Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Should we get rid of Facepalms? - Help & Feedback Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Should we get rid of Facepalms?

What's Hot

Comments

• shobetshobet Frets: 180
    Jalapeno said:
    shobet said:
    Being new here it was a bit odd seeing my fret score going up and down, it wasn't until I noticed that my profile had various rankings that seem to be related to the different 'ratings' at the bottom of each comment that I realised what was going on. You can't even find out what has been clicked on your posts without looking through the lot of them. 

I don't believe it's being used to rank users in any meaningful way and it's open to abuse as there's no transparency unless your'e a moderator. So I'm just going to ignore the fret score altogether as it really does not provide me with any meaningful data. 

So all in all the facepalms and other ratings all seem a bit arbitrary to me. It's just fluff. 
    Us Mods can't see anything either, so don't have a pop at us.  Only the Devs hacking the database can see anything.
    Thanks for the info and I was not having a pop petal. ;) 

It always makes me shit myself when I hear the phrase ''Devs hacking the database". I've been at the pointy end of too many Friday afternoon fixes to mention. 

Do ursus deposit feculence in the thicket?

Here endeth the lesson. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • shobet said:
    Thanks for the info and I was not having a pop petal. ;) 

It always makes me shit myself when I hear the phrase ''Devs hacking the database". I've been at the pointy end of too many Friday afternoon fixes to mention. 

Don't worry, we never make any writes while we're investigating these things. We restrict ourselves to read-only database queries :)

Also, there will never be any changes to the code running the forum without a proper test and release plan. We also have full backups of everything (which I test every few weeks).
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • nickpnickp Frets: 182
    @monquixote

i'm dunno about facepalms but what about a Good trader button?  then they'll show up on profiles

just a thought

Nick
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    nickp said:
    @monquixote

i'm dunno about facepalms but what about a Good trader button?  then they'll show up on profiles

just a thought

Nick
    It's on my list, but it would be per user rather than per post. 
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22443
    The facepalm really has become the last bastion of the imbecile and the dimwitted. I am fucking shocked that the admins thought it was a good idea at all. It's SOOOOOOOOOOOO obvious what it would be used for!!
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33263
    nickp said:
    @monquixote

just a thought

Nick
    It's on my list, but it would be per user rather than per post. 
    Would need to be centrally managed then.
    Otherwise would be easy to create multiple profiles and give yourself positive feedback.

As for facepalms- I thought they were harmless but it seems that they are not- get rid of them.
    They hurts my feeewwwwinggs!
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    They really don't bother me but as we have seen with @Drew_fx getting trashed it can get a bit silly.

It was mildly amusing for the first 20 or so but rapidly got spiteful.

Like a lot on here if I give a facepalm I tend to balance it with a LOL or similar, unless it really is deserving of a facepalm.

Just my 2p.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • WYNIR0WYNIR0 Frets: 169
    Facepalms? What Facepalms?  :-S I see no Facepalms. 
    monquixote said:
    I agree with WYNIRO much as personally I think he is a total cock.

• Weren't me, guv.

OK, it might have been...
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited October 2013
    WYNIR0 said:
    You really didn't want to do it like that or say it out loud, I said I had none and then I suddenly had some, cause and effect right there.    :D

Edit

My bad I never spotted they had vanished.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader

johnnyurq said:
    WYNIR0 said:
    You really didn't want to do it like that or say it out loud, I said I had none and then I suddenly had some, cause and effect right there.    :D
    I think you are pretty safe. 

Facepalm, facepalm, facepalm. 

See. 
    Did you say it into a mirror?
  • Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4759
    edited October 2013
    I found the FaPs quite amusing.  Every time I got one, I got a wisdom or a wow. I think it was some sort of Karmic realignment 'n' ting.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33263
    So are we going to make 'Wow's' surrogate facepalms, then? Every time you get a wow now you have to imagine a belligerent teenager sarcastically saying 'wow' and rolling their eyes.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • WYNIR0WYNIR0 Frets: 169

johnnyurq said:
    WYNIR0 said:
    I think you are pretty safe. 

Facepalm, facepalm, facepalm. 

See. 
    You're power crazy you are!
    monquixote said:
    I agree with WYNIRO much as personally I think he is a total cock.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    octatonic said:
    So are we going to make 'Wow's' surrogate facepalms, then? Every time you get a wow now you have to imagine a belligerent teenager sarcastically saying 'wow' and rolling their eyes.
    As I said in the other thread, I'm hopeful that won't happen - primarily because a "wow" adds to your fret score, so it'd be a bit of an own goal.

Facepalms have, as I think everyone's seen, been disabled, and we will be changing the back-end code to remove them completely. As such unless there are any major objections I think it might be best to sink this thread?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    No objection here!
  • The only issue I have with them is that they remove any "positive" frets you have had - I worked really hard for my first Fret, lol. 

Then someone gave me a facepalm and my dreams of moving up in the world shattered as I went back down to " 0 Frets" :((
    I have no idea who gave it to me, or what it was for...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    They don't any more! :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    I miss them. It feels like an essential element of balance has been removed from the Universe.

It's like how you can only leave positive feedback for a buyer on Ebay now (yet another reason why I no longer sell there).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    I miss them. It feels like an essential element of balance has been removed from the Universe.

It's like how you can only leave positive feedback for a buyer on Ebay now (yet another reason why I no longer sell there).
    Good news!
    We will be replacing it with a FOAD button a DIAF button and the ever popular C**t button.
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I think we should have an "YABMN" button.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6284
    Not ASYF ?
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • vizviz Frets: 10211
    Not YABU?
    Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
    Oh, POTLOY.
    BYDKWTOM!
    tFB Trader
    Yoghurt tit monkey new door? Doesn't make sense mate.
  • The amount of shitty facepalm pictures has balooned considerably since getting rid of the button. :(

Hopefully that's just a temporary reaction and as people forget that the FP button existed they'll go away.