I think most of us are struggling for practise time.

We can help each other through things on the day.  Only one day out of all our lives and will be good fun even if we do all louse up :)
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    adampeter said:
    Nikko said:
    FWIW - I think most of us are struggling for practise time.

We can help each other through things on the day.  Only one day out of all our lives and will be good fun even if we do all louse up :)
    Its all good, i'm looking forward to it
    Gonna print out some cheat sheets for all the songs and try and wing it on the day
    A bar chord and a bit of front should see me through  :)
    Whats the worse that can happen......
  • strumjoughlampsstrumjoughlamps Frets: 3067
    edited August 2017
    adampeter said:

Whats the worse that can happen......

I could base my singing and performance duties on this.... strum in pvc trousers not a pretty thought... :D

o
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 25239
    Oh, bollocks. I've just looked at the running order sheet...no comparing the Beat It solos, please. @bigjon has the first one, and I'm on the second...
    <space for hire>
  • @ChrisMusic ...I've not heard from you. Hope things are ok. I need to hear from you soon so I can make arrangements for getting you. If you could reply to my pm that would be good! 

Cheers

• bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    Oh, bollocks. I've just looked at the running order sheet...no comparing the Beat It solos, please. @bigjon has the first one, and I'm on the second...
    My philosophy is to try and play "What the artist might have played if they'd played it differently".
    Accordingly, I'm not attempting to recreate the original solo, so that will hopefully lessen the tendency to make competitive comparisons between our versions...
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 25239
    bigjon said:
    My philosophy is to try and play "What the artist might have played if they'd played it differently".
    Accordingly, I'm not attempting to recreate the original solo, so that will hopefully lessen the tendency to make competitive comparisons between our versions...
    Excellent. Mine is "similar, but the way I'd have played it", that works well :)
    <space for hire>
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    Here's a recap of the workshops topics, Chord Progressions, and participants, to save folk searching back through the thread - 

Workshoppers
    Here are three loops of the chord progressions so you can practise the four topics - 
    1) Playing chords on fewer strings, e.g. power chords (was Vinylfan's request)
    2) Strumming and muting patterns for rhythm guitar
    3) Adapting licks in solos to follow the underlying chord
    4) String-bending

Fretboard Jam 2017 Workshop Prog1 - Am G D D

Fretboard Jam 2017 Workshop Prog2 - C Dm Am F

Fretboard Jam 2017 Workshop Prog3 - C blues
    C7 F7 C7 C7 . F7 F7 C7 C7 . G7 F7 C7 G7

Legionreturns - soloing over chord progressions + breaking out of habitual shapes & licks + percussive play / left-hand muting à la Mardy Bum.
    TADodger - any /all
    Nikko - any / all
    ennspek - any / all
    aord43 - any / all
    not_the_dj - bends with added vibrato
    darthed1981 - Strumming and muting patterns for rhythm guitar
    slacker - how to solo without a slide
    TTony - observer
    Flink_Poyd - any /all

digitalscream - contributer