Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Any Motörbike riders here? - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Any Motörbike riders here?

What's Hot

Comments

• AK99AK99 Frets: 1334
    Yeah - there's no single answer unfortunately. Most fairings will reduce the wind load on your chest (depending on the size of them of course), which can be a good thing if your seating position is bolt-upright, or perhaps not so good if it's a more aggressive position with loads of weight on your wrists at low speeds, and the extra drag helps ease the weight off your wrists.

By way of comparison, I used to have a VRod with a little nose fairing, and inevitably found myself cruising at about 60-65mph on long runs. Any more than that and it started to feel like I was doing situps trying to hold myself into the breeze. Conversely, on my brother's VFR750 on the same run, you could sit at anywhere between 60 and the ton and hardly be able to tell the difference.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 29588
    A lot depends on the seat. If it's just a plank like my Interceptor I naturally just slide back a few inches at motorway speeds so I can relax into the wind a little.
    On bikes with a single or divided seat, or with a passenger, the relationship between seat, bars and pegs becomes more critical at high speed.

I have a small screen I fit if I'm doing a long distance with a passenger for this reason, but the angle is critical to avoid buffeting. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DominicDominic Frets: 15285
    A wrong shape screen or one that doesn't 'cut' the air is worse than naked .....as P90 says,you  just get a horrible wind pocket of buffeting and pobbling your helmet .
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2727
    Thanks guys, that’s all really helpful for me.  Sounds like it’s something I need to get used to over time and adjust accordingly, either by riding speeds or fairings.  It’s reassuring that it’s a universal factor rather than my riding style or something I’m doing wrong.
  • And now for something completely different... intercoms.

I've got a Cardo PackTalk Bold. I use it just to listen to satnav directions and that's about it. I don't make or receive phone calls, I don't use it to talk to other riders, I don't listen to music when I'm riding. I used to use the mic, but no longer. The unit itself is fine, but after a few years of ownership, the speakers and mic and wiring in general is worn out and at least one speaker is faulty. I've installed it into three helmets and just bought a new one - another Shoei GT-Air 2. (Replacing an AGV K6 which - over time - wasn't as good). 

So, I could bin it and buy a Sena SRL-02, which is designed to integrate into the Shoei almost invisibly. Or I could replace the speakers/mic/wiring on the Cardo. Or I could find some "in ear" speakers that also protect against wind noise and plug them into the Cardo instead. 

And that's my preferred choice - "in ears". Wired or wireless. I'll either connect directly to the satnav (bluetooth) or use the Cardo and plug them in. I find that intercoms with speakers in the helmet can be very quiet if you're wearing earplugs.

Who on here uses "in ears" for riding? If so, what? Would you recommend them? Are they comfy for a couple of hours wearing in a close-fitting helmet? Do they have a 3.5mm stereo jackplug at the end of the cable (if wired)?

Ta! 
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5218
    I have in ears. If you’re going to get them then please, please, please use Ultimate Ear. I used somebody else and the customer service is shocking. 

Ultimate Ear can provide in ears with a 3.5mm Jack or they have a Bluetooth version which will connect directly to your phone. I don’t think any comms will actually connect to a Bluetooth audio output. 

If you take directions from your phone or other BT nav device then this is the way I would go. Fewer wires and fewer cables to fail. 

Hope this helps. 

The “other” manufacturers product is fine, just their customer service that’s poor. 

I meant April. ~ Simon Weir

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Another +1 for Ultimate Ears, though I’m just using their filtered moulded types without any inbuilt monitors. :)
  • Haych said:
    I have in ears. If you’re going to get them then please, please, please use Ultimate Ear. I used somebody else and the customer service is shocking. 

Ultimate Ear can provide in ears with a 3.5mm Jack or they have a Bluetooth version which will connect directly to your phone. I don’t think any comms will actually connect to a Bluetooth audio output. 

If you take directions from your phone or other BT nav device then this is the way I would go. Fewer wires and fewer cables to fail. 

Hope this helps. 

The “other” manufacturers product is fine, just their customer service that’s poor. 
    How are the BT ones for battery life? My Cardo can last all day (and recharge on the move if needed). 
    edited August 2023
    Haych said:

Hope this helps. 

How are the BT ones for battery life? My Cardo can last all day (and recharge on the move if needed). 
    I have no personal experience but I would imagine they are on par with most other bluetooth earbuds.  Their website states music playback time is 8 + hours with a recharge time of 3 hours.

More details here.

Hope this helps.

Edit: If you already have the Cardo unit and you're happy with it then you might find the regular SoundEar product is more pragmatic.

When I bought my Cardo I did have a couple of buddies who I used to ride with so it was useful for comms, they drifted away a while ago now and I've only used the Cardo for actually speaking to other riders once in the last year.

