Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The cricket thread - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The cricket thread

What's Hot

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 10961
    For all the shambolic batting, they have made enough to keep them in the match.

If they had been bowled out for 67 again, it would have been a bit much to expect a repeat of Headingley.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • crunchman said:
    For all the shambolic batting, they have made enough to keep them in the match.

If they had been bowled out for 67 again, it would have been a bit much to expect a repeat of Headingley.

Negative thinking: the defeat by an innings is still on...

Positive thinking: well at least we avoided the follow-on! :)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Now surely it's time to put Jofra below Leach as well in the order... 
    I agree, Leachy has the right batting temperament and on his day will be very valuable with runs.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ButtLeach now have the second highest partnership of the innings. 

@earwighoney Gill's in the squad for SA :)

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/27598493/shubman-gill-gets-maiden-call-india-test-squad-rohit-sharma-picked-opener

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13679
    edited September 2019
    at last, a bit of twilight form from Buttler but he slashes like a madman

• ButtLeach now have the second highest partnership of the innings. 

@earwighoney Gill's in the squad for SA :)

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/27598493/shubman-gill-gets-maiden-call-india-test-squad-rohit-sharma-picked-opener
    Thanks for the info!  I hope he manages to get into the team and score some runs, he's one of the most aesthetically pleasing young batsmen I've come across for a while, he has a very nice tidy and effective defensive technique, it's not difficult to tell Rahul Dravid's been working with him very closely over the last few years, RD was a delight to watch play defensive cricketing shots. 

Back to the test match, great to see ButtLea build a solid partnership.  It's a pretty decent recovery now.  
  • 82 overs in 6.5 hours of play.  

That's fucking terrible.  Paine should be fined for a slow over rate but there's no chance of that happening. 
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    I suppose 271-8 isn't too bad after you've been put in, but you'd have expected more given the score at tea. 
    Back to the County Championship, Somerset have won, and Essex still have a bit of work to do to get out with a draw.  They are 278 for 6, needing 368 to avoid the follow on.
    crunchman said:
    Back to the County Championship...
    Darren Stevens - two five-fers and an 88 at the age of 43. And Kent won't offer him a contract for next year.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • camf said:
    So often this summer, the English batsmen have batted like a bunch of knobs. Very frustrating for their supporters but these batsmen just don’t seem to learn. Good luck to the new coach. 
    I'm not convinced these batsmen even want to learn. Lots of them know they won't get dropped regardless which can't help. 
  • scrumhalf said:
    crunchman said:
    Back to the County Championship...
    Darren Stevens - two five-fers and an 88 at the age of 43. And Kent won't offer him a contract for next year.
    And he's topping the bowling averages.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/teams/kent/averages

It's an odd one because their attack is quite decently mixed in terms of young versus experienced. Claydon and Stevens represent the older fraternity, Podmore and Milnes the younger. When he is still delivering with the ball, he's surely worth a red ball contract at least and move to get him doing some coaching. 

I'm really pleased that Kent managed to stay up this year as they're another county who have faced considerable financial pressures and who don't have international cricket to help fill the coffers. They've brought through homegrown players and haven't relied upon overseas or Kolpak players. Amazing to look at the Notts averages as it does reinforce how badly they've batted this year. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/teams/nottinghamshire/averages

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    82 overs in 6.5 hours of play.  

That's fucking terrible.  Paine should be fined for a slow over rate but there's no chance of that happening. 
    The slow over rate has been an issue your to long - I can't see why a fine would help - A winning captain would be happy with the outcome of the match not a paltry fine 

A ban might be more useful to either the captain and/or part of the bowling attack

The other option is to add X amount of runs to the batting teams score, as extras, for every over not bowled in either a one hour spell or a 2 hour session - Not calculated at the end of the day - But added during the play as say lunch and tea

Say 10 runs per over and then see what happens - So effectively 7 overs lost yesterday - We are now 70 runs better off
    They can ban a captain for a slow over rate.  I think Morgan had to miss a match in the build up to the World Cup.

I wonder if Paine will retire though, which would render it a bit of a useless threat.
    Bad luck Buttler, inside edge onto pad and into the stumps.

294-9.
    Leach plays on, 294 all out.

Not enough. 
    scrumhalf said:
    Leach plays on, 294 all out.

Not enough. 
    Depends if the ball swings.  It swung for Marsh.  If it swings for Curran, it might be an ok score.

A 30 run first innings deficit wouldn't be a disaster as Australia will have to bat last.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    crunchman said:
    They can ban a captain for a slow over rate.  I think Morgan had to miss a match in the build up to the World Cup.

I wonder if Paine will retire though, which would render it a bit of a useless threat.
    To ban for a build up match is no big deal - A ban is alright if effective

Maybe have a sin bin for the captain or a bowler for say the next session - so play with 10 men for a session - repeat as required

Fines are useless - It has to be something that 'hurts' the bowling team 

Granted take into account time spent on wickets falling etc 
    Warner scores a run!!! 
    Rather than ban the captain, maybe they should let the opposition in the next match choose which player will be banned.  Be a bit more of an incentive to bowl the overs if you knew that Smith or Cummins would miss the next match.
    scrumhalf said:
    Warner scores a run!!! 
    But not much more. Holding seems a little annoyed by the decision. 
    scrumhalf said:
    scrumhalf said:
    Warner scores a run!!! 
    But not much more. Holding seems a little annoyed by the decision. 
    Maxwell on the radio say he thinks Warner hit it, and that Warner knew he hit it.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 14862
    warner out for 5. I said earlier I'd be happy if we lose the series 5-0 (so they exceeded my expectations there) in exchange for warner having a shit series. So on the whole I regard it as a good summer.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Cricket is steeped in tradition. Has the Warner low score replaced the Watson shuffle, lbw and failed review? 
  • scrumhalf said:
    Cricket is steeped in tradition. Has the Warner low score replaced the Watson shuffle, lbw and failed review? 
    Not a chance. Warner's dismissals are two-minute punk singles. Watson's dismissals came from the quill of the fair Bard himself. 

The performance opens with Watson at the top of the order striking some lovely looking shots. The majesty of his cover drive takes him to another 50. Surely this time that dreadful conversation rate statistic will be made a little more palatable? 

But no! A ball sneaks through and strikes the would be king on the pad.  He's only half forward. The audience gasp, the umpire raises the finger, and Watson transforms from rock solid king into Macbeth after Banquo's ghost turns up for dinner. Strength departs and only desperation remains. The bat moves from being an instrument of execution to a tool of desperation as it forms the top line of a T as it rests upon a vertical left forearm.  

The pause. The anticipation. The inevitability. 

The king left weeping on the floor as the beauty of his innings to that point is torn apart by the sound of half cut Brummies singing the Cheerio song. 

Nothing can ever replace that :D

edited September 2019
    Can't Austratlia make Steve Smith captain? Maybe his batting would suffer :-)

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 21788
    edited September 2019
    Can't Austratlia make Steve Smith captain? Maybe his battiung would suffer :-)

Historically there hasn't been a big drop off in performance for Aussie captains. 

Allan Border: 50.94 as captain versus 50.56 overall
    Ricky Ponting: 51.51 versus 51.81
    Mark Taylor: 39.36 versus 43.49
    Steve Waugh: 52.30 versus 51.60

Bradman inevitably got better as captain: 101.51 versus that figure everyone knows. 

And the sad reality is that Smith averages 70.36 as captain against a career average of 65.05 so we can't even jinx him that way. 

The recent English captains:

Alastair Cook: 46.57 as captain versus 45.35 overall
    Michael Vaughan: 36.02 versus 41.44
    Nasser Hussain: 36.04 versus 37.18
    David Gower: 43.59 versus 44.25
    Graham Gooch: 58.72 versus 42.58 (!)

Joe Root: 41.15 versus 48.09

So the Root drop off in performance is pretty stark really when you compare it to some of his predecessors.  

edited September 2019
    Can't Austratlia make Steve Smith captain? Maybe his battiung would suffer :-)

Historically there hasn't been a big drop off in performance for Aussie captains. 

Allan Border: 50.94 as captain versus 50.56 overall
    Ricky Ponting: 51.51 versus 51.81
    Mark Taylor: 39.36 versus 43.49
    Steve Waugh: 52.30 versus 51.60

Bradman inevitably got better as captain: 101.51 versus that figure everyone knows. 

And the sad reality is that Smith averages 70.36 as captain against a career average of 65.05 so we can't even jinx him that way. 

The recent English captains:

Alastair Cook: 46.57 as captain versus 45.35 overall
    Michael Vaughan: 36.02 versus 41.44
    Nasser Hussain: 36.04 versus 37.18
    David Gower: 43.59 versus 44.25
    Graham Gooch: 58.72 versus 42.58 (!)

Joe Root: 41.15 versus 48.09

So the Root drop off in performance is pretty stark really when you compare it to some of his predecessors.  
    Interesting Stats, Freddie Flintoff was an interesting captain, from memory he did pretty well didn't he until his ankle injury took him out?

• I’m so sick of Steve Smith 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I’m so sick of Steve Smith 

Don't be, he's an oustanding batsman and England should relish the challenge, how does Smit go against other teams? Someone must be able to get him.