Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Any Motörbike riders here? - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Any Motörbike riders here?

What's Hot

Comments

• HaychHaych Frets: 5218
    @TheBigDipper yes I do have the BMW pannier cases for my bike. The standard GS cases I’ve seen are the Vario cases which can expand depending on what you need to fit inside. 

I was more having a dig at the people who fit the aluminium cases from SW Motech, Givi, Touratech or Lone Rider. They seem a bit ridiculous for the average Joe, and the fitting kit for some of them puts the side cases well wide, especially on the exhaust side. 

I did meet a German GS rider recently who absolutely did use his and his GS was truly road worn and beaten up, not your typical pristine bike that are the normal examples. This guy, Martin his name is, had been all over the world and his bike looked like it was still carrying most of the dust and dirt accumulated. 

I don’t like the lockable top boxes either, they are quite practical but hate the way they look and I just can’t help feeling like I’m delivering for Uber Eats!

I meant April. ~ Simon Weir

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DominicDominic Frets: 15285
    yes but to deliver for Uber Eats you have to gun a 100cc scooter within an inch of it's life , ride all over the road including going round traffic lights on the pavement etc. You have to try to knock down as many pedestrians as possible and make an extra effort to weave in and out of traffic as much as possible and try especially hard to knock motorcyclists off as you attempt to collide with them whenever possible.
    It's also important to share a licence and insurance with at least 50 countrymen and all have the same name .
    They are a complete fucking menace in London .......I would say that I have about 10 incidents a week when they nearly knock me off . They need banning or very strict policing . 
    I see at least 2 a week come a cropper on the road ....entirely of their own making.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    Dominic said:
    yes but to deliver for Uber Eats you have to gun a 100cc scooter within an inch of it's life , ride all over the road including going round traffic lights on the pavement etc. You have to try to knock down as many pedestrians as possible and make an extra effort to weave in and out of traffic as much as possible and try especially hard to knock motorcyclists off as you attempt to collide with them whenever possible.
    It's also important to share a licence and insurance with at least 50 countrymen and all have the same name .
    They are a complete fucking menace in London .......I would say that I have about 10 incidents a week when they nearly knock me off . They need banning or very strict policing . 
    I see at least 2 a week come a cropper on the road ....entirely of their own making.
    John Smith? David Jones ? David Smith?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I avoid driving in London and have done it only twice in my life. Last time I was there there were more fast food delivery scooters than rats, I’m sure. 

Every time I had to stop at a red light they would appear from all directions out of nowhere like wasps round marmalade in the height of summer. 

Then they’d all disappear in disparate directions with no regard to traffic law or safety of themselves and others. 

Like you say, a real menace. And almost all of them only having done a backstreet CBT at most!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Dominic said:
    John Smith? David Jones ? David Smith?
    Those names don't sound very Brazilian so probably not
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 29588
    Haych said:
    @TheBigDipper yes I do have the BMW pannier cases for my bike. The standard GS cases I’ve seen are the Vario cases which can expand depending on what you need to fit inside. 

I was more having a dig at the people who fit the aluminium cases from SW Motech, Givi, Touratech or Lone Rider. They seem a bit ridiculous for the average Joe, and the fitting kit for some of them puts the side cases well wide, especially on the exhaust side. 

I did meet a German GS rider recently who absolutely did use his and his GS was truly road worn and beaten up, not your typical pristine bike that are the normal examples. This guy, Martin his name is, had been all over the world and his bike looked like it was still carrying most of the dust and dirt accumulated. 

I don’t like the lockable top boxes either, they are quite practical but hate the way they look and I just can’t help feeling like I’m delivering for Uber Eats!

To be fair to BMW GS riders I'm a year-round all-weather rider and on shitty days in January the only other full-size motorcycles I see are usually BMWs. 