If I was looking for a solution for SatNav audio directions only and possibly occasional music, and didn't necessarily need a comms unit, then if I was buying now I'd seriously consider the bluetooth option.  

Mine are wired and plug into the Cardo unit via a 3.5mm jack.  It works ok but the cable is always a bit of a nuisance even though I've wrapped most of it up inside the helmet.

I've also noticed that having the Packtalk attached to the side of the helmet creates some extra wind noise on that side as well.

I use the Cardo + the wired earbuds now because that's what I have but if I was doing it again I would quite fancy the bluetooth option.

I'm very surprised Cardo, Senna, etc. don't support bluetooth audio - that would be the best of both worlds, just use the bluetooth plugs for normal use and still have the option to use the Cardo for comms when you need to.  Ho hum.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • And now for something completely different... intercoms.

I've got a Cardo PackTalk Bold. I use it just to listen to satnav directions and that's about it. I don't make or receive phone calls, I don't use it to talk to other riders, I don't listen to music when I'm riding. I used to use the mic, but no longer. The unit itself is fine, but after a few years of ownership, the speakers and mic and wiring in general is worn out and at least one speaker is faulty. I've installed it into three helmets and just bought a new one - another Shoei GT-Air 2. (Replacing an AGV K6 which - over time - wasn't as good). 

So, I could bin it and buy a Sena SRL-02, which is designed to integrate into the Shoei almost invisibly. Or I could replace the speakers/mic/wiring on the Cardo. Or I could find some "in ear" speakers that also protect against wind noise and plug them into the Cardo instead. 

And that's my preferred choice - "in ears". Wired or wireless. I'll either connect directly to the satnav (bluetooth) or use the Cardo and plug them in. I find that intercoms with speakers in the helmet can be very quiet if you're wearing earplugs.

Who on here uses "in ears" for riding? If so, what? Would you recommend them? Are they comfy for a couple of hours wearing in a close-fitting helmet? Do they have a 3.5mm stereo jackplug at the end of the cable (if wired)?

Ta! 

I use Freedconn. 
    They cost me about £70 for a pair of them - and they are really good to be honest.
    They've gone up since I got them (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175430641575)
    I wear ear plugs all the time on the bike - and they are plenty loud enough - the quality of sound is excellent and battery life is around 20hrs riding. Had them around 5 yrs now. Can recommend.
    edited August 2023
    Another slight change of thread direction - took the 675 down to Mondello for a track day yesterday. Was wet as hell on the way down, and made the amateur mistake of taking my mirrors off before I left, so between the rain, spray coming off the lorries and dirty bogging visor after the first 10 minutes, could hardly see a thing and was almost afraid to change lanes on the Motorway stretches on the way there.

Anyways,  got there in the end. Track was wet and slippy at first but dried out and got grippy later. Managed to blag a few sessions one-to-one with the instructors there, and had a ball of a time chasing the pros who really know what they're at, and go just hard enough to stretch you out of your comfort zone. You definitely leave a quicker rider, and with a lot more confidence. I knew the lines from my car days, but was braking far too early, and not moving around the bike properly. Got the braking sorted, but still work to be done on the body front (I always sit too far forward, a hangover from offroad riding as a kid, being wary of losing the front end. You can't really hang off properly if you're sitting with your nuts on the tank )

Hadn't much time for photos, but was sharing the pit-garage with a few other machines including everything from full-on race bikes to this big 1200 road going Kwack with flat bars:

Felt a bit out of place being along with the Kawaski rider one of the half dozen riders who didn't bring their bike (and tyre warmers) in a van - and one of about only two without either brand new or freshly scuffed full one-piece leathers and a GPS/accelerometer controlled airbag vest.

Have to look at the airbags a bit more closely. The guy in the safety briefing laid on the risk-benefits case fairly heavily.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    ^ For a moment I thought you had ridden down to Italy :-D
    edited August 2023
    The local version that is. (The puddles of rainwater in the pitlane and garages is a bit of a giveaway..)
    Another helmet query.

I'm coming to terms with the fact that while a full-face helmet cuts down on wind noise - wearing one with the visor down on the Harley seems to amplify the low frequency boom/thud of the engine and makes for a not very pleasant experience.

I'm being drawn more and more towards the open-face lid again, albeit struggling a bit with the wind-noise and getting draughts into my eyes at higher speeds. The wind noise I can handle with ear-plugs, but a question for you guys who like to wear open face helmets.

What do you use to keep the airflow out of your eyes: bike goggles / a visor / those little goggles jockeys wear / wraparound shades /  wraparounds with that fancy foam on the frames  / or is simply a case of slow down and/or HTFU ? :)

sunglasses of any kind so long as they look cool !
    Goggles always make me think of Mr Sheen
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2777
    tFB Trader
    Padded shades here, like these - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322809090246?var=512571323641
    They seem fine with windblast for me at legal motorway speeds, work well. I get itchy eye hayfever easily, these help a lot there. Though some days I'm fucked no matter ..

