Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Line 6 Helix - Digital & Modelling Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• rich75rich75 Frets: 35
    John_P said:
    Another hxstomp related question - given the limitations, what amp modells are people using to give a clean and dirty sound in one preset?   

Ideally I'd like to use snapshots to change the amp model but it struggles to do that so has anyone found tow that go together and still have capacity for an od pedal, delay and reverb
     or have you found an amp model that sounds ok with clean and higher gain sounds that I can just change the drive?  (most seem to work well with one or the other)
    I use the Whowatt for that. It needs a drive pedal in front (I use the Tubescreamer one - can't remember what it's called) to push it into (slightly) higher gain territory but that works well for me and leaves scope for delay, reverb etc.

I haven't tried it myself yet but the new Ventoux amp is supposed to be good for both clean and dirty sounds too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • abw1989abw1989 Frets: 569
    John_P said:
    Another hxstomp related question - given the limitations, what amp modells are people using to give a clean and dirty sound in one preset?   
    Don't be scared to look at the Line6 amps down the bottom of the list! Even the Badonk is down as a Br00tal high gain amp, but it's got a lot of range in there. It will definitely do cleans and drive sounds along with the high gain stuff.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • JotaJota Frets: 449
    The Litigator is also very good at the clean Fender / dirty Marshall thing but I like the brightness of the Plexi brt a little more.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I found this I record a while ago to show the clean up with picking dynamics to a friend.
    This is my dirty rhythm snapshot with a SG Special (P-90s):

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 6976
    Been a while since I had a full-fat-Helix (just the FX now) but iirc the one called "Cartographer" was good at both low and high (high for me = classic rock :-) ) gain 
    "Congratulations on being officially the most right anyone has ever been about anything, ever." -- Noisepolluter knows the score
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • susbemolsusbemol Frets: 339
    Quick example of a 2-channel setup with the new Ventoux amp:

You can download it from here: https://line6.com/customtone/tone/5721543/
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • John_P said:

Ideally I'd like to use snapshots to change the amp model but it struggles to do that so has anyone found tow that go together and still have capacity for an od pedal, delay and reverb
     or have you found an amp model that sounds ok with clean and higher gain sounds that I can just change the drive?  (most seem to work well with one or the other)
    I use the either the pv Panama or the cali rectifier and snapshot the gain down massively (and sometimes put a gain block on negative db, too).
  • markslade07markslade07 Frets: 811
    edited March 2022
    susbemol said:
    Quick example of a 2-channel setup with the new Ventoux amp:

You can download it from here: https://line6.com/customtone/tone/5721543/
    Cheers for that....downloaded and will give it a try later.

Having a massive love/ hate relationship with my Helix at the min. Really liking clean tones I'm getting, mostly using the Twin, but not liking any drive/ crunch/ lead ones...all sound a bit....farty? I've tried all sorts of things...Jason Sadites templates, customtone downloads, paid for IRs etc but still nothing I'm really happy with yet. Perhaps I need to try dual amps with one for clean and one for drive....
    I also wonder if it's my Laney LFR that's doing it...just seems to fart out when at rehearsal/ gig levels, yet at home it seems ok. I only play mod and indie stuff so nothing high gain but I had a very frustrating rehearsal last night. Grrrr
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2890
    @markslade07 are you using a guitar with hot pickups? Try switching the input pad on if so.

I'm using an LFR too and am loving the drive tones. You just need to find the right amp + IR combo IMO. I use separate amps for clean and lead too.

One thing I've found with the Helix is that it will sound different at higher volumes than it does at home through monitors, and subsequently through headphones. Although they're all in theory FRFR, they're all vastly different size speakers. I would suggest fine-tuning at band volume and not farting around with it at home, or copy the patches and refine each one for each situation.
    Bidley said:
    @markslade07 are you using a guitar with hot pickups? Try switching the input pad on if so.

I'm using an LFR too and am loving the drive tones. You just need to find the right amp + IR combo IMO. I use separate amps for clean and lead too.

One thing I've found with the Helix is that it will sound different at higher volumes than it does at home through monitors, and subsequently through headphones. Although they're all in theory FRFR, they're all vastly different size speakers. I would suggest fine-tuning at band volume and not farting around with it at home, or copy the patches and refine each one for each situation.
    @Bidley Nope, not really...a Tele with 2 x WRHB, a Tele with a SC & WRHB and a Epi 335 Pro with Alnico Clasic Pro HBs. I never use monitors or headphones with it, I think it is more the volume thing...or where I stand in front of it etc...

I think separate amps for drives and cleans is the way forward....not got too much time before a gig on Sat to play but will have a go next week.
    @markslade07 yes it probably is the volume then.