I'm the first to take the piss out of the "I'd go around the world if I wasn't due back in the office after lunch" look, but they do seem to use their bikes more than most. 
    if I had to choose a bike just for  winter I'd get that type of bike although Id prefer a Ducati Pikes Peak V4S the minute the road looked like it was drying out
    I've had an R9T which is same engine and they ride really nicely 
    Anybody else thinking about reattaching the thermal liners in their jackets/trousers?

• KoaKoa Frets: 111
    It’s definitely getting colder, I’ll probably put my bike away soon for winter. Just came up due a service now, what’s are the thoughts on having it done now or waiting until next spring?
    Koa said:
    It’s definitely getting colder, I’ll probably put my bike away soon for winter. Just came up due a service now, what’s are the thoughts on having it done now or waiting until next spring?
    If you are going to mothball it until next year, I'd 'winterise' it, but hold off on an oil/fluids service.
    Keep it running occasionally as needed & then give it a good clean/flush out when you intend to run it regularly.
    Or, simply drain it off completely & recommission it as required.
  • jaytmonjaytmon Frets: 167
    Time to buy a winter hack is what I’m wondering?! Had an Africa Twin last year which I rode until early Dec and the road salting began. Sold it in spring and went back down to one bike - Multistrada PP which I don’t feel motivated to ride at this time of year. 
    My mileage drops significantly around this time of year. I don’t mind riding it but I’m not enthused when it’s teeming down with rain and five above freezing!

I just wish I had somewhere dry to keep the bike. The shed it lives in is better than nothing but it leaks a bit and due to the material it’s made from, condensation is a bit of an issue :/

Mine is in a large but open shed, so I add ACF-50 and a winter cover. Have considered one of those plastic tent things that you can enclose a bike in but never actually bothered. 

As an aside, I did an off-road day at the Yamaha Off-road Experience centre this week, and it was raining quite a lot of the time, but it really didn’t matter - we still had a lot of fun riding round the Hafran Forest, yet I’d definitely take the car to work for normal riding!
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1715
    edited September 2023
    I've just bought this actual bike. It's no longer attached to a side car though. It's a 1954 Ariel FH Huntmaster 650cc. I saw this video years ago and little knowing that one day I'd own the actual bike. Small world. It's immaculate and all original and probably better than the day it rolled out of the factory in Selly Oak Birmingham in March 1954.  

https://youtu.be/eMZD5lzoHkQ?feature=shared

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I had a rare ride out last weekend. A group of friends booked to stay in a large farmhouse and associated barns near Kirkby Stephen for the weekend, and I rode over on my bike. I was supposed to be going with someone else, but they pulled out.

The ride over went well, except I rode into low cloud going over a MoD range and couldn't see far enough to do more than about 20 mph!

The ride out was fine but It was raining when I set off on the return journey. All went mostly OK, but I had a bit of a moment. I came up behind a car doing about 45mph on a fairly windy road. There were plenty of places to pass though, so when one came up I opened up and rode by, I wasn't going all that fast - certainly no more than 60mph. When I was well clear and as I pulled back to the left, I hit a patch of standing water and the backend stepped out. I instinctively corrected (I used to do motocross, so I guess I just felt it), and had a bit of a handlebar wobble, then continued riding. The old ticker was racing for a few minutes after that!

The rest of the journey was uneventful and I got home in one piece.

R.
    I had a great 100 mile ride today and about 80 miles yesterday
    minimal clothing , jeans and a summer lightweight mesh jacket with a sweatshirt beneath
    not at all cold .
    It's certainly not like 2 weeks ago when I was still riding in shorts .
    I noticed a slight wind chill on the back of my neck after a while today so Balaclava on soonjaytmon said:
    Time to buy a winter hack is what I’m wondering?! Had an Africa Twin last year which I rode until early Dec and the road salting began. Sold it in spring and went back down to one bike - Multistrada PP which I don’t feel motivated to ride at this time of year. 
    Perfect bike for Autumn Spring ........I rode my v4s all through last winter ......carefully thoughKoa said:
    Really ?...........bit soon,
    I could understand if it was end Nov/December
    edited September 2023

Perfect bike for Autumn Spring ........I rode my v4s all through last winter ......carefully though
    I haven’t ridden the V4 Multi but from others’ experience it’s a different beast to the 1260, which has a 17” front wheel, and is essentially an upright sports bike. Fantastic on open roads and twisties and I absolutely love it, but still, the AT for me was a better (and friendlier) bike for cold weather; damp, bumpy county lanes and leafy B roads, with surprisingly better weather protection too. The cockpit/riding position of the V4 is more similar to the AT than the 1260 I’d say. 

