Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Any Motörbike riders here? - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Any Motörbike riders here?

What's Hot

Comments

• chris78chris78 Frets: 8492
    Try a Duacti Diavel (yes I'm biased) - handles like a sportsbike with the comfort of a cruiser.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • jaytmonjaytmon Frets: 167
    I tried a Rocket III at the bike show last year, riding in about 7 degrees and a bit wet, without doubt the most ridiculous and hilarious thing I’ve ever ridden. I came back with cold hands, a wet crotch and the stupidest grin all over my face. I’ll never buy one but what a hoot. 

Dominic said:
    The problem for anybody over 10 stone is the true sportsbike riding position puts so much weight on your wrists until the wind resistance relieves it at 60mph and above that you will see most owners riding round with one hand on the throttle and an arm braced to lean on the tank to relieve the weight on wrists.
    Not to mention having to tuck your knees up round your chin if you’re over 5’6”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1681
    Having only returned to biking last year after a decade off i considered getting a GS - because yeah they literally can do everything and do it really well. 

I couldn't do it though - even at 40 I felt too young for one and personally think they're really ugly bikes.

So I bought a Royal Enfield Classic 350. 20BHP, won't go over 70mph and for me it's perfect. Riding around the new forest etc where there's hardly any limits over 50mph I have no desire for any extra power.

Ok i wouldn't like to tour on it or spend a prolonged period on a dual carriageway - but as my weekend toy it's brilliant. Plus i think it looks awesome !

For some reason i keep thinking I'm in hearbeat when I'm going over certain parts of forest and sing the themetune to myself.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DominicDominic Frets: 15285
    chris78 said:
    Try a Duacti Diavel (yes I'm biased) - handles like a sportsbike with the comfort of a cruiser.
    I did about 12000 miles on a 1260 S Diavel......it's a much better bike than the earlier one .Totally comfortable as you say...you could ride it all day long. Handles very well and superbly stable in a long ,fast sweeping curve ( better than many supersports ) but to be supercritical ,it's a tad slow to turn in although super competent once you do .
    Very comfortable pillion too.
    Not to be confused with the XDiavel model which is a feet forward model .......that's ok but not so good.
    jaytmon said:
    I tried a Rocket III at the bike show last year, riding in about 7 degrees and a bit wet, without doubt the most ridiculous and hilarious thing I’ve ever ridden. I came back with cold hands, a wet crotch and the stupidest grin all over my face. I’ll never buy one but what a hoot.
    No replacement for Displacement !
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    ^^lolwiz
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2777
    tFB Trader
    I like a bigger motor, much prefer torque above anything else, esp screaming revs and notional top speeds. Fewer gear changes, lower revs at any speed, less fuss etc etc. Brutal power can be fun/too much fun. Plus being tall most smaller cc bikes feel like minimotos under me, as do many modern big cc bikes come to that. A big part of why I tend to end up with older semi-dinosaur litre bikes, the physical size of them. That and preference.

Though some top fun has been had on things like a 125 traillie slicing through London, or a CD715, CB350 and suchlike, all slower than cold gravy.
    Ride what you like, screw what anyone else thinks.

Proper answer is probably to have more than one bike!

• StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5820
    In regards to the big bike debate, nothing to do with dick swinging everything to do with  the feel of that acceleration.
    I have owned them all, blades, r1s, zx10r, x11, rsvs, they all have on thing in common, intoxicating speed, and nothing comes close to that thrill especially getting a corner perfect. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 29588
    gubble said:

I bought a Royal Enfield Classic 350. 20BHP, won't go over 70mph and for me it's perfect. Riding around the new forest etc where there's hardly any limits over 50mph I have no desire for any extra power.

Ok i wouldn't like to tour on it or spend a prolonged period on a dual carriageway - but as my weekend toy it's brilliant. Plus i think it looks awesome !

I would definitely tour on it, you have about 4bhp more than I do and most of my long distance holidays have been on this thing for the last 20 years - my interaction with the world I'm travelling through is vastly increased over any "proper" touring bike. 

And yes, although I'm 150 miles away I spend a lot of time in the New Forest but I always go on this bike.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    ^ You deffo qualify as a 'Biker' . Hardcore and Hard-arse (I'm using it's hard-tail and the only thing keeping you out of the Piles Clinic is the sprung saddle and a slightly under-inflated rear tyre )
    Little details like the '48 FL Muffler and Tombstone light make it look very cool......is the rear mudguard hinged?Looks like some kind of Harley split tank and sportster oil tank cover on a raked sportster frame .....what's the engine ?
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5218
    edited June 2023
    In regards to the big bike debate, nothing to do with dick swinging everything to do with  the feel of that acceleration.
    I have owned them all, blades, r1s, zx10r, x11, rsvs, they all have on thing in common, intoxicating speed, and nothing comes close to that thrill especially getting a corner perfect. 
    My willy waving comment was more a dig at people who think they need a GS or other big adventure bike with full SW Motech hard luggage and Rukka suits to go touring.

That also isn't entirely fair, GSes and Africa Twins etc are great bikes in their own right and if you want one then why not, but they're not essential at all for a long tour, but every bugger at a bike stop seems to have one these days.

Again, if you want one, why not.  I did want one, I might still get one, one day.  But if I did, I reckon this would be me, lol.  And I do realise it was done for April Fools Day.  But the fact that Lone Rider can make this video and for it to be so well understood says a lot about many ADV bikers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8_dWO71_34

I meant April. ~ Simon Weir

Bit of trading feedback here.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    ^ Love it
    Relic Stratocaster Anybody ?
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1681
    100% wouldn't have been surprised if this product was real.

You can after all buy worn knee sliders.....
    Haych said:
    My willy waving comment was more a dig at people who think they need a GS or other big adventure bike with full SW Motech hard luggage and Rukka suits to go touring.

That also isn't entirely fair, GSes and Africa Twins etc are great bikes in their own right and if you want one then why not, but they're not essential at all for a long tour, but every bugger at a bike stop seems to have one these days.

Again, if you want one, why not.  I did want one, I might still get one, one day.  But if I did, I reckon this would be me, lol.  And I do realise it was done for April Fools Day.  But the fact that Lone Rider can make this video and for it to be so well understood says a lot about many ADV bikers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8_dWO71_34
    I agree it's like having a discovery to take the kids to school! 
    I get it
    Somewhere inside most of us is a little fantasy world ......when we look in a mirror we probably see a slightly slimmer ,less bald,younger version of what everybody else sees.
    Aquisition and image is often driven by a bit of fantasy.......advertising and marketing is based on it .A kind of projection.
    When we covet the relic Strat it's because it makes us feel like an aged,gig-hardened ,cool older statesman of the Rock and Roll era .
    Big Adventure Tourers that never make it through a Bavarian Forest or as far as Marrakesh Sand Dunes aren't really any different from the guy who puts on the PowerRanger Race Rep suit to ride his Sportbike down the A 1 with ne'er a Chicane in sight or the guy who dons his leather cut off complete with DILIGAF patch to feel like a bad-ass 1% Hells Angel cruising down Highway 17 on the way to Sturgis .
     In fact ,Harley fostered this marketing strategy to the extent that they built and maintain a whole fraternity Harley Owners Group ( HOG ) complete with pretend regional 'Chapters' , Ranks, patches ( by quiet agreement with HA etc ) and even have 'Clubhouses' based in regional Harley Dealerships to make people feel like they are living the American Biker fantasy.
    As far as I know , they aren't dealing Meth ,running Hookers and contract killings yet !
    Fact is ,people buy lifestyle fantasy with a passion and a exchange money for escapism .
    Some years ago whilst dog walking I stumbled across a Wild West Town complete with main street ,Saloon bar , Horse tie-ups ,Sheriff 's Office and porch etc set in a couple of fields just East of Brands Hatch .....the only thing missing was the Tumbleweed ......just like a film-set . I got talking to the owner /operator .....apparently it comes alive every weekend with role play enthusiasts riding into town like the Gatlin Boys dismounting outside Kitty's Saloon before having a shootout with the Marshall......weekend Cowboys who take the family / horse and camp there and play Westerners .
    People are funny.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    ^ nicely summarised. Wiz’d. 

Have to admit, that western thing sounds like a right laugh 
    laugh WITH or laugh AT ?
    Actually you can google it .......it's called Laredo Town.....apparently it's been there 45 years and has been in the newspapers over the years ....it was used in a number of films with Johnny Depp and recently by Elbow for a music vid
    I forget what it was called but I visited an old west town in New Mexico some years ago. 

It has more than just the old west there and it’s bugging me I can’t remember the name, but it’s quite famous and is used as a film set for a lot of modern westerns. 

Parts of Young Guns was filmed there and many other films have use the town as a set. 

Cerillos! That’s it. I always remember it for the petting zoo they had there, and the toilets which were just wooden huts constructed over a deep fissure in the ground - pleasant, not!

Would love to have the bike shipped to America and tour the US and Canada. Just watched a series on YT where a guy has ridden from Halifax to the Arctic Ocean via the Dempster Highway. Looks incredible even on a small screen. 

If I lived in North America you wouldn’t see me for months at a time. 

There is one style of bike I don't understand .....The Supermotard
    why ?
    Dominic said:
    why ?
    Funny you should say that. Having recently sold bike no.2 and gone back to being a one bike bike owner (one guitar is never enough right), I had a serious hankering for a Husqvarna 701 supernoto….totally impractical but I bet it’s a riot to ride, especially as I’m surrounded by country lanes. So far I’ve resisted temptation…
    but they're meant to have road tyres......proper supermotards are used on tracks with slicks.......don't see the point
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 29588
    Dominic said:
    why ?

Don't know. A friend of mine lent me his 650 Husaberg, it was pointless on rural roads as it ran out of gears at lower speeds than I would have ridden them on a mid-sized commuter bike, and the only fun you could possibly have with them in an urban environment is if you took the number plate off, or actually just stole one.   

I can't see the point of a 0-50mph hooligan bike unless you happen to own a karting curcuit. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3819
    edited June 2023
    Thing about these enduro, hybrid, off-road jobs is that most of my riding has been off road/O.R. bikes and I wouldn't really want anything over 250-350, you need to be able to pull it out of ditches and bogs, some of those things you wouldn't be able to lift if it fell over on the road.
    Never mind anything else.

Plus it's OK doing the standing up bit but how long can you keep that up, they need a big spongy seat, like old trail bikes had. 
    Dominic said:
    but they're meant to have road tyres......proper supermotards are used on tracks with slicks.......don't see the point
    Ah I see what you mean. Very niche, that’s for sure. 
    I like the idea of a bike that can go anywhere though. Gives the full 'freedom' a bike can offer. 
    edited June 2023
    My dad had a SP1000 Spada when I was a kid, that was a nice bike to sit on the back of when I was wee.

His mate had a mk2 le mans that I always loved.
    It was a bit nippier but rarely lost me and my dad for long. 
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 2922
    edited June 2023
    Dominic said:
    why ?
    Would you class this a Supermotard?

yes, epitome of it.....a hybrid of an Enduro and a sportbike .
    As the name suggests,they were a French Obsession 20 years ago but I just don't understand the purpose of them other than a wheelie machine