I remember when I first brought my Helix to band practice. First thing I had to do was turn the gain and treble down. Also I just leave the HF trim control on the Laney at 12 o'clock to begin with, then just use that to adjust for different rooms. It's surprisingly powerful. I also leave the volume on it at 12 o'clock and use the Helix volume control.
    Bidley said:
    @markslade07 yes it probably is the volume then.

I remember when I first brought my Helix to band practice. First thing I had to do was turn the gain and treble down. Also I just leave the HF trim control on the Laney at 12 o'clock to begin with, then just use that to adjust for different rooms. It's surprisingly powerful. I also leave the volume on it at 12 o'clock and use the Helix volume control.
    @Bidley  ;Interesting about the Laney volume control....I've been doing it the other way...setting the Helix to 3 o'clock-ish, and changing the Laney volume depending on the situation. Will try it the other way round, see what difference it makes
  • I have an HX Stomp optimal routing question which I just can't get my head around.

I have a G3 Atom and a normalled patchbay connecter box that allows me to have an optional effects loop for when an amp or setup has one.

The Atom has drives and delay and reverb in the loops.  The delay and reverb are midi so don't *have* to be in a loop. All is mono.

I want to include the HX Stomp but have the option of using it as end of chain with amp/cab for headphones or when using an amp as an FX device for modulation and other random bits I might want on the odd occasion.

Obviously the Stomp has two FX loops which I could use - this might allow me to be able to use pitch FX before the Atom etc potentially but I am just not sure what the most flexible option is especially when I think to try and preserve the effects loop option I have with connector box as well as the Stomps own.

Happy to buy a box to put things in or out of the loop etc but I just can't get my brain to compute the ideal setup.
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1927
    I have an HX Stomp optimal routing question which I just can't get my head around.

I have a G3 Atom and a normalled patchbay connecter box that allows me to have an optional effects loop for when an amp or setup has one.

The Atom has drives and delay and reverb in the loops.  The delay and reverb are midi so don't *have* to be in a loop. All is mono.

I want to include the HX Stomp but have the option of using it as end of chain with amp/cab for headphones or when using an amp as an FX device for modulation and other random bits I might want on the odd occasion.

Obviously the Stomp has two FX loops which I could use - this might allow me to be able to use pitch FX before the Atom etc potentially but I am just not sure what the most flexible option is especially when I think to try and preserve the effects loop option I have with connector box as well as the Stomps own.

Happy to buy a box to put things in or out of the loop etc but I just can't get my brain to compute the ideal setup.
    How many blocks you planning on using on the stomp ? 

I have mine set up with a boss es5, to be 
    1) before amp 
    2) in FX 
    3) take feed from two notes captor for IR headphone practice. 

Complicated to explain but I can take a picture later 
  • as many I can of course but realistically if using as an amp/cab prob 1-2 if using as FX then I guess 3-4. pictures would definitely help - no idea why I am struggling to work it out haha
    Just had my first electric guitar gig with the Helix straight into the PA. Took me all of 5 minutes to set up. Just chucked my Lt on the floor, gave the sound guy an XLR, he was well pleased. Sounded great out front. Bit of a revelation!
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1525
    Bidley said:
    Just had my first electric guitar gig with the Helix straight into the PA. Took me all of 5 minutes to set up. Just chucked my Lt on the floor, gave the sound guy an XLR, he was well pleased. Sounded great out front. Bit of a revelation!
    Like me I expect you'll really, really miss the authentic gig experience of having to carry an amp that weighs more than a small house.  Not ;)

Until I got my Helix I didn't realise it was possible to play a gig without hurting my back.
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
    edited March 2022
    siremoon said:
    Bidley said:
    Like me I expect you'll really, really miss the authentic gig experience of having to carry an amp that weighs more than a small house.  Not

Until I got my Helix I didn't realise it was possible to play a gig without hurting my back.
    I'm currently trying to work out how to do it without my fairly heavy Laney LFR and just go into the desk....but our monitors are shite and we only have 1 monitor mix on our desk anyway so I'm still stuck taking it at the min I think
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2100
    siremoon said:
    Bidley said:
    Like me I expect you'll really, really miss the authentic gig experience of having to carry an amp that weighs more than a small house.  Not

I'm currently trying to work out how to do it without my fairly heavy Laney LFR and just go into the desk....but our monitors are shite and we only have 1 monitor mix on our desk anyway so I'm still stuck taking it at the min I think
    That's what I'm considering. At the moment, as a 5 piece we are on our first proper gigs having only started to write in April 2021. Now we are getting better and some gigs are fairly cramped, I am considering just my powered 1x12 and a board with the HX stomp on it. It means I'll have consistent tone I think.