Having said all that, I do know someone who used to ride a 675 Daytona all year round, so sometimes it’s just a question of commitment! 
  • PoboyPoboy Frets: 430
    Burnin, lootin, rapin' and a-shootin'....
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 29588
    Did a couple of hundred miles around Wales on Saturday and was pretty cold on the way home. I've already put the winter windscreens on the Interceptor and my wife's Bonneville yesterday as if the rest of this year is anything to go by it'll either be cold, pissing down or both from now on. 
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1715
    Haych said:
    Anybody else thinking about reattaching the thermal liners in their jackets/trousers?
    Yes. However, when it gets to that point there's only a few rides left in the year. I don't need or want to ride in cold weather anymore. My street triple is coming up for MOT soon so might lay it up in the garage and get it sorted when the weather starts improving again. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

Devil#20 said:
    Haych said:
    Yes. However, when it gets to that point there's only a few rides left in the year. I don't need or want to ride in cold weather anymore. My street triple is coming up for MOT soon so might lay it up in the garage and get it sorted when the weather starts improving again. 

Providing the weather is good and it's not brass monkeys outside I don't have any real issue with riding through the winter months.  I've had some quite good ride outs over the winter period before now.  It takes a bit more planning so you're out earlier in the day but other than that most good riding gear will keep you warm enough (and dry enough if the weather turns).

If I had a nicer bike maybe I'd think differently.  

p90fool said:
    Did a couple of hundred miles around Wales on Saturday and was pretty cold on the way home. I've already put the winter windscreens on the Interceptor and my wife's Bonneville yesterday as if the rest of this year is anything to go by it'll either be cold, pissing down or both from now on. 
    At least you don't have to factor in the windchill..............20 mph and all that !
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4501
    edited September 2023
    I've got a Keis heated jacket (body, arms and collar). Couldn't recommend it enough if you want to stay warm yet still get out in cold weather. It also has the anti Michelin Man benefit that it's really all you need. Rukka base layer, t-shirt, Keis and textile/armoured jacket. That's it. 
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2727
    I had a rare ride out last weekend. A group of friends booked to stay in a large farmhouse and associated barns near Kirkby Stephen for the weekend, and I rode over on my bike. I was supposed to be going with someone else, but they pulled out.

The ride over went well, except I rode into low cloud going over a MoD range and couldn't see far enough to do more than about 20 mph!

The ride out was fine but It was raining when I set off on the return journey. All went mostly OK, but I had a bit of a moment. I came up behind a car doing about 45mph on a fairly windy road. There were plenty of places to pass though, so when one came up I opened up and rode by, I wasn't going all that fast - certainly no more than 60mph. When I was well clear and as I pulled back to the left, I hit a patch of standing water and the backend stepped out. I instinctively corrected (I used to do motocross, so I guess I just felt it), and had a bit of a handlebar wobble, then continued riding. The old ticker was racing for a few minutes after that!

The rest of the journey was uneventful and I got home in one piece.

R.
    Thanks for sharing, I keep thinking about this and it’s helpful.  It’s so easy to get casual after a while so anything that reminds me to pay attention to everything is helpful.

I’ve had some nice rides recently up to Staffordshire, Stratford on Avon and down the estuary and through the Forest of Dean (hoping a deer or boar wouldn’t run out and kill me).

