Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Line 6 Helix - Digital & Modelling Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3376

But I still wonder which volume control is "best" to use..
    I don't think that it makes any material difference from a sound point of view, it all comes down to operation.

As you've already de-activated control of the main XLR outs you have handed control of the FoH level to the Sound Engineer, which is how it should be.  When it comes to adjusting your monitor levels then things are in your hands and it's just a case of saying - which is easiest for me to control / which am I least likely to move accidentally?

Since I'm the person mixing from the stage I make all of my adjustments, FoH and monitor, from my mixer.  If I had the luxury of an Engineer out front then I'd proberly adopt your method and use the Helix vol control.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1591
    yeah. well it's easier to adjust the dial at my feet than reach around the back of the cab... but.. should I be giving the cab a louder signal perhaps??
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 2922
    Musicwolf said:

1) for those using frfr speakers with their helix, do you prefer to max out the volume from the Helix and adjust frfr amp volume, or have the frfr amp volume turned up and therefore have a lower output from the helix?

I've bypassed the volume control on my Helix by assigninging it to 'Digital' (I am not using the digital out).  Global Settings > Ins / Outs > Volume Knob Controls = Digital.  It saves me from getting caught out whereby I don't spot that the volume control has shifted in transit, since the mark on the dial isn't very clear.

I'm direct to PA with my monitor being fed from an aux bus on the desk so I am, in effect, adjusting the FRFR amp volume.

I have also changed that setting, to 1/4 inch only, which is how I feed my FRFR. I feed the PA with an XLR.

I feed the PA from the XLRs, set to mic-level and fixed volume, and I rely on the PA monitoring to hear myself. If I have my own monitor on stage, I set the level on the monitor to max and feed that from the 1/4" output, set to line-level and controlled by the volume knob on the Helix. 

R.
    Musicwolf said:

1) for those using frfr speakers with their helix, do you prefer to max out the volume from the Helix and adjust frfr amp volume, or have the frfr amp volume turned up and therefore have a lower output from the helix?

I've bypassed the volume control on my Helix by assigninging it to 'Digital' (I am not using the digital out).  Global Settings > Ins / Outs > Volume Knob Controls = Digital.  It saves me from getting caught out whereby I don't spot that the volume control has shifted in transit, since the mark on the dial isn't very clear.

I'm direct to PA with my monitor being fed from an aux bus on the desk so I am, in effect, adjusting the FRFR amp volume.

I have also changed that setting, to 1/4 inch only, which is how I feed my FRFR. I feed the PA with an XLR.

I feed the PA from the XLRs, set to mic-level and fixed volume, and I rely on the PA monitoring to hear myself. If I have my own monitor on stage, I set the level on the monitor to max and feed that from the 1/4" output, set to line-level and controlled by the volume knob on the Helix. 

R.

So you prefer to have the monitor volume cranked as opposed to the Helix volume knob..  interesting.. I have been doing it that way for years but recently questioned if it was the "right way" if you get me..  It certainly allows a lot more headroom control immediately at my feet (my Laney LFR112 is backline form factor and thus positioned behind me).

My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 2922
    Musicwolf said:

R.

So you prefer to have the monitor volume cranked as opposed to the Helix volume knob..  interesting.. I have been doing it that way for years but recently questioned if it was the "right way" if you get me..  It certainly allows a lot more headroom control immediately at my feet (my Laney LFR112 is backline form factor and thus positioned behind me).

Yeah, that's what works best for me. It's typically how things work in the PA world, ie. you set your stack/monitors to full-volume and control the actual level by what you send to the stack.

R.
    Musicwolf said:

R.

Yeah, that's what works best for me. It's typically how things work in the PA world, ie. you set your stack/monitors to full-volume and control the actual level by what you send to the stack.

R.

Well that makes sense in that scenario; you can hardly go around all the speakers adjusting each volume control..    I guess I just thought any speaker needs the best (loudest?) signal it can get..
    My trading feedback

• chris45chris45 Frets: 217
    Can anyone help with the following:
    I want to be able to connect my Helix via USB for stereo recording.  I want the audio output from the Helix and the PC itself to go to my mini monitors.  The obvious solution is to connect the monitors direct to the Helix BUT ...
    ...the PC has become a family PC and I would rather not have to power up the Helix in order to have PC audio output (basically, kids, get away from my music stuff).
    So I am guessing I need some sort of (always on) mixer that can take the audio out from the Helix and the audio out from the PC, and route to the monitors.
    Is this the best solution?  If so, please suggest appropriate hardware - thanks!
    When you are not using the PC for guitar, i.e. when the family are using it, are you still using the mini monitors?
    chris45 said:
    Can anyone help with the following:
    I want to be able to connect my Helix via USB for stereo recording.  I want the audio output from the Helix and the PC itself to go to my mini monitors.  The obvious solution is to connect the monitors direct to the Helix BUT ...
    ...the PC has become a family PC and I would rather not have to power up the Helix in order to have PC audio output (basically, kids, get away from my music stuff).
    So I am guessing I need some sort of (always on) mixer that can take the audio out from the Helix and the audio out from the PC, and route to the monitors.
    Is this the best solution?  If so, please suggest appropriate hardware - thanks!

I have a set of speakers attached to the PC for general usage.
    I have a set of monitors attached to the Helix for that purpose.

