Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Line 6 Helix - Digital & Modelling Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• JotaJota Frets: 449
    TTBZ said:
    Placater Dirty is the best amp in the Helix imo! Not worth bothering with the other Marshall style ones even for lower gain, they just don't sound right.

Well, I actually prefer the Plexi brt!
    Less low end, more spank.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1927
    You can globally set the system to save or discard changes . 

Save = if you adjust the mix of the delay from X to Y. Then next time you go to that snap shot the delay time will be Y. 
    Discard = if you adjust the mix of the delay from X to Y. Then next time you go to that snap shot the delay time will be X. 

You can also individually set the bypass of an individual block to ignore snap shot changes . 

E.g. you have a clean / crunch / lead snapshot. 
    You have a pitch shifter set to -1 semitone within the patch. 

You can have the pitch off and play in standard. 
    Or 
    You can turn it on and play dropped. 
    All whilst switching the same between snapshots. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 6976
    edited February 2022
    returning to HX after a layoff (HX FX but this thread is where the HX knowledge is at)  

Spring Reverb - what's your go-to block for that?

It looks like the '63 Spring is now a "legacy" model so I'm assuming there's something flashier now? Is Double Tank the one? (it had many parameters so I ran away here to ask before faffing) 
    "Congratulations on being officially the most right anyone has ever been about anything, ever." -- Noisepolluter knows the score
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Hotsprings I think. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

Hotsprings I think. 
    Cheers
    "Congratulations on being officially the most right anyone has ever been about anything, ever." -- Noisepolluter knows the score
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1525
    AsterixTG said:
    Jota said:
    3.15 is close!
    I think it will be availble next week.
    This would be my first update while owning the Helix - what's the deal, back up everything (how's that done, copy all the presets you want to keep?, do the update, re-load presets?
    It's quite straightforward.  If you live outside the United States you just follow the upgrade instructions in the release notes one at a time, in order, and it usually works fine.  If you live in the United States then you don't read the release notes, do a set of totally random things you just thought of and then complain on TGP when it doesn't work.  ;)  
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
    12reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • shuikitshuikit Frets: 221
    Jota said:
    AsterixTG said:
    Jota said:
    3.15 is close!
    I think it will be availble next week.
    This would be my first update while owning the Helix - what's the deal, back up everything (how's that done, copy all the presets you want to keep?, do the update, re-load presets?

Before updating you'll be asked to do a backup.
    After the backup is done you just have to update.
    Usually everything stays (presets, etc) but if there's something that got erased, just load the backup.
    Sometimes some Global settings need to be reset to your specs.
    You'll only be asked to do a backup if you use HX edit to do the update. You won't if you use the separate updater program.

It is recommended that after the the update has completed that you do a full factory reset (on full helix hold middle two fs while turning off and on), then restore from backup and then do another power cycle to rebuild all the presets
  • shuikitshuikit Frets: 221
    BlueStrat said:
    is there a way to delete patches from Helix before backup? I've put a ton of cra pon there I'd like to clean out

If you right click on any block then there's a clear all blocks option, but that doesn't clear out the preset name, so I tend to just copy paste a blank preset over it.

OR

If you want to clear out an entire setlist then there's a blank one on here that you can import over the one you want rid of https://line6.com/support/topic/54673-would-someone-be-so-kind-to-share-a-blank-setlist-with-me/

OR

If you're doing a backup and restore, then before you do the restore, you can deselect any set lists that you don't want to restore/import.  Of course, you can do this while doing a firmware update following the recommended backup, update, factory reset, restore procedure.
  • Helix/HX 3.15 is now available. CLICK THIS LINK AND READ THE RELEASE NOTES!

Chief Product Design Architect, Yamaha Guitar Group | Line 6 | Ampeg
    0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

• Here's the new stuff in 3.15 and a couple features that you ought to know about!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BodBod Frets: 1206
    Helix/HX 3.15 is now available. CLICK THIS LINK AND READ THE RELEASE NOTES!

What an amazing update for only 0.4 of a version increment!  Looking forward to trying this out - thanks!

• Loads to play with there, looks a great update!
    Ooh - loadsa delays and verbs for my HX FX… 
  • This looks good. Anybody know if/when a Pod Go update will follow?
  • This looks good. Anybody know if/when a Pod Go update will follow?
    Don't quote me, but I reckon sometime this spring.
    Chief Product Design Architect, Yamaha Guitar Group | Line 6 | Ampeg
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3252
    The new amp is great, very versatile. Lower Drive and HP Filter, and raise Mids and it's a beautiful clean amp. Metal Zone 2 pedal does that sound exactly, better than the Heavy Metal 2 IMO. Out of the new delays, I really liked the Criss Cross, it sounds good out of the box. Same for Heliosphere. A bit underwhelmed by the Shimmer, I think it has potential but needs tweaking. ADT might be one that goes into almost all patches, but with shorter delays than default. I know several pros have used multiple amps with very short delays between them to thicken the sound, e.g. Shawn Lane.
  • carlos said:
    The new amp is great, very versatile. Lower Drive and HP Filter, and raise Mids and it's a beautiful clean amp. Metal Zone 2 pedal does that sound exactly, better than the Heavy Metal 2 IMO. Out of the new delays, I really liked the Criss Cross, it sounds good out of the box. Same for Heliosphere. A bit underwhelmed by the Shimmer, I think it has potential but needs tweaking. ADT might be one that goes into almost all patches, but with shorter delays than default. I know several pros have used multiple amps with very short delays between them to thicken the sound, e.g. Shawn Lane.
    @JohnCordy has just done a great vid on the Shimmer reverb...very useful, as I didn't like it out of the box either, but some tweaking gets it much nicer