Been riding for a year now.  I’ve had the shittiest of shit years and ironically my bike and riding have been something of a life saver for me.
    I had a hairy moment last week .......going fairly quickly around a big roundabout well canted over........
    I saw it at the last split second .......a thick ,oily 7m long diesel spill 
    it was too late and a bit too quick to change line or brake so I just rolled the throttle forward and held my breath
    about three-quarters of the way through it I felt the back slide out .......felt like a foot but was probably about 2 inches .
    Fortunately the tyre seemed to bite again and on I went (gently ) 

• Dominic said:
    I had a hairy moment last week .......going fairly quickly around a big roundabout well canted over........
    I saw it at the last split second .......a thick ,oily 7m long diesel spill 
    it was too late and a bit too quick to change line or brake so I just rolled the throttle forward and held my breath
    about three-quarters of the way through it I felt the back slide out .......felt like a foot but was probably about 2 inches .
    Fortunately the tyre seemed to bite again and on I went (gently ) 

Didn't you see the marshals waving their oil flags? :-) 

Glad you got through OK.
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1334
    edited October 2023
    ^ Cool thing that - and decent value IMO.

On the subject of older HDs..

Took my own old Rhino over to an HD specialist in the next County across  yesterday for a quick once-over to scope some work I want done over the Winter. I know, I should do it myself...but things like changing fork seals and drilling out obstinate brake-nipples.. no thanks. Life's just too short.

Main reason for the visit was a general unease / concern about the general mechanical state of the engine - and in particular a subtle but very-definitely-there engine-speed related metallic rattle that was bugging me. The bike is over 30 years old at this stage after all. I'd already checked the compression and knew it was good, but was starting to have visions about worn lifters, a knackered primary-chain, excessive end-play in the crank etc etc.

The pro started her up, listened for 10 seconds and then pointed to a loose side cover...  Ffs..

Anyways, he proceeded to pull out a mechanic's stethoscope with the long metal probe, and went round listening carefully to the noises coming from the innards at about half a dozen different points on the big mill. Pronounced it fighting fit, and ready for anything I'd care to throw at it (until he saw the tyres that is..). Big weight off my mind tbh though - and nice to meet a really honest guy.

Sitting down now to work out the wish-list for the Winter rebuild - what I'll do, and what'd be better left to him. Actually looking forward to it for once 
    I think the best bang for the buck on an Evo has got to be a Mikuni flat slide( or an Sand S ) carb and an exhaust change so that it can breathe /induct a bit better........thet will give you 20 % enhancement then think about a Cam Change for Andrews Cam
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1334
    edited October 2023
    ^ It's a tough one.

One of the PO's fitted a slightly bigger throated Squawkin' Chickin brand carb and filter and the straight-through silencers, but it definitely isn't what you'd call quick. It is tempting to go down the performance upgrades route but am a bit conflicted about modifying it engine-wise. Part of the appeal of the thing for me is the fact that it's a big lazy old thumper of an engine that I can scoot about on with less risk (hopefully..) of running out of road and luck and ending up wrapped round a tree or in a hedge somewhere.

I have been looking at exhausts though. I'd definitely like something which gives it more of that deep-throated growl it has when you take the baffles out, but without the associated  ear destroying racket. Replacement pipes for the FXRs are a bit of a niche market with the bikes being so long out of production. They all tend to cost a fortune, around a grand upwards usually, and they're nearly all 2 into 1 systems, which aesthetically suffer a bit (imo).  A couple of bigger volume replacement silencers might be the answer, but they're similarly not exactly plentiful on either the new or used market.

On the carb front, again not being overly worried about the performance, I'm torn between keeping it orignal(ish) and just getting a rebuild kit for the Keihin and making sure it's jetted and set up properly - or - going down the full big bore Mikuni route.

Probably will ultimately come down to the cost - a toss up between spending a little sorting it out as is, or spending c.£1500 on the well-trodden carb & pipe upgrade route. That may ultimately force the issue as to whether it's going to be a real long-term keeper or not.

First world problems I know