Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Any Motörbike riders here? - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Any Motörbike riders here?

What's Hot

Comments

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 29588
    On a boring note, I just put a new rear tyre on the back of my wife's Triumph, and have noticed that the rear tyres on all of our other three bikes are at less than 1.5mm.
    It's going to be a sweaty, expensive week. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • jaytmonjaytmon Frets: 167
    Dominic said:
    … I just don't understand the purpose of them other than a wheelie machine
    To be fair I could say the same thing (for me) about Harleys. Apart from the last bit of course.  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1334
    edited June 2023
    Dominic said:
    yes, epitome of it.....a hybrid of an Enduro and a sportbike .
    As the name suggests,they were a French Obsession 20 years ago but I just don't understand the purpose of them other than a wheelie machine
    They are generally lightweight with  reasonable power, which gives them decent power to weight ratios - and when you couple that to a stiff frame and decent brakes, and usually a high-spec suspension setup, you get something that accelerates pretty quickly, and then brakes, stops and corners really well. They can carry huge corner speed because of the light weight and stiff frames.

The breed in general are crap for the open road and sitting at anywhere over about 60 mph for any length of time admittedly, but light and nimble as fk for when you're just on the mood for something you can let rip a little now and then. A proper supermoto/hypermotard would be a great tool for running rings round adventure bike types on the curvy stuff (and off-road if you had the right tyres ), and you'd also get to play with the sports bikes on roundabouts and anywhere else you have to stick to non-jailtime speeds
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2339
    edited June 2023
    Arty shot of the new bike down at Brighton this week. This is the third one I’ve owned, I must like them. Off to Germany next week for a long weekend, then a two week tour in mid July. No idea of where I’m going yet, just going to rock up in Calais and see what happens!

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DominicDominic Frets: 15285
    lovely tool for that kind of trip
    ,May she carry you safely and swiftly
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5218
    edited June 2023
    Yep, lovely looking machine. 

My weekend is looking a bit like this. 

Hit the road after work today and landed at Ragley Hall for the ABR Festival just after 4:00. 

There’s already thousands of bikes (yay) and people (boo) here and it doesn’t open properly until tomorrow!

I’m camped next to a German chap who has come all the way from SW Germany just for this weekend!  He’s been telling me that he had his bike shipped to the US and did a 48,000 Kilometre tour over there on it, including both the Dempster and Dalton Highways. 

Bastard!

I meant April. ~ Simon Weir

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Dominic said:
    lovely tool for that kind of trip
    ,May she carry you safely and swiftly
    Thank you. Can’t wait, the chance to switch off, chill and just ride.
    Haych said:
    Yep, lovely looking machine. 

My weekend is looking a bit like this. 

Hit the road after work today and landed at Ragley Hall for the ABR Festival just after 4:00. 

There’s already thousands of bikes (yay) and people (boo) here and it doesn’t open properly until tomorrow!

I’m camped next to a German chap who has come all the way from SW Germany just for this weekend!  He’s been telling me that he had his bike shipped to the US and did a 48,000 Kilometre tour over there on it, including both the Dempster and Dalton Highways. 

Bastard!
    Have a good one, weather looks good this weekend.

Love your bike btw.
    ^ thanks mate. I quite like it too…… until I see a nice GS TE, then I want to remortgage the house and do a round the world tour lol. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3238
    edited June 2023
    I’ve had a couple of supermotos and similar, the last being a Vitpilen 701. The point of them is that they are light and they are fun to ride 

Round here with plenty of tight single track twisty roads they’re great. Plenty of quiet single track twisty up / down gravel festooned roads to have fun on. Also great for commuting on. Not great for touring but having said that I have toured the Picos (from Scotland) on an MZ Baghira. Anything is possible if you have the desire. 

You do need to follow the original French idea though and have a decent amount of CCs available or you do run out of steam quickly - if you’re running a motocross derived machine for instance. I lived in France at the turn of the
    millennium and the supermotard then was an XR650 / Tenere or similar with 17” rims, decent tyres and extra braking power. A 660+ 4 stroke is ideal. The Husky 701 / KTM 690 motor is good up to a ton + if you can hang on and pretty user friendly too, once you fix the hopelessly shite clutch slave. Long travel suspension and an upright seating position with good leverage makes them ridiculously easy to chuck around once you’re used to it.

I apologise in advance, this is probably going to be a long one!

I'm back from the ABR Festival this weekend and it was an absolute hoot.  I've never been before and if I hadn't won tickets I wouldn't have gone this year, but I'm glad for that serendipitous confluence of events that allowed me to go.