Hmm....the only thing is the other guitarist is an amp guy and isn't interested in go down the modelling rote, so would it would well with his more tradtional setup?

At the moment I'm just taking an Orange Dual Terror and using the house cabs/other bands cabs. 
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3376

Hmm....the only thing is the other guitarist is an amp guy and isn't interested in go down the modelling rote, so would it would well with his more tradtional setup?

I play in two bands.  My setup is Helix > PA with monitoring through wired IEM (the rest of the band are either IEM or conventional monitors).  In both bands the other guitarist uses a conventional amp.

In both cases the other guitarists have, in recent years, renewed their amps (neither being happy with their sound).  I suggested to both that they try the modelling route but neither thought that it was for them.  Now they both want to know how come I sound so good / can have such a variety of sounds / can hear myself etc when they struggle.

I'm afraid that Tone Envy from the other guitarist is something that you're going to have to learn to live with =)
    siremoon said:
    Bidley said:
    Like me I expect you'll really, really miss the authentic gig experience of having to carry an amp that weighs more than a small house.  Not ;)

Everything about it was better than a conventional setup! I was ready to go before the drummer had even got his stands set up! Annoyingly I had already lugged my LFR from the car upstairs, but it was great to be able to say I can happily just use the Helix as long as there is some kind of monitoring. Which incidentally was just a single 8 inch PA speaker on it's side at the side of the "stage".
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 2922
    Bidley said:
    siremoon said:
    Bidley said:

Everything about it was better than a conventional setup! I was ready to go before the drummer had even got his stands set up! Annoyingly I had already lugged my LFR from the car upstairs, but it was great to be able to say I can happily just use the Helix as long as there is some kind of monitoring. Which incidentally was just a single 8 inch PA speaker on it's side at the side of the "stage".
    This is why I love my Helix. I run the PA for our band too, so I don't get a lot of time to mess on with setting up my own gear. With the Helix, I just take the back off the rack, and patch it into the PA - done! (Well, technically, I have to run a cable to the floorboard too, but that takes only seconds!).

You can argue all you like about whether or not a real amp sounds better[1] but nothing beats the convenience of modelling.

[1] I don't personally think anyone in the audience could ever tell the difference
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

[1] I don't personally think anyone in the audience could ever tell the difference
    Or indeed care...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 25239
    Bidley said:
    siremoon said:
    Bidley said:

This is why I love my Helix. I run the PA for our band too, so I don't get a lot of time to mess on with setting up my own gear. With the Helix, I just take the back off the rack, and patch it into the PA - done! (Well, technically, I have to run a cable to the floorboard too, but that takes only seconds!).

You can argue all you like about whether or not a real amp sounds better[1] but nothing beats the convenience of modelling.

Indeed. For me, I have the Stomp and a PS170 on my board, so I just plug in a guitar and a cab, and I'm done. That's about as convenient as it gets (I'm not a fan of full-range stuff, I'd much rather have a mic on a real speaker).

The thing is...it doesn't really matter if the guitar sounds amazing or crap; it's whether it fits well in the mix and adds to the sound of the band. With modern modellers, that's more a function of user skill than anything.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    It's probably the happiest I've been with my live sound. Previously it's always been about compromise but for this one (and it was a toilet venue in North London, so not a great setup by any stretch) I could hear myself perfectly and it sounded exactly how I wanted. It meant I spent precisely none of our set worrying about my sound and more about, you know, enjoying playing!
  • Any advice on using the wah models?

I play a charvel with dimarzio tone zone pickup, into helix usually a recto amp with a tube screamer, verb and delay.. Piped out to FOH and a laney lfr112...

Just not smitten with any of the wah models tbh.. Tried reducing the mix...

Doesn't sound too bad at home with m-audio monitors, even with 100% mix.

But in a live situation with drummer etc, just lacks.. Not sure if it's my technique or if I should boost the level... 

Ideas? 
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• BodBod Frets: 1206
    edited March 2022
    I don't have any experience with the Helix wahs, but maybe set up an EQ to kick-in or modulate at the same time as the wah activates?
    I use the wah on my Stomp, not much but it gets used. 
    Can't remember what model I've been using but it sounds good to me and I always lower the volume, something I can't do with my regular wah, and that's why I prefer the Helix. 
  • Jota said:
    I use the wah on my Stomp, not much but it gets used. 
    Can't remember what model I've been using but it sounds good to me and I always lower the volume, something I can't do with my regular wah, and that's why I prefer the Helix. 
    Lower the volume? Or the mix level? 
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• abw1989abw1989 Frets: 569
    Any advice on using the wah models?

Try a few different wah settings. Here's a few different ranges to roughly match up against the various Cry Baby models
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter