Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Line 6 Helix - Digital & Modelling Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7708
    To be fair to line 6 the interest in this seems huge. I know a few people w
    DesVegas;810196" said:
    "rather it be right than ship it to you and you be disappointed" 

he already is disappointed
    But a better kind of disappointed as ge still has his money.

Nothing is worse than buying expensive stuff that is shit.

I also work in cutting edge technology and release dates are extremely difficult to hit... especially if bugs are found.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Drew_fx said:I too have pre-paid in full, and I too am eager to get my unit! Andertons took £1068 quid out of my account as soon as I ordered, and I've not really heard much from them. I expect they don't really know what is going on right now.
    "Dear Drew,

Apologies for our delay in replying to you. We heard TNBD are splitting and we've been too upset to process orders. 

Love,

Andertons". 

10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22443
    :))

Bastard.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Balls
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3260
    Drew_fx said:
    guitargeek62;810354" said:
    Mine's saying Oct 14th.
    Just got this from Andertons:
    We checked with Line 6 yesterday and the Helix are still on course to arrive to us on the 30th of October. We are hoping that this will be the case. If you got any more news, we will let you know.

:-?
    they're just stalling to ensure that they can keep your dosh... [/trolling].. lmao
    play every note as if it were your first
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Drew_fx said:
       Well I typed my card details in and clicked pay. *shrug*
    Who is Shrug?... and why would you give them your money?... they don't even stock Line 6.
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Christ. That sounds impressive.

Not in a "for line 6" way. Sounds basically more like a super premium Fractal model.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3773
    sounds great!
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 3696
    edited October 2015
    There's some lovely demos in here, takes a bit of perusing though.

Most of this guys clips are great to be honest, this one in particular adds hope for what I wanted to achieve:

Btw @Drew_FX - I found a Tool one via an SLO;

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

LOL.

Yeah, I played the DI for it!!!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Drew_fx said:

LOL.

Yeah, I played the DI for it!!!
    Haha!!! Totally missed that, I was just scanning for clips - nice work! :D
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8281
    Hmmm. Some of those clips sound amazing.

This complicates things.
  • I'd have never guessed this was modelled;

• Those clips reinforce my desire for a Line 6 Helix FX.

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4005
    I thought the SLO lead sounded terrible imho, the rest sounded delicious, I'm still buying one as soon as Yamaha pull their finger out ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    sweepy said:
    I thought the SLO lead sounded terrible imho
    It sounded like a mic'd up high-gain amp to me.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7416
    edited October 2015
    Oh my god, this is all really crazy. I am a home player (mostly) and thinking this is *the* home player's wet dream. Run it into a small amp in 4cm and it's an awesome effects and amp modelling unit.

I really hope they add other delay algos and some good synth sweep stuff. I wonder if the wah models are any good? It's something the m5 had but sadly they just don't cut the mustard...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Yeah I think the clips that have been posted recently have been good sounding.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8281
    I'm finding it fascinating how varied the opinion on the different clips are - both here and in that linked TGP thread. I'll hear something that's totally flat/ boring/ nothing special and someone will be raving about how realistic it is. Then another clip is bloody brilliant, a sound I'd be proud to get, and someone will say it's really horrible and clearly sounds like a digital model. Then in that TGP thread, people are posting recordings of real valve amps and saying "I wonder if it can do THIS", I listen and the tone is nothing special at all.

Yesterday evening I spent an hour experimenting with mic choice + position on my Mesa, basically to learn how the speakers I've put in it actually sound close miked - where the sweet spots are. And I variously got tones that were good, fat, muddy, harsh, brittle, fizzy, nasal... just by moving a mic about.

In the context of that kind of variability, the idea that you can judge how real a modeller sounds, or that such a judgement is a worthwhile pursuit at all, kind of becomes a bit laughable. It's like, if you have a valve amp you spend your time chasing a sound that's good, when you have a modeller you spend your time chasing a sound that's real. Psychologically it's a headfuck, because you're chasing an ideal that probably doesn't exist. Valve amps can sound bad. Modellers can sound great. Pick your tool and make good music.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 17reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3275
    edited October 2015
    Really impressed by a lot of the sounds but yeah, I'm not enjoying that SLO one at all. The AC30 loop one sounds superb, it makes me wonder if I do actually like Vox amps after all...
  • handsomerikhandsomerik Frets: 985
    edited October 2015
    Wisdom from @cirrus

Stop chasing the unicorn and make good music with whatever you have/can afford/ happen to like.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7928
    edited October 2015
    Cirrus said:
    Valve amps can sound bad. Modellers can sound great. Pick your tool and make good music.

Absolutely this.

When you mic a real cab you take if for granted that you'll sweep the mic about - if you were to do all those tiny movements as individual impulses the number compared would be huge.  Some positions could sound great,some could sound terrible, it takes experimentation to work out what works for what you need.  A valve amp doesn't automatically sound right just because it is mic'd up.

To begin with, buying cab packs with hundreds of IRs seemed overkill to me.  But I've got a few (Ownhammer and ML Sound Labs) and I find them very useful to scroll through various positions quickly - say to shoot out a bunch of SM57 options on the same cab.  
    When you mic a real cab you take if for granted that you'll sweep the mic about - if you were to do all those tiny movements as individual impulses the number compared would be huge
    Hence Redwirez :)
  • Cirrus said: Valve amps can sound bad. Modellers can sound great. Pick your tool and make good music.
    Another wis from me. I think this sounds great:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Setup 1: VHT Sig X + Voodoo Labs Control Switcher + Helix in 4-cable-method
    Setup 2: Diezel D-Moll + Helix in 4 cable method sending midi to the Diezel
    Setup 3: Helix as a USB interface for home recording
    Setup 4: Helix as a standalone performance tool into FOH

I want my unit dammit!
  • FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    Must admit, my interest level has gone from 'Heh, that looks pretty cool' to 'Oh crap, I think this might actually require me to sell a kidney on eBay' after hearing some of the clips and reading up on the routing options, etc. Really does seem like a lot of things I've been wanting in a digital solution but never found.
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8409
    I kinda want one, but then I kinda want an AX8 too. The clips are good but don't get me overly excited - I think I'm gonna be real patient here and wait for users of both to settle with them. Sometime next year maybe...............
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    dindude said:
    I kinda want one, but then I kinda want an AX8 too. The clips are good but don't get me overly excited - I think I'm gonna be real patient here and wait for users of both to settle with them. Sometime next year maybe...............
    I too am going to see when the dust settles and the effects of hype and new buyer syndrome have worn off and then I could well see a Helix being my whole rig.

I won't be getting an AX8 though as I've attempted to use an AxeFX and the workflow really put me off.