As a VIP I had the option to arrive mid afternoon on Thursday to secure one of the better camping pitches.  I arrived at the check in at about 4:30 - delayed by an accident between a group of riders I was following for a few miles after I left the motorway.  

We were all going to the same place so I just followed them - there were about six riders in front of me, I was hanging back quite a distance (I don't like group riding much) but at a right turn off the A44 the tail end rider didn't clock that the rest of the group had slowed down for the turn.  A split second before he rear-ended the guy in front there was a plume of blue tyre smoke and he went down!

Thankfully it wasn't a big off, and they had him up and were away again within a few minutes, but this is one of the reasons I rarely ride in a group - the other being he fact that I'm Billy-no-mates and couldn't find a group of people to ride with if my life depended on it.

Anyway, by the time that was all over I made it to Ragley Hall at about 4:30 and after I was through the check-in process the "VIP" field was very busy.  I didn't think it was very VIP anyway, but I picked the best spot I could and erected my tent next to a guy named Martin, from South West Germany, who'd ridden on a very well used R1200GS for the event from his home.

He'd been all over the world on that thing, and it showed, he was no Starbucks weekend warrior, and he was telling me about his tour of the US, Canada, Mexico and lots of South America!

The event itself was very well organised and there was as much or as little to do as you'd choose to.

Most big bike manufacturers were there with demo bikes that could be booked for test rides.  I chose not to test ride anything for two reasons, it was bloody hot all weekend and the thought of getting into all my gear just to take a bike out wasn't one that seemed very appealing to me.  Secondly, I knew if I took any bike out for a ride I was going to like it and I would probably want one.  The two that appealed to me the most was the BMW R1250 GS TE, that looked like a very well sorted machine, and the other was the Honda TransAlp, which I reckon looks like a great little bike, and fully loaded is about half the price of the GS - I knew if I took that out I'd spend the next week working out how I could afford one, so chose not to.

There were also two adventure trails available to anyone who wanted to do some off road riding.  One was about 8km, the other 30km - I think the test bikes were also open to being taken on the trails.

As well as that there were also trade stands where you could buy all sorts of stuff and discount prices - I bought nothing.

Food and drink were aplenty but none of it was cheap although apart from the beer prices the food was not too unreasonable.

They had several live bands over the weekend too, most were very good.  The Beat were disappointing, though.  Apart from Mirror in the Bathroom, every other song sounded the same, and the echo they put on the sax was really annoying.

The Police Force (Police tribute) were excellent, the Eric Clapton tribute were also very good but made me realise how much I don't really like Clapton's music.  The Queen tribute were excellent but didn't seem to play complete songs, they just seemed to do medleys of the hits with one running in to the other.  Fleetwood Bac were also very good and the entertainment was quite high quality all weekend.

The highlight of the weekend for me was meeting some people I knew from social media and YouTube Moto channels I follow, and some people who seem to be very well respected in the adventure motorcycling circle.

I had a good chat with Tony from MancaveMoto, he was really nice and happy to spend half hour talking to a nobody like me.  I finally met UserNameKate, we are aware of each other from social media and when she found out who I was she actually asked little old me if she could have a selfie together!

I met and actually hung out with Ryan "F9" Kluftinger from the YouTube channel FortNine during Friday evening, and he is very cool and easy going considering how many people who seemed to want his attention.

I met Noraly "ItchyBoots" Schumacher, just for a photo-op and a "Hi, how are you" but she was really, really nice and very humble considering what she has accomplished.

I also bumped into Lady Harley, who was mentioned here a couple of pages ago.  I have to say that there is a lot more to her than meets the eye and despite what is portrayed on social media she is just a lovely and very down to earth kind of person and there is absolutely no pretentiousness that I could detect at all.  She also doesn't do handshakes and pulled me in for a couple of very sincere hugs before we parted ways, don't tell the wife but cue big grin........

The highlight for me personally was meeting Elspeth Beard, she is an incredible lady and despite being very upper middle class seems very grounded and ordinary.  Her achievements until rather recently went very unnoticed, but hearing her speak about her experiences and being able to talk with her after was a very warm moment for me.

The weather all weekend could not really have been better.  Apparently, there was a big downpour overnight on Thursday, but I was fast asleep in my tent with my earplug in so I hardly noticed.  Apart from that it was a scorchio weekend.