Seems to be a few places selling the same thing with minor badge changes. I did break one set, the arms are pretty thin near the bend bit so watch as you poke 'em in. There might be better ones for more ££s, I haven't ventured past cheapo territory.
    I've tried a few different pairs of shades, but at anywhere above about 50mph I get draughts coming round the sides of them and if you get up around 70 then my eyes start to water like hell. Have thought about the foam-backed 'biker-shades' but they have a bit of an OCC Fanboy vibe about them, and look like sh1te quality things with cheap foam and a premium price tag stuck on top :(
    AK99 said:
    I've tried a few different pairs of shades, but at anywhere above about 50mph I get draughts coming round the sides of them and if you get up around 70 then my eyes start to water like hell. Have thought about the foam-backed 'biker-shades' but they have a bit of an OCC Fanboy vibe about them, and look like sh1te quality things with cheap foam and a premium price tag stuck on top :(
    Have you looked into safety glasses?
    Cheap, well specced & a surprising range of options, although as you mention they can fall into an OCC/Oakley vibe  ;)
    Examples, https://www.uvex-safety.co.uk/en/products/safety-eyewear/
    https://www.bolle-safety.com/gb/
    Funny - since I read about them on here, I realised I had a couple of pair of those clear Bollé safety glasses in the garage that some workies must have left behind, and use them when I can't be arsed to go looking for anything else :)

They do work, apart from the wind-draught issue.

Like the look of these Bollé googles, but was wondering if you'd lose a big chunk of peripheral vision wearing them:

https://www.bolle-safety.com/gb/industrial/goggles/safety-goggles/universal-goggle-UNIVERSALGOGGLE_INDUSTRIAL.html
    edited August 2023
    Came across these equestrian ones in a similar vein - maybe worth a look ? Kinda cool looking

https://www.ejwicks.co.uk/ssg-safety-goggles
    I guess that's why with glasses (as with guitar stuff) there are almost infinite variations on a theme, but no definitive solutions  :#
    Must be a personal thing.......I don't get any eye watering at any speed even if I don't wear glasses 
    I have had foam rimmed ones which were great but they tended to steam up a bit
    Can't see me making it on the steely-eyed righteous Bro' front anytime soon alas Dominic :)

Might invest in some of those Bolle or Jockey googles shortly - see how they go.
    You could just do some work on your steely narrow eyed Clint gaze  ;)  Sorted.

20 Stunning Photographs of Clint Eastwood Posing With Motorcycles From
    edited August 2023
    Prefer the Butch look me'self..

• jaytmonjaytmon Frets: 167
    Zed’s dead baby, Zed’s dead…
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Jorge Martín telling physics to piss off as he's a bit busy at the moment ...

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I'm just back from holibobs around the south of Spain and the Balearics.

It was an interesting trip and I saw many, many, many motorcycles.  

Spain seems to love motorbikes, if you need to get somewhere on the south coast of Spain or in the Spanish islands then a bike is your best method of transport.

Need to get the mother-in-law to the dentist?  Plop her on the back of your bike.

Need to shift a large TV?  Get your pillion to hold it on the back of your bike (yes, I did see this in Cadiz).

Need to move a heavy potted plant?  Again, get your pillion to hold it for you (and I did see this also).

Safety is interesting over there too.  I get that it's a little bit warmer than Blighty and wearing full gear would be uncomfortably hot, but they seem to go completely the opposite way - other than a helmet (which I reckon they only wear because it's the law, and they would probably forego that if they could) then whatever shorts and flip-flops you happen to have on that day is all you really need.

I enjoyed their relaxed approach.  Given the weather, their love for bikes and the provisions made for bikes, I may have to consider altering my retirement plans.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I've been riding like that today ........I think@P90 fool is of the same mentality
    Went out on the bike for the first time yesterday in about four weeks due to a holiday and then I came down with the flippin' lurgi on the day I came home!

@thebreeze and I have been talking about meeting up for a couple of months and yesterday we made it happen at a little place called The Halfway, which by sheer coincidence just happens to be pretty much halfway between us!

It was a gorgeous little place in a idillic location we spend a good hour together chatting over a drink before having to head home, racing the sunset all the way.  

Steve's Z900RS is gorgeous, here it is next to my old donkey in the pub carpark - shame I didn't get a better pic.

The ride home was really good fun - I didn't go bonkers but did have to tell myself to calm down a bit early on, but once I got onto more familiar roads I kept the pace up and the smile-factor high.

Thanks, Steve, hope we can do it again sometime.  If any other FBers fancy meeting up somewhere/sometime then the more the merrier - maybe we could start theFretboard MC lol (just kidding).