https://youtu.be/o9Ts2ty-0iI
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CleckoClecko Frets: 265
    The Ventoux amp is fantastic! Had to watch the Jason Sadites dialling in video to get my head around the controls, but I love it. I stuck his free, single snapshot patch on this morning and it's a real player's preset. Also took the opportunity to stick a few other patches on and have also found that the Dumblesque 2 and - particularly - Stereo Kellen patches are superb. 

I've said it before, but I can't believe how much development Line 6 push out for free on these units. I've found my Helix feeling like better and better value since I bought it a few years back. I've become a total fan boy. 
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2890
    Adding the guitar pad to the input block is a great move! Easier to change if you use multiple guitars.

What another great update.
  • Agree about the new amp - took the Sadites free snapshot, stuck my basic FX on (I use hardly anything - delay & phase) and a Tube Screamer 808, or whatever it's called, - sounds epic. Really responsive too, rolls off nicely.

Changed cabs to the 4x12 celestion 25s too - bit more punch.

Closest I've got to the sound PhilX uses in his Sabbath Drills video
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 885
    AsterixTG said:
    Agree about the new amp - took the Sadites free snapshot, stuck my basic FX on (I use hardly anything - delay & phase) and a Tube Screamer 808, or whatever it's called, - sounds epic. Really responsive too, rolls off nicely.

Is it this one? : https://line6.com/customtone/tone/5702926/
  • duotone said:
    AsterixTG said:
    Agree about the new amp - took the Sadites free snapshot, stuck my basic FX on (I use hardly anything - delay & phase) and a Tube Screamer 808, or whatever it's called, - sounds epic. Really responsive too, rolls off nicely.

Is it this one? : https://line6.com/customtone/tone/5702926/
    That's the fella.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 885
    Cheers @AsterixTG ;
    Will try it out when I do the update.

• My Stomp inexplicably lost it's USB connection halfway through.. I had to factory reset then restore. I think it was because I used a different USB port to last time. Very worrying when it was frozen on the boot up screen.

I know we all know this but: take loads of backups!
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• duotone said:
    Cheers @AsterixTG ;
    Will try it out when I do the update.

Cool - I think I upped the gain on the 808 to 8.0, tone 7.5 - and removed the low & high cuts on the cab (he always does those in the final eq iirc)
    carlos said:
    @JohnCordy has just done a great vid on the Shimmer reverb...very useful, as I didn't like it out of the box either, but some tweaking gets it much nicer

https://youtu.be/o9Ts2ty-0iI
    I watched most of that earlier today @JohnCordy has done a brilliant job on it. I honestly just get scared and run away with these blocks that have 6+ parameters but seeing that has emboldened me :-) 
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2725
    HX stomp related rather than full helix but I figure this is the best place to ask.     

Is it possible to change the footswitch colour for different presets or snapshots?     
    Looks like it is fixed as red for presets and white for snapshots but it would be very handy to have the switch show which snapshot is selected by changing colour. 
    John_P said:
    HX stomp related rather than full helix but I figure this is the best place to ask.     

Is it possible to change the footswitch colour for different presets or snapshots?     
    Looks like it is fixed as red for presets and white for snapshots but it would be very handy to have the switch show which snapshot is selected by changing colour. 

You can change colours of Snapshots and names of the Snapshots.
    While in Snapshot mode, hit the Action button and you should have those options. (I don't have the unit with me right now)
    You can also do it on the HX Edit.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2725
    Another hxstomp related question - given the limitations, what amp modells are people using to give a clean and dirty sound in one preset?   

Ideally I'd like to use snapshots to change the amp model but it struggles to do that so has anyone found tow that go together and still have capacity for an od pedal, delay and reverb
     or have you found an amp model that sounds ok with clean and higher gain sounds that I can just change the drive?  (most seem to work well with one or the other)
    John_P said:
    Another hxstomp related question - given the limitations, what amp modells are people using to give a clean and dirty sound in one preset?   

Ideally I'd like to use snapshots to change the amp model but it struggles to do that so has anyone found tow that go together and still have capacity for an od pedal, delay and reverb
     or have you found an amp model that sounds ok with clean and higher gain sounds that I can just change the drive?  (most seem to work well with one or the other)

I'm using the Plexi Brt model.
    I'm not going high gain. i'm doing clean and a little over AC/DC dirt. I push it with a PoT for lead parts