I feel a bit of the post holiday blues today, I really enjoyed it and I'm already thinking of going back next year, but doing it slightly differently to make the camping thing a but easier and less hassle.  Mrs hatch joined me for the last day of the event and even she enjoyed it.  Her sister-in-law to be quite recently passer her bike test so she's into bikes so the four of us are thinking about going next year.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1252
    Anyone here have any experience of maxi scooters (or 300cc + scooters)?

I'm looking for something to take a bit of burden off the car and make my commute a bit easier.  
  • DominicDominic Frets: 15285
    rode a Burgmann once ....quite good fun and v easy
  • jaytmonjaytmon Frets: 167
    @Haych thanks for the report! Was toying with the idea of going but I’m away next week on the bike anyway. Sounds like a brilliant event and cool to meet what I guess at the end of the day are fellow bikers. Smiled at the thought of a sincere hug from Lady Harley too ;)

Oh and I totally get the danger of test riding - well done for resisting temptation…for now at least. Maybe next year…!
    Haych said:

I met and actually hung out with Ryan "F9" Kluftinger from the YouTube channel FortNine during Friday evening, and he is very cool and easy going considering how many people who seemed to want his attention.

I met Noraly "ItchyBoots" Schumacher, just for a photo-op and a "Hi, how are you" but she was really, really nice and very humble considering what she has accomplished.

Always good to hear what people are really like. I like your man FortNine's stuff, and Itchyboots is a bit of hero in bike circles round these parts. Will have to check out Elspeth Beard now, haven't come across her yet.

The rally sounds like decent craic all told - glad you enjoyed it (and got the weather :) )
    AK99 said:
    Haych said:

Always good to hear what people are really like. I like your man FortNine's stuff, and Itchyboots is a bit of hero in bike circles round these parts. Will have to check out Elspeth Beard now, haven't come across her yet.

The rally sounds like decent craic all told - glad you enjoyed it (and got the weather :) )
    It was really good, if you like motorcycles, beer and live music it's probably your thing, providing you don't mind being around 12,000 other people.  It never seems particularly overcrowded since there's so much to do over a big space but there are busy times around the food stalls (and the bar, of course).

But I'd definitely recommend it based on my experience last weekend.  We might do things differently next time and splash out for a luxury tent already pitched in advance just to make things a bit easier and nicer.  I suppose a lot depends on the weather, though; if it had been chucking it down I think it would have been a miserable experience.

Yes, I'd certainly recommend a Google or Wiki for Elspeth Beard, I bought her book a few weeks ago and purchased a signed copy of her new photo album book at the event.  I feel quite upset that she never received recognition for her achievements at the time, when people like Ted Simon managed to make a career out of it, and it wasn't for the lack of trying.  But, different times, different attitudes and all that.

• TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4501
    Out for 10 hours yesterday with a couple of mates. Christchurch to Budleigh Salterton and back using a very wibbly-wobbly route for maximum scenery, low traffic and fun on the way out and quite direct back (from Bridport onwards) because I was running out of time.  I still pinch myself at how much fun I'm still getting from the F900 XR. 

My first visit to Budleigh Salterton. What a nice olde-worlde seaside resort! :-) 
    Hello FB bikers. This was uploaded today by the YouTuber called Saddlebags. I liked the whole video but I think this is the most jaw dropping drone footage I've seen of a motorcycle ride on Youtube, the music makeit incredibly moving. Link is timestamped.

• fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 4636
    Does anyone want to buy my Royal Enfield Interceptor 650, 2019 model, low mileage, loads of upgrades including polished steel downpipes and cans, £4,000?

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 29588
    Does anyone want to buy my Royal Enfield Interceptor 650, 2019 model, low mileage, loads of upgrades including polished steel downpipes and cans, £4,000?

I already have one, and it's one of the best things I've ever bought.
    Good luck with the sale. 
  • roundthebendroundthebend Frets: 1066
    I don't post in here often because I, stupidly, don't ride often. Every time I ride, I love it. Even when the conditions aren't great...

