Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Line 6 Helix - Digital & Modelling Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• I'll get this done on Native tonight. The dual cabs look great for stereo stuff. 
    They are fantastic. The inclusion of delay makes them superb for headphone use, the one thing I found lacking in my HX Stomp previously. 

The new Dynamic Ambient reverb is fantastic too. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I've been enjoying this update immensely. The dual cabs with delays and new reverb together are pretty stunning in stereo imo. I like the new Peavey amp a lot also. Some great sounds to be had.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 189
    edited November 2022
    Bod said:
    It finally sounds good without any faffing about.
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3376
    I'm really impressed by this upgrade.  I've owned a Kemper for seven years and a Helix for, I'm guessing, about four years?  I use the Helix for live work (due to its flexibility / control features) but I've always preferred the Kemper for studio work as, to my ears, it sounds so much better.  This upgrade has brought the two so much closer together.

I've spent the last couple of days modifying forty-odd patches from the live set but it has been well worth it (and didn't seem like a chore as the results were so rewarding).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Agreed. Fantastic update. I haven’t really got the most of out the new cab up grade because I have a selection of IRs that I love and am really used to the sound of. But the dual IR function is fantastic especially when combined with the new dynamic ambience effect. The Sun Model T is far and away my favourite amp and the Pillars overdrive is stellar. 

Again have switched all my presets to incorporate these new additions where appropriate and the step up in sound is amazing!
  • Has made a huge difference to my ears. Everything just sounds better. 
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1927

Has 3.6 dropped ? 
    Cant seen any details online but @JohnCordy has a video out? 

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    Amps
    Grammatico GSG 100
    Line 6 Elmsley (parallel distortion)
    Aguilar Tone Hammer ("Agua Sledge")

Cabs
    •  1×12 Blue Bell (Single, Dual), captured from the 1×12″ Vox AC-15 Blue Alnico
    •  1×12 Open Cream (Single, Dual), captured from a custom 1×12″ open back cabinet G12M-65
    • 1×12 Open Cast (Single, Dual), captured from a custom 1×12″ open back cabinet EVM12L
    • 2×12 Silver Bell (Single, Dual), captured from the 2×12″ Vox AC-30TB Silver Alnico
    • 2×12 Match H30 (Single, Dual), captured from the 2×12″ Matchless DC-30 custom G12H-30
    • 2×12 Match G25 (Single, Dual), captured from the 2×12″ Matchless DC-30 custom G12M-25
    • 4×12 Greenback 20 (Single, Dual), captured from the 4×12″ Marshall Basketweave G12M-20
    • 1×12 Epicenter (Single, Dual), captured from the 1×12″ Epifani Ultralight series cabinet
    • 4×10 Ampeg Pro (Single, Dual), captured from the 4×10″ Ampeg PR-410HLF

FX
    • Dark Dove Fuzz - Russian Big Muff Pi
    • Triple Rotary - Yamaha RA-200 rotary speaker

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 885
    Amps
    Grammatico GSG 100

Really looking forward to trying this amp out.
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 618
    And installed.. only had a very brief play but quite liking the new Grammatico
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1927
    aha there it is. Must be me being a plank :) 
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2100
    Nice unexpected additions, and bass models! 
  • JotaJota Frets: 449
    edited April 2023
    I thought I'd dig the Dumble amp but I can't get a good sound out of it.
    Totally my fault cause there's too much going on and I always have a hard time with something that goes past the the two band EQ and a volume...
    I tried @JohnCordy's ; preset and there's one sound I like there but it won't take the place of the Plexi Brit has my live amp.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    I'm looking forward to trying the Tonehammer bass amp.

I've wanted to try a real one for a while, but none of the shops near me have one.
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2072
    edited April 2023
    Jota said:
    I thought I'd dig the Dumble amp but I can't get a good sound out of it...

I like the basic default clean sound when just bringing up the (Dumble) Grammatico GSG Amp+Cab on it's own, after dialling back the Drive to about 3 and raising the Channel volume to suit. But I expect that depends on the output of your guitar pickups

Setting the Mid switch to 'On' adds some nice body.
    Setting the Bright setting on 1 adds some nice sparkle.

Up until now the US Princess was my goto for clean sounds (after dialling back the drive) but I'm really liking the Grammatico GSG for clean sounds.

I've yet to get a decent sound when turning on the OD switch. Reminds me of my HRD IV

It's not a competition.
    I've just installed and, first impressions, I really like the Grammatico GSG amp.
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 2922
    Oooh, looking forward to trying the Grammatico and the Yamaha Rotary.
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 618
    Jota said:
    I thought I'd dig the Dumble amp but I can't get a good sound out of it...

