Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Any Motörbike riders here? - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Any Motörbike riders here?

What's Hot
19899100101102104»

Comments

• thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2727
    How much difference does tightening the chain make?  

I took my bike in for its first service since I’ve had it and it’s come out like a different bike.  I’m not sure I really like the change tbh but maybe it’s a matter of getting used to it?

It feels much more responsive but that also includes “twitchy”, I’ve just got to touch the throttle and it’s off.  Feels faster too, which I didn’t really need at this stage as it felt fast enough as it was.  Has he retuned it or is this the result of the chain tightening?

I’m making it sound worse than it is I think.  It’s manageable but I’ve just got to pay more attention taking off and at slow manoeuvres.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DominicDominic Frets: 15285
    AK99 said:
    ^ It's a tough one.

One of the PO's fitted a slightly bigger throated Squawkin' Chickin brand carb and filter and the straight-through silencers, but it definitely isn't what you'd call quick. It is tempting to go down the performance upgrades route but am a bit conflicted about modifying it engine-wise. Part of the appeal of the thing for me is the fact that it's a big lazy old thumper of an engine that I can scoot about on with less risk (hopefully..) of running out of road and luck and ending up wrapped round a tree or in a hedge somewhere.

Dont worry, it's a Harley ......it ain't ever gonna get that quick ! ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 2922
    thebreeze said:
    How much difference does tightening the chain make?  

I took my bike in for its first service since I’ve had it and it’s come out like a different bike.  I’m not sure I really like the change tbh but maybe it’s a matter of getting used to it?

It feels much more responsive but that also includes “twitchy”, I’ve just got to touch the throttle and it’s off.  Feels faster too, which I didn’t really need at this stage as it felt fast enough as it was.  Has he retuned it or is this the result of the chain tightening?

I’m making it sound worse than it is I think.  It’s manageable but I’ve just got to pay more attention taking off and at slow manoeuvres.
    What other work was performed as part of the service? I'd be surprised if tightening the chain made *that* much difference.

R.
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1252
    Maybe the technician has put it into a different riding mode?  

Not sure what the bike is but in my experience sorting a loose chain helps make things a lot smoother.  
  • jaytmonjaytmon Frets: 167
    @thebreeze what @sinbaadi said - check which mode it’s in (I believe there are two in your bike) though they only affect TC by the sounds of it. Still worth checking, could impact how keen the bike is to take off. 

My experience is a too loose chain is more snatchy. Tightening smooths it out. 
    I guess there’s a slim chance a software update was done, but I’d imagine that would be listed on the service invoice. 
    Thanks everyone.  It’s in the same riding mode that it was before.  I’ll keep an eye on things, I think it might be just a case of getting used to it.  It’s funny how quite a bit of this boils down to feel and I’d got used to it feeling a certain way.
  • Mothballed 2 of my bikes for the winter. My Ducati is due its desmo service. The doing of the service itself isn't that difficult, just need to take the bike to pieces before. The forks and radiators need to come off for the front cylinder and the rear subframe for the vertical cylinder. Should be done by Spring. So far I've taken one fairing panel off. 

Still got one bike till it starts to snow.
    What’s a desmo service @manicguitarist?
  • thebreeze said:
    What’s a desmo service @manicguitarist?
    Ducatis use desmodromic valves : on a normal engine the cam opens the valve and a spring pushes it closed. On a desmo engine they have a cam to open and a cam to close. 

So like a valve adjustment service but fiddlier and 2x as many things to check 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    They are chainj driven and make a clattering sound that is unmistakably Ducati
    Got caught (ill prepared ) in a solid downpour yesterday ........drenched
    Although often not sunny the numerous dry days and nights of the last few months made me forget how bloody miserable it can be on two wheels when you're wet,cold and getting spray from the vehicles in front