Weekend just gone I went up to the Lake District with a few mates. I convoyed with a mate from Peterborough and we met two others - one from Taunton, one from Oxford. My convoy leader decided to go on a scenic route, like a Dad, and it was an arduous 7 hours in the saddle. We saw Typhoons practising at RAF Coningsby, then crossed the Humber Bridge, picked up some motorway to get over to the Yorkshire Dales but got caught in rain so I dropped into Mountain Warehouse in Harrogate to grab some waterproofs. From there we crossed the Dales and used some fun roads - my favourite being a thin sliver of Tarmac near Kirkby Steven which involved weaving between sheep and enjoy the feel of the undulations and bends. Might have been Tommy Road - https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.4245505,-2.3542072,15.78z?entry=ttu

On the Saturday we took a 6+ hour group spin across the Lakes - Honister Pass was fun with cyclists climbing the hills meaning I got to practise my slow bike control. The road between Ennerdale Bridge and Calderbridge was another thin sliver of Tarmac littered with sheep. It was great fun and stunning to look at, including a sight of Blakeley Raise Stone Circle. The A593 from Broughton-in-Furness up to Torver was quicker and made my riding chums happier - especially the chap on a Panigale. My favourite section for the views and riding was the Appleby Road (A685) between Kendal and Tebay. It skirts along the M6 on what must be one of the most visual pleasing sections of motorway in the UK.

Sunday, everybody departed early to get home to chores and stuff. I didn't have such pressures so I planned a leisurely ride down to Manchester then across the Peak District on Snake Pass. Strong wind, rain, and a motorway closure near Preston and some sat nav incompetence got me to Glossop eventually where I stopped for a much needed food stop. Only to find that Snake Pass was closed, so I gave up trying to enjoy the scenery and aimed direct to home. 7+ hours riding and I was knackered.

You don't get much wind protection on a Triumph Bonneville T120. But I love it.

I am considering investing in some waterproof/adventure style clothing. Something that looks OK on this style of bike. What should I be looking for? Is it "Adventure" clothing?

Photos to follow, when I get Imgur working....
    ^ sounds like a fun few days in the saddle to me!

Snake Pass is a nice road, I’ve done it a couple of times and it’s good fun even at legal speeds. 

The Cat & Fiddle isn’t too far from there and is another great road with some absolutely stunning views! I found it hard to keep my eyes on the road. 

Re waterproof clothing, I have an old Alpinestars GTX jacket which seems to work well (it was thoroughly tested in some dire weather earlier this year), and a pair of Alpinestars Drystar trousers, which work equally as well. 

I don’t think they are particularly what I’d call “adventure” clothing but they’ve kept me dry and warm in some awful weather. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3819
    What do people think of the cafe racer Instagram thing?

Some of them obviously look really good but more like art? 

Some really nice builds but very few that look practical to me. Definitely form over function for the most part. I’d cripple myself trying to ride most of them. 

• LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3819
    Haych said:

Some really nice builds but very few that look practical to me. Definitely form over function for the most part. I’d cripple myself trying to ride most of them. 
    They usually look like they've never been used. 

Fair enough I suppose if that's your bag. 
    Cheers @Haych ;
    It really was fun.
    I've seen the Alpinestars Drystars stuff online and think it would be a good option. Cheers.

Couple of photos..

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Since the weather's warmer.. any cool, half decent open face helmets out there  ? I've started using an open face more on the FXR, as I find you're less inclined to go raking, and just enjoy the ride at lower speeds.

I have two - an ancient Griffin I got off an old uncle which looks the part, but lets a hellish amount of wind noise through, (and is from the days when there was no padding on the crown, so the fibreglasss shell sits directly on your head, so not the most comfortable) ..

- and a more modern Bell, which is quieter, but makes you look like a mushroom, and I just can't seem to get comfortable in as it's tight across my forehead.

Anybody got, or recommend something on the open face front that works ok, with perhaps a modicum of style ?

Bike looks well RTB. And that road in the background there ce3rtainly looks like you could have a bit of fun on it :)
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    AK99 said:
    Since the weather's warmer.. any cool, half decent open face helmets out there  ? I've started using an open face more on the FXR, as I find you're less inclined to go raking, and just enjoy the ride at lower speeds.

I have two - an ancient Griffin I got off an old uncle which looks the part, but lets a hellish amount of wind noise through, (and is from the days when there was no padding on the crown, so the fibreglasss shell sits directly on your head, so not the most comfortable) ..

- and a more modern Bell, which is quieter, but makes you look like a mushroom, and I just can't seem to get comfortable in as it's tight across my forehead.

Anybody got, or recommend something on the open face front that works ok, with perhaps a modicum of style ?

There's always the Davida, UK made & not cheap, but very high quality. Their boss David Fiddaman is a mad keen biker.
    https://www.davida-helmets.com/pages/story
    https://charliekompany.wordpress.com/2012/11/01/davidamade-to-order/
    @AK99 ;

Problem with Honister Pass is that it's popular so you can't really get a cruising speed going - you have to be slowing for oncoming traffic and bicycles snaking across the road to cope with the incline. We actually came down that road rather than going up it. I hadn't thought it could be more fun going that way.