So rather than buy a mixer that you have to turn on..  get some cheap PC speakers.

My trading feedback

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • chris45chris45 Frets: 217
    Musicwolf said:
    When you are not using the PC for guitar, i.e. when the family are using it, are you still using the mini monitors?
    Yes - they provide the PC sound output
    chris45 said:
    Musicwolf said:
    Yes - they provide the PC sound output
    I'd go with @bloodandtears suggestion above then.

• sgosdensgosden Frets: 1927
    is it possible to do the stacked snapshot thing on the big helix?

sgosden said:

stacked snapshot??
    My trading feedback

sgosden said:

stacked snapshot??
    yeah. where on the stomp/fx you can change the application of a button after its pressed. 

sgosden said:
    sgosden said:

stacked snapshot??
    yeah. where on the stomp/fx you can change the application of a button after its pressed. 

Never seen this, button given the helix had 8 snapshot buttons I doubt it. 
    My trading feedback

Yes, you can do this with the full size Helix. 
  • shuikitshuikit Frets: 221
    This is just using command centre to assign snapshots to footswitches (you have to be in stomp box mode) so this is all the same for the Helix, though I can't remember if I've specifically tried it.
  • VoxsupertwinVoxsupertwin Frets: 270
    Just gone back to Helix after 2 years trying/using inferior gear…..bought a rack for home studio use….excellent, like an old friend ….
    shuikit said:
    This is just using command centre to assign snapshots to footswitches (you have to be in stomp box mode) so this is all the same for the Helix, though I can't remember if I've specifically tried it.

Command Centre is the key.  I've also had it set up whereby you start in say Snapshot 1, you press and hold a footswitch and whilst you hold it you are in Snapshot 2 then, when you release it, you are in Snapshot 3.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 885
    edited May 2023

edited May 2023
    Hold Down both FS1 & FS7 (bottom left hand buttons) to enter Snapshot foot switch mode. The camera should appear on the screen (top right) with a number inside, showing which Snapshot number you are playing with.

Helix LT Cheat Sheet —> https://medias.audiofanzine.com/files/helixlt-cheatsheet-480092.pdf
    Just gone back to Helix after 2 years trying/using inferior gear…..bought a rack for home studio use….excellent, like an old friend ….
    @Voxsupertwin ;
    What gear did you use before the switch back? Neural?
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 618
    shuikit said:
    What I tend to do is have a default snapshot set (typically 2) and FS 7-11 set to snapshots 1,6,3,4 so a press on FS8 selects snapshot 6. In snapshot 6, FS7-11 are set to 1,2,3,4 and so on. So all 8 snapshots can be selected by a max of two button presses. The rest of the foot switches enable stomps etc.

The only downside is that the LED rings don't light up on the button pressed, but it's easy enough to work out from the label.
    normula1 said:
    shuikit said:
    What I tend to do is have a default snapshot set (typically 2) and FS 7-11 set to snapshots 1,6,3,4 so a press on FS8 selects snapshot 6. In snapshot 6, FS7-11 are set to 1,2,3,4 and so on. So all 8 snapshots can be selected by a max of two button presses. The rest of the foot switches enable stomps etc.

The only downside is that the LED rings don't light up on the button pressed, but it's easy enough to work out from the label.
    Do you mean FS7-10? 4 buttons in total.. 

I'd love to see one of your patches in hx edit, share one? 
    My trading feedback

Command centre ! I hadn't looked there!

(I hadn't looked hard at all If in honest. Easier and more conversation starting to ask) 

Theres some good ideas here. 
    @normula1 that sounds very confusing , but I'm sure its logical when it's at your feet
    sgosden said:
    Command centre ! I hadn't looked there!

Command Centre really is key to unlocking the Helix so it's well worth getting to grips with it.

You don't need to be constrained to using either Stomp (switching individual 'pedals' on or off) or Snapshot.  You can assign any pedal to operate individual pedals or Snapshots within the same board.  Equally you can make a single footswitch operate more than one pedal simultaneously (without using Snapshots) or to change settings in an effect (rather than just on or off).

I have mine set so that I have the minimum number of pedals active for that song, that way I avoid hitting things accidentally.  If a song has just two states, say rhythm and solo, then I can have just two switches active (called 'Rhythm' and 'Solo') or even a single switch to toggle between the two states.  Press to go from 'Rhythm' to 'Solo', press the same switch again to go back.

• VoxsupertwinVoxsupertwin Frets: 270
    duotone said:
    @Voxsupertwin ;
    What gear did you use before the switch back? Neural?
    EVENTIDE H9, Humboldt Preamp
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 618
    normula1 said:
    shuikit said:

Do you mean FS7-10? 4 buttons in total.. 

I'd love to see one of your patches in hx edit, share one? 
    Yes, just the 4 buttons for all 8 snapshots... I typically have clean with modulation & delay, clean, crunch and lead, with alternates for snapshots 5-8.

More than happy to share a patch
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    Does anyone know if it's possible to set up a pair of Boss FS5Us to emulate the record and play buttons of the looper? Because cello, I need to work them with my right foot, but because cello I can't put the whole thing to my right. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    Sporky said:
    Does anyone know if it's possible to set up a pair of Boss FS5Us to emulate the record and play buttons of the looper? Because cello, I need to work them with my right foot, but because cello I can't put the whole thing to my right. 
    @Digital_Igloo ;