I like the basic default clean sound when just bringing up the (Dumble) Grammatico GSG Amp+Cab on it's own, after dialling back the Drive to about 3 and raising the Channel volume to suit. But I expect that depends on the output of your guitar pickups

Setting the Mid switch to 'On' adds some nice body.
    Setting the Bright setting on 1 adds some nice sparkle.

Up until now the US Princess was my goto for clean sounds (after dialling back the drive) but I'm really liking the Grammatico GSG for clean sounds.

I've yet to get a decent sound when turning on the OD switch. Reminds me of my HRD IV

I paired it with the new dual H30 cab, turned jazz/rock to jazz and upped the OD drive a smidge to compensate. Sounds pretty good to me with a HSS Strat. I shall play more over the weekend. Looking forward to seeing if the new Yamaha rotary is any better than existing ones. 
    OK, I just tried it again but with a FRFR cab instead of my IEM. I can get a nice lead tone but the cleans lack spank and sparkle. I'll try messing with it a bit more tomorrow. 
    Jota said:
    OK, I just tried it again but with a FRFR cab instead of my IEM. I can get a nice lead tone but the cleans lack spank and sparkle. I'll try messing with it a bit more tomorrow. 

...and I can make it sound good but it's definitely not my thing.
    The real surprise was the Elmsley. Paired with a alnico Blue IR it's just an amazing Vox-meets-Tweed amp that loves drive pedals!
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4445

What’s the new rotary like?

I’m not a massive fan of the existing ones, but always on the look out for a decent one without spending Pulse/Lex/Vent money
  • NickBNickB Frets: 156
    Jota said:
    Jota said:

...and I can make it sound good but it's definitely not my thing.
    The real surprise was the Elmsley. Paired with a alnico Blue IR it's just an amazing Vox-meets-Tweed amp that loves drive pedals!
    The Elmsley into my Fryette Powerstation and a 1x12 cab is a revelation. The Grammatico GSG 100. Is a tricky beast to dial in but sounds awesome for solos. 
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1896
    The Elmsley is absolutely outstanding. Maybe my favourite amp model ever I've played. Really amazing and so easy to dial in, but versatile too. NFB parameter is fun to play with.

Bravo Line 6, another great (free) upgrade. 
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2072
    edited April 2023
    I really like the new 'Open Cast' cab, especially after I changed the default Mic to an SM57. All my personal presets sound better with that cab. I think that's going to be my 'go to cab' going forwards.

I Googled the EVM12L used for that cab. Blimey, the real speaker is expensive, but seems to be highly regarded.

It's not a competition.
  • Oh I'll have to update mine this weekend...not used it really even since I done the previous 3.5 update folks raves about..maybe I'll find out what I've been missing.  My bands singer though was impressed with the sound of the Helix a few months ago when I used it for a couple of rehearsals...just me being so old school I never make the transition to live playing beyond the occasional outing. Just prefer amp n pedals...but my Helix is a keeper for home n studio use.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 885
    I really like the new 'Open Cast' cab, especially after I changed the default Mic to an SM57. All my personal presets sound better with that cab. I think that's going to be my 'go to cab' going forwards.

I Googled the EVM12L used for that cab. Blimey, the real speaker is expensive, but seems to be highly regarded.

Thanks @stratman3142 I’ll give that Open Cast cab + SM57 mic a try & see how it affects some of my existing presets.
  • bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1591
    Couple of questions..

1) for those using frfr speakers with their helix, do you prefer to max out the volume from the Helix and adjust frfr amp volume, or have the frfr amp volume turned up and therefore have a lower output from the helix?

2) rack users, anyone with a mission expression pedal into the controller tried to use a mono jack to  mono jack splitter cable to enable use of expression 1 and 1 inputs? 
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

1) for those using frfr speakers with their helix, do you prefer to max out the volume from the Helix and adjust frfr amp volume, or have the frfr amp volume turned up and therefore have a lower output from the helix?

I've bypassed the volume control on my Helix by assigninging it to 'Digital' (I am not using the digital out).  Global Settings > Ins / Outs > Volume Knob Controls = Digital.  It saves me from getting caught out whereby I don't spot that the volume control has shifted in transit, since the mark on the dial isn't very clear.

I'm direct to PA with my monitor being fed from an aux bus on the desk so I am, in effect, adjusting the FRFR amp volume.
  • bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1591
    Musicwolf said:

I've bypassed the volume control on my Helix by assigninging it to 'Digital' (I am not using the digital out).  Global Settings > Ins / Outs > Volume Knob Controls = Digital.  It saves me from getting caught out whereby I don't spot that the volume control has shifted in transit, since the mark on the dial isn't very clear.

I'm direct to PA with my monitor being fed from an aux bus on the desk so I am, in effect, adjusting the FRFR amp volume.

I have also changed that setting, to 1/4 inch only, which is how I feed my FRFR. I feed the PA with an XLR.

But I still wonder which volume control is "best